Ca - James Eugene Jones, 43, Humboldt County, Poi Serial Murders

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
13749376_f520.jpg

[James Eugene Jones, a person of interest in the disappearances of five Humboldt women.]

The Mystery of Humboldt County's Missing Women

It just came to my attention that JEJ was arrested in April 2017 on a bench warrant for domestic violence of some kind and released in May after 30+ days. I wonder who he hurt this time.

B O O K E D -- April 2, 2017

R E L E A S E D -- May 6, 2017

I was in high school when Sheila and Danielle went missing. I thought James Jones had been arrested and was a primary suspect because when I was 15 I had been in the back of his car getting a ride home and right when we were across the street from my house he was pulled over by fortuna police. When they got his name the cop pointed a gun at him and started yelling for him to get out of the car with his hands up, and when he got out he wouldn't get down on the ground so they hit him in the legs. My mom was across the street and my friend and I were still in the back of car crying begging to be let out. I had no idea who Jim Jones was or that he was a person of interest in this case, I don't think hardly anyone did. I don't remember what happened after that I went inside and I assumed he was arrested.

I was in high school when Sheila and Danielle went missing. I thought James Jones had been arrested and was a primary suspect because when I was 15 I had been in the back of his car getting a ride home and right when we were across the street from my house he was pulled over by fortuna police. When they got his name the cop pointed a gun at him and started yelling for him to get out of the car with his hands up, and when he got out he wouldn't get down on the ground so they hit him in the legs. My mom was across the street and my friend and I were still in the back of car crying begging to be let out. I had no idea who Jim Jones was or that he was a person of interest in this case, I don't think hardly anyone did. I don't remember what happened after that I went inside and I assumed he was arrested.
Wow! In retrospect I’ll bet you’re happy he was pulled over that exact second. I’m glad there’s not a Websleuths thread for a missing “herself.1”!

Welcome to WS, btw!

I'm thinking what happened was they identified his car as the one they were looking for and confirmed his identity when IDing him, so it must have been right before or exactly when he became a POI.

Welcome @herself.1. Thanks for sharing your scary experience. Burblestein is right. LE can “know” he killed both Danielle and Sheila, but lack the evidence to take him to trial successfully. They only have one chance to get a conviction, so they have to have enough evidence. Finding Sheila would help.

Was Jones in the habit of giving random high school girls rides home from school? Or did you know him somehow?

He got an early out because of jail overcrowding. Given his conviction for a felony, that's a pathetically short sentence.

I am new here, so if posting a rumor is prohibited please let me know and I will delete. There was a social media post last week by somebody claiming that a man who looks like JEJ and who introduced himself as "James Jones" followed her and her friend around on a local hiking trail in Arcata. (Edit: in a later post, the OP stated that they picked out his mugshot in an interview with police)

Post is referenced here in a local crime news blog (poster's name and "James Jones" removed in the article).

Definitely worth keeping an eye on any missing person cases that may crop up in the NoHum region with women who seem to fit the alleged's preferred type.

Last edited:
Redheaded Blackbelt is a news site (online newspaper), not a social media site. I read the same article, but it never dawned on me to connect it to Jones. Revisiting this, I would not be surprised if the editor ran this article as a hint that she suspects that Jones is indeed a serial killer.

I noticed JEJ's name pop up in the local listing of active felony warrants issued
in Humboldt County - apologies for the ugly image cropping:

Screenshot-20210210-213421-3.png

(source: WARRANTED: Active Felony Warrants From the Sheriff's Office)

This prompted me to do a web search of his name, which led me to an arrest record from last July in Mendocino County:

Screenshot-20210210-213202.png

(source: Inmate Detail - JONES, JAMES EUGENE)

If I'm interpreting all of this correctly it looks like he was released on bail for those charges, went back to Humboldt and incurred a felony arrest warrant for theft of/receiving a stolen vehicle in September. Looks like his home address as of July was listed as Eureka. His appearance has changed somewhat so I thought it would be prudent to post his updated mugshot.

Does anybody have a consolidated rap sheet for JEJ? I'm working on something and would love to just be able to name exactly what he's been charged with in the past.

One of his suspected victims, Danielle Bertolini was a childhood friend of mine. I worked with her mother and investigators on a two-part episode covering her case specifically. The first part is mostly about Danielle's life, what brought her out to Humboldt, and a little about the investigation from the family's perspective. The second is a focus on Jim Jones, Sheila Franks, and the investigation itself.

Part One with Danielle's Mother, Billie Jo Dick
Part Two with Detective Taylor and Billy Jensen

I really admire your attitude, murdershetold. Welcome aboard. We could use a few more activists like

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly, there is no description of Jones on this thread. However, through the good offices of Pandy Fackler, we have his booking information for a source.

James Eugene Jones
Caucasian male
6 feet 6 inches tall
238 pounds
DOB: 30 July 1973
From his booking photo:
Balding, salt and pepper hair
Eye color seems to be dark hazel
Left ear sticks out further from his head than the right one

What a great way to start in WS, Pandy! Welcome aboard.

Forgot to note that he was booked for two felonies and a misdemeanor for traffic offenses. There's also a nonspecific felony; maybe that's the spousal brutality.

One of his suspected victims, Danielle Bertolini was a childhood friend of mine. I worked with her mother and investigators on a two-part episode covering her case specifically. The first part is mostly about Danielle's life, what brought her out to Humboldt, and a little about the investigation from the family's perspective. The second is a focus on Jim Jones, Sheila Franks, and the investigation itself.

Part One with Danielle's Mother, Billie Jo Dick
Part Two with Detective Taylor and Billy Jensen

Welcome @murdershetold. :) It’s nice to have a friend of Danielle’s here. Her mother worked tirelessly on her behalf and as you know she joined forces with Sheila’s family. I was very active on both threads, trying at the very least to keep them “bumped” so that they would be noticed by other members who might have something to add. I’m afraid I’ve fallen down on the job lately.

I’ll post the links to both for anyone who may not be aware of these cases. Danielle and Sheila disappeared within a short time of each other. The same man (the subject of this thread) was the last to see them.

Found Deceased - CA - Danielle Bertolini Brooks, 23, Fortuna, 29 Jan 2014

Found Deceased - CA - Sheila Franks, 37, Fortuna, 2 Feb 2014

I look forward to listening to your two podcasts discussing these tragic cases. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back