Found Deceased CA - Iván Liñán Cano, 31, Carlotta, 28 Nov 2017 *Spanish individual*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

nitroglicerino

Reaction score
http://kiem-tv.com/2017/11/29/missing-man-possibly-midst-mental-health-episode/

7nEfyQ3.jpg

Last night at 8PM, deputies responded to the Carlotta area on Highway 36 where Ivan Linan of Spain had been riding in a vehicle, when he demanded to get out.

The driver stopped, and Linan punched him before running into nearby woods.

Deputies searched, but haven’t found Linan.

He is about 30 years old, has a light complexion, and is 5’8’’ with a thin build, brown hair, brown eyes and a “reddish” colored mustache and beard.

Linan he speaks broken English, and was wearing a black mountain jacket and dark colored waterproof pants when he went missing.

Attachments

• ry4dtss.jpg
    ry4dtss.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 77
first thought.. who was the driver?
Any corroboration to his version?
like passerby witness, cams?

https://politica.elpais.com/politica/2017/12/03/actualidad/1512297268_061523.html

Sorry that information on this case is mostly in Spanish. Even Spanish newspapers are not really giving out much information.

The articles published in my home country state so far that ILC was travelling in a vehicle with a friend of his -a fellow Spaniard- who was taking him to the airport so that he could board his plane on time. It seems that at some stage during the car trip ILC became paranoid, suffered a mental breakdown and accused his friend of wanting to take him somewhere else, not the airport. He then punched his friend -the driver- on the face and got out of the car.

Articles published so far also state that prior to his disappearance he had never displayed any signs of mental health problems; ILC obtained a qualification to work as a mountain ranger -apologies that might not be the exact term- one year ago and he was currently involved -quoting from the newspaper- on a personal project.

I have my theory on what might have happened but with so little information going on it is just a theory not based on facts.

It is worrisome that he ran into a forest. I really hope he will be found safe and sound very soon.

Nice that you are here, yurena!
I would appreciate to read your theory, this is still more than the little information known.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/s...adino-desaparecido-california-ivan-linan.html

Darling136,

I joined the community two nights ago and I read the forum rules thoroughly so I am going to try spelling out my theory in terms that are no disrespectful to anyone -this is not my intention at all- and ask Admin that if my post does not comply with the forum rules please have it removed. I am still new to this and perhaps ignorant on how a theory should be worded so please bear with me while I learn how to do things properly.

I believe ILC's disappearance might have something to do with his current status in the USA. The link I have attached from another newspaper and local news on TV indicate he had been job-hunting in the USA for two months. Spain is one of the 38 countries in the visa waiver program which allows us to stay there for up to three months without the need for a visa.

I feel that in a moment of desperation and clouded judgment, knowing that his time in the USA was coming to an end, he did punch his friend and got out of the car without thinking the consequences this could have for him now and in the future. And not even realizing we was getting out of the car in an area just surrounded by forest and no houses.

According to US figures - published in Wikipedia- there are currently 12,559 suspected in-country overstays; Spanish citizens that after their visas -or visa waiver stay limit- expire they fall "under the radar" and never abandon the country.

When carrying out an Internet search on this case the message always comes up that links have been removed under the data protection law in Europe. That, added to the reluctance of Spanish media to give more information on this case and answer straightforward questions, makes me wonder if this is one of those cases.

Again I reiterate my theory does not mean to offend anyone. I am saddened by the fact a fellow Spaniard has been missing for quite a few days now and I really wish for this to have a happy ending, for him and his family. For the little that has been shown on TV, it is clear everybody in Maracena -the small town he comes from, a bit over 22000 inhabitants- is really concerned about him and they miss him a lot.

Where was he catching a flight to? Somewhere else in the United States.

I'm no expert but I imagine by disappearing like this he has put himself on the radar so to speak and if he hasn't secured employment, he'll have to go back to Spain. The fact that he's displayed a moment of mental uncertainty, may also go against him later as far as his visa status.

But right now, that's neither here nor there, he needs to be found and is safe.

It's cold up there and he won't survive the elements for long. I pray he comes to his senses and finds someone for help. I looked at the map and its desolate there, lots of woods and National Forest area.

https://politica.elpais.com/politica/2017/12/03/actualidad/1512297268_061523.html

It was his flight back to Spain.
I pray for the same too Seajay.

Ohhhh. Then his meltdown could have been that he just didn't want to go back yet and not a mental break at all. I wonder if he took his luggage it's him or at least had a carry on bag with things he might need to survive for a time off the grid.

But you said he had a job as a mountain ranger which I imagine is a job with the U. S. Forestry Department as a ranger since I see so many National Parks up that way. It's a good job. Albeit a government job.

Him running probably messes those chances up now.

Still, he needs to be found and out of the elements. His life is in danger if he's not equipped to handle the weather. But on second thought, if he wants to be a ranger, he might be very experienced in outdoor living and surviving.

Is there a chance he went on the run intentionally to not have to go back to Spain?

No, no have a look at my post again please. He got qualified as a mountain ranger one year ago but there is no information on the newspapers or media in general that he had a job. He went to the USA for job-hunting. I assume that if after two months that morning he was taking a place back to Spain that means his search for employment had not been successful.

I must also stress Spanish media often does not follow up cases up to the conclusion. Something which is very frustrating and always leaves people wondering what happened.

He went missing on 28 November, last reports on the newspapers were written on 4 December...

Need to add something that I just found online that could be relevant or totally irrelevant, it is difficult to say. This Italian newspaper claims ILC was carrying 2,000 Euro when he disappeared ; that is roughly 2,348 dollars.

I am slightly wary of this information as no source is mentioned on the article. Again this was written on 4 December so almost two weeks ago. The article also says the Spanish consulate in San Francisco is providing support to his family and helping with the search. Let's hope for good news soon.

http://www.ilmessaggero.it/primopiano/esteri/california_ha_attacco_panico_mentre_in_auto_per_andare_aeroporto_scomparso_giovane_spagnolo-3407877.html

Oh, okay. I'm sorry I misunderstood. So he could have outdoor training and experience. He also possibly had around $2,500 with him. These are good things in his disappearance. His chance of survival is better than I thought.

It sounds like he did not want to go back to Spain. However, it would be hard for him to find employment here now unless he were paid under the table. That would do nothing for his visa status, though.

Articles about Ivan from Kym Kemp’s respected local news blog.

Original Sheriff press release.
http://kymkemp.com/2017/11/29/missing-man-may-be-suffering-from-mental-health-crisis/

Details given to Kym by his friend...Ivan had become paranoid a couple of days earlier, was taken for mental health help (didn’t get any help), they changed his flight to an earlier day so he could get home.
http://kymkemp.com/2017/12/02/frien...th-issues-tell-more-details-and-ask-for-help/

Information about the thorough search. He may have left the immediate area.
http://kymkemp.com/2017/12/02/searchers-comb-area-today-where-missing-man-last-seen/

Comments from his friends SW and R.A. on the story on Lost Coast Outpost with some details. Ignore the rest of the stupid comments.
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/nov/29/humboldt-sheriffs-office-searching-carlotta-area-m/
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/dec/1/sheriffs-office-says-missing-spanish-man-didnt-mak/

Thanks so much for posting this Lilibet! I am going to read everything on the links right now.

I’m just going to throw this thought out here because this incident happened in Humboldt County. I used to live there. This is a well known marijuana growing area. People come from all over, including other countries, to work on marijuana farms as “trimmers” preparing the marijuana buds for sale. They are called “trimmigants” locally. I may be way off base, but a three month visa would be about right for him to work as a trimmer in the fall. His friends may have been working with him. The fact that he had almost $2500 on him indicates that he may have been paid.

Depending on who he was working for, his paranoia could have actually been reality. Fearing that some Mexican guys wanted to kidnap him (in previous link) is not beyond the realm of possibility. There are growers from Mexico. Some growers are ruthless and violent. People have been murdered. If this was a mental health problem, Humboldt marijuana is strong, so smoking it could have produced a mental breakdown in someone already susceptible.

I hope there have been further searches in a wider area of the woods. I don’t like the fact that he hasn’t been seen since.
JMO

According to the latest information given to Kym Kemp by Ivan’s family, he was working on a marijuana grow as I suspected. He had displayed personality changes about two weeks before Thanksgiving, was smoking marijuana and took LSD. There have been unconfirmed sightings...

[FONT=&amp]According to family, there have been several unconfirmed reports of sightings in the local area including one by a hotel clerk in Garberville on the evening of Wednesday, November 29. Other unconfirmed sitings include Arcata and Eureka. The last one was more than a week ago. They are hoping to remind people to look for him.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The family provided us with information given to them by the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office.
[/FONT]

More details at the link...
http://kymkemp.com/2017/12/20/missing-spanish-man-last-seen-a-little-more-than-a-week-ago/

OMG Lilibet I just came back to this thread to write something and then I see you wrote a post stating a family member said he was working in a marijuana plantation :( I did not expect this at all, especially since Spanish newspapers stated previously he was teetotal, a non-smoker and he had never tried drugs... what happened here? This is so worrying...

What I came to write here is that I visited Ivan's best friend's FB page and there is now a 1,000 dollar reward. The family has also started a funding campaign as they want to hire a private investigator. The last reported unconfirmed sighting was of a man looking like him heading towards San Francisco.

https://www.facebook.com/rogearanda

Attachments

• Spaniard missing.jpg
    Spaniard missing.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 189
OMG Lilibet I just came back to this thread to write something and then I see you wrote a post stating a family member said he was working in a marijuana plantation :( I did not expect this at all, especially since Spanish newspapers stated previously he was teetotal, a non-smoker and he had never tried drugs... what happened here? This is so worrying...

What I came to write here is that I visited Ivan's best friend's FB page and there is now a 1,000 dollar reward. The family has also started a funding campaign as they want to hire a private investigator. The last reported unconfirmed sighting was of a man looking like him heading towards San Francisco.

https://www.facebook.com/rogearanda

Ivan may have thought he could make some easy money without using marijuana. But I doubt the environment is conducive to abstaining. If Ivan had never smoked marijuana before his paranoia may have come on after smoking. Decades ago, when my husband and I dabbled in it, he would get paranoid. It would make me sleepy and, if we were at a friend’s house, I’d want to go home. But my husband was afraid they’d be offended and he’d want to stay. His paranoia wasn’t extreme, but it wasn’t his normal way of thinking. Add LSD into the mix (which may not be pure) and it can send a susceptible person into a mental breakdown. I feel terrible for Ivan’s friends and family.

Ivan’s family is wise to try to hire a PI. The sheriff’s department is understaffed and overworked. Ivan‘s case won’t get the attention it needs. Humboldt is not a safe place and there are a number of unsolved missing persons cases. I hope that his friends have traveled to SF on highway 101 and distributed posters all along the route and at the SF Airport. They need to change the poster to read that he may have been seen in Arcata, not just Alliance. I had never heard of Alliance and I lived in Humboldt for 15 years. Looking at a map, it’s simply a part of Arcata. If he was trying to go to SF, I doubt he went north to Arcata. Sightings are notoriously unreliable IMO. Garberville is a definite possibility and has some pretty unsavory characters. If Ivan was carrying that much money, it’s risky. Unfortunately, it’s been so long he could be anywhere. :(

Ivan’s fiancee records a message to him. There have been no recent sightings. :(

[FONT=&quot]she is roughly saying, “”Ivan, we haven’t known about you for a long time. Get in contact with us. Your family, your friends, Hari (Their pet: a dog) and me, we all are looking forward to seeing you and to receiving you. So I ask you, if you are listening to me, to contact us.”[/FONT]

http://kymkemp.com/2017/12/30/fiance-records-message-to-missing-man/

Lilibet, you of all people know how dangerous a situation it is for a naive person with $2k cash earned on a pot farm in Humboldt County, because I know you follow these cases.

If he was spotted in these multiple places, what were the circumstances? Was he staying at these hotels, or loitering? Was he appearing to continue to use pot and/or LSD?

At at this point, it's hard to think he is in trouble legally regardless of the circumstances of his visa status. We have many many illegal immigrants in this country, and for the most part they face a pretty light penalty if no crimes are committed. Plus he might not be of sound mind, which I would think provides a bit of leniency as well. For sure, though, he needs help before he ends up on the wrong side of some very bad people. In the area he was working, that is a very likely scenario.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johndavid125
Back