CA CA - Jean Spangler, 27, Los Angeles, Oct 1949

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder how much Christine knows about her mother's death

I'm sure she wasn't told much growing up, But she must have heard about it as an adult. I would like to know her thoughts.

I'm hoping they at least told her good things about her mother and didn't paint her to be the loose party girl that the papers of the day did.

the papers really did a number on Jean. I wonder what she really was like. She did seem to live fast.
I wonder if the LAPD files on her murder are intact or if they are a mess like the Black Dahlia files.

I wasn't aware that Lynn (Dexters wife) was formerly Lynn Lasky, having been married to Ely Lasky a close associate of Mickey Cohen the gangster who went missing 3 days after Jean went missing. Small world methinks. Sometimes, too small.

Wow Small world indeed. It sure seems like there could be a connection there.
Even if it were something like someone doing a favor for Dexter and Lynn.

I'm surprised the second wife had mob connections. I was under the impression that she had been sqeaky clean. It seems strange to me that they were able to question Jean's lifestyle in court when Lynn was also associated with the mob.

Wow Small world indeed. It sure seems like there could be a connection there.
Even if it were something like someone doing a favor for Dexter and Lynn.

I'm surprised the second wife had mob connections. I was under the impression that she had been sqeaky clean. It seems strange to me that they were able to question Jean's lifestyle in court when Lynn was also associated with the mob.

Spot on.

Edited to add link http://www.bethshort.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6738

I found this page interesting.

Are Lynn and Ely Lasky still alive. Interesting indeed. I don't believe in coincidence.

The case is featured on MSNBC's website today:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/03/10309321-cold-case-1940s-starlets-death-is-a-mystery

"It's absolutely a classic noir mystery," said Denise Hamilton, a former LA Times reporter turned novelist. She reveals that her mystery, "The Last Embrace," was inspired by the Spangler case."

"You have a beautiful, young starlet. Brunette. She's sultry. She's tall. She's leggy. And she's trying to make it in Hollywood," Hamilton said.

I wonder if she inspired the Hollies as well:

A pair of forty fives made me open my eyes
My temperature started to rise
She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just five nine
Beautiful
Tall
With just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all.

Found this link: http://www.mariamusikka.com/jeanspangler_timeline.htm. Form some reason, I can't copy and paste it here. In that link, there are more information. I don't know where the webmaster of that link got the Frenso part from.

Also I am looking for her weight and height so I can look thru DoeNetwork for any possible match.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/03/10309321-cold-case-1940s-starlets-death-is-a-mystery

It was one of those cases that seemed straight out of pulp fiction, a noir mystery written by one of those hard-boiled scribes who liked to surround damsels in distress with mobsters and movie stars.

Yet it was real life. And it defied solution.

Not because there were no clues. Perhaps because there were too many--all pointing in different directions.

The damsel was aspiring actress Jean Spangler, 26, whose mysterious 1949 disappearance is still considered an "open case" by LAPD's cold case unit.
------

'She's a party girl'

A divorced mother of a five-year-old, Spangler was still looking for her big break, and making time for an active social life.

"She's a party girl. She goes out with a lot of people: gangsters, movie stars, Hollywood executives. They found her little black book after she disappeared, and there were a lot of prominent names in it," said Hamilton.

She was last seen near her Park LaBrea area apartment on the Friday evening of Oct. 7, 1949.

Over that weekend, a Griffith Park Ranger found a purse near the entrance to Ferndell. Inside was Spangler's ID, and also a cryptic note addressed to someone named Kirk.

More at link....

She certainly was a beautiful lady.
That note would certainly lead one to beleive she was going to have an abortion perhaps it went wrong and she died not unheard of back in those days.
Wasnt Fern Dell Park supposed to be some kind of trysting ground for Male Homosexuals back then?
I was looking at a map of Griffith Park Having never been to L.A. I had heard of it mentioned many times before in different contexts but I had no idea it was so huge.
I think from looking at the map that inspite of teh '200 man search' her body could still be in there somewhere especially if it was concealed rather then dumped
Of course with her purse being found so easy whoever killed her may have wanted authorities to think she was in there somewhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back