CA CA - Jessica Roggenkamp, 44, Anderson, 10 Dec 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope they looked in the trunk of her car.

The next obvious plan after a ground search is to get to the bottom of this Harrison Gulch party and figure out who/what type of people were there.

Seems to me they would have voluntarily come forward in short order if things were on the up and up.

Here's where I got with the map so far. I'll add details like date/times as we go - I'm not Skibs, but I do like maps! And this one is confusing me. Why on earth was she ever at Hwy 36/Wild Mad Rd. It is on the way - nowhere. Or am I missing something?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17ycR-qWYNTv9q0a2v33kHfCfPkM&usp=sharing

Great map! It's pretty confusing to me as well. And then we have a mention of Hayfork as well:
Her 2010 Black Ford Mustang was found near Hayfork by members of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife Sunday evening, west of her original destination.
http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/sh...earching-for-missing-anderson-woman/212342920
But the intersection where her car was found does not seem to be very near Hayfork. If they wanted to give the nearest place, it seems closer to Wildwood (which is what the missing posters say). How did Hayfork get thrown into this?

And I'm still a little confused how cold weather can unlock car doors? Someone please feel free to enlighten me.

RSBM

I lived in Michigan for 30+ years. I've never heard of such a thing and IMO it can't. Cold weather can ice up a lock so it can't be unlocked....you can buy little canisters of lock de-icer for that.

So I dunno what she's talking about. Maybe she misunderstood something.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Your comment about the lock is right on target. When I lived where it froze, I was warned about the door locks and told never to use my parking brake because the brakes could freeze.

CDFG checked the trunk so I suspect the report that the car was unlocked when found was correct.

KRCR
Investigators actively searching for missing Anderson woman
http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/sh...earching-for-missing-anderson-woman/212342920
According to a press release from the Anderson Police Department, when the car was located by CDFG, a spare tire was on one of the wheels with a damaged tie (sic) [tire] located in the trunk.​

Great map! It's pretty confusing to me as well. And then we have a mention of Hayfork as well:

But the intersection where her car was found does not seem to be very near Hayfork. If they wanted to give the nearest place, it seems closer to Wildwood (which is what the missing posters say). How did Hayfork get thrown into this?

I wondered that as well. There is a branch of "Hayfork Creek" that is very close to the 36/Wild Mad location? And I'm not clear on where the hunter spotted her or where CalTrans assisted either. Anyone?

Also, to drive to the Harrison Gulch location, Google Maps will route you a southern route along 36 or a northern route that goes through Igo and drops down. The southern route seems less twisty-turny and is faster, from mid-Anderson.

RSBM

I lived in Michigan for 30+ years. I've never heard of such a thing and IMO it can't. Cold weather can ice up a lock so it can't be unlocked....you can buy little canisters of lock de-icer for that.

So I dunno what she's talking about. Maybe she misunderstood something.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

When I lived in a cold climate like Michigan I once had a car where the door catch would freeze in the winter and the door would not stay shut. The door would just bounce back open no matter how hard I slammed it and the lock was frozen in the unlock position (manual locks). I literally drove holding the door closed a few times. My car was a similar sporty style car like hers too (but not a Mustang). I wonder if her car had that issue and she could not shut/lock the door due to ice?

There are comments from locals about where the tire was changed and where the car was found on Facebook but that is not MSM. Try her "Help Find" page and the KRCR News page. Check both the Comments and Replies.

I wondered that as well. There is a branch of "Hayfork Creek" that is very close to the 36/Wild Mad location? And I'm not clear on where the hunter spotted her or where CalTrans assisted either. Anyone?

Also, to drive to the Harrison Gulch location, Google Maps will route you a southern route along 36 or a northern route that goes through Igo and drops down. The southern route seems less twisty-turny and is faster, from mid-Anderson.

It seems purposely vague. I wish LE would clarify with a press conference but if they really think she is "voluntary missing" and not lost or in danger I guess there will be no reason for a press conference. Maybe the family will give interviews? At this point, the best case scenario would be that Jessica is in a warm cabin somewhere with a new boyfriend she didn't tell the family about. But it seems more likely she got lost or trusted the wrong person. :(

I was confused with the use of Hayfork as a "near location" also. WildMad Road is a fairly good distance from Hayfork. IMO, the news people just used Hayfork as a general reference because it's location is more known than Harrison Gulch, WildMad Rd, etc.

It seems purposely vague. I wish LE would clarify with a press conference but if they really think she is "voluntary missing" and not lost or in danger I guess there will be no reason for a press conference. Maybe the family will give interviews? At this point, the best case scenario would be that Jessica is in a warm cabin somewhere with a new boyfriend she didn't tell the family about. But it seems more likely she got lost or trusted the wrong person. :(

I've slept in a car many times and always have a sleeping bag with me when I plan a "road trip". It's not what I would call aberrant behavior. Fell tired when driving? Take a snooze.

I had a partner with a convertible MG with reclining seats and we found it to be the perfect "sleeper car". Amazingly comfortable. One balmy night we slept in the woods with the car nearby. During the night, several cars surrounded our car and locals gave the car an "inspection". I don't know what they were looking for but the experience did change our "sleep in the car routine" for a while.

There are two ways she would have driven from Anderson. Via Platina Road through Igo; or via Bowman Road through Cottonwood which is just south of Anderson. IMO, she would not have driven to Red Bluff to start on Hwy36 there. The Bowman Road route would probably be the easiest route with a destination of the Harrison Gulch party. And, there isn't much in Harrison Gulch. Only a few scattered, very rural residences.

There are two ways she would have driven from Anderson. Via Platina Road through Igo; or via Bowman Road through Cottonwood which is just south of Anderson. IMO, she would not have driven to Red Bluff to start on Hwy36 there. The Bowman Road route would probably be the easiest route with a destination of the Harrison Gulch party. And, there isn't much in Harrison Gulch. Only a few scattered, very rural residences.

Good one - didn't mean to imply she'd go all the way to Red Bluff to pick up 36. I updated the map to show the likely driving route south, which is along Bowman to 36, as you say. I couldn't find any MSM to show any locations other than what I've got on there. If anyone comes up with anything we can use, let me know.

According to the HFJR FB page, there is a search scheduled for Sunday. Does anyone have a link to the sighting by the bear hunter that gives the location? I'm horrible at maps, and since Mapquest couldn't locate Harrison Gulch, I had to pin the next largest city (Platina). IMO, the party in Harrison Gulch would've been the night before (Friday night), since her friend wasn't expecting her till Saturday in Igo. So, she could've left Anderson Friday night, stopped at the party in Harrison Gulch. She may have had plans to return home that night or head on to the friend's house in Igo. But if she had been drinking (not judging) or it just being late, her sense of direction may have been off and she headed west in the mountains instead of east towards home or Igo.

I don't know where the hunter comes in. But if she had been traveling late Friday night and got the flat tire in Hayfork, I can imagine her staying in the car, keeping warm, until daylight when she could summon help (if no cell reception). If she planned to stay the night at her friend's house in Igo on Saturday, she had pajamas. I would put those overtop of my clothing just to keep warm while I waited it out till sunrise. Then Caltrans showed up to help with the flat tire. We know that she didn't leave the area in her vehicle, but "seemed intent on continuing on with her travels". I would imagine that Caltrans would set her in the right direction (towards Igo). But her car isn't found until late the next evening (some 40 hours later). Do we know if the car was operable? Was it found in the EXACT same location as where Caltrans last saw her? The flat tire had been fixed, but what if she had run the heat intermittently at night to stay warm, charged her phone, etc. resulting in a dead battery or running out of gas a few miles down the road. I would think that Caltrans would check these things, just trying to account for why she wouldn't have left right away. If the vehicle was disabled, it was light out and she could've thought to walk along the road to get closer to town for cell reception. This whole voluntary thing really irks me. She could've gotten a ride with someone shady or gotten lost in the woods. I'm also concerned about the search not happening until Sunday. Maybe there are locals that can weigh in on the delay. All JMO

https://www.mapquest.com/directions...o/us/ca/igo/to/us/ca/hayfork/to/us/ca/platina
https://local.nixle.com/alert/5802253/

BBM
There was a fb comment that the car was out of gas and you've explained why the car may have run out of gas. Thank you. Even mild hypothermia can result in confusion and poor decision making.

Good job! You have the last cell phone ping as being on 12/10, Saturday. What time was it? I must've missed it. But it would have to be prior to her getting the roadside assistance, right?

Here's where I got with the map so far. I'll add details like date/times as we go - I'm not Skibs, but I do like maps! And this one is confusing me. Why on earth was she ever at Hwy 36/Wild Mad Rd. It is on the way - nowhere. Or am I missing something?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17ycR-qWYNTv9q0a2v33kHfCfPkM&usp=sharing

I hadn't seen that the car was out of gas. But the pit in my stomach just grew bigger. How can this be voluntary?!?!!

BBM
There was a fb comment that the car was out of gas and you've explained why the car may have run out of gas. Thank you. Even mild hypothermia can result in confusion and poor decision making.

Quoting soanyway:
Good job! You have the last cell phone ping as being on 12/10, Saturday. What time was it? I must've missed it. But it would have to be prior to her getting the roadside assistance, right?

That's part of what confuses me too. I pulled that from this Sheriff's Press Release and it doesn't give a time. I assume it would have to be before the roadside assist, which would put it between 3am and 7am on the 10th. If it is before, it confirms she must have taken the southern route out, but I don't think that tells us anything useful in and of itself.

To your earlier point, if she was disoriented or in danger of running out of gas, you would think that she'd have made that clear to the Caltrans folks. I really wish we knew where exactly they saw her at 7:00 a.m. on on the 10th.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5800394/

I think they mentioned Hayfork because it really is the nearest populated town. I've been through Wildwood and would barely consider it a 'place.' There is no gas station or store really. Platina has a general store and grill, IIRC.

We don't know what time the hunter actually saw her car do we? And please correct me if I am wrong - but didn't she leave Anderson at 3am? So then the next verified contact is 7am by Caltrans workers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they mentioned Hayfork because it really is the nearest populated town. I've been through Wildwood and would barely consider it a 'place.' There is no gas station or store really. Platina has a general store and grill, IIRC.

We don't know what time the hunter actually saw her car do we? And please correct me if I am wrong - but didn't she leave Anderson at 3am? So then the next verified contact is 7am by Caltrans workers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFAIK, yes, that's this Press Release.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5802253/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member