Found Deceased CA - John Wooner, 57, city manager, Bakersfield, 14 May 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This certainly sounds like JW's SUV. Rest in peace.

Multiples theories in the past weeks about what might have happened. I didn't think an accident resulting in the disappearance of his SUV was likely since I thought Bakersfield was flat farmland. Lazy on my part since Bakersfield is at the base of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Attached is an image along Kern Canyon Road in the approximate area where the SUV and body were found. Pretty rugged country and no guardrails along large stretches of the road next to the river.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 9.19.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 9.19.53 PM.png
    969.2 KB · Views: 57
I wonder why he was heading up the canyon which is the opposite direction from his home in McFarland that evening. What is at the opposite end of that canyon road that he could have been heading for.
Maybe he was going to meet with someone about that new job he was applying for?

Amateur opinion and speculation

Maybe he was going to meet with someone about that new job he was applying for?

If I understand the geography correctly, he was driving toward places like Lake Isabella, pop 3000, and Bodfish, pop 2000. (They said 3 miles east of the Kern River mouth, so I’m assuming he was going east on 178.) So, I don’t see how it could have been a formal job interview, and it seems rather remote for a ‘let’s meet at a restaurant and talk about it,’ meeting.

I’m wondering if he had any friend living in the area who was on ‘drop in and chat’ terms. Any hobbies or interests connected with any stores in the area. (I know I just said how remote it was, but sometimes interesting little stores can be tucked away in the mountains.) Any chance that he just liked to drive? I expanded the Google map, and my first reaction was—“I’d love to drive those roads!” People are different, so there may be no chance that he would have thought like that—just brainstorming.

If I understand the geography correctly, he was driving toward places like Lake Isabella, pop 3000, and Bodfish, pop 2000. (They said 3 miles east of the Kern River mouth, so I’m assuming he was going east on 178.) So, I don’t see how it could have been a formal job interview, and it seems rather remote for a ‘let’s meet at a restaurant and talk about it,’ meeting.

I’m wondering if he had any friend living in the area who was on ‘drop in and chat’ terms. Any hobbies or interests connected with any stores in the area. (I know I just said how remote it was, but sometimes interesting little stores can be tucked away in the mountains.) Any chance that he just liked to drive? I expanded the Google map, and my first reaction was—“I’d love to drive those roads!” People are different, so there may be no chance that he would have thought like that—just brainstorming.
Omg. I just realized Lisa Harvey and cat were pulled out of the Kern River too. For Lisa, it was above the Upper Rich at picnic area. Is this close to where this SUV was discovered?

From 23ABC

"The CHP's preliminary investigation of the crash has not determined the speed or direction of the vehicle when it left Highway 178. The agency said the driver made an unsafe turn and the vehicle left the roadway and went down the embankment and into the Kern River, where it became fully submerged."

How do they know he made an unsafe turn ?

From 23ABC

"The CHP's preliminary investigation of the crash has not determined the speed or direction of the vehicle when it left Highway 178. The agency said the driver made an unsafe turn and the vehicle left the roadway and went down the embankment and into the Kern River, where it became fully submerged."

I guess because he ended up in the river, but it seems a peculiar way to explain it.

From 23ABC

Because he ended up in the river!
Now as to *why*, that is up for investigation. Could have been hit, or hot something, or brakes failed. We don’t know yet.

Missing McFarland city manager's vehicle found submerged in Kern River

“The vehicle was found about a mile east of a power station at the beginning of the canyon.

Investigators have not determined a timeline for the incident, but CHP spokesperson Robert Rodriguez said the vehicle was spotted after the river’s water levels dropped, allowing a passerby to see it from the roadway.

Sand and rocks from the river were found inside the vehicle, indicating the current had pushed debris into the interior over a period of time.

The male was found in the back compartment and was not wearing a seat belt, Rodriguez said.”

BPD: Missing McFarland city manager's vehicle found submerged in Kern River

Many of us suspected self harm but it looks like this was purely an accident. We'll know more after the autopsy (maybe). Do most of you agree that this was accidental?

Right now, I think it was an accident, and that if it was suicide, we’ll probably never know.

My mind is a little boggled by his being in the back seat—but I’m assuming the impact of the crash, and the rushing river moved him? His seat belt wasn’t on—possibly pointing to self-harm, but I think more likely just because he didn’t like to wear it—maybe difficult to wear it, because of his weight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back