CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our view of the evidence was skewed by listening to the arguments outside of the jury's presence and "dark days", it screwed up the flow.

I would have to agree with this! We have the ability to go back and listen and watch it again and again. I wonder what the jury thinks right now? They might welcome the break though? I think I would LOL

Do you have evidence that the did make as thorough investigation into the finances and phone records of other acquaintances of JM who gained from the deaths as they did with Chase? (Those are my original words, please don't omit)

They cannot look at the phone records or financial records without getting a warrant. And they cannot get a warrant without 'reasonable cause' showing it is legally warranted. How many Persons Of Interest do you think they can get warrants for?

They did get warrants for some of Dan K's records. I don't know how many other people they got warrants for. Do You?

Well I say we've got one week to try and get some other outfit to take over the live streaming. Because it's gone so far downhill now at Law & Crime that it's become unbearable and they're not even bothering to upload the videos now it's so low priority for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they back out completely by next week.

Anyone got any ideas? Can we find out who else applied to do the livestreaming before trial started? I want to see the rest of this trial and not in half sentences!

Apparently this guy was supposed to be recording the whole trial and was going to provide it to the media? Not sure if he is there or not, or if he decided not to after L&C was covering?

He is the one that was going to make a documentary, it's listed on this page... called Two Shallow Graves: The McStay Family Murders
Jon Knautz - IMDb

I hope they have it up later or at least within a day or so LOL Still waiting for Thursdays testimony!!!! I was listening to the judge, although it was buffering lots, and he listed what the prosecution says has happened... there were actually some things that were factually incorrect as we should know them now, but it wasn't until the end that he said something like "this is from the prosecution" and the when making the ruling, he is only required to look at the testimony on direct and not what came out on cross (not in those words, but that was my take on it). I thought that was interesting.

I know I have watched other trials, and I know it's standard for the defense to ask for a dismissal after the State rests.... but I am not sure I have ever heard a judge make a long ruling like that? Might be that I just don't recall it. Would love to hear it again without all the stuttering!!!!

I would be interested in reading what the law is, if anyone recalls the number the judge and/or defense said?

Also... as slow as the judge talks sometimes... the prosecution should take notes, or even ask the judge to possibly give their closing argument IMO :D
Yes. He flubbed at the very end. That's when Chase shook his head. For the life of me cannot recall it?

I am still sitting on the fence. I believe it is impossible to be certain of guilt until the defense has the opportunity to refute, explain or discredit the evidence presented by the Pros. I believe in "due process", there is room for doubt until such things as phone ping accuracy, QB function, vehicle identification and DNA evidence are proven BARD.

I will sit up on the fence with you @travelbug :p I was 100% on the 'he is guilty' side before the trial started... but a lot of that was based off of articles and the little bit I would read here and there when I would come and catch up.

I will be really disappointed if L&C pulls out now, because I don't think there is anyone else out there willing to cover it. If that ends up being the case, I will never watch another trial on their network... EVER!

I highly doubt it. In most cases they seem to be pro defense. I doubt that slant will change.

Imo

Are they all pro-defense in all the cases that they air? Reading Cathy Russon's tweets the last few months... I don't get that she is pro-defense all the time... but I don't watch their "shows" on the network, only when they have forced me to, which was only one day a few weeks ago.

Apparently this guy was supposed to be recording the whole trial and was going to provide it to the media? Not sure if he is there or not, or if he decided not to after L&C was covering?

He is the one that was going to make a documentary, it's listed on this page... called Two Shallow Graves: The McStay Family Murders
Jon Knautz - IMDb
Wow. Maybe he would let a bunch of trial watchers in on his footage? Somehow I doubt it, but it is an interesting venture he is working on there. I sure hope he’s not counting on obtaining footage from Law and Crime, because he will be sorely disappointed in the quality.

Just for the record, I believe in due process, too. I think the evidence against the two timed felon is overwhelming. I also believe he entitled to a vigorous defense. He is getting it. I am applying logic and reason to what the defense has offered, and I am just not buying what they are selling. We will see how they try to explain the backdating and the DNA in the Trooper, but so far, their explanation falls flat.
Again, to be clear, I believe in due process.

BBM - But they haven't even presented their case yet....

I do agree that he is getting a pretty good defense, I can't imagine that "Ineffectiveness of counsel" will ever be able to be an appeal issue in this case. JMO

Yes. He flubbed at the very end. That's when Chase shook his head. For the life of me cannot recall it?

I wasn't watching at that time... only listening... with my phone in my pocket and one headphone in LOL Good thing I'm self employed... I might have been fired today!!!! I was thinking it would be days before they would upload, so wanted to hear it! I was able to see most of Smith's testimony today... although would like to see it on a bigger than my phone screen LOL

Wow. Maybe he would let a bunch of trial watchers in on his footage? Somehow I doubt it, but it is an interesting venture he is working on there. I sure hope he’s not counting on obtaining footage from Law and Crime, because he will be sorely disappointed in the quality.
I don't even know if he's there... lol

I do agree that he is getting a pretty good defense, I can't imagine that "Ineffectiveness of counsel" will ever be able to be an appeal issue in this case. JMO

Yes, but I did say we shall see how they try and explain.....
And they have had an opportunity for rebuttal on all the prosecution's witnesses. They haven't exactly been mute.

Can L&C get "rights" to a public trial?
I don't know, but I have no other explanation for no other news outlet covering this case. SBD county is HUGE county, not really densely populated, but it isn't Podunk either. I can't see what could possibly be preventing the local news outlet from doing a live stream.

They haven't presented their case yet---but they have 'telegraphed' much of it in OS and during cross.

We know that they are putting DK's ex gf on the stand, to say that DK is the real killer. So if they do that, it will be a big part of their defense.

If the state comes forward in rebuttal and is able to refute that effectively, it will be quite damaging to their case, imo.

They have also given clues about some of their upcoming case. They will assert that the family was alive on the morning of Feb 5th. And that Joey gave Chase permission to create those checks himself.n

I am going to have a hard time believing that part.

I wasn't watching at that time... only listening... with my phone in my pocket and one headphone in LOL Good thing I'm self employed... I might have been fired today!!!! I was thinking it would be days before they would upload, so wanted to hear it! I was able to see most of Smith's testimony today... although would like to see it on a bigger than my phone screen LOL
That is how I listen every day, LOL,

What's really incredible is all the WSers who made 10's of thousands of posts in all of the different threads of the McStay family forum since this family was first missing in 2010. Different theories, quite a few POIs, phone records, financials, maps, locations, warrants, locals who lent their expertise in soil and weather conditions. Mulled around, dissected, re-arranged, put together on timelines, summaries created and re-vamped, many, many times. Watching LE drop the ball, pick it up, and ultimately getting their suspect.

For the many of us who have been here from the start, whether lurking or posting, there's not much, if any, doubt that the right individual was arrested and charged. CM is the only rational conclusion. Whether he gets convicted or not is up to the jury.

Many who contributed so immensely to the McStay forum have either gone to other trials, or are not with us, but to those who stuck with it, a huge Thank You!

thank-you-smiley.gif

It could be worse.........need I say "Jodi Arias"?
zombi-smiley.gif

I don't know, but I have no other explanation for no other news outlet covering this case. SBD county is HUGE county, not really densely populated, but it isn't Podunk either. I can't see what could possibly be preventing the local news outlet from doing a live stream.
I do believe a trial of this length is difficult for anyone to cover, and that doesn’t even account for the tremendous amount of down time in this particular trial. I believe Law and Crime were telling the truth when they stated it was tough to have an audio/visual recording setup tied up for so long and to have to pay the cameraman and whoever ( audio person) else when there is so much non in-session time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor