CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why we are dissecting the potential DNA evidence until after we have heard the explanation regarding the relevance. I am interested in every discussion or piece of evidence available, regardless of whether it is pro-PT or pro-DT. We're seeking justice for the murder of a family of 4. The jury will be carefully processing every statement and piece of evidence presented. I am grateful for that and hopeful they will arrive at a logical verdict. imho
We are just discussing what we have heard so far. I think thst is a valid pastime.

We heard from the woman who retrieved the DNA traces. I think it is valid to discuss her presentation.

I am in total agreement with that statement. That is why I changed my opinion regarding the accuracy of the steering wheel (and other Trooper) swab evidence. The DT expert explained that the various swabs were "collective" and packaged together. That does allow for cross-contamination and makes it very unreliable for determination of true location of individual DNA results. I am hoping for possible clarification from these current tests.
Not all of the swabs were collective. The steering wheel was swabbed by itself, IIRC

We are just discussing what we have heard so far. I think thst is a valid pastime.

We heard from the woman who retrieved the DNA traces. I think it is valid to discuss her presentation.
I have no problem with discussing it, but until we finish hearing her testimony we have absolutely zero idea whether it impacts the case in any way. I want to hear whether it actually has any bearing on the current evidence. It very well might be irrelevant. Prematurely claiming it relates to the crime and making incorrect assumptions of what each piece means just muddies the water. We have a lot of evidence to consider and discuss that we know is accurate. jmo

Omg. YES! I meant to say she was having to deal with Charles Merritt on a daily basis.

Lol I need to pay more attention to what I write.

Thank you for catching my big blunder.

I'm trying to multi task today, and its obvious I'm not doing too well. Ha.

Thanks again.

Imo

:)

Susanna cited a study with a very small sample size showing the last user of a steering wheel was the major contributer in the mixed DNA samples. That is such a small sample size!

She did not test the murder weapon. DNA was found on the following:
White cord-partial DNA, 4 level
Left cup of bra-some DNA, 9 level
Right cup of bra-some DNA 19 LoSi? level
Red strap-found hair! DNA 4 LoSi? level
3 red straps with one black hook-some/partial DNA

I don't believe she said one way or another if these were usable samples for DNA analysis.

All MOO, IMO etc etc

Did she take into account a driver using gloves?

I doubt the killer was going to dump the Trooper without wearing gloves during the drive

I have no problem with discussing it, but until we finish hearing her testimony we have absolutely zero idea whether it impacts the case in any way. I want to hear whether it actually has any bearing on the current evidence. It very well might be irrelevant. Prematurely claiming it relates to the crime and making incorrect assumptions of what each piece means just muddies the water. We have a lot of evidence to consider and discuss that we know is accurate. jmo
We have heard her initial presentation for the defense in full

Anything she considered important and impactful would have been said in her initial testimony

Now we are into the cross examination

I think she will have some tough questions to answer

So the dually was the 2007 Silverado? What about his other work truck(s)? Were they all dually’s?
I don't imagine he had a fleet of work trucks, or more than his own. It doesn't appear that it was that successful of an operation. Probably only employees with their own trucks. I remember seeing his company listing 3 employees?

https://www.manta.com/c/mrsybqg/precision-fire-systems

This lists 2-4 employees.

Last edited:
We are at such a disadvantage , Travel. And this is important evidence. Audio but no video. Frustrating. You know where I am leaning but was still looking forward to the DT's presentation. Lost without the person's face, presence, exhibits. I need all those things to make an assessment.

We are at such a disadvantage , Travel. And this is important evidence. Audio but no video. Frustrating. You know where I am leaning but was still looking forward to the DT's presentation. Lost without the person's face, presence, exhibits. I need all those things to make an assessment.
I agree, hearing only words, particularly when working with exhibits or displays doesn't allow us to put ourselves in the jurors position. Body language, photo exhibits, demeanor of the person on the stand or either team are very central to the jury reaction and decision. We miss out on all of that. :(:mad:

I don't imagine he had a fleet of work trucks, or more than his own. It doesn't appear that it was that successful of an operation. Probably only employees with their own trucks. I remember seeing his company listing 3 employees?

https://www.manta.com/c/mrsybqg/precision-fire-systems

This lists 2-4 employees.

Thanks, FT. I was just wondering because in the past I saw various photos of different white trucks associated with MM’s company. IMO, some reminded me of CM’s vehicle. But since MM testified to the contrary, it is what it is.

Really?

I thought he should not have hammered the whole how-much-are-you-making and you’re-doing-it-for-publicity thing. My take is that she was probably well liked as a witness and that line of questioning was petty and went on for way too long. It makes one think he can’t refute what she testified to, so he’s going to make her look like she was a witness for her own gain. I dunno. Maybe I’m being too harsh.
At first I totally agreed with you. I was a bit taken aback too thst this line of questioning went on for so long

But now I am thinking that he was stalling a bit on purpose. He wanted to make it to the end of questioning so he could have this weekend to review her testimony and consult his experts for proper DNA questions

Duh, I know this. Lol I think I'll chalk it up to temporary brain death. Thank you to you and Missy for correcting me. :)

RSBM--"respectfully sleuthed by me" :D

I didn't mean to imply she was lying. I am saying statistical data can be very easily skewed to reach a desired outcome. Just like Susana did-it is not an outright lie, rather she is presenting her skewed results.

Reminds me of Dr. Rudin and Mr. Lucio.

CM has ditched six attorneys, not including himself.
Ponce, Call, Mettias, Askandar, Brunner, and Terrel. I wonder why?

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that maybe part of the reason CM fired Matthias was he was talking too much about the case everywhere he went and spoke.

RSBM--"respectfully sleuthed by me" :D

Reminds me of Dr. Rudin and Mr. Lucio.

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that maybe part of the reason CM fired Matthias was he was talking too much about the case everywhere he went and spoke.

It’s a good thing CM fired Mettias. He has since lost his law license.

On Ryan & her affiliation with Mark Perlin at Cybergenetics...I found this tidbit interesting on their website and it really angers me & I hope like heck that the Prosecution questions Mr. Perlin about these tidbits on his website when they cross examine him.

Cybgen link:
DNA transfer for lawyers

DNA has tremendous power in the courtroom. Typically introduced by a prosecutor for establishing probative connections between crime scene and defendant, the defender's task is to neutralize that probative power. DNA's message is that someone has left their biological material in an unexpected place, where it doesn't belong; the rejoinder is that the DNA evidence is entirely expected to be there.

How is this done? An increasingly common approach is through the defense argument of "DNA transfer." Here are some examples.

1. Why is the defendant's DNA on the victim' s underwear? Because it transferred there in the laundry. He's innocent.
  2. How did the defendant's DNA get on the weapon? Because it was wrapped in a towel taken from his home. He's innocent.
  3. When was the defendant's DNA left in the deceased's pants pocket? The prosecutor says it was when he rifled through clothing to steal the victim's wallet. The defense replies the two men knew each other - it's only innocent DNA transfer that happened at an earlier time, before the crime occurred.
DNA transfer gives defenders hope - and prosecutors anguish. How does one respond to a vague assertion that can introduce reasonable doubt about solid DNA evidence? The rebuttal comes from established science that can show why the proffered DNA transfer is not likely, given the facts of the case and DNA science.

So why is this guy going to testify for the defense?? It seems hypocritical IMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member