CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting this. I had a heat stroke when I was 16. I grew up in the hot, humid south and I am proof that no matter how acclimated you may be, heat can and does kill.
By the time I realized that I needed to get out of the heat, it was too late. I could not move. I sat down , just like JG. There was a cold water shower ( It was at a beach) literally within my reach but I could not crawl, lift an arm, nothing. Never had I been so weak and helpless. I would have died had someone not noticed me and given me help. They packed me in ice while waiting for the EMT's. It took ES 15 minutes to get there. My temperature after being packed in ice for 15 minutes was 105F. I have no idea what it was before the ice.
There isn't one doubt in my mind that this is heat stroke and nothing else. Unless you have experienced it or have seen someone else stricken, you just can not imagine how quickly it kills. It incapacitates you before realize you are in danger. Your mind doesn't register things and you are drained of energy.
If no ice , cold water, air conditioning, or emergency services are immediately available, death will occur within 30 minutes.
It has been difficult for me to map the Savage Lundy Trail and look at the hot, desolate, dystopian terrain and imagine the hellish heat that day.
We will never know why they made the decision to hike that trail in the extreme heat with a baby and a dog.
I just hope they went quickly.
Just want to add that I am now extremely heat sensitive. I also have MS and most people with MS are heat sensitive as well. One thing I have felt for the last two years is that the sun, heat, they are different. Hotter, deadly now. The sun doesn't feel the same, it almost feels alien. It truly frightens me as I live in the hot, very humid south. I have a pathological fear of the heat now. Never do I want to experience the hell of my brain cooking inside my head again.

Just want to say please be careful out there when it is hot. Don't take the heat lightly. You do not ever want hike alone when the temp is high. You will be rendered helpless before you realize you are in trouble. Without someone to help you it may be fatal.

That is VERY unusual that she didn't have a phone. There must be only a tiny fraction of women her age that don't own a mobile/cell phone. If they were maybe only relying on one phone as opposed to two and that one phone was out of battery then that makes it even more tragic.
I think it was probably a matter of convenience. I see a couple traveling 10 minutes from home before 8 AM-- most likely leaving with a fully charged phone. They were also familiar with the SNF and had knowledge of poor cell reception.

Thank you for posting this. I had a heat stroke when I was 16. I grew up in the hot, humid south and I am proof that no matter how acclimated you may be, heat can and does kill.
By the time I realized that I needed to get out of the heat, it was too late. I could not move. I sat down , just like JG. There was a cold water shower ( It was at a beach) literally within my reach but I could not crawl, lift an arm, nothing. Never had I been so weak and helpless. I would have died had someone not noticed me and given me help. They packed me in ice while waiting for the EMT's. It took ES 15 minutes to get there. My temperature after being packed in ice for 15 minutes was 105F. I have no idea what it was before the ice.
There isn't one doubt in my mind that this is heat stroke and nothing else. Unless you have experienced it or have seen someone else stricken, you just can not imagine how quickly it kills. It incapacitates you before realize you are in danger. Your mind doesn't register things and you are drained of energy.
If no ice , cold water, air conditioning, or emergency services are immediately available, death will occur within 30 minutes.
It has been difficult for me to map the Savage Lundy Trail and look at the hot, desolate, dystopian terrain and imagine the hellish heat that day.
We will never know why they made the decision to hike that trail in the extreme heat with a baby and a dog.
I just hope they went quickly.
Just want to add that I am now extremely heat sensitive. I also have MS and most people with MS are heat sensitive as well. One thing I have felt for the last two years is that the sun, heat, they are different. Hotter, deadly now. The sun doesn't feel the same, it almost feels alien. It truly frightens me as I live in the hot, very humid south. I have a pathological fear of the heat now. Never do I want to experience the hell of my brain cooking inside my head again.
I had heatstroke this summer, & it’s exactly as you say. And I agree with you about heatstroke being probable, & also hard for people who’ve never had it to really comprehend (& I wouldn’t wish it on anyone). The best thing I can equate it to for someone who hasn't experienced it is that it’s probably something like being black out drunk. I’m literally afraid of the sun now.

That is VERY unusual that she didn't have a phone. There must be only a tiny fraction of women her age that don't own a mobile/cell phone. If they were maybe only relying on one phone as opposed to two and that one phone was out of battery then that makes it even more tragic.

This strikes me as odd too. Especially when there's a chance you could be separated. We even have different providers in case one person has better coverage than the other. With a young child, I'd think you'd want communication backup, but maybe because they lived so close to these trails, there was a feeling of safety.

I suspect that, if we are even able to learn the details of what happened to them, there won't be just one cause but rather a cascading failure of events.

Let's say they somehow initially skirted the issue of the heat being extreme, by hiking downhill in the mid-morning hours when it was hot but not yet extreme.

They make it to the river and cool off. Briefly? For hours? We don't know yet.

Do they realize the aggressiveness (steepness, even after the gentling effects of the switchbacks) of the S-L trail? We don't know. If they did, they could have gone back the way they came down, but that would have added the mileage of the river stretch they would have had to re-cover.

So they start back up, in the now-extreme heat. (no matter what time of day they left the river, unless it was in the 4-5am range, it would be very very hot and the exertion would make it very much hotter.

OK, so they are moving along as best they can in these extreme circumstances, and now the dog becomes ill or lethargic or even collapses. Maybe from the toxin, maybe from the heat/exertion, maybe a combination. We don't know.

The family of course does not abandon their ailing dog, but carrying him along with the baby and whatever other gear they had pushes the effort required beyond the doable zone -- maybe Jon is carrying both dog and baby, maybe not, we don't know. Maybe EC takes the baby in her arms for a while, or even tries the carrier if it fits her. Every time they make any change like this they slow or stop for a few minutes, adding to their heat exposure.

Ultimately comes a sequence of events we don't know the specifics of.

We don't know if EC was 100 feet ahead because she was trying to race to the truck while Jon tried to rest or was already making no sense, whether she was "wandering" in her throes of heat stroke, whether she was putting distance due to risk of lightning etc. She didn't take the baby with her, suggesting to me either that the baby was already obviously dead (but how would they know for sure? I think that is unlikely) or that Jon was still somewhat ok, so she was leaving the baby with him while she tried to go as fast as she could (I think this more likely).

We don't know why she only made it 100 feet farther. Was she then overcome with dizziness? Had she made it farther but then came back for some reason? I suspect we will never know that answer unless evidence is found of her farther ahead, or in notes left, etc.

If the adults stopped moving as they were overcome with heat stroke, the dog and the baby would have died soon afterwards even if they were ok at the time. (Which they probably were not given their susceptibility to heat was higher than the adults. But we just don't know.)

The cooling effect of the shade from the thunderstorm cell may not have helped them much. It may have made them feel a bit of relief, as 110* degrees dropped to perhaps 100* and maybe there was even a breeze as the cell moved overhead. But the thermal mass of the ground would not have cooled much from a brief few hours of localized shade. Air has hardly any mass, so the cooling effect of air would be minimal when the mass of the ground was still so hot.

I think it's completely possible heat alone could have caused the deaths, but anything else they encountered would only have exacerbated the risk from the heat.

MOO

We don't know that they didn't, via phone at least (ie attempted text messages or notes in a note app etc). LE has not released that kind of information yet.

But I do suspect that they thought they would make it up until the moment the heat took the ability to think clearly (as has been described earlier in the thread) at which point they couldn't really make those kinds of decisions.

MOO

Brava Auntie! This is very much in line with how I imagine things may have unfolded, except written out so much more eloquently & respectfully than I could have put it. Found myself nodding the whole time.

Does heatstroke cause pain? I know there's the confusion and the delirium, but does someone suffering from heatstroke pass out and then die after falling unconscious, I wonder?

Heatstroke can kill via several different mechanisms so kind of depends on how it kills you in terms of pain/suffering inflicted.
As an example, these are 2 patients (canine) that I lost this summer to heatstroke. Warning for possibly graphic/difficult content. One patient presented after being found in the yard unresponsive with a core temperature of 108 (normal in the dog is up to 102), we began active cooling & shock treatment. Once they are into the 103-4 range you STOP active cooling as you can initiate a very annoying & temporarily irreversible hypothermia (annoying in that it causes shivering.. or muscle fasciculations to increase core temp, the opposite of what you want). We got her into normothermic range & trended her down nicely but damaging process had already started. She experienced cardiac arrest & was resuscitated with CPR, a notable feat in vet med that I have to credit to my awesome team. However she remained intubated on room air as she never regained a swallow reflex & could therefore not protect her airways. After the one CPR event family changed status to DNR. We continued aggressive treatment until her organs began to fail & she was circling another arrest event, at that time family elected humane euthanasia. She never regained consciousness throughout the approximate 12hrs of treatment. It is hard for me to say she suffered, as she showed very little response to stimuli throughout this treatment.
The other patient I lost this summer to heatstroke was a short faced breed left for a short period of time in the back yard while family ran an errand, he was found unresponsive when they got home. They dunked him in the pool (he always used to cool himself off in there before, why didn’t he today?) which seemingly revived him and rushed him in. He was surprisingly normothermic on presentation, but the damage from the heat had already been done. He promptly broke with “shock gut” ie spewing hemorrhagic diarrhea shortly before progressing into acute respiratory distress syndrome ie lungs filling with inflammatory fluids. There was undoubtedly some degree of fear & panic prior to his family making the swift decision to ease his suffering.

The subpoena for the phone was granted on 8/24. It’s puzzling that they have not released any further info. Ellen, apparently, did not have a phone. Only Jonathan’s was found (front right pocket) and sent for analysis. I find that so odd. People take their phones everywhere!

Yes I always take my phone on my hikes, despite knowing I won’t have service.. because how else am I going to clog my phone’s memory with pictures of my dogs doing dog things in nature??
Having lost a beloved dog last spring, I cannot really express how much I value having documented all our adventures no matter how trivial. I would think with having a kiddo & a dog on a hike, you’d want to have a phone just for snapping pics, if not for potentially using as an emergency communication device. It’s really surprising to me sometimes when I’m somewhere seemingly remote & then a bunch of text alerts come in, so I always assume, hey it might work in a pinch?

I’ve looked up homicide cases using ethylene glycol, and the victims do not drop dead within just a few hours.

Example: Dr. George Blumenchein drank 2 cups of coffee laced with ethylene glycol and a few hours later, he started feeling sick, within 16 hours he was in an emergency room. He expressed some surprise to his colleague when she served it sweet as he was a black coffee drinker.

Also:
Below are the typical symptoms **when these are ingested alone**. When co-ingested with ethanol, onset of toxicity may be delayed.

ethylene glycol
  • Stage 1 (30 min-12 hours) – mimics ethanol intoxication
    • Gastric irritation (pain, nausea, vomiting)
    • Acting drunk (ataxia, nystagmus)
    • May see CNS depression, cerebral edema, seizure
  • Stage 2 (12-24 hours) = cardiopulmonary stage
    • Myocardial dysfunction, shock
    • Tachypnea, ARDS
  • Stage 3 (24-72 hours) = renal stage
    • Renal failure is the primary problem
  • Stage 4
    • Late neurologic sequelae can occur
Ethylene glycol & methanol poisoning

> A significant number of poisonings with ethylene glycol occur in California each year. In calendar year 2000, the CPCS consulted on 469 exposures to EG. These included 5 patients who later died and 38 who had either moderate or major effects attributed to EG. Minor effects were attributed to 62 exposures. Only 2 serious cases, and no deaths, occurred in persons under age 20. Diagnosis and Treatment of Ethylene Glycol (Antifreeze) Ingestion · California Poison Control System (CPCS)

This follows relatively the same course in dogs although the usually skip from step 1 to step 3. That being said, EG toxicity is really dropping off in vet med as many antifreeze manufacturers have changed the formulation to contain some other less sweet tasting/palatable -ol (forget what it is). Definitely out there is the world to acquire, but less natural exposure in dogs these days. It is a terrible toxicity to witness as stage 1 can be somewhat transient & vague - they might vomit, get a little stumbly & then seem ok, but no one really notices they’ve started drinking & peeing a ton…& then they stop peeing, & get real sick, & then come to the ER…& there’s very little you can do.

Thanks @NSamuelle. I first presume that EC did have a phone with her but perhaps in their pack. And LE mentioning only JG's phone being found may not mean she did not have hers with her somewhere. Perhaps even, in a state of delirium or frustration EC could have thrown it into the brush and dust.

All that said, IF, IMO, EC did not have her phone, where was it? In the truck, at the home they were staying? At a place they visited before starting their hike - like a coffee shop maybe or perhaps one of their rental properties? Or maybe she'd accidentally dropped it while taking a bio break off trail?

Anyhow, I ponder these scenarios and wonder what each might tell LE about the "why" or "how" or "when" of this tragic event. When her phone was last used for instance could be telling.

Does anyone know or remember which parent posted to IG or FB early that fateful morning (8/15) the empty baby pack that was briefly visible to the public? If it was from EC's phone or not could perhaps tell LE something.

Was that picture ever actually seen by anyone here? I figured it was a private picture to friends & we’ve just speculated from the mention of it in some MSM article.
I’m curious if someone that has seen it can describe it? (The backpack, not the post per se).

Both the phone & the backpack raise a couple questions for me re: lightning.
Would the phone (or any electronics in general) on a person struck by lightning malfunction in any major way or at least in a way that could indicate lightning strike occurring?
Would the backpack/baby carrier, if having a metal frame or stantions, have “attracted” lightning? Either from the ground or the sky?

RS&BBM

Thanks @woods. If Mods will allow us to explore poisons commonly used in murder cases, I'd like to add.

I will not discuss a "how" or "who" or "when" since this is just informative. But I do think the prolonged toxicology evaluation by LE provide cause for us to explore this angle further, IMO.

A. PBS episode explored 5 common poisons used in murder cases:
1. Arsenic
2. Atropine
3. Stychnine
4. Cyanide
5. Thallium
An interesting quick read:
Executed in Error ~ The Five Top Poisons | Secrets of the Dead | PBS

B. Poisons Used in Famous Cases:
1. Belladonna or Nightshade
(like atropine, above as #2).
2. Asp (snake) Venom
3. Poison Hemlock
4. Strychnine
5. Arsenic
6. Pollonium
Another quick read: 6 Poisons That Have Been Used for Murder

C. Common Homicidal Poisons - technical data with timeframes and possible ambiguous autopsy findings.
1. Ethylene Glycol
2. Arsenic
3. Botulinus Toxin
4. Cyanide
5. Sodium Fluoroacetate
(aka Compound 1080)
6. Strychnine
7. Thallium
A very technical but fascinating read:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bbm%3A978-1-59745-256-4%2F1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjXt4rx6PfyAhWuGFkFHRSuArgQFnoECC4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1Hpc76AECNWsEzhS1LLaSk&cshid=1631395128621

I have yet to digest all this to distill these lists into "possible" poisons in relation to this case but will try later. Anyone else is welcome to it...

The key criteria, IMO are water soluable, tasteless, fast-acting, and ambiguous findings on autopsy.

Well this list is scary. I also would consider a chemical that might not necessarily be fatal, but could incapacitate & then heat exposure would do the rest. I don’t want to go down the road of speculation too much, but something like that could be an entirely accidental poisoning.

Unless you have experienced it or have seen someone else stricken, you just can not imagine how quickly it kills. It incapacitates you before realize you are in danger. Your mind doesn't register things and you are drained of energy.

Thank you for sharing your terrifying experience, I am glad stranger angels recognized the signs & that you are here able to share it.
I don’t know how to bold quotes, so I deleted the rest because I thought this is the huge takeaway. There is some degree of complacency with heat & I think feeling that it can be tolerated because it has been previously. If you’ve seen it or felt it you will never forget it & will always be afraid of the heat. That fear doesn’t keep me from doing the things I love it hot temperatures, but it makes me take a lot of extra precautions & pay extra attention to the signs in my body & the signs I observe in my dogs. I ALWAYS err on the side of caution, rather than push to a point you can’t get back from. That 30 min window closes quick.
When I was a little, I wasn’t a great water drinker, & my mom always used to say “by the time you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated”. I think that can be applied to heat as well, the first inkling you might feel that the heat’s making you feel a little “funny”, heat exhaustion is starting & you best be getting out & away from it while you’ve still got your faculties about you.

I am not 100% married to any theory right now aside from Oski died from heatstroke +/- BG algae. I think heatstroke was a very real possibility for the 2 adults, given the exertional demands of the hike alone in addition to the possibility of watching their beloved dog fall ill rapidly & either trying to tend to him or just becoming more stressed/tired/confused at a time when rapid decisive action was needed (not a judgement by any means, just acknowledging that not everyone is calm & collected in crises) but there are still so many big questions that I wish could be answered. Regardless of any definitive COD (truthfully I somewhat anticipate not getting one as tragic as that would be for the family/friends) I do wish that more awareness would could out about heat injuries just as discussing this as a very real possibility for this family. I do think more & more heat injuries are going to occur in the coming summers… & I agree, can’t put my finger fully on it, it’s not based on any science or data, but it just felt different this last one.

MOO

Both the phone & the backpack raise a couple questions for me re: lightning. Would the phone (or any electronics in general) on a person struck by lightning malfunction in any major way or at least in a way that could indicate lightning strike occurring?
RS&BBM

Well @Runswithdogs, here is an answer to your question, FWIW. Keep in mind this may not apply to ground lightning.
... Since JG's phone was in his shirt pocket and is being analyzed by the FBI, per LE, I suspect it was not melted or burned. As such, this may derail the lightning strike theory a bit...

...there is a misconception that cell phones attract lightning, John Jensenius, lightning safety specialist for the National Weather Service, said. If someone is struck by lightning and they have a cell phone on them, it will usually melt or burn. People have taken that and blamed the cell phone, Jensenius said, but in reality it is unrelated.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...-your-cell-phone-during-a-thunderstorm/328975[/USER]

[COLOR=#000000]SBM[/COLOR]

I seem to recall early in the threads someone posted a photo of the gate at the top of the S-L trail. Or maybe it was in an article? If anyone has that at hand could you repost it please?

Where my mind is going is this: if there is a gate, perhaps Ellen's intention on going ahead (or trying to) without taking JG's phone, was she was intending to try to open the gate and drive the truck down the trail to where JG/baby/dog were?

I don't know if the trail is wide enough for that but even if she drove half-on, half-off, not anything you'd normally do but in an emergency...

Of course the gate would probably be locked, but we don't know whether she knew that or not.

Also of course, assuming the family set off down the HC trail (ie hiked the loop rather than down-and-back), they may not have even seen the gate (they parked farther up at the Y with the other trail IIRC).

On the other hand since they live nearby they may very well have seen the gate before in their explorations.

Just a thought about her possible intent. MOO

Last edited:
RS&BBM

Well @Runswithdogs, here is an answer to your question, FWIW. Keep in mind this may not apply to ground lightning.

[COLOR=#000000]SBM[/COLOR]

Oh very interesting, I missed that. I guess it would at least eliminate probability of non-ground lightning (standard lightning? sky lightning?) in JG.

Alright, I figured out MOO, IMO, JMO pretty quick... but what is RS&BBM & SBM? :confused:

Brava Auntie! This is very much in line with how I imagine things may have unfolded, except written out so much more eloquently & respectfully than I could have put it. Found myself nodding the whole time.

Heatstroke can kill via several different mechanisms so kind of depends on how it kills you in terms of pain/suffering inflicted.
As an example, these are 2 patients (canine) that I lost this summer to heatstroke. Warning for possibly graphic/difficult content. One patient presented after being found in the yard unresponsive with a core temperature of 108 (normal in the dog is up to 102), we began active cooling & shock treatment. Once they are into the 103-4 range you STOP active cooling as you can initiate a very annoying & temporarily irreversible hypothermia (annoying in that it causes shivering.. or muscle fasciculations to increase core temp, the opposite of what you want). We got her into normothermic range & trended her down nicely but damaging process had already started. She experienced cardiac arrest & was resuscitated with CPR, a notable feat in vet med that I have to credit to my awesome team. However she remained intubated on room air as she never regained a swallow reflex & could therefore not protect her airways. After the one CPR event family changed status to DNR. We continued aggressive treatment until her organs began to fail & she was circling another arrest event, at that time family elected humane euthanasia. She never regained consciousness throughout the approximate 12hrs of treatment. It is hard for me to say she suffered, as she showed very little response to stimuli throughout this treatment.
The other patient I lost this summer to heatstroke was a short faced breed left for a short period of time in the back yard while family ran an errand, he was found unresponsive when they got home. They dunked him in the pool (he always used to cool himself off in there before, why didn’t he today?) which seemingly revived him and rushed him in. He was surprisingly normothermic on presentation, but the damage from the heat had already been done. He promptly broke with “shock gut” ie spewing hemorrhagic diarrhea shortly before progressing into acute respiratory distress syndrome ie lungs filling with inflammatory fluids. There was undoubtedly some degree of fear & panic prior to his family making the swift decision to ease his suffering.

Yes I always take my phone on my hikes, despite knowing I won’t have service.. because how else am I going to clog my phone’s memory with pictures of my dogs doing dog things in nature??
Having lost a beloved dog last spring, I cannot really express how much I value having documented all our adventures no matter how trivial. I would think with having a kiddo & a dog on a hike, you’d want to have a phone just for snapping pics, if not for potentially using as an emergency communication device. It’s really surprising to me sometimes when I’m somewhere seemingly remote & then a bunch of text alerts come in, so I always assume, hey it might work in a pinch?

This follows relatively the same course in dogs although the usually skip from step 1 to step 3. That being said, EG toxicity is really dropping off in vet med as many antifreeze manufacturers have changed the formulation to contain some other less sweet tasting/palatable -ol (forget what it is). Definitely out there is the world to acquire, but less natural exposure in dogs these days. It is a terrible toxicity to witness as stage 1 can be somewhat transient & vague - they might vomit, get a little stumbly & then seem ok, but no one really notices they’ve started drinking & peeing a ton…& then they stop peeing, & get real sick, & then come to the ER…& there’s very little you can do.

Was that picture ever actually seen by anyone here? I figured it was a private picture to friends & we’ve just speculated from the mention of it in some MSM article.
I’m curious if someone that has seen it can describe it? (The backpack, not the post per se).

Both the phone & the backpack raise a couple questions for me re: lightning.
Would the phone (or any electronics in general) on a person struck by lightning malfunction in any major way or at least in a way that could indicate lightning strike occurring?
Would the backpack/baby carrier, if having a metal frame or stantions, have “attracted” lightning? Either from the ground or the sky?

Well this list is scary. I also would consider a chemical that might not necessarily be fatal, but could incapacitate & then heat exposure would do the rest. I don’t want to go down the road of speculation too much, but something like that could be an entirely accidental poisoning.

Thank you for sharing your terrifying experience, I am glad stranger angels recognized the signs & that you are here able to share it.
I don’t know how to bold quotes, so I deleted the rest because I thought this is the huge takeaway. There is some degree of complacency with heat & I think feeling that it can be tolerated because it has been previously. If you’ve seen it or felt it you will never forget it & will always be afraid of the heat. That fear doesn’t keep me from doing the things I love it hot temperatures, but it makes me take a lot of extra precautions & pay extra attention to the signs in my body & the signs I observe in my dogs. I ALWAYS err on the side of caution, rather than push to a point you can’t get back from. That 30 min window closes quick.
When I was a little, I wasn’t a great water drinker, & my mom always used to say “by the time you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated”. I think that can be applied to heat as well, the first inkling you might feel that the heat’s making you feel a little “funny”, heat exhaustion is starting & you best be getting out & away from it while you’ve still got your faculties about you.

I am not 100% married to any theory right now aside from Oski died from heatstroke +/- BG algae. I think heatstroke was a very real possibility for the 2 adults, given the exertional demands of the hike alone in addition to the possibility of watching their beloved dog fall ill rapidly & either trying to tend to him or just becoming more stressed/tired/confused at a time when rapid decisive action was needed (not a judgement by any means, just acknowledging that not everyone is calm & collected in crises) but there are still so many big questions that I wish could be answered. Regardless of any definitive COD (truthfully I somewhat anticipate not getting one as tragic as that would be for the family/friends) I do wish that more awareness would could out about heat injuries just as discussing this as a very real possibility for this family. I do think more & more heat injuries are going to occur in the coming summers… & I agree, can’t put my finger fully on it, it’s not based on any science or data, but it just felt different this last one.

MOO

Thank you for your invaluable insight from the perspective of a (I'm guessing) veterinarian.

I agree that we all need to be more mindful when it comes to the heat. It breaks my heart when I see people walking their black, longhaired dogs in the midday sun in areas of no shade!

People severely underestimate the power of the sun, and maybe that's exactly what happened with Jonathan and Ellen, with the possibility of other factors that also contributed to their deaths.

RSBM = Respectfully Snipped & Bolded By Me
and variations

Also here is a list of some WS acronyms: Websleuths Lingo

Thank you, Auntie (love the name by the way haha)

I'm fairly new to WS, and it took me forever to figure out what LE was - likely because I'm a Brit and we don't really use the term 'law enforcement' here - so I certainly appreciate the link to the Websleuth Lingo

Heat Stroke: Symptoms and Treatment

Drugs associated with increase risk of heat stroke

These include antihistamines, diet pills, diuretics, sedatives, tranquilizers, stimulants, seizure medications (anticonvulsants), heart and blood pressure medications such as beta-blockers and vasoconstrictors, and medications for psychiatric illnesses such as antidepressants and antipsychotics. Illegal drugs such as cocaine and methamphetamine also are associated with increased risk of heat stroke.

I've seen it mentioned in a few earlier comments on here that Ellen Chung was recovering from a TBI. I wonder if she was taking prescribed medication as part of her treatment/recovery, that would have made her more susceptible to the risks of heat stroke?

I don't know if any of the medications and drugs you listed would be the kind of things that may be prescribed for a TBI? Initially the seizure medications you mentioned stand out to me, but only because I'm making the tentative link of 'seizures - neurology - brain - TBI'.

Can anyone with better medical knowledge shed any light on if it would be feasible that EC was taking medication after a TBI, and subsequently, if that medication could have put her at an increased risk of heat stroke?

My instinct is telling me that she was possibly the last to succumb though, simply because she had made it further up the trail in the direction of help.

Jonathan was sitting with the baby and dog.. Maybe he said he couldn't go on and had to sit and rest, and she tried to continue further up hill to seek help? Had he exerted more energy being of bigger stature and possibly with the baby carrier on his back? Was he feeling the effects more than Ellen, and it was decided he would sit and rest because she stood a better chance of being able to get help?

I'm tying myself in knots with all the questions. It's such a mystery.

I've seen it mentioned in a few earlier comments on here that Ellen Chung was recovering from a TBI. I wonder if she was taking prescribed medication as part of her treatment/recovery, that would have made her more susceptible to the risks of heat stroke?

I don't know if any of the medications and drugs you listed would be the kind of things that may be prescribed for a TBI? Initially the seizure medications you mentioned stand out to me, but only because I'm making the tentative link of 'seizures - neurology - brain - TBI'

I'm not particularly looking at heat stroke in the same way as some here are, but I have considered any recent medications she may have been taking for the past TBI (head injury...twelve yrs ago?). Recovered from TBI ("recovered"--no one usually fully recovers; high tech brain imaging will almost always show at least subtle changes), the person can have permanent brain changes leading to increased anxiety, depression, migraines, etc.

I've also wondered about any medications he may have been taking.

Too, I always keep in mind the synergy of combined medications/chemicals: when synergy operates, one plus one no longer equals two but three or more.

Last edited:

I don't know if any of the medications and drugs you listed would be the kind of things that may be prescribed for a TBI? Initially the seizure medications you mentioned stand out to me, but only because I'm making the tentative link of 'seizures - neurology - brain - TBI'.

Can anyone with better medical knowledge shed any light on if it would be feasible that EC was taking medication after a TBI, and subsequently, if that medication could have put her at an increased risk of heat stroke?

My instinct is telling me that she was possibly the last to succumb though, simply because she had made it further up the trail in the direction of help.

Jonathan was sitting with the baby and dog.. Maybe he said he couldn't go on and had to sit and rest, and she tried to continue further up hill to seek help? Had he exerted more energy being of bigger stature and possibly with the baby carrier on his back? Was he feeling the effects more than Ellen, and it was decided he would sit and rest because she stood a better chance of being able to get help?

Medication prescribed after a TBI, if any, would be too variable to make an educated guess. Depending on the nature and location of the injury, people can have cognitive impairments like impaired memory, attention, or judgment; or emotional vulnerabilities like increased anxiety, propensity towards anger, emotionally lability, impulsivity, etc. Some conditions, like anxiety or insomnia, can be treated with meds like benzodiazepines (Ativan, Klonopin, the “pam” drugs). Other conditions are better treated through talk therapy like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) like learning to recognize the likely outcome of a decision before you make it to improve judgment and planning (“playing the tape forward”). We don’t know what Ellen was suffering with or what connection, if any, her “debilitating health condition” had on her TBI.

Seizures are a possible complication of a TBI but Ellen posted about drinking alcohol on her IG (“getting ready for marriage gras” with a shot of bottles of Fireball) which increases your risk of a seizure if you’re vulnerable (i.e., epilepsy), so I would be surprised if she suffered from them. Knowing whether she drove a car (or did JG always drive?) could shed some light on that.

Last edited:
Alright, I figured out MOO, IMO, JMO pretty quick... but what is RS&BBM & SBM? :confused:

Auntie may have satisfied your curiosity already. But my use of "RS&BBM" = respectfully snipped and bolded by me... a combo acronym.

Where’d you read that Jon’s cell phone was in his shirt pocket? News reports just say it was found in his pocket.

Well... I recall reading that factoid more than once in MSM. But now cannot recall where or when. I will poke around when I have better technology at hand than I do now. In the meantime I welcome others to chime in if they have a ready source.

Medication prescribed after a TBI, if any, would be too variable to make an educated guess. Depending on the nature and location of the injury, people can have cognitive impairments like impaired memory, attention, or judgment; or emotional vulnerabilities like increased anxiety, propensity towards anger, emotionally lability, impulsivity, etc. Some conditions, like anxiety or insomnia, can be treated with meds like benzodiazepines (Ativan, Klonopin, the “pam” drugs). Other conditions are better treated through talk therapy like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) like learning to recognize the likely outcome of a decision before you make it to improve judgment and planning (“playing the tape forward”). We don’t know what Ellen was suffering with or what connection, if any, her “debilitating health condition” had on her TBI.

Seizures are a possible complication of a TBI but Ellen posted about drinking alcohol on her IG (“getting ready for marriage gras” with a shot of bottles of Fireball) which increases your risk of a seizure if you’re vulnerable (i.e., epilepsy), so I would be surprised if she suffered from them. Knowing whether she drove a car (or did JG always drive?) could shed some light on that.

Thank you for that info. Whether or not EC drove would be interesting to know. Of course, we still don't know whose body the car keys were found on, or if they were found at all, but that would certainly be useful to know.

This theory may have already been put forward, but what if they had lost the car keys on their hike, and they spent valuable time retracing their steps searching for them?
That extra time is not only additional exposure to the sun and heat, but additional exertion meaning maybe more water needed to be consumed than usual.
I think this theory would have to assume that they knew there was no cell phone signal in the location where their car was parked, otherwise surely they'd have stopped looking for the keys after a short time and just phoned someone for help when they were back at the car and asked them to come and pick them up?

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member