CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that we haven't really talked about the Sierra National Forest closures that just went into effect. Someone else posted about it. It seems significant.

Sierra National Forest issues Forest Order No. 05-15-51-21-18,
Merced River Recreation Site, Road and Trail Closure
CLOVIS, CA., August 28, 2021 - Sierra National Forest (SNF) issues Forest Order No. 05-15-51-21-18 Merced River Recreation Site, Road and Trail Closure. The purpose of Forest Order No. 05-15-51-21-18 is to provide for public safety due to unknown hazards found in and near the Savage Lundy Trail, within the Bass Lake Ranger District. Designated recreation sites, roads, and trails in proximity and/or leading to this location will be off limits to public. This Order will be effective from August 29, 2021, through September 26, 2021.

Links: Sierra National Forest - Alerts & Notices
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd948383.pdf
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd948384.pdf
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd948385.pdf
Could they be closing down because they are no solid answers to this family's tragic deaths?

They do say 'due to unknown hazards...' ----so it seems like a precautionary closure---which is the right decision, imo.

Unless they are also including the two miles going down.

I've thought they may have intended going down and back the Hite Cove OHV trail but something was wrong with it, Jon knew about SL so they thought it might be easier. HCOHV round trip would have made it a much shorter trip.

I'm going to post all THREE legs of the loop for clarification. This is what LE has indicated..not my opinion.
This the *Hites Cove* trail where LE says they started. They only took this trail to where it intersects the South Fork Merced
Hites Cove Trail, CA – Natural Atlas

This the Savage Lundy where bodies were found about HALF WAY BACK UP:
Savage\Lundy Trail, CA – Natural Atlas

This is the South Fork Merced that they took (My take based on LE start point and where bodies found) from the Hites Cove Trail intersection to The Savage Lundy. Helps to zoom in on this map.
South Fork Merced Trail, CA – Natural Atlas

I'm going to post all THREE legs of the loop for clarification. This is what LE has indicated..not my opinion.
This the *Hites Cove* trail where LE says they started. They only took this trail to where it intersects the South Fork Merced
Hites Cove Trail, CA – Natural Atlas

This the Savage Lundy where bodies were found about HALF WAY BACK UP:
Savage\Lundy Trail, CA – Natural Atlas

This is the South Fork Merced where that they took from the Hites Cove Trail intersection to The Savage Lundy. Helps to zoom in on this map.
South Fork Merced Trail, CA – Natural Atlas

There was a discussion of this a few pages back. According to NA, the full loop would be 6.7 miles.

There was a discussion of this a few pages back. According to NA, the full loop would be 6.7 miles.

For frame of reference, in Las Vegas, I walked about 2 city blocks with a child, at 0800, in July. By 0900, the temp was well over 100, and it was pretty obvious that the child I was with was well into "heat stroke" by the time we got back. Less than an hour, less than four blocks.

I wonder if children are affected more quickly?

And, when we left, it honestly did not seem that hot. Cooler morning, drive to area, get out of car, (with AC), start walking...2, 3 miles in...maybe they noticed it, but kept going...I can totally see that. It would be miles 5 and 6 that would be the problem.

Or they told no one where they were going that day and chose such a less travelled spot for a specific reason. It seems inescapably odd that they chose to hike where they did when there are so many better travelled and more frequently travelled routes they would have been aware of nearby.

I can’t shake this same feeling.

Yes I posted the maps earlier and indicated 6.7 Mi total according to the map. I wanted to repost them in light of what LE has stated. They stated 8.5Mi with the last leg up the steep slope 5Mi. The chronicle posted a story and map with the same total as 8.5 Mi, but at that time I only thought it was their interpretation. As I posted earlier.....I'm puzzled by the 5 Mi steep trail, when the map indicated 2.8Mi for Savage Lundy section.

For frame of reference, in Las Vegas, I walked about 2 city blocks with a child, at 0800, in July. By 0900, the temp was well over 100, and it was pretty obvious that the child I was with was well into "heat stroke" by the time we got back. Less than an hour, less than four blocks.

I wonder if children are affected more quickly?

And, when we left, it honestly did not seem that hot. Cooler morning, drive to area, get out of car, (with AC), start walking...2, 3 miles in...maybe they noticed it, but kept going...I can totally see that. It would be miles 5 and 6 that would be the problem.

Wow…and with the French couple in White Sands, yes they were in their 40s and 50s, but they only made it one mile before they became delirious and collapsed and died, not too far apart. Their son survived because they’d been giving him their water (and had only brought 40 oz total).

....I'm puzzled by the 5 Mi steep trail, when the map indicated 2.8Mi for Savage Lundy section.

Steep works both ways, up and down (most hiking injuries from falls downhill). Both trails down and back to the South Fork total 5 miles, with the shady oasis of the river portion about 2 miles. (In addition to steep, both routes very exposed, which I believe LE emphasizes in conjunction with ‘steep’. Then there’s the matter of hiking from TH-TH to close the loop).

Last edited:
RSBM:

There has been a great deal of discussion about the exceptional vulnerability of the baby and the dog, and some discussion of EC's health history of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and another, unspecified condition that seems to have led her to withdraw from the corporate job market. These are all important factors, as is, obviously, the gruelling heat and lack of shelter from it on the trail network.

What I have not seen mentioned is any reference to JG's fitness and health. Perhaps there is nothing remarkable to note in his known/available health history. However, the fact that he was a 45-year-old man – essentially middle-aged, and a full 15 years older than his spouse and hiking companion – may also be a factor worth considering. At this age men frequently, yet unexpectedly (to themselves), find themselves at much higher risk for cardiac events and other abruptly occurring, potentially critical physical incidents.

JG's body already would have been under considerable strain from that sort of hike in those weather/air quality conditions, regardless of the weight of carrying a baby in a backpack/carrier, or possibly carrying an injured or ill dog, or even the emotional/mental stress of encountering an unexpected condition on the trail that made the interesting "day hike" he'd planned for his family far riskier than he ever imagined. If he had any sort of major health-impairing event on that trail, again in those hiking conditions, I find it doubtful that the sole remaining functioning adult, with or without her own health conditions possibly factoring into her own physical capabilities on that day, stood much chance of saving herself plus a baby and a large-ish dog. Especially if she'd also expended considerable energy on trying to save, or at least stabilize, him.

I don't know if a major health event such as a heart attack would show up in an autopsy after (possibly) up to 48 hours of decomp in high heat and arid conditions. This entire train of thought is speculative, but it's been running through my mind ever since I learned JG's age – especially as I know several "outdoorsy" men who have endured unanticipated cardiac incidents in their late 20s-early 30s.

Regardless of what happened to destroy this family, and whether it could have been avoided or not, there's a heartbreaking scenario involved. It makes me look back on my own family's summer vacations and "day hikes" in the high desert of UT/AZ, and also our impromptu driving tours of sections of CA and NV desert, and feel grateful that we came out with good times and lifelong memories as we anticipated, not regrets (or worse) due to tragic failures of supplies, equipment, or our own fragile (whether we admit it or not) bodies.
You know, this scenario fits better for me than any of the others at this point and makes complete sense. We just recently had a case on here of a missing jogger who had gone for a run at a resort. He was in his 50s I think, but very fit and a long time runner training, I believe, for a marathon. His body wasn’t found for days but it appeared he had some kind of medical event.

(August 21) An initial autopsy has revealed few clues in the mystery of what happened to a California family found dead on a hiking trail in the Sierra National Forest south of Yosemite.

The Mariposa County Coroner's Office was only able to rule out acute trauma, such as stabbing, gunshot wounds or blunt-force trauma.

More questions than answers after autopsy of family found dead

Last edited:
I know there’s been speculation about what route the family took, but given that LE has released very limited information very carefully, I don’t see any reason to doubt their conclusion here (that they were at the end of an 8.5M loop). The trail was not well-traveled and they noted that footprints consistent with two adults and the dog were found.

It’s baffling that anyone would attempt that with a dog and baby, but it wouldn’t be the first baffling detail about this case. I’m particularly stuck on Ellen not bringing a phone.

If toxic algae was involved, they should release that info ASAP as it’s a matter of public health. I don’t think that’s the COD.

They closed several trails and campgrounds along the river in this area effective yesterday/August 29th. Maybe as an extra precaution and/or to keep the area clear?! But timing after park officials collected water is interesting.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sierra/alerts-notices
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sierra/alerts-notices
  • Critical 05-15-51-21-18 SNF Merced River Recreation Site, Road and Trail Closure Order

Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a) and (b), and to provide for public safety,the following acts are prohibited within the Sierra National Forest. This Order is effective fromAugust 29, 2021, through September 26, 2021.

To view the full order please click here: Forest Order 05-15-51-21-18 Order

To View the list of affected areas in the order please click here: Forest Order 05-15-21-18 Exhibit A

To View the map of affected areas in the order please click here: Forest Order 05-15-21-18 Exhibit B

Steep works both ways, up and down. Both trails down and back to the South Fork total 5 miles, with the shady oasis of the river portion about 2 miles. (In addition to steep, both routes very exposed, which I believe LE emphasized earlier. Then there’s the matter of hiking from TH-TH to close the loop).

Ok thanks ....that makes sense now. Do we know if the trail along the river is still shaded (drought and/or fires)?

Officials reportedly had to hike five miles into the Hite Cove to locate the dead family in an extremely remote area.

John Gerrish and Ellen Chung were last seen on Sunday when they reportedly posted a picture of their backpack [to social media] from the ill-fated hiking trip.

What happened to John Gerrish and Ellen Chung? California family mysteriously found dead near remote hiking trail

Interesting pictures of the family, especially the little girl, Miju. She would have turned one year old on August 20, 2021. She looks very small in the picture, almost like a preemie. I wonder if she was medically fragile? Preemies usually are for quite awhile.

Interesting pictures of the family, especially the little girl, Miju. She would have turned one year old on August 20, 2021. She looks very small in the picture, almost like a preemie. I wonder if she was medically fragile? Preemies usually are for quite awhile.
She does look quite small to me (look at his hand in relation to her body, and no mention of birth weight) but my background is as a paramedic and we don’t often evaluate babies … hopefully there’s an RN or MD on the thread.

Last edited:
Very good find! Abundance of caution or an early reveal of tox report/dog necropsy?
Agree! I think this may indicate some early information from the toxicology reports. Perhaps they fear there is some rogue toxin on the trail due to nefarious activity in the area, such as moving heroin laced with fentanyl. What if the family happened to stumble on a section of trail where there was trace fentanyl, enough to kill them all?

So let me throw something on the speculative pile totally out of the wild.

The couple had a history of going to Burning Man. This year and last it was cancelled because of COVID. However, there's a virtual version that’s still going on now. It goes until Sep 5. Guess when it began? Aug 21, the very weekend JG and EC decided to go on their overly long hike in searing heat.
Many of us are having trouble with the whys and wherefores here.
Imagine, if you will, that they planned this outing in the spirit of the Burning Man experience. In other words they were doing a Virtual Burning Man activity. Maybe they’d even write it up on social media, just like the old days. Good memories, and all that.
It just so happened that they were encumbered by an infant, but perhaps they hadn’t integrated that reality or anticipated the implications.
So, in the interest of virtual and similitude, then the heat and dry air would be exactly the plan. Maybe the water volume even came from the BM playbook? Maybe they thought a nice strenuous hike in those conditions would approximate a sweaty dance in the desert, no matter that desert spot couldn’t possibly be any flatter?

If the couple really attempted the whole loop, I will lose faith in their experience level. I am beginning to think they had very little of that without guides, let alone under hazardous conditions. Are there even a lot of photos of them hiking?

I have no idea how to navigate—or get enthusiastic about—Burning Man’s front page. Count me VERY confused by the presentation, but here’s the link: Virtual Burn | Burning Man

Last edited:
Agree! I think this may indicate some early information from the toxicology reports. Perhaps they fear there is some rogue toxin on the trail due to nefarious activity in the area, such as moving heroin laced with fentanyl. What if the family happened to stumble on a section of trail where there was trace fentanyl, enough to kill them all?
Death by touching fentanyl is not supported. Can you die from just touching fentanyl? Doctors say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CPomerleau