CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time a defendant is on trial for murder, that person's character becomes an issue: you cannot separate a person's character from that person: it is absurd to think a person's character is not part of that person, or that a person's character does not become part of the credibility of the defendant.

The State of CA have a trail of evidence, direct and circumstantial, that leads to Merritt as the perpetrator of the crime.
Where is the DT's trail of evidence direct or circumstantial that leads away from Merritt as being the perpetrator?
I am certainly not convinced by anything the DT have produced yet.

I believe so, wasn't it CM's former employee who testified about it?

I know a former employee testified, Elva Fonseca, but I don't recall this specifically, maybe I will go back and listen later. That's why I asked if it was fact or rumour.

What do you think the jury will do? They will have direct evidence Merritt is guilty from the state of CA's investigation.

There is zero "direct evidence" CM is guilty. I watched all the hearings. The State's case is pitiful.

One can speculate as much as one wants, but guilty/not guilty is only based on evidence.

Agreed but only one person has been charged and is on trial, to continue to point fingers at other associates of the family is not based on any known facts as discovered by investigators.

Anybody can throw accusations out there, but I think its safe to assume that there was no evidence to tie anyone to the crime other than CM
There are many reasons CM is on trial and its not because some unethical prosecution is out to get CM

JMO

Agreed but only one person has been charged and is on trial, to continue to point fingers at other associates of the family is not based on any known facts as discovered by investigators.

Anybody can throw accusations out there, but I think its safe to assume that there was no evidence to tie anyone to the crime other than CM
There are many reasons CM is on trial and its not because some unethical prosecution is out to get CM

JMO

That's because the PT has been having tunnel vision, fixated on CM and refuse to look at others with the same scrutiny.

Being on trial is for the purpose of determining guilty or not. Haven't there been people wrongly prosecuted?

That's because the PT has been having tunnel vision, fixated on CM and refuse to look at others with the same scrutiny.

Being on trial is for the purpose of determining guilty or not. Haven't there been people wrongly prosecuted?

I have seen no evidence that they didn't investigate others with the same scrutiny, If they could find no evidence to point in another direction then its hard for me to speculate.

Personally I believe they have the right person in this case

Last edited:
I try hard to not let this crime get to me.
It's impossible.
I think that this crime is one of the worst in California's history that does not involve gangs, drugs or prostitution.
A complete family brutally murdered, probably in front of each other for a bit of money. By a man they allowed into their lives.
It cannot get worse then this.
But, yes it does.
This entire murdered family, which should be FRONT page news... gets next to none.

Here is a lighthearted question for both sides:
So far, who is your favorite witness? :rolleyes:

Mine is Mr. Gregg M. Stutchman. :D

Last edited:

JMO

Right, only Merritt has been charged. But this is the TRIAL thread, and part of the TRIAL strategy from the defense is pointing the finger elsewhere, mostly DK, so it is now part of the TRIAL.

Also part of the TRIAL, the defense has said that LE had tunnel vision and that there was confirmation bias, so of course there is only evidence against Merritt, that's part of the defense, and again, part of the TRIAL. We are all free to have an opinion, and decide whether we can accept or reject those theories presented at trial. JMO

Right, only Merritt has been charged. But this is the TRIAL thread, and part of the TRIAL strategy from the defense is pointing the finger elsewhere, mostly DK, so it is now part of the TRIAL.

Also part of the TRIAL, the defense has said that LE had tunnel vision and that there was confirmation bias, so of course there is only evidence against Merritt, that's part of the defense, and again, part of the TRIAL. We are all free to have an opinion, and decide whether we can accept or reject those theories presented at trial. JMO

Agreed, And as part of the TRIAL I have the right to state my opinion and reject those theories as not fact based.....

Agree to disagree on that account

My favorite witness is the two timed felon himself and what he says and does not say.

Which witness is two time felon? If you are referring to CM, he has not testified.

What about Motive, Lack of Alibi, State of Mind, Physical Abilty (or lack thereof) ? Circumstantial Evidence?

Motive - Means - Opportunity

One can have motive, means, opportunity, and yet not committed the murder. E.g. suppose I desperately needs money, have a billionaire neighbor who is 95 years old living alone, whom I visit once in a while. You could say I have the motive, means, ability and opportunity to murder the neighbor, but I would never murder anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamonara