CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 5m5 minutes ago
#McStay - DELAYED: A juror was involved in an accident. Next update from court is at 11am PST/2pm EST to see if trial will happen today

Dy0exi5VAAA0z7g.jpg

1 reply1 retweet1 like

I'm no cell phone expert, and in fact I've never owned one, which will probably become abundantly clear from my questions and possibly false interpretations.

I noticed a few strange things on Joey's records. (see screenshot below - click to enlarge)

On a different date I noticed that when Joey was at home (my interpretation based on string of calls to/from Fallbrook) the cell tower location is "51132 Fallbrook". When he's on the move, ie he's still in Fallbrook but his next call location is a different town, the cell tower location is "51133 Fallbrook".

If this is correct, on the 4th,

4.18 pm his cell location is 51133 (on the move close to home) - 3 minute call to Chase' phone (lasting until 4.21 pm).
4.25 pm (4 mins later) the house phone makes a call to Joey but it isn't on his call records, so his phone is off and voicemail is left?
4.27 pm (2 mins later) his cell location is 51132 (at home) when 2 x voicemails are retrieved (4 min. and 2 min.) so 4.27 to 4.33 pm. The second voicemail could be the 4.25 house call. The first voicemail could be if the house phone tried calling him at 4.18.
5.05 pm text from Summer's phone to Joey - not on his call records so phone off?
5.47 pm (1 hr 14 mins after the voicemail retrieval) his cell is at 51132 (at home) makes a +/- 3 min. call to Chase' phone.
8.28 pm (2 hrs 40 mins later) his cell location is 51133 (on the move close to home) calls Chase +/- 1 minute, call doesn't connect.

Looking at this and using my interpretations I would say something happened to Joey before 4.25 pm. His phone off after calling Chase, the house phone making a call to him 4 mins after he connects Chase, and then 2 minutes later listening to voicemails at home. Summer must be at home to call him at 4.25, so she's not out. If he's there 2 minutes later there's no need to check the voicemails from her, he can ask what's up as he walks in the door. She texts him half an hour later and his phone is off again but he was there (if he was with his phone) at times either side of her text. He makes no work calls all afternoon.

I speculate 4.18 pm that is Chase getting near the home with Joey's phone. All the calls to Chase' phone are a ruse to try and show Joey is alive and going home, because he is a prolific phone user, voicemails are left. After the 5.48 call Chase' phone runs out of charge. Chase is parked in the driveway by 4.25 and Summer calls Joey to ask what Chase is doing outside. He sits in his truck and plays back the voicemails. After 4.33 pm he knocks on the door and Summer opens the door because she thinks something might have happened to Joey. He's there from 4.33 to just before 8 pm, less than 3 and a half hours. He's killed Summer and the children, put them in clothing containers, has cleaned up, dealt with the dogs and the fence, and then gathers business information from the office for his needs. When he gets back to his phone at 9.32 pm he puts it on charge to call Cathy.

The other thing I don't know is whether charged cell phones ping the tower when a voicemail is left.

View attachment 167925
The only problem with that scenario is while Joesph is calling Merritt at 5:47 his phone was pinging in Ranch Cucamonga.

To your other point about the two different tower pings in Fallbrook, he actually could have been standing still or even at home. If a tower has a lot of traffic it will reroute a call or text to another local tower. Their home is right off a major freeway with a ton of traffic for that time of day. I've actually had my home IP address register to a tower in a neighboring city as well as my own town. I also live off the same freeway about the same distance.

I too think Joey was incapacitated or dead much earlier and I would guess before 4:18 pm. That would have given CM much more time at the Fallbrook house. Joey was on the phone constantly all day but after the "meeting" there is no record of him actually speaking to anyone. In order for CM to play back the voicemails on Joey's phone did he need a passcode? I have forgotten but I think that was discussed.

Yes, it was stated that a pin was necessary to access voice mails, but since CM was able to get into the Custom EIP QB account, he may also have been able to get Joey's pin number.

I expect to hear a lot of sustained objectives from the prosecution. I'm guessing what DK stated in interviews will also not be allowed? Defense will go for the throat on him, specifically the transactions and the sale of EIP. He may actually come out unscathed, although he's pretty cocky and I could see the defense getting him rattled very easily.

hmmm I'm not sure about his interviews, if you are meaning police interviews, I would be surprised if those statements couldn't be used.

I think what I heard yesterday was more to do with questioning other witnesses about Dan, like McGyver couldn't say anything, the defense couldn't ask him anything about Dan's background/statements made to him.

I think once Dan is on the witness stand, that's a different ball game and I am positive there will be some arguing before he is called LOL

The only problem with that scenario is while Joesph is calling Merritt at 5:47 his phone was pinging in Ranch Cucamonga.

To your other point about the two different tower pings in Fallbrook, he actually could have been standing still or even at home. If a tower has a lot of traffic it will reroute a call or text to another local tower. Their home is right off a major freeway with a ton of traffic for that time of day. I've actually had my home IP address register to a tower in a neighboring city as well as my own town. I also live off the same freeway about the same distance.
Ah, I haven't seen any info about where Merritt's phone was pinging.

Yes I did consider it could be two towers connecting to when he was in the same house but the patterns on the day I saw were one when he was at home consistently and a different one when he was leaving Fallbrook. Could just be coincidental but it's a strange coincidence to be the first tower he hits as he drives back from Rancho on the 4th and we know the truck also leaves sometime after 8pm.

Why would Joey need a pin to access his own voice mails?

Is this a U.S thing as I don’t need a pin to listen to my own voice mails and I have never heard of that before?

hmmm I'm not sure about his interviews, if you are meaning police interviews, I would be surprised if those statements couldn't be used.

I think what I heard yesterday was more to do with questioning other witnesses about Dan, like McGyver couldn't say anything, the defense couldn't ask him anything about Dan's background/statements made to him.

I think once Dan is on the witness stand, that's a different ball game and I am positive there will be some arguing before he is called LOL
Not the LE interviews but the ones he did on TV. I would think they wouldn't be able to use them like they will Merritt's because he's not the one on trial.

I'm no cell phone expert, and in fact I've never owned one, which will probably become abundantly clear from my questions and possibly false interpretations.

I noticed a few strange things on Joey's records. (see screenshot below - click to enlarge)

On a different date I noticed that when Joey was at home (my interpretation based on string of calls to/from Fallbrook) the cell tower location is "51132 Fallbrook". When he's on the move, ie he's still in Fallbrook but his next call location is a different town, the cell tower location is "51133 Fallbrook".

If this is correct, on the 4th,

4.18 pm his cell location is 51133 (on the move close to home) - 3 minute call to Chase' phone (lasting until 4.21 pm).
4.25 pm (4 mins later) the house phone makes a call to Joey but it isn't on his call records, so his phone is off and voicemail is left?
4.27 pm (2 mins later) his cell location is 51132 (at home) when 2 x voicemails are retrieved (4 min. and 2 min.) so 4.27 to 4.33 pm. The second voicemail could be the 4.25 house call. The first voicemail could be if the house phone tried calling him at 4.18.
5.05 pm text from Summer's phone to Joey - not on his call records so phone off?
5.47 pm (1 hr 14 mins after the voicemail retrieval) his cell is at 51132 (at home) makes a +/- 3 min. call to Chase' phone.
8.28 pm (2 hrs 40 mins later) his cell location is 51133 (on the move close to home) calls Chase +/- 1 minute, call doesn't connect.

Looking at this and using my interpretations I would say something happened to Joey before 4.25 pm. His phone off after calling Chase, the house phone making a call to him 4 mins after he connects Chase, and then 2 minutes later listening to voicemails at home. Summer must be at home to call him at 4.25, so she's not out. If he's there 2 minutes later there's no need to check the voicemails from her, he can ask what's up as he walks in the door. She texts him half an hour later and his phone is off again but he was there (if he was with his phone) at times either side of her text. He makes no work calls all afternoon.

I speculate 4.18 pm that is Chase getting near the home with Joey's phone. All the calls to Chase' phone are a ruse to try and show Joey is alive and going home, because he is a prolific phone user, voicemails are left. After the 5.48 call Chase' phone runs out of charge. Chase is parked in the driveway by 4.25 and Summer calls Joey to ask what Chase is doing outside. He sits in his truck and plays back the voicemails. After 4.33 pm he knocks on the door and Summer opens the door because she thinks something might have happened to Joey. He's there from 4.33 to just before 8 pm, less than 3 and a half hours. He's killed Summer and the children, put them in clothing containers, has cleaned up, dealt with the dogs and the fence, and then gathers business information from the office for his needs. When he gets back to his phone at 9.32 pm he puts it on charge to call Cathy.

The other thing I don't know is whether charged cell phones ping the tower when a voicemail is left.

View attachment 167925
WOW awesome post right here!!!!

Yes I did consider it could be two towers connecting to when he was in the same house but the patterns on the day I saw were one when he was at home consistently and a different one when he was leaving Fallbrook. Could just be coincidental but it's a strange coincidence to be the first tower he hits as he drives back from Rancho on the 4th and we know the truck also leaves sometime after 8pm.
Much of the ping info is in the Prelim transcripts.

State of California VS Charles Ray Merritt: Part Three - Transcript of Charles Merritt Preliminary

In regards to CM's pings:

A My analysis on February 4th starts at 9:51 A.M. And there are a multitude of calls throughout the day, through 5:48 P.M. And during that time the cell phone has contact with two different cell towers that are adjacent to each other in the Rancho Cucamonga area.

State of California VS Charles Ray Merritt: Part Three - Transcript of Charles Merritt Preliminary

Why would Joey need a pin to access his own voice mails?

Is this a U.S thing as I don’t need a pin to listen to my own voice mails and I have never heard of that before?

I don't have VM on my cell phone and haven't for years. I'm Canadian, but I do recall having to put a PIN in. I just asked my daughter who has VM, she says yes, she has to put a PIN in.

Just my 2 cents.

I did not follow all the details, so pardon me for asking: why is it thought it was CM who made the call to Ryan Baker pretending to be JM? Couldn't it be someone else?

Not the LE interviews but the ones he did on TV. I would think they wouldn't be able to use them like they will Merritt's because he's not the one on trial.

I'm not sure Force Ten, my guess would be no, but then again... there are some things that are surprising me here haha So... maybe it would depend on what it is being said or if it contradicts something else.

My concern with some of the TV interviews...... how do we know if they were edited or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaborde2576