Found Deceased CA - John Sturkie, 55, planned to go to the beach, Oceanside, San Diego County, 4 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I noticed the PI has removed the information about John being a drug user from their investigative website. Pressure from the family who is paying them? There is also a second go fund me (if you google it) from a woman in Lousiana. It posts the photo of the men at the truck site without their faces being blurred. They are all posting big smiles and high fives, unusual for strangers that just happened to find John. If you find someone in the mountains in trouble, who takes such an Instagram moment picture? IMO the photo is not current. There is no proof anywhere, PI or LE, that men actually found John only words from the family. LE has not verified that a 911 call ever occurred. There is just an abandoned truck in the mountains. I think LE is not looking for a body as, like me, they don't think he was actually there. I think something happened in El Cajon and the truck was a distraction. Sorry to say it, but there is NO evidence that is backed up by LE or MSM that he was ever in the mountains. All that information is coming from family on their Go Fund Me.

I noticed the PI has removed the information about John being a drug user from their investigative website. Pressure from the family who is paying them? There is also a second go fund me (if you google it) from a woman in Lousiana. It posts the photo of the men at the truck site without their faces being blurred. They are all posting big smiles and high fives, unusual for strangers that just happened to find John. If you find someone in the mountains in trouble, who takes such an Instagram moment picture? IMO the photo is not current. There is no proof anywhere, PI or LE, that men actually found John only words from the family. LE has not verified that a 911 call ever occurred. There is just an abandoned truck in the mountains. I think LE is not looking for a body as, like me, they don't think he was actually there. I think something happened in El Cajon and the truck was a distraction. Sorry to say it, but there is NO evidence that is backed up by LE or MSM that he was ever in the mountains. All that information is coming from family on their Go Fund Me.

Very interesting that the substance abuse info has been removed.

I respect your skepticism but the photo itself doesn't strike me as strange if the story is true that it was taken after they helped get John's truck unstuck the first time. However, what stood out to me is these guys were described as hikers, but they don't really look dressed for it, IMO.

Very interesting that the substance abuse info has been removed.

I respect your skepticism but the photo itself doesn't strike me as strange if the story is true that it was taken after they helped get John's truck unstuck the first time. However, what stood out to me is these guys were described as hikers, but they don't really look dressed for it, IMO.
Good point - they are supposed to be there to hike, in wintry conditions but all of them are wearing lightweight jackets, more suitable to warm temperatures and ball caps.

I'm curious to know what the great clues are. Is LE actively investigating this case? I'm unclear about that.

On January 23rd, Oceanside Police Department posted on its FB page “Have you seen John Sturkie? If so, please notify the Oceanside Police Department“ along with the poster below:

D565CD77-2C09-460E-BFC9-CD9AA78DF55E.jpeg
Oceanside Police Department

And his information was entered into NamUs on April 11th:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

To the best of knowledge, that’s all LE has said so far regarding the case.

Thank you for posting this well researched article, Keres.

It answers all of the questions I had previously. I agree with John’s wife, Theresa, that John is likely somewhere near his truck:

“[SBM]

On June 1, she [Theresa Sturkie] will lead a volunteer search party to an area in the Mount San Jacinto State Park and Wilderness Area near Fuller Ridge.

[SBM]

The Tuesday after he disappeared, Theresa filed a missing person’s report with the Oceanside Police Department. Then, every day for the next month she drove to the station to see if there was any news. She discovered that John did meet up with friends the night he left home, but only for a few hours before driving off. She also discovered there was no activity on her husband’s credit cards after Jan. 5, and the last activity on his phone was that same day at 6:42 p.m.

It wasn’t until Feb. 10, when Oceanside Police obtained a warrant for cellphone tower records that they discovered the last ‘ping’ on John’s phone was in the mountains near San Jacinto, Banning and Beaumont. Armed with this information, they searched the database of 911 calls in that area. They found a call report from Jan. 5 by three men who had met Sturkie that day on the Black Mountain Truck Trail northwest of Idyllwild.

Earlier this week, search leader [a mountain rescue expert Cathy] Tarr spoke with one of the men who placed the 911 call. He and his friends went up the 7,000-foot mountain on Jan. 5 to do some off-roading in a new truck. Just past the Fuller Ridge campground, which is eight miles from the nearest paved road, Highway 243, they came upon Sturkie, whose truck was stuck on the trail.

They helped Sturkie get his truck unstuck and the four men caravanned three miles further on the rough trail to a lower elevation, where they stopped to shoot skeet and took a group photo. When they hit the trail’s end, they turned around to head back up the hill, but Sturkie’s tires couldn’t get traction and it got stuck four more times, Tarr said.

As they neared Fuller Ridge again, Sturkie’s truck got stuck again and was down to just 60 miles worth of gas. The men begged Sturkie to ride down the mountain with them because it was getting dark and snow was already falling. Sturkie didn’t have a winter coat or any camping supplies, but he refused to leave his truck. When the men offered to alert a ranger to his whereabouts on their way out of the park, he told them he didn’t want anyone to know where he was, Tarr said.

[SBM]

Worried for his safety, the men called 911 as soon as they could get cellphone reception as they drove down the mountain. The call was sent to the Riverside County sheriff’s station in Cabazon. The men gave the 911 operator Sturkie’s name, license plate number and last known location. They also told the operator that Sturkie didn’t want assistance.

Sgt. Chris Mattson, who works at the Cabazon station but wasn’t there that day, said that because the men told the 911 operator that Sturkie didn’t ask for assistance, it was classified as a disabled vehicle, not a rescue emergency, and the message was passed along to the California Highway Patrol. Whether the CHP responded to the call is not known. It wasn’t until a month later, when the Oceanside Police contacted the station about its missing person case that deputies in Cabazon made the connection.

[SBM]

Finally, on March 15, a hiker from the Idyllwild area was checking conditions on the nearby Pacific Crest Trail and spotted Sturkie’s truck buried to its door handles in snow. It was located three miles away from its former location near the campground and appeared to have skidded backward off the trail where it became lodged between boulders.

[SBM]

John did have a life insurance policy, Theresa said, but a claim can’t be filed unless his body is recovered.

[SBM]

Last weekend, Tarr said she and Theresa found evidence that he filled a backpack with supplies to hike out. They also found one of his personal items about 100 feet in front of the truck, which could indicate his direction of travel, as well as more items on a nearby lookout ridge, where he may have walked to get his bearings.

[SBM]

Search and rescue statistics show that when a person becomes lost, 75 percent of them are found within 2.7 miles of where they started, so Tarr is hopeful that if volunteers can comb a 3-mile radius of the truck in the new search area, they will find Sturkie’s body.

[SBM]” (BBM)

When the men offered to alert a ranger to his whereabouts on their way out of the park, he told them he didn’t want anyone to know where he was, Tarr said.

Why didn't John want anyone to know his location. I can somewhat understand John refusing help but not revealing his location to others is odd. Was John planning to leave his life behind or worse was this a self harm situation. I hope the search for John on June 1 reveals some answers.

Why didn't John want anyone to know his location. I can somewhat understand John refusing help but not revealing his location to others is odd. Was John planning to leave his life behind or worse was this a self harm situation. I hope the search for John on June 1 reveals some answers.

Self harm has been in the back of my mind since first hearing about his refusal to leave his truck. I wondered if he had a favorite spot he was trying to reach, and ultimately tried to hike to it.

I feel badly for his wife. I'm not sure how she reconciles the fact that he refused to leave with the three guys and didn't want them to call for help.

She believes he died in an accident or from exposure in the winter cold, trying to get home.

“His family was super important to him,” she said. “There is no way he would have left. He would have done everything he could to get back to us.”

Oceanside woman hopes mountain search will solve mystery of husband's disappearance

They helped Sturkie get his truck unstuck and the four men caravanned three miles further on the rough trail to a lower elevation, where they stopped to shoot skeet and took a group photo. When they hit the trail’s end, they turned around to head back up the hill, but Sturkie’s tires couldn’t get traction and it got stuck four more times, Tarr said.

RSBM.

I wonder if John had his own gun with him. I've read that one of his hobbies was hunting.

Self harm has been in the back of my mind since first hearing about his refusal to leave his truck. I wondered if he had a favorite spot he was trying to reach, and ultimately tried to hike to it. I feel badly for his wife. I'm not sure how she reconciles the fact that he refused to leave with the three guys and didn't want them to call for help.

She believes he died in an accident or from exposure in the winter cold, trying to get home.

“His family was super important to him,” she said. “There is no way he would have left. He would have done everything he could to get back to us.”

It's a tragedy regardless of how he died, but I find myself almost hoping it was by suicide. If so, then there was really no chance those men who found him, were going to get him to change his mind and come back with them. The only other alternative is that he had every intention of surviving and returning home, but made a bad decision, which makes it even more tragic IMO.

If all the facts are as stated in this article, then any blame lies with John himself. Whether his death was Intentional or Unintentional, no foul play was involved. If intentional, not that suicidal people think of these things, but I wonder if he realized that had he wanted Life Insurance to pay out to his wife, that a body was necessary. Obviously if suicide was his aim, he chose a remote and potentially inaccessible location.

I didn't know they found a piece of John's clothing during the first search.

Theresa and family organized a search on Saturday, May 18. While they did not find Sturkie, the effort uncovered some positive evidence, she said.

“We found an article of clothing definitely his,” Theresa said. “It appears as though it was washed downhill.”

This was found further up the trail near its edge and near the end of that day’s search. They plan to explore the hillside below the trail on June 1.

Search for John Sturkie resumes this Saturday • Idyllwild Town Crier

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexisboyd
Back