CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
None yet ocean.

Detective DuGal in 2010 and detective Hanke in 2014 were unable to get cctv footage from CFA and the forensic accountant Weitzman found no evidence in either Joey's or Chase's bank records that they were there.

Right. I remember DuGal said in one of the documentaries that he had confirmed the meeting at CFA took place but he didn't have any footage of it. He also said he was unable to locate any employees at CFA that remembered CM or JM. So I was thinking the proof must be a CC receipt or a receipt from CFA. But I guess not. o_O

It probably didn't get very heated (if indeed they did meet). Only because CFA employees probably would have remembered the incident if they were yelling at each other (or even having a loud argument). JMO

Patrick says in his book that JM stopped at Union bank in RC BEFORE his meeting with CM to deposit a $14,000.00 check he received as a deposit for a new waterfall job (not $16,000.00). It was probably the same Union bank where CM cashed the $2,495.00 chk on 2/2. Makes me wonder if JM got real confirmation of that transaction while he was in the bank. He could have calmly confronted CM and told him that was the last straw. IDK

ETA: Maybe JM's bank stop in RC is DuGal's "confirmation" of the meeting.

MOO

No. MacGyver testified about the tension between Summer and Merritt and how uncomfortable it was to be around them. He said when he arrived Summer did not introduce Merritt and Merritt did not introduce himself and they weren’t talking to each other and it was awkward.

Right, it is well-known that Summer could be a bit standoffish at times. There was an awkward moment when Summer didn't introduce Merritt, maybe she didn't really want him there, but tolerated him when he was helping Joey around their house. Was there anything more to it than that? Also it doesn't really tell us anything about the relationship between Joey and Chase.

IIRC from many many years ago... that warehouse never existed, right?

I remember the warehouse existing in Pomona. I even recall seeing the Pomona Rent on an EIP spreedsheet. I'm not sure how long they had it for, probably not in 2010 because then why would they need to work from MSM's building in Azusa.

But what about the keys JM was buried with in his pocket? Did those keys belong to the storage pods? I don't remember what was said about that.

MOO

I remember the warehouse existing in Pomona. I even recall seeing the Pomona Rent on an EIP spreedsheet. I'm not sure how long they had it for, probably not in 2010 because then why would they need to work from MSM's building in Azusa.

But what about the keys JM was buried with in his pocket? Did those keys belong to the storage pods? I don't remember what was said about that.

MOO
I know the spreadsheet that you are talking about now that you mention it... I thought that was Chase's stuff, it is really confusing lol

I think LE ran across a chk from CM's bank acct for rent to AMS. They only found 1 payment and IIRC it was for the month of April (not sure what year).

MOO
2010 IIRC

ETA: 18:32 of this video, can see AMS storage 4/9/10. I do wonder though if he had to get a storage after leaving MSM? I am not sure how long he was there after February? And we don't see records past this.

Last edited:
Right. I remember DuGal said in one of the documentaries that he had confirmed the meeting at CFA took place but he didn't have any footage of it. He also said he was unable to locate any employees at CFA that remembered CM or JM. So I was thinking the proof must be a CC receipt or a receipt from CFA. But I guess not. o_O

It probably didn't get very heated (if indeed they did meet). Only because CFA employees probably would have remembered the incident if they were yelling at each other (or even having a loud argument). JMO

Patrick says in his book that JM stopped at Union bank in RC BEFORE his meeting with CM to deposit a $14,000.00 check he received as a deposit for a new waterfall job (not $16,000.00). It was probably the same Union bank where CM cashed the $2,495.00 chk on 2/2. Makes me wonder if JM got real confirmation of that transaction while he was in the bank. He could have calmly confronted CM and told him that was the last straw. IDK

MOO

This is way more believable to me than him logging into QB's for a minute and "seeing" a cheque that was deleted and no longer in the ledger. There would be no reason for him to look at audit history IMO

I was expecting to see something about him going to the bank as well, but we didn't. And the CC statements, even if they showed 'nothing'. JMO

If you were paying them, they should be included. But saying one “owns and occupies a 50,000+ sq. ft. facility” when they “might” have occupied approx. only 6,000 sq. ft. is something else. Also, I never was able to find any record of Joey owning the warehouse at that location.

What I remember hearing/reading is....
JM wanted to expand the growth of his store "Naturally Dana Point". So, he found a warehouse where he launched "Naturally DP Fountains".

MOO

Has there been anything to suggest that Chase's version of his relationship with Joey is untrue though?

McGyver spent a good amount of time at the McStay house in the week or so before they disappeared. He testified that Chase was also there on some of the days he was at the McStay house. I would have thought McGyver would have testified to any contention among Joey/Summer and Chase, either witnessed by him or reported to him by either Joey or Summer. But iirc he said nothing to indicate anything different than Joey and Chase were close friends and business associates whose relationship was in good standing. I also don't recall that anyone else reported anything different to what Chase claims. At least that I remember. IMO.
Was McGyver questioned about the relationship between the two? But yes, Chase spent a lot of time at the house, to a point that Summer voiced her thoughts to McGyver about it, and they were that she felt very uncomfortable. However, that's Chase and Summer - no love lost between those two. As to the relationship between Chase and Joey, sure, everyone at large saw a couple of guys doing business together and getting along fine. But there is only one person who knew what that relationship really was, and that is Joey - and it was not the one that Chase aspired to. IMO of course.

Right, it is well-known that Summer could be a bit standoffish at times. There was an awkward moment when Summer didn't introduce Merritt, maybe she didn't really want him there, but tolerated him when he was helping Joey around their house. Was there anything more to it than that? Also it doesn't really tell us anything about the relationship between Joey and Chase.

Sorry, meant to link to the above!

I wonder, if there was tension in the last 7 days or so at Joey' s house between him and Chase, and McGyver knew about it, will he be called later to explain/testify by the Pros, or would that have been revealed already? Is there a possibility more details will come out about the final days of the family?(Just my opinion/thoughts)

I just want clarification on this point so Joeys final phone call to Chase did not connect?

This is what I find fascinating. Chase and cj have both had vivid, detailed stories about seeing that call from joey, and their responses to it. Cj described seeing the cell flash Joey's name and she said she was wondering why chase didn't pick it up.
And chase has a couple of differing versions, until then saying he didnt really remember it at all, but he relied upon CJ's memory of it.

But what if that call never even connected? It makes those initial stories seem very odd. JMO

Keep in mind CM said Joey would have dinner at his house once or twice a week. Wonder if Joey ever took the boys to hang out with CMs children?
I wonder if that is true , at all, that Joey had dinner at Chases house once or twice a week. THAT IS A LOT.
My husband had a couple of close coworkers, whom he'd have dinner with a couple of times every week. But that was usually at a nearby restaurant after work, before they both headed home. But it would have been unusual, when he had his own kids at home having dinner, to spend one or two dinners a week with another family.

When I read that interview with Chase, I thought he was exaggerating the family dinner numbers. JMO

Last edited:

MOO
Ah ok, so it wasn't in the trial, that's why some may be confused about hearing it in the trial I guess.

And we learned that DuGal didn't confirm it after all. Maybe we'll hear from one of the defense witnesses that they saw them together, or spoke to Joey afterwards.

I'm still wondering if Merritt will take the stand. I'm really looking forward to the defense case, I hope we have good coverage.

Monday, March 11th:
*Other Hearing (re OSC Contempt Hearing)-No Jurors (Day 29) (@ 9am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt (57/now 60) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance; plead not guilty. DP case.
12 jurors & 6 alternates were finalized on Tuesday (12/11/18). 8 women & 4 men, while the alternates include 4 men & 2 women. Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on Fridays.
Trial Court Days 1 (1/7/19) thru 6 (1/15/19) – reference post #1180 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2
Trial Court Days 7 (1/16/19) thru 11 (1/24/19) – reference post #1119 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #3
Trial Court Days 12 (1/28/19) thru 14 (1/31/19) - reference post #217 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #5
Trial Court Days 15 (2/5/19) thru 17 (2/7/19) - reference post #648 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #6
Trial Court Days 18 (2/13/19) thru Day 20 (2/19/19) - reference post #6 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #8
Trial Court Days 21 (2/20/19) thru Day 23 (2/25/19 - reference post #128 here: CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #9
Trial Court Days 24 (2/26/19) thru Day 26 (2/28/18) reference post #431 here:
CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #11
3/4/19 Day 27: Defense arguing against a clip from CNN to be played in court. Which is "I am definitely the last person he saw"). Judge overrules, it will be played. And about photos of video surveillance allegedly showing Merritt's truck are among the issues currently being argued. State witness: Sgt. Ryan Smith (recalled). DA shows CNN clip. DA rests case. Defense asked for dismissal of all charges. Denied. There is a hearing 3/8 re OSC: Failure to comply to subpoena order (Google & Microsoft) without jurors. Jurors will be back in court on Tuesday, 3/12 to hear last State witness re FARO scan testimony by Eugene Liscio. Pros wanted the defense’s witness list, they hadn't received it.
3/8/19 Day 28: On 2/27/19 Subpoena Records Rec’d from: JP Morgan Chase Bank & Arrowhead Reg. Med. Ctr. 2/28/19 Subpoena Recrds Rec’d from: Cable News Network (CNN). 3/4/19 Subpoena Records Rec’d from: CNN & Google. OSC (Order to Show Cause) Contempt hearing scheduled for 3/11 @ 9am. Jury Trial continues on 3/12 @ 9:30am.

I don't think they have any computers that show which it was printed from? or at least none that have been talked about in the trial.

The only one that was shown in a cached image was the Feb 4th one, but it wasn't printed. I have attached a snip of that from the trial.

I think the most important thing is that Chase cashed the checks and spent the money. So does it matter what computer he used to print it up? I don't think the jury will worry about that so much. JMO

Well there is Susan's testimony that Joey was planning to phase Chase out of the business.

From the 1118.1 motion hearing:

And Mrs Blake indicated that Mr McStay indicated to her the reasons why Joseph McStay wanted to phase Mr Merritt out of the business. They were that Mr Merritt had money problems, that Mr McStay had loaned money to Mr Merritt but did not get paid back, that part of Mr Merritt’s money problems were as a result of gambling...

<snip>

So with the backdrop of information about the financial issues of Mr Merritt, the financial issues between Mr Merritt and Mr McStay, the problems of Mr Merritt at Metro Sheet Metal it’s also interesting that when Mr Merritt is interviewed by the San Diego authorities shortly after the disappearance he reports that he and Joseph are or were best friends, they were good business partners, good working relationship there’s no mention of any conflicts regarding him not paying Joseph back for various sums, conflicts with MSM, any of that information.

I wholly disagree. To disparage his "best friend's" wife after she was brutally murdered along side him is highly unusual and downright callous. The right thing to have done is not say anything out of respect for his "friend" and the person who's deceased. Or just say I hold reversations about her and let's just leave it at that. That's someone with class would do. Just another example of Merritt's low moral standard and no decency.

Ita! But psychopaths doesn't know how to mimic social norms very well. They think it is perfectly acceptable behavior when it's as far from what normal individuals do.

I find it highly doubtful CM said disparaging things about Summer to Joey's face.

CM reluctingly, imo, admitted Joey loved Summer with all of his being which I think CM highly resented.

She became an obstacle standing in his way to continue his manipulation congames that had worked on Joey for far too long. The more Summer saw it happening the more vocal Summer became, rightly so.

When guy friends know their buddy adores their wife they dont demean them in front of them.

The only reason CM knew he could gleefully trash Summer in the ground every chance he got, was because he knew Joey, and Summer wouldn't ever be back to refute any of it. He had made sure of it.

Jmo

Has there been anything to suggest that Chase's version of his relationship with Joey is untrue though?

McGyver spent a good amount of time at the McStay house in the week or so before they disappeared. He testified that Chase was also there on some of the days he was at the McStay house. I would have thought McGyver would have testified to any contention among Joey/Summer and Chase, either witnessed by him or reported to him by either Joey or Summer. But iirc he said nothing to indicate anything different than Joey and Chase were close friends and business associates whose relationship was in good standing. I also don't recall that anyone else reported anything different to what Chase claims. At least that I remember. IMO.

McGyver did testify that CM was at the house when Mcgyver arrived and said (paraphrasing) that CM was the one Summer had told him about, that she didn't like him hanging around, and that he could feel the tension between CM and Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
april89