CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMIGOD you guys I am traveling on biz and missing EVERYTHING.. Im trying to catch up, the last thread was really good, Im trying to read everyones posts so I hope I can get caught up over the weekend...Im so mad I had to leave town, I even tried to get out of it! ...we have to prosecute Chase Merritt and put him on Death Row. It's fascinating to see the backside of this story and have these details start to fill in...fascinating and so sad and depressing.

Chase Merritt is trash. mOO

Watching the footage from first thing this morning...

DuGal took a dig at PM as far as I'm concerned, saying ADOPTIVE father, as if that means he didn't give a poo about JM, he just lost what very little respect I could have had for him. JMO

Did we know that all of Joey's VM's were gone when he listened to them? Where did they go? who accessed them? who deleted them? Is this not strange???

Didn't request any financial info from DV ...

This testimony is ticking me off. JMO

huh... so during testimony, DuGal said 'he wished he could prove that and still can't prove that' ... in regards to stealing money from Joseph would have given them probable cause (to get the records). I wonder how the jury will process that comment.

He gets info from DK, but doesn't actually check to see if it's true by comparing it to the records... *sigh*

omg he doesn't even know if DK has a paypal account!!!! :eek:

I don't like the prosecutor objecting all the time...looks like they are hiding something... JMO

Again he says there was no way to know if the money flowing was illegal without Joseph's words... ugggh

He asked if they (DK and CM) had a legal right, they said yes, so he just carried on and didn't investigate the transactions! CRAZY!

Asked if he requested ANY banking information from DK... he says no... (which means they probably do NOT have any record of Hawaii trip, where they may have been able to see transactions IMO) Also didn't request CM's at that time.

still listening... lol

a thought crossed my mind the other day when reading something... maybe the cord was wrapped around him to just make it easier to move him? wrap him.. pull him around by the cord? in and out of a truck... the blanket to contain the blood and just plainly to cover a body.. the tie wrap, again to make moving him easier?

The end of the cord, or one end of it anyway, was found in the other gravesite, my first thought was pulling on it and it breaking off.

All JMO
The cord looks cut to me. I've said this from the beginning, IMO it was meant to restrain him. You're not going to tie a cord around a dead man's neck, it serves no purpose. Chase wasn't weak by any stretch, he could carry or drag Joseph. I'm bothered by the knot, seems like not a normal square knot. Looks more like a bowline knot.

Last edited:
The cord looks cut to me. I've said this from the beginning, IMO it was meant to restrain him. Your're not going to tie a cord around a dead man's neck, it serves no purpose. Chase wasn't weak by any stretch, he could carry or drag Joseph. I'm bothered by the knot, seems like not a normal square knot. Looks more like a bowline knot.
Just out of curiosity, do we know if CM has any military background and/or boating/sailing experience?

@missy1974 thanks for posting all the videos I posted them as well but I truly appreciate your help

no problem.. did it for purely selfish reasons LOL I wanted to go have a hot soak and was easier to find them once I put them in this thread :) Thanks for all the tweets and links to videos :)

Yes I think so too as can anybody confirm this as I’m sure Summer called him on the way home but he never answered the phone to her. He checked the voice mail she left but why would you not just call her back instead?

I think Chase had the phone at that stage personally.

I've entertained this. There is a problem with that, Merritt's phone was pinging Rancho Cucamonga while Joseph's was pinging in Temecula or near Fallbrook. Merritt had to been there to answer his phone unless someone else was answering. It's possible but not plausible imo.

The cord looks cut to me. I've said this from the beginning, IMO it was meant to restrain him. Your're not going to tie a cord around a dead man's neck, it serves no purpose. Chase wasn't weak by any stretch, he could carry or drag Joseph. I'm bothered by the knot, seems like not a normal square knot. Looks more like a bowline knot.

hmmm so what does the bowline knot mean ... or what is your opinion?

ETA: I just googled the knot... this seems to be the "stupid" knot my husband always makes and I can't make haha

Last edited:
huh... so during testimony, DuGal said 'he wished he could prove that and still can't prove that' ... in regards to stealing money from Joseph would have given them probable cause (to get the records). I wonder how the jury will process that comment.

He gets info from DK, but doesn't actually check to see if it's true by comparing it to the records... *sigh*

omg he doesn't even know if DK has a paypal account!!!! :eek:

I don't like the prosecutor objecting all the time...looks like they are hiding something... JMO

Again he says there was no way to know if the money flowing was illegal without Joseph's words... ugggh

He asked if they (DK and CM) had a legal right, they said yes, so he just carried on and didn't investigate the transactions! CRAZY!

Asked if he requested ANY banking information from DK... he says no... (which means they probably do NOT have any record of Hawaii trip, where they may have been able to see transactions IMO) Also didn't request CM's at that time.

still listening... lol
You have to go back, he had limited availability to verify anything. I know, it sucks, but what he has stated is truth.

hmmm so what does the bowline knot mean ... or what is your opinion?

ETA: I just googled the knot... this seems to be the "stupid" knot my husband always makes and I can't make haha
I don't know what it means. I almost thought it was a slipknot but I don't think so. But the knot is not tight like you might see in a square knot.

Did anyone catch Maline questioning (or trying to) Dugal about John Pugsley?

You have to go back, he had limited availability to verify anything. I know, it sucks, but what he has stated is truth.

I do understand the limitations... but the way he said "I couldn't prove that and STILL can't prove that" just stuck out to me, and then again says later that there was no way to prove it was illegal without Joseph's words. From the standpoint of a juror, I would be curious to know what they think of those statements. I think that would stick in my mind later in the trial when they are trying to prove that they were illegally accessed/obtained, in a way, DuGal just helped CM explain those transactions without CM even testifying. JMO

I didn't. I quit listening for now. Who is he?

ETA: googled it, DK's grandfather?

Yes, it's towards the end. The defense eventually requested a side bar and then the defense was no longer questioning Dugal. At some point Dan transferred some money into his grandfather's account. I don't remember how we found this out, it was years ago. Pugsley was an expat and wrote books on how to successfully be an expat. Before the remains were found one of the more far out but popular theories was that Pugsley helped the family 'escape' and they were living abroad thanks to him.

Last edited:
From the prosecution opening statement that Tortoise so kindly typed transcripts for us:

Placard 16 here denotes Earth Inspired Products cheques. The top cheque was 4245.

and:

the first cheque that was created was no. 4093 the second cheque was no. 4092
----

So Chase apparently stole a packet of blank checks from Joey before he began his thieving, I wonder if the prosecution has an idea of when, or how long this plan of Chase's may have been in effect.

I knew that the trial of these murders would be heart wrenching.
I am so thankful that by an almost miracle, this family was found in a vaste and desolate desert. Hundreds of miles away from their home.
The McStay family is like many of us.
Good people, working hard on their small business, raising their two small boys.
I don't believe that there is anyway that this family could ever prepare for the evil that entered their home that night and tortured and killed all of them.
Then discarded them all, little baby boys and their loving parents, as if they were trash.
I guess that because they are "normal folks" versus wealthy, that this crime and trial is not worthy of the main stream media.
But. It should be.
I want the prosecutors to up their game. They are boring me and I am passionate about this case.
I want the killer of the entire McStay family convicted and put away for life. Period.

From the prosecution opening statement that Tortoise so kindly typed transcripts for us:

Placard 16 here denotes Earth Inspired Products cheques. The top cheque was 4245.

and:

the first cheque that was created was no. 4093 the second cheque was no. 4092
----

So Chase apparently stole a packet of blank checks from Joey before he began his thieving, I wonder if the prosecution has an idea of when, or how long this plan of Chase's may have been in effect.

I can't wait to hear the testimony about the Quickbooks. I am looking forward to actually seeing these transactions and having someone, other than lawyers or cops, explain them to us and hopefully we get lots of questions answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor