CA CA - Jean Spangler, 27, Los Angeles, Oct 1949

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ancestry has a database of WWII army enlistment records. It is possible to search for enlistees to the Army Air Corps specifically, and then narrow further by the last name Scott and from Los Angeles County. It will be time consuming so wanted to see if anyone has done this already before I start trying to weed through them?

The manner of Jean's death and dismemberment indicates a very sick individual who seemed to have developed/evolved to an advanced stage evil. He certainly was not just a drunken sailor or a young kid. This guy was older and had some specific skills and talents. It is most likely that he had killed before and after Jean's murder.

How can you say she was dismembered? Her body was never found. The only trace ever found of old girl was her purse.

How can you say she was dismembered? Her body was never found. The only trace ever found of old girl was her purse.

I think Richard was referring to Elizabeth Short, but accidentally typed Jean's name instead.

Oh. I still wonder what happened to Jean's daughter. Does she ever think about her mom?

I think Richard was referring to Elizabeth Short, but accidentally typed Jean's name instead.

My mistake. Yes, I was referring to Elizabeth Short, who was murdered in Los Angeles around the same time frame. I have always felt that her case was connected to the disappearance of Jean Spangler and that Jean may have met a similar fate.

Not sure those 2 were connected. To me, it is much more likely that Georgette Bauerdorf was connected to the Dahlia case

This case will be 65 years old in October.

I wonder what that girl has been told about her mom and did she ever try and find the truth.

I agree. I wonder if this was an abortion gone bad-that might have hurt some famous person's career. I think she was disposed of to keep everything quite.

I have read various theories on this case, and agree with you 100% fox1950. I think she became "troublesome" and was silenced. I wonder what Diana Dill knows, if anything. She is still living.

The whole purse thing bothers me if she died during an abortion. With the evidence left inside, it almost seems more like the crime was random or, if not, that somebody was purposely trying to throw suspicion on Douglas. I think an abortionist would be taking an unnecessary risk when he could just burn or bury the purse or do with it whatever he did with the body.

I wonder what that girl has been told about her mom and did she ever try and find the truth.

I remember watching a "Mysteries And Scandals" episode about Jean and when the producers asked Dexter Benner for a interview, he declined and he told them that Christine was not interested in participating either. To me, that came across as strange. Christine is a grown woman now, why didn't she speak for herself? Makes me wonder if she knew anything about the program at all or if she has been turned against her mother. The latter wouldn't surprise me, since it's no secret that Benner wanted to erase Jean from his daughter's mind.

By the way, Megan Abbott wrote a fictionalized novel about the Spangler case (as James Ellroy did with "The Black Dahlia"). The title is "The Song Is You" and it's an interesting look at a "what if" scenario. She clearly did a lot of research, but of course it's fictional. Still enjoyed it though.

I know many have wondered if Spangler's disappearance is linked to the murder of Elizabeth Short. I don't believe that Jean just walked away from her life - she worked too hard to get custody of her daughter.

Here's a slideshow video I made a couple of years ago about both cases; I went into more detail in the video description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mITyOYDSCQI

I think Christine has been turned against her mom. A shame. Is Dexter alive still? Who is Diana Dill?

I think Christine has been turned against her mom. A shame. Is Dexter alive still? Who is Diana Dill?

Diana Dill was the first wife of Kirk Douglas; they were still married at the time of Spangler's disappearance. Dexter Benner died in 2007 as stated in a post a few threads up.

I don't know if Dexter Benner knew anything about Jean's disappearance but he comes across as extremely self-centered. I understand that he and Jean were not on good terms, but Christine had been living with her mother and grandmother until Jean disappeared. Not only was she in the middle of custody fights, but she had to cope with her mother vanishing, having her grandmother cut out of her life, and then he skips out of town with her and his second wife when a bench warrant was issued for his arrest. Didn't he think about how all this would affect his daughter? I'm not sure he cared, as long as he had her. I think he did turn her against her mother, when Jean wasn't there to defend herself. I think he resented the fact that Jean had won custody of Christine and didn't want Jean's mother to have any part of Christine's life or remind her of her mother.

As for Kirk Douglas, again, if he has any knowledge of this case I don't know, but I have heard the stories of him supposedly raping a teenage Natalie Wood; he was at one point engaged to Pier Angeli, who was 17 years younger than him, and broke things off with her because she wouldn't sleep with him. He also admitted in one of his books that he had issues with women and was quite violent and abusive in the bedroom. Also, I read somewhere that his statement to police (how strange was it that he contacted them before they had the chance to even seek him out) that he didn't know Jean personally angered her mother Florence because she recalled Douglas picking up her daughter at the house on more than one occasion. To be honest I've never liked him that much, he seems very arrogant.

The botched abortion thing seems the most likely, but the mob stuff seems a bit too coincidental to be entirely ruled out.

I think it's likely that there's a book in the can right now about Douglas and this business and it will come out as soon as the actor dies. If I was Douglas and innocent then I would get my side of the story out now before it's too late. As I said before, I have no way of knowing if Douglas was involved or not but things like the letter seem so suspiciously incriminating that it almost looks like someone was trying to set "Kirk" up for the fall.

From youtube, here are some excerpts from a 2001 interview with Jean's sister-in-law, Sophie, who is the last person known to have seen and talked to Jean before she vanished. In the second clip she talks about how Dexter Benner showed up after Jean disappeared, taking Christine for what was supposed to be a weekend visitation, and never brought her back. Sophie mentions that detectives had told her they saw scratches on his face when they interviewed him about Jean being missing.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXVa0XU33sY

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FvYAMIqeCI

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members