CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manifestations of Lightning Deaths and Injuries - National Lightning Safety Institute

And a quote from the above link:
)I don’t see how this could have been missed in autopsy. Heat might not be the answer, but lightning is definitely not, in my opinion.)

1. Some Manifestations in the Human Body. According to Shockley (6.5) lightning damage runs a wide range from burns to multi-organ disruption.Therefore it is convenient to discuss manifestations system by system:
    • Skin Effects. Burns are described as linear, punctuate, full-thickness burns, feathering or flowering (Lichtenberg figures), thermal burns from ignited clothing or heated metal, or combinations (6.2). Animals should be shaved to investigate keraunographic markings. Wetli (6.6) also describes epidermis separating from the papillary dermis, nuclear streaming (palisading) and in volar skin the keratin often containing vacuoles. Clothing melting into the skin has been noted. Hair burning and skin lacerations also are characteristic of lightning. Steam burns secondary to lightning are caused by vaporization of sweat or rainwater on the victim's skin, according to Cooper et al (6.2). Geddes (6.10) describes lightning victims giving off a particular odor like burning sulphur or ozone or nitrous fumes or dilute sulphuric acid or ammonia. He cites earlier reports (Jex-Blake, 1913) of lightning having amputated legs, arms and fingers.
    • Vascular Effects. Shockley (6.5) reported electrical injuries to blood vessels causing disruption of the endothelium as well as disintegration of the media producing considerable hemorrhage or thrombosis. Hematologic abnormalities indicated by Cooper et al (6.2) include disseminated intravascular coagulation, transiently positive Coombs' test, and DiGuglielmo's syndrome, a type of erythroleukemia characterized by erythroblastosis, thrombocytopenia, and hepatosplenomegaly. Close analysis of causation by lightning or by high voltage electricity is suggested here.
    • Musculoskeletal Effects. Mechanical blunt force injury may be the result of falls or of spontaneous nerve excitation. One unusual eye-witnesss case is that of a lightning-induced muscle spasms ejecting a young adult male fifteen feet off a chair into a brick wall, with a broken back and a broken collar bone resulting (6.9). Muscle cells exposed to extreme heat create pores in the cell membrances in a process called electroporation: cell rupture and myonecrosis may result from either (6.5). Brumback (6.13) writes that lightning's electricity often is associated with rhabdomyolysis, evident from massively elevated serum creatine (CK) levels. Wetli (6.6) notes that while lightning tends to travel along outer surfaces (skin effect), observed cases of morphologically evident cardiovascular damage (pericardial and aortic tears and myocardial contusion) indicate this is not always the case.
    • Cardiac Effects. Aortic evidence include tearing of a portion of the media and extravasated blood in the aortic adventitia. Further evidence is seen in torn posterior pericardium, subepicardial blood distribution over the distal third of the anterior descending branch of the left coronary artery, broad transmural hemorrhagic areas noted in the left ventrical myocardium, subepicardial blood in the apex , massive suffision of blood in the interventricluar septum as well as the anterior and posterior left ventriclar free wall, and myocardial contusions confirmed microscopically (6.6). Shockley (6.5) describes how deaths from electrical accidents usually are due to cardiac arrhythmias. They occur when current travels across the thorax. He notes AC current usually is associated with ventricular fibrillation and DC current with asystole. In some cases arrhythmias are delayed for up to 12 hours however.
    • Neurologic Effects. Cherington et al (6.1) lists useful tables of neurologic complications as well as an extensive literature review of lightning neurologic sequelae. The reader is directed to this citation for a most comprehensive discussion of CNS complications to lightning victims. Neuropathologic findings include focal petechial hemorrhages and chromatolysis of pyramidial cells, Purkinje's cells of the cerebellum, and anterior horn cells. Often seen is as a leading indicator is localized ballooning of myelin sheaths. MRI and CT Scans provide investigators with conclusive results here. Lesions of the brain should be investigated, especially processes involving cerebral infarction, hypoxic encephalopathy due to cardiac arrest, basal ganglial degeneration and intracranial hematomas. Less often seen are myelopathies and cerebellar lesions.
    • Pulmonary Effects. In domestic animals lightning evidence may be found in cellular damage to the respiratory and cardiac centers in the fourth ventrical as well as with damage to the anterior surface of the brainstem (6.2).
    • Renal Effects. In 5%-22% of cases observed, Shockley (6.5) reports electrical injury to kidneys. This is due to massive tissue destruction as a result of related rhabdomyolysis and myoglobinuria. Hyperkalemia, hypocalcemia, hyperglycemia, and acidosis are associated with renal injury.
    • Abdominal and GI Effects. Shockley (6.5) reports the potential for such problems as hemorrhagicnecrosis of the intestines and gallbladder, liver failure, gastrointestinal hemorrhage from stomach and duodenal ulcers, curling ulcers, acute appendicitis, pancreatitis, small bowel perforation, slenic injuries, and mesenteric abdominal trauma. He suggests always looking for occult abdominal trauma since electrical injuries/deaths often are followed by falls.
    • Eye Effect. Cooper et al (6.2) propose that 55% of lightning victims suffer ocular effects due to thermal or electrical damage, intense heat, contusion from the thunder shock wave or combinations of these factors. Cataracts typically develop within a few days, although cases have been seen where they occurred as late as two years afterwards. Cataracts may be the typical anterior midperipheral type, posterior subcapsular opacities and vacuolization seem to occur more often with lightning victims. Corneal lesions, hyphema, uveitis, iridocyclitis, and vitreos hemorrhage also have been observed. Diplopia, loss of accommodation, and decreased color sense also have been reported.
    • Ear Effects. High pressure shock waves from thunder, measuring up to ten atmospheres (6.7), may crate blast effects leading to ruptured tympanic membranes. Tympanic abnormalities should be a standard investigation criterion. Wetli (6.6) reported 81% of investigated cases showed causation here and recommends ontological inspection with temporal bone dissection. Cooper et al (6.2) discuss sensorineural hearing loss from the intense noise and shock wave accompanying thunder, with 30% - 50% of cases reporting otologic damage. CSF otorrhea or hemotympanum, and disruption of the ossicles and mastoid have been reported. Nystagmus, vertigo, tinnitus, and ataxia may follow otologic damage. The reader is directed to Ogren (6.12) for a comprehensive presentation of neuro-otologic findings.
    • Other Effects. Cooper (6.8) noted that two thirds of lightning survivors had some degree of lower extremity paralysis. Often they appeared cold, clammy, mottled, insensate, and pulseless. Atrophic spinal paralysis was reported. Also cataloged were paresis, paresthesias, incoordination, delayed and acute cerebellar ataxia, hemiplagia and aphasia. Wetli (6.6) suggests investigation of the brain for injuries beneath direct lightning strikes with attention to white matter tears and location of hemorrhagic foci. Readers are directed to Kleinschmidt-DeMasters (6.14) for a Table of Neuropathologic Findings of seventeen lightning-related autopsies.
These all read like what might be found on victims of “direct strike” lightning. That’s not what’s being posited here. The visible evidence left on victims when lightning hits the ground near them and travels through ground current is very different and sometimes non-existent, based on sources previously posted here. It can just cause their hearts to instantly stop. MOO

Last edited:
My apologies is this has been mentioned, but Mariposa County has a history of illegal marijuana grows. The illegal growers are known to use toxic and often deadly chemicals to ward off animals (and perhaps people?). I do wonder if this family stumbled upon a grow and deadly pesticides. Word now of an 'unknown hazard' off the trail where they were found has me really focused on this. I'm still of the mindset that this was poisoning, intentional or not. MOO.

'Unknown hazards' found on Sierra National Forest trail near where Calif. family was found dead

“Some of the [pesticide] is so concentrated animals die in a matter of minutes, if not seconds,” said Forest Service researcher Craig Thompson
."

Link:

Cleaning Up Illegal Marijuana Grow Sites

Men identified in illegal marijuana grow shooting in Mariposa County

"I don’t have direct knowledge of, but have heard of, recent property sales where the new owner’s intention is to illegally cultivate marijuana. The potential problems with contaminated runoff....
."

Link:

Marijuana Cultivation in Mariposa County

I'm bringing this forward. @RedHaus has been digging deeper and adding far more detailed information. It's certainly worth entertaining all options.

MOO.

“Is toxicology results back?"
Sheriff Briese: “For the individuals, some are, yes, but we still do not have an exact cause of death yet.

Is anyone else confused by this response?

Just from my own experience waiting for toxicology results on a suspicious death, some results came in faster than others.

When some came back, the pathologist ordered others based on the preliminary findings. Some results were positive, but they weren’t the cause of death. (Therapeutic-level of a prescription sedative, but no bottle or prescription were found.)

So we were told early on that my deceased friend had been sedated prior to death, but mildly. It didn’t cause her death, but may have been a contributing factor.

When the full autopsy and coroner’s report were completed that drug made sense in the context of what happened.

Last edited:
We don’t know that they weren’t doing the exact same thing I did as a child in Cloverdale: spending the hottest part of the day cooling off in the river and the shade alongside it. One-third of their route was literally walking along the South Fork Merced, with multiple access points as they went.

Except the Merced River had toxic algae and was full of dead fish.

I think this theory, or some kind of pesticide/grow-op complication, has an outside chance. I read something in the early days of this tragedy from a hazmat expert (not related to the case) about how an area recently sprayed with pesticides is generally considered hazmat for the purposes of a crime scene cleanup.

Given that Savage-Lundy is more popular for hikers than the Hite Cove OHV Trail/full loop (basing this on AllTrails), I would say they would have had a greater chance of encountering someone or something if they had gone down the OHV trail first. This is only my speculation, but it seems to me that a grow op would be set up somewhere that its owners could easily access by ATV or similar. I can't see growers hiking up and down Savage-Lundy to access their op.

<modsnip>

I have a friend who was a census worker in N CA and wrote about some of her experiences visiting what were pretty obviously grow operations. The basic safety advice was to follow the main roads and driveways, be obvious, and present the reason why they were there. In general it seemed like these people monitored their operations pretty closely and she would usually be met not long after getting onto the property.
I’m not an expert on heatstroke (HS), but with hypothermia there is a paradoxical urge to remove clothing. People have been found naked in Siberia having froze to death. In hyperthermia, I’ve read some very sad reports about how children react when locked in hot cars, which can include tearing their own hair out. That there were no marks on Miju doesn’t rule on HS, though.

Vomiting depends on the poison and factors like how fast-acting it is. It can be hard to find, but if they had nothing in their stomachs that could be a clue.

I dont know where my experience falls in the spectrum of heat injury... certainly not heat stroke since I lived with no medical intervention. I did start to black out and lose sensation in my extremities, though it somewhat returned when I started walking. I recovered by going to a shaded area and getting misted by water. This was very low humidity with temps around 115 and I was being a stupid teenager. I didn't experience any confusion.

I do wonder if I was starting to get increased temperatures in my head (I wasn't wearing a hat) but by starting to walk, I increased my circulation enough to abate that effect long enough to get to the shade and water misting and lower my overall temperature before it started getting out of control. At the end of the day, I was fine other than a headache.

Ok, so the Mariposa Sheriff's Office does a monthly Facebook Live video update, "Inside the Office with Sheriff Jeremy Briese."
This is the latest update, from September 2. Link: Log In or Sign Up to View (I think you have to be logged into FB to see it). The update is about 30 minutes long.
  • 12:30-14:50 Sheriff Briese talks about the Gerrish / Chung case
    • He says the detectives are working around the clock with multiple other agencies.
    • He says that the FBI is helping as well.
  • 13:50 or so he says a water sample came back positive with "high levels" of Anatoxin-a. (Anatoxin-a - Wikipedia) They are working with state and Federal partners.
  • 18:15 - Q&A begins - several relevant questions
  • 18:26 - Question: "Is toxicology results back?" He says some individual toxicology results are in, but they still do not have an exact cause of death yet.
  • 22:45 - Question "Have there been any reports of livestock succumbing due to the Harmful Algae Bloom?" They have not.

Great find @EndoraXplorer! Did a bit of research on Anatoxin-A aka Very Fast Death Factor (VFDF):

Some info on Anatoxin-a aka Very Fast Death Factor (VFDF):

What is it?

Anatoxin-a is a neurotoxin produced by certain species of cyanobacteria (formerly referred to as blue-green algae). Cyanobacteria are sometimes found in surface water when conditions favor growth and formation of algal blooms.

How are people exposed?

· ingesting fish or shellfish from waters containing anatoxin-a;

· having direct skin contact with water containing anatoxin-a through bathing, showering, swimming or wading;

· breathing airborne anatoxin-a while boating, waterskiing or recreating in waters with anatoxin-a present; or

· consuming drinking water containing anatoxin-a.

Drinking water treatment generally removes intact cyanobacterial cells and low levels of cyanotoxins from source waters, but during a severe algal bloom, some anatoxin-a may escape treatment.

Is Anatoxin-a in drinking water a health concern?

Information on the effects of anatoxin-a on humans is limited. However, drinking water with high levels of anatoxin-a has been found to damage the nervous system. Symptoms include muscle twitching, loss of coordination and seizures. Laboratory testing on animals show that ingesting high levels of anatoxin-a can cause death from respiratory paralysis.

Source: Anatoxin-a (drinktap.org)

Where did you read that it was full of dead fish?

Dead fish is one of the most common signs of an algae bloom, see link. If you have not been around an algae bloom, there is typically a bad smell, which is partly due to the dead fish which die from the toxins. The water does not appear to be and smell like healthy clean water, there is discoloration, sometimes a scum, dead fish, etc.
Algae tested after CA family mysteriously died near Yosemite | The Fresno Bee

More photos here My Water Quality: California Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)

Dead fish is one of the most common signs of an algae bloom, see link. If you have not been around an algae bloom, there is typically a bad smell, which is partly due to the dead fish which die from the toxins. The water does not appear to be and smell like healthy clean water, there is discoloration, sometimes a scum, dead fish, etc.

But there was no reports of dead fish in this area. I was recently in that area, in the river, and I saw not a single dead fish anywhere.

Her IG is set to private now, but now I remember a post where she mentioned having to rest a lot while hiking uphill in the "blazing hot sun." But I don't see that as pointing to a close call or trouble with heat--taking breaks to rest is just standard MO for hiking uphill in the sun (actually could be argued that for most people it's standard for hiking uphill). Have done it plenty of times myself.
Interesting that it’s now set to private. I don’t know the law on that; I suppose her next of kin would have authority to make decisions about her social media disposition even though she’s an adult.

MOO - A fish kill, which I think is what you’re referring to, is a completely different occurrence. It’s caused by plant-like algae (not blue-green algae) using up all the dissolved oxygen in the water, thereby suffocating all the local fish. That’s not what causes an algae warning for dogs and humans. And I haven’t seen any documents indicating a fish kill in the South Fork Merced, or any water tests indicating toxic algae upstream from Hites Cove.

But there was no reports of dead fish in this area. I was recently in that area, in the river, and I saw not a single dead fish anywhere.
Is the river deep enough to have a large population of fish?

Interesting that it’s now set to private. I don’t know the law on that; I suppose her next of kin would have authority to make decisions about her social media disposition even though she’s an adult.

I was wondering about this too. I don't think there's a particular law about it, as I know that other Instagrams of people who have passed are still set to public (Example: Login • Instagram). On Facebook, a deceased person's account can be memorialized or removed at the request of next of kin (How do I report a deceased person or an account on Facebook that needs to be memorialized? | Facebook Help Center).

Maybe it has something with the FBI subpoenas of their social media accounts, or maybe it's too painful for the family to see people making comments. :( MOO.

If their plan was to start somewhat early in the morning, (8:00 am, maybe,) hike down to the river, spend the day frolicking in the river, and hike back after it got cool, (and how late in the day would that have been?), how much water would they need to have taken? How many diapers for the baby?

Her IG is set to private now, but now I remember a post where she mentioned having to rest a lot while hiking uphill in the "blazing hot sun." But I don't see that as pointing to a close call or trouble with heat--taking breaks to rest is just standard MO for hiking uphill in the sun (actually could be argued that for most people it's standard for hiking uphill). Have done it plenty of times myself.
Right. I've had to rest frequently when hiking up a steep hill in a shady forest. I can walk for hours tirelessly on fairly flat terrain.

I thought maybe her relatives or close friends were able to access her account through an open computer she left at home or perhaps one of them knew her password, so they were able to make it set to private.

Just a note of gratitude to all of you for your open-mindedness and willingness to explore your theories and share your expertise. It is one of the positives I get from this site. I now know much more about algae blooms, dogs, heat illnesses, lightning, and marijuana grow sites than I would ever have guessed I would know! I am generally a lurker here and rarely post, but as with many of you, I find the situation with this family so very sad and somehow close to home, even though I am miles away. Keep sleuthing!

If their plan was to start somewhat early in the morning, (8:00 am, maybe,) hike down to the river, spend the day frolicking in the river, and hike back after it got cool, (and how late in the day would that have been?), how much water would they need to have taken? How many diapers for the baby?

I think another important question would be were they planning on allowing their dog to drink/cool off in the waterway with BG algae reports? Astronomical amounts of water to keep the dog hydrated & cooled if you were not assuming that risk for them. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patterson Vincent