CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death remote hiking area, Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure they had plenty of water? I thought it said they still had 'a little water' left. And the problem is that it is not just water that is needed to correct heat stroke. Once your body goes into heat stroke mode drinking some water will not prevent your death.

Your body organs begins shutting down and you go into a coma, even if you sip some more water. It is about the heat of your body temperature at that point, not simply dehydration.

I am not sure that it would have been picked up already by the initial autopsy. I dont think it was a very extensive one yet. JMO

It’s possible they had gone through their original water and refilled from the local water source. They’re testing the water they had left. I think hyperthermia contributed to the deaths regardless of whether it was the cause of death or not, surely it didn’t help any possibility of surviving.

Following this case closely, I have a little boy who is an avid hiker and convinces me to go on long hikes in the California wilderness with him often including areas around where the family was found.

I’m preparing for the possibility we may never know what happened to this family.

Just my list of facts that answer some of the questions posed, and contribute to my dark theory: (murder/suicide or suicide pact)
  1. Their home is very near the trailhead for Hites Cove Trail (which is what made searchers check the gate where their truck was found parked)
  2. Their bodies were only 1.5 miles below the their truck on a series of switchbacks, and appeared to be near the end of their hike heading back to their truck.
  3. This section of the Hites Cove Trail makes a loop, with the halfway point the south fork of the Merced River. It is only about 2.5 miles long and is not considered to be a strenuous hike.
  4. This family hiked nearly every weekend. This wasn't a new activity.
  5. The family was found in the middle of the trail.
  6. Their bodies show no signs of trauma: no bites, punctures, signs of burns, trauma, bruising, scratches, gunshots, or obvious foul play. There were no medications or notes found. (This makes snake bites, lightening, and even CO2 rather unlikely)
  7. Hazmat has cleared the area -- and while Algae Blooms were questioned in the area, no other wildlife including insects were found dead near the bodies. Additionally, no members of the search parties, other hikers in the days/weeks previous, nor the two deputies who stayed overnight to protect the scene until the bodies could be removed were sickened being in the area.
  8. It is highly unlikely that this family drank green/blue water. First, they had a backpack with a bladder that was still holding some water when found. Second, they were very experienced hikers.
  9. There are/were no mines found within 3 miles of the area. (poisoning from mines unlikely)
  10. The husband was found in a seated position, their child beside him along with the dog.
  11. The wife was found just a very short distance away from them, slightly up the hill. All of them on the SAME PATH.
  12. A cell phone was in Gerrish’s pocket.
  13. Wife has overcome a traumatic brain injury.
  14. Wife has also worked as Pharmaceutical assistant in the past.
  15. They have traveled extensively -- including to the Gobi Desert.
  16. They are avid hikers and are not novices. They are familiar with climates, were well-prepared and had adequate supplies.
Admin Note: Noelscat has provided all the following links to support above information stated as fact. All else is member opinion:

(facts 1-12) 'Not one clue': The mystery is only deepening around the family found dead on a Sierra trail

(fact 1, 4, 8, 9, 16) Did algae bloom kill family hiking in Mariposa County? Authorities checking all possibilities in mysterious deaths

(fact 13) Satori Yoga Studio

(fact 13, 15, 16) Login • Instagram

(fact 14) https://www.linkedin.com/in/ellen-chung-b0647324/

Thank you for this. I will just add that they were found with a small amount of water, they may have been conserving and dehydrated and otherwise affected by the high temps.

I want to know if the baby was still strapped in the carrier or if it appeared like Gerrish was holding her. I can’t imagine leaving her in it unless she was sleeping and the parents died before her. Imo

It was reported that he was sitting and the baby was next to him, so, out of carrier. The wife was a short distance away farther up the hill.

Are you sure they had plenty of water? I thought it said they still had 'a little water' left. And the problem is that it is not just water that is needed to correct heat stroke. Once your body goes into heat stroke mode drinking some water will not prevent your death.

Your body organs begins shutting down and you go into a coma, even if you sip some more water. It is about the heat of your body temperature at that point, not simply dehydration.

I am not sure that it would have been picked up already by the initial autopsy. I dont think it was a very extensive one yet. JMO

It’s possible they had gone through their original water and refilled from the local water source. They’re testing the water they had left. I think hyperthermia contributed to the deaths regardless of whether it was the cause of death or not, surely it didn’t help any possibility of surviving.

Following this case closely, I have a little boy who is an avid hiker and convinces me to go on long hikes in the California wilderness with him often including areas around where the family was found.

I’m preparing for the possibility we may never know what happened to this family.
"If it was heatstroke, it means that two experienced hikers made a very bad decision."

Every case of heatstroke starts with some poor decision making.

My younger brother and I were playing hard outside on a sweltering hot summer day in Kentucky. We were about 7 and 9. For some reason, he ended up with heat stroke and I did not. He said he didn’t feel good so we went inside our farmhouse with no A/C. I put him under the living room ceiling fan and got him water. He fell over and started having a seizure. I thought he was faking it trying to scare me and yelled at him to stop, it’s not funny! When I realized he wasn’t faking it I ran to get my parents who were outside working on the farm and called 911.

He ended up recovering but even to this day, in his 30’s, is much more susceptible hyperthermia than anyone I know.

Doesn't it show 115 degrees at noontime at Aug 15? They certainly wouldn't have been expecting that.
Did their social media show long hikes in remote hot areas with their baby?
It’s been mentioned that they are experienced hikers but were all of those trips before the little one was born?
Experienced outdoors enthusiasts check the weather including hourly forecast plus heat index for that day.
I can’t imagine a baby in a backpack in that kind of heat was pleasurable unless it was a planned short hike?
JMO

Leaning toward poisoning or heat stroke. However, poisoning would have evidence by producing vomit, or foam at mouths, I would think? The fact that she was away from the husband, baby, and dog makes me think she survived longer. I hope there are answers for the loved one's after autopsy is complete.

My assumption is that this was meant to be a morning hike before the heat set in and something went wrong and they got caught in the heat.
This has been my assumption as well, but now I’m seeing articles where LE has said they set out in the afternoon! They must have good reason to think this, but it makes no sense to me for experienced hikers to leave for a long, exposed hike with a baby and furry dog in over 100 temps in the AFTERNOON. No way. I wonder if they’re wrong about this? If not, it is very troubling.

He also has a profile on AllTrails, but I can't link for some reason. He has pics and trail reviews.

On March 18, 2020 Jonathan mapped Hite's Cove Trail, but at that time it was still closed.
https://www.alltrails.com/members/jonathan-gerrish

But here it's checked as completed? Are the pictures on the post generic?
https://www.alltrails.com/members/jonathan-gerrish/completed

Cool old mine, some views, big climbs in places.
View Jonathan's activity

https://www.alltrails.com/members/jonathan-gerrish/photos

Ellen has a profile as well https://www.alltrails.com/members/ellen-chung-2

Why is homicide suspected? Just heard that on BBC news, so don't have a link. They didn't give any detail.

Last edited:
On March 18, 2020 Jonathan mapped Hite's Cove Trail, but at that time it was still closed.
https://www.alltrails.com/members/jonathan-gerrish

But here it's checked as completed? Are the pictures on the post generic?
https://www.alltrails.com/members/jonathan-gerrish/completed

Cool old mine, some views, big climbs in places.
View Jonathan's activity

https://www.alltrails.com/members/jonathan-gerrish/photos

Ellen has a profile as well Ellen Chung
Amazing find, thank you!

The probability of all three people and the dog dying of heat stroke simultaneously must be astronomical. Same for some fatal toxic algae event.

But anything is possible...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They did not have to die simultaneously, it may have been close to 2 days before they were found. Heat stroke incapacitates quickly. They were found with only a small amount of water in high temps, suggesting they had been rationing it.

They were not only fairly close to their truck, but down a steep climb, they were also only a few miles from their new home. Very sad.

This has been my assumption as well, but now I’m seeing articles where LE has said they set out in the afternoon! They must have good reason to think this, but it makes no sense to me for experienced hikers to leave for a long, exposed hike with a baby and furry dog in over 100 temps in the AFTERNOON. No way. I wonder if they’re wrong about this? If not, it is very troubling.

Here's the snipped portion of the article- and can I just say, this reporter has the most informative, well written articles of any media outlet.
Matthias Gafni is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: matthias.gafni@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @mgafni

In the latest tragedy, authorities believe the family left for their hike Sunday afternoon. The last known communication was with a friend earlier that morning.

When the deputy found the truck, a search-and-rescue team hiked down the steep and straight road with flashlights and found shoe and paw prints similar to what you’d expect from a family of that size with a dog, Briese said.

At 3:20 a.m., the sheriff’s office reserved a search helicopter for daybreak. They called in a second search team that began winding down the switchbacks that complete the loop back up to the Forest Service gate. This section of the Hites Cove Trail makes a loop, with the halfway point the south fork of the Merced River.

About 1.5 miles down the switchbacks, around 11 a.m. Tuesday, the team found the family in the middle of the trail. The husband was in a seated position, the child beside him along with the dog, and the wife just a little farther up the hill. Briese said they believe the family was returning to their truck.

A cell phone was in Gerrish’s pocket. There is little to no cell coverage on that section of trail. Investigators are trying to determine if the phone saved any failed text message drafts, attempted calls or photos, along with GPS location data, Briese said.

The family also had a backpack with a bladder that held a small amount of water, the sheriff said. They sent the water for testing. There was no indication whether the family had been swimming, as they would have dried off by the time they were found, he said.

'Not one clue': The mystery is only deepening around the family found dead on a Sierra trail

RSBM
Lastly- are we all forgetting that it is highly unlikelty that 2 adults, an infant and a canine were all "found down" in the same area (albeit EC was slightly more up the hill). Based on physiology alone, it is doubtful they all succombed to heatstroke at the same time.

Just because they were all found in the same location does not necessarily mean that they all succumbed to heat exhaustion, water toxicity, and/or another cause at the same time.

If the first family member to succumb to the conditions were the baby or the dog, the adults would likely choose to carry them with them to safety, even if they were no longer responding.

On the same token, if the adults were the first to succumb to the conditions, the baby would not be able to continue on, and the dog may choose to stay close to its family, both succumbing to the elements.

With that in mind, though shocking, I don’t think it’s as unlikely that they were all found in the same area as one would initially think.

MOO

realanastasia said:
Temperature on the date of their hike was 102F. Past Weather in South Fork Devils Gulch, California, USA — Yesterday or Further Back

Why would two apparently rational adults who were somewhat experienced hikers, even consider taking a 1-year old infant and dog on what is reportedly a fairly challenging (steep) hike through largely inhospitable terrain in such conditions?!?
Doesn't it show 115 degrees at noontime at Aug 15? They certainly wouldn't have been expecting that.

Actually that Devils Gulch is in another area because the weather station is in Redding, much further north and always one of the hottest areas in California.

I’m admittedly viewing this through my own experience. But when heatstroke is apparent in a group, at least one person summons all internal resources to make it towards a car/reception/help while leaving the most vulnerable behind to rest. That’s why I can’t make sense of heatstroke and the bodies being found together. Someone would have been dragging themselves towards salvation to save the family (with drag marks). And vomitus and other heat stroke conditions would have been apparent. I’ve treated people with heat stroke, and people who are alone will rest, but groups separate, either through confusion and irrational behavior or an effort to help. The infant would have experienced heat stroke first; the dog would’ve been panting heavily; the adults would have had warning.

Last edited:
It was reported that he was sitting and the baby was next to him, so, out of carrier. The wife was a short distance away farther up the hill.
BBM

Yes but this could mean he removed the backpack and set it down next to himself, with the baby still in the carrier.

I'd like to know which it is, as it affects my suspicion about whether it was the baby or the dog initially in distress.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member