CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are his comments.

Registration | Daily Mail Online | Daily Mail Online

Interesting. He mentions the paypal account... He sticks up for Mike.

I have been looking lots in the old threads the last few days. One thing I haven't come across but have been thinking about, is.. I recall that Joey's phone called someone and a message was left... it was really muffled and it was thought that maybe it was a butt dial and they were in a restaurant. I only recall this because I remember Mike posting about it and we as posters were trying to help him find close by places and iirc he even went to them to see if CC's were used that night, etc. Does anyone else recall this? And who's phone was the message left on?

Yes that was Joey’s final phone call and Chase didn’t pick up as “he was watching a film with his girlfriend” it was about 8.25pm if I remember correctly.

I am sure we will hear something on that phone call because if Chase was the killer and already in the home at that time because of the cheque writing at 8pm what’s up with that phone call?

Phones calls:

Thursday, February 4

9:51am to 5:48pm - CM cell phone pinged in Rancho Cucamonga.

9:41am - Summer speaks to her sister in the morning, and makes plans to visit her and her newborn child.

Joey’s calls:
8am – 4pm - Joey makes work calls
8:45am – 9:31am – business call / VM retrieval
9:36am – incoming call from EIP 22 min
9:40am – incoming call from CM 3 min
2/4/2010 Incoming 10:19 AM CM 909-374 = 4 min

2/4/2010 Daytonabch, FL 10:34 AM 386-383 (F) 2 -
2/4/2010 Incoming 10:39 AM PM-father 281-475 4 – Joey to Patrick
2/4/2010 Incoming 10:43 AM EIP 949-274-4674 (A) 2 – EIP to Joey
2/4/2010 Pomona, CA 10:46 AM CM 909-374 = 4 min
2/4/2010 Incoming 11:06 AM EIP 949-274-4674 17 min – EIP to Joey
2/4/2010 Incoming 11:18 AM EIP 949-274-4674 (A) 15 min – EIP to Joey
2/4/2010 Incoming 11:33 AM CM 909-374 = 2 min
2/4/2010 Kingsport, TN 11:38 AM 423-963- 2 -
2/4/2010 Kingsport, TN 11:39 AM 423-963- 1 -
2/4/2010 Vm Retrieval 11:41 AM 123 (G) 1 -
2/4/2010 Incoming 11:43 AM Blocked NBR 6 -
2/4/2010 Incoming 11:46 AM 386-383- (A) 5 -
2/4/2010 Capstr Vly, CA 11:51 AM bank/accntnt 949-492- (A) 2 - Joey calls accountant.
2/4/2010 Pomona, CA 11:53 AM CM 909-374 2min - then Joey calls Chase at 11:53,
2/4/2010 Pomona, CA 11:56 AM CM 909-374 Text Outgoing 1 - followed by a text at 11:56
2/4/2010 Anoka, MN 11:57 AM 651-746- 1 -
2/4/2010 St Paul, MN 11:58 AM 651-261- (A) 2 -

Thursday, Feb. 4, 12 noon - Joseph logged in to Quickbooks, and then between noon and 1pm. Noon: Joseph leaves home in his Isuzu Trooper for a meeting with an employee in Rancho Cucamonga. It takes 1 ½ hours to drive from home to Rancho Cucamonga.

Joey’s calls:
12 noon - 2 calls from Joey to Union Bank
2/4/2010 Daytonabch, FL 12:00 PM 386-383 (A) 2
2/4/2010 1-800 # 12:02 PM fountains 800-622- (A) 4 -
2/4/2010 Incoming 12:04 PM 203-699- (A) 8 -
2/4/2010 Vm Retrieval 12:11 PM 123 (G) 4 -
2/4/2010 Capstr Vly, CA 12:15 PM bank/accntnt 949-492- 7 - Joey speaks with the "bank/accountant" for seven minutes (or leaves VM)
2/4/2010 Dublinsnrm, CA 12:22 PM 925-560- 5 -
2/4/2010 Pomona, CA 12:28 PM CM 909-374 6 min - Joey then calls Chase twice at 12:28 and again at 12:52. There is a 1 minute incoming from Chase at 1:01. LeoMoon80: Joe M. calls Pomono California 12:28PM (or it pings there) This call to CM lasted 6 minutes, a rather long time as you will see for the rest of the calls back and forth. Sounds like he must have read him the riot act after speaking earlier to his bank at 12:15PM.
2/4/2010 Hopewell, VA 12:52 PM 804-541 8 –
2/4/2010 Pomona, CA 12:52 PM CM 909-374 1 min
1pm - Joey called his Union Bank. The same bank where CM had cashed the $2,495 check two days earlier. IMO, this is when JM first found out Chase had cashed the fraudulent check. This also would be around the time of the lunch meeting in Rancho Cucamonga.
2/4/2010 Incoming 1:01 PM CM 909-374 1min -
Joey calls no one between that time and 3:03, (possibly the lunch or whatever meeting)
3:03pm – calll to CM 1 min
3:32pm – call to CM 2 min
4:18pm – call to CM 3 min

4:27pm – VM retrieval

Thursday, Feb. 4 – 1pm – 3pm - per CM received a legitimate $200 handwritten check from JM. CM used that check to open a B of A account.

Summer:
2:11 pm: Summer made her last cell phone call at to a homeopathic medicine company, and an employee remembered it well. It came minutes after an Internet search for the word "Anger" on the company website. (“Summer was adamant that she wanted to purchase a medication called Anger," DuGal said. "They said, 'Ma'am, it doesn't exist.'") Added - Inquiry made via homeopathic company website on home computer for 'anger' homeopathic remedy - followed up with telephone call further inquiring. (source: A year later, family's disappearance is a mystery).

2:36 pm: Summer’s credit card is used to buy beach bags, infant pajamas and a jacket from a Ross store in Vista about a 20 minutes drive from their home. Afternoon - someone uses Summer’s card at Ross in Temecula for 4 baby onesies. (source: How the McStay case unfolded)

Thursday, Feb. 4 – Time could be 2:36pm - This is the last known face-to-face interaction Summer and kids have with friends and family.

Summer:
3:52 pm - Home computer is used to search Craigslist for children’s toys. (source: How the McStay case unfolded). There were toys found in the rear compartment of the SUV when found at the border.

Joey’s calls:
4:25 pm - Outgoing call from home phone to Joseph’s cell, which pings from Fallbrook tower. This is the last outgoing call from the home phone.

Joey’s Calls:
2/4/2010 Vm Retrieval 4:27 PM 123 (G) 4 -
2/4/2010 Vm Retrieval 4:31 PM 123 (G) 2 –
2/4/2010 E-Notes 5:47 PM 3887 Text Incoming 1 (per Bessie: the e-notes were system messages from the T-Mobile network).
2/4/2010 Pomona, CA 5:47 PM CM 909-374 3 min - He supposedly calls Chase again at 5:47. Other than the 8:28pm call (possibly by CM to cover his tracks) no one hears from the family again after 5:47 on 2/4.
5 pm and 5:47 pm - Text messages between Joseph’s and Summer’s cell phones.
At 5:48 pm, Chase heads south to the McStay house.

Thursday, Feb. 4, 5:48pm to 9:32pm - CM cell phone disabled
9:32pm – Cell phone pings off Mira Loma cell tower
(Riverside County, approximately 10 to 12 miles south of the Rancho Cucamonga area; 45 to 50 miles from the Fallbrook area). Per Preliminary Transcripts, page 83. This is an outgoing call to the 5 missing phone calls (Katherine’s #)

Thursday, Feb. 4, 7:47 pm - A neighbor’s security surveillance video catches the Isuzu leaving the street. Only the bottom portion of vehicle is visible; occupants cannot be seen. (source: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/...arance-filled/ )

Thursday, Feb. 4, 7:59pm - someone used the McStay Desktop computer to create (@ 7:59pm) and delete (@ 8:05pm) a Quickbooks check for $4,000. This check was never deposited or cashed. The memo
line on this check said, Paul Mitchell check dated 2-4-10. Per Prelim hearing page 109 – transaction from McStay’s desktop;

Joey’s call:
2/4/2010 Pomona, CA 8:28 PM CM 909-374 1 – 1 minute call to CM’s phone was registered from JM’s phone.
8:28 p.m.: Joseph calls an employee in Rancho Cucamonga and discusses work. His cell phone pings off a Fallbrook tower.
14 calls to/from Chase/Joey

Feb. 4 at 9:32pm - CM cell pinged at Mira Loma south of Rancho Cucamonga

Per Preliminary hearing transcripts – McGyver McCarger tries calling both Joseph and Summer to resume the painting. He continues through February 5th. All calls go to voice mail. (page 42-43)

Hope that helps!

This may seem like a weird question but here goes

Do we know for a fact that Chase had lunch with Joey that day?

It doesn’t add up that they had a 2 hour lunch and then straight away that Joey then calls Chase after a long lunch!!

I am wondering if Joey had a business meeting with somebody else and then when he had finished he contacts Chase.

Last edited:
Here are his comments.

Registration | Daily Mail Online | Daily Mail Online

Interesting. He mentions the paypal account... He sticks up for Mike.

I have been looking lots in the old threads the last few days. One thing I haven't come across but have been thinking about, is.. I recall that Joey's phone called someone and a message was left... it was really muffled and it was thought that maybe it was a butt dial and they were in a restaurant. I only recall this because I remember Mike posting about it and we as posters were trying to help him find close by places and iirc he even went to them to see if CC's were used that night, etc. Does anyone else recall this? And who's phone was the message left on?
Wow I thought I was the only one left around to remember this. I kept thinking it was Chase that made the statement but I think you're right, it was Mike. He could have said this in the old In Sessions board. But the story goes that Joseph left a voice mail to a business associate (Chase) and there were "restaurant sounds" in the background. This could also be Mike's reason for claiming the neighbors camera caught "the whole family getting into the Trooper. They went out to dinner that night" which we no now not to be true, or at least part of that. So I wonder, if the VM thing is true, did Chase ever relay this to LE.

I still have saved copies of the In Sessions threads, I'll see what I can dig up.

It’s a blur but didn’t the defense say the Saudi job money all went to DK and not Chase so that would explain why Chase never paid her back?

I am wondering if that’s the angle the defense will go with when they justify why he never paid her back.
I don't believe so, I'm almost positive Chase got paid directly when he finished the job.

I think he said that after the bodies were found though, it was during the Daily Mail interview. I thought that odd too but then someone pointed out he probably said it to appear less guilty. I don’t recall him saying it prior to the discovery.
He might have. But I distinctly remember being in very early news reports directly after the release of the footage. Chase said very little to media after the disappearance and this was one of only two statements he gave.

I concur, it would be easier if he just tossed the key. It seems a bit much to put it back on his person after he's dead. One thing that has always bothered me is from the very beginning Merritt stated it wasn't/couldn't be Joseph in the border video because "he walked like a duck". If Chase killed and buried them 160 miles from the border you would think he would seize on the opportunity and say "Yep definitely Joseph and family" and say something bout them talking about visiting Mexico. But he didn't.
Exactly, CM statement is completely opposite of DK stating he was in Hawaii, conveniently creating an alibi for himself, that we now know was never corroborated.

Exactly, CM statement is completely opposite of DK stating he was in Hawaii, conveniently creating an alibi for himself, that we now know was never corroborated.
I'm not ready to fully accept the defense's version of what was or wasn't corroborated. I believe there's more to it. I want to hear what the SD detectives and DK have to say about it.

Last edited:

Yes but it was not DK back dating cheques to the 4th.

For all of DK’s shadiness Chase still looks culpable here.

He turned his phone off and went dark for multiple hours whilst the family were being bludgeoned to death. That’s one hell of a coincidence and then add in all the cheques on top.

He turned his phone off and went dark for multiple hours whilst the family were being bludgeoned to death. That’s one hell of a coincidence and then add in all the cheques on top.
I believe there’s little question as to CM’s guilt regarding theft but in order to prove murder the prosecution must show forensics connecting him to either the crime scene, gravesites, murder weapon…

If you were the killer, knowing the exact date the murders took place you certainly wouldn’t choose that date to put on the fraudulent checks you’re creating.

If you were the killer, knowing the exact date the murders took place you certainly wouldn’t choose that date to put on the fraudulent checks you’re creating.

You are assuming he was smart?

This is the same person who stole off his employee days before and didn’t seemingly think there would be repercussions.

I also think he would back date cheques to the 4th as if caught dead people don’t generally write cheques. How could Joey write cheques to Chase on the 5th when murdered on the 4th?!!

You are assuming he was smart?

This is the same person who stole off his employee days before and didn’t seemingly think there would be repercussions.

I also think he would back date cheques to the 4th as if caught dead people don’t generally write cheques. How could Joey write cheques to Chase on the 5th when murdered on the 4th?!!
Good point, but why implicate yourself in a murder by following it up with a theft? If as it appears, JM became aware of the initial theft and that’s what led to the murders, the killer wouldn’t want to place themselves under the spotlight by continuing to write more fraudulent checks.

Good point, but why implicate yourself in a murder by following it up with a theft? If as it appears, JM became aware of the initial theft and that’s what led to the murders, the killer wouldn’t want to place themselves under the spotlight by continuing to write more fraudulent checks.

Why not as he assumed he had gotten away with it and let’s be honest if the bodies had not been found he would of?

He figured by writing them and then deleting them and then ringing up Quickbooks and getting them to delete the accounts it wouldn’t be traced and for nearly 4 years it worked.

He obviously had very limited knowledge of computers and assumed once deleted there would be no trace as he had wiped it.

That’s why he only sounded the alarm once he had done what he needed to do. He looks like the good guy who has seemingly noticed his boss is missing and starts calling around the family so it doesn’t look suspicious he hasn’t noticed but he only did that once he had written the cheques , cashed them and got rid of the bodies and cleaned up the house.

Why not as he assumed he had gotten away with it and let’s be honest if the bodies had not been found he would of?

He figured by writing them and then deleting them and then ringing up Quickbooks and getting them to delete the accounts it wouldn’t be traced and for nearly 4 years it worked.

He obviously had very limited knowledge of computers and assumed once deleted there would be no trace as he had wiped it.

That’s why he only sounded the alarm once he had done what he needed to do. He looks like the good guy who has seemingly noticed his boss is missing and starts calling around the family so it doesn’t look suspicious he hasn’t noticed but he only did that once he had written the cheques , cashed them and got rid of the bodies and cleaned up the house.

I agree, he was basically hiding in plain sight!

Yes that was Joey’s final phone call and Chase didn’t pick up as “he was watching a film with his girlfriend” it was about 8.25pm if I remember correctly.

I am sure we will hear something on that phone call because if Chase was the killer and already in the home at that time because of the cheque writing at 8pm what’s up with that phone call?

Maybe it was a butt dial, and Chase had control of Joeys phone at the time?

But if he thought Joey was alive and well, would he be there in the house, messing with the QB accounts, writing himself checks, calling in to change the account options, etc?

Wow I thought I was the only one left around to remember this. I kept thinking it was Chase that made the statement but I think you're right, it was Mike. He could have said this in the old In Sessions board. But the story goes that Joseph left a voice mail to a business associate (Chase) and there were "restaurant sounds" in the background. This could also be Mike's reason for claiming the neighbors camera caught "the whole family getting into the Trooper. They went out to dinner that night" which we no now not to be true, or at least part of that. So I wonder, if the VM thing is true, did Chase ever relay this to LE.

I still have saved copies of the In Sessions threads, I'll see what I can dig up.

LOL I'm not crazy then! I have been looking and haven't been able to find any mention of it here or in news stories. I am positive it was in his posts on the old board. (I can't believe you have copies of it haha I wish I could go back to them :( So much good information because Mike was posting with us) IIRC they frequented a restaurant that was close by, and maybe attached to or close to a hotel. Also, IIRC, Mike did go there, a waitress knew the family but couldn't recall that evening and they couldn't find any paper record of them being there.

If there is a way you can send me those old threads, I would appreciate it! I actually went into my old internet explorer to see my bookmarks for this case.. yes I had "McStay Bookmarks" lol ... but I couldn't find anything good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme