CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell even a motive would be nice. Girl is gone when she turns 18 anyway shy would a step mother go through the trouble of murdering her. I looked through some of their family pics and they all look legit happy. What is your top theories as to what happened? I think she got kidnapped at highway 6, hitch hiking or forced into a vehicle.
It's easy to attack other peoples theories & their basis for them. If you give no basis for your theories you don't have to defend them. jmo

That is not my first choice of what happened to Karlie but I'm open to the possibility. Now, present me with some evidence to support your theory. I don't know what happened to her and am willing to explore all possibilities.

I will tread lightly because no one has been named a POI, but if she didn't walk off and get snatched by a stranger which statistically is relatively rare, then I might believe an accident of sorts happened and could have been mishandled.

With the evidence that we know, however, it still seems the most probable theories are that she walked off and got taken by an opportunist criminal that saw her, or wandered off, perhaps got lost and died due to elements and dehydration.

From the beginning, it never made sense that she had only smoked marijuana and had that reaction for as long as she did. It makes more logical sense to me that she ingested something else (LSD), perhaps unknowingly or smoked synthetic marijuana, which can stay in your system much longer than regular marijuana. It's the only explanation for her continued state of paranoia and being distraught. MOO

I will tread lightly because no one has been named a POI, but if she didn't walk off and get snatched by a stranger which statistically is relatively rare, then I might believe an accident of sorts happened and could have been mishandled.

With the evidence that we know, however, it still seems the most probable theories are that she walked off and got taken by an opportunist criminal that saw her, or wandered off, perhaps got lost and died due to elements and dehydration.

From the beginning, it never made sense that she had only smoked marijuana and had that reaction for as long as she did. It makes more logical sense to me that she ingested something else (LSD), perhaps unknowingly or smoked synthetic marijuana, which can stay in your system much longer than regular marijuana. It's the only explanation for her continued state of paranoia and being distraught. MOO
A rational, well-thought out post as to what happened. A bit of a rarity on this board. I agree with you.

Agree with your other theories. But disagree on that last paragraph it's pretty well known that THC does have a long effect more than people realize:

Ten experienced licensed private pilots were trained for 8 hours on a flight simulator landing task. They each smoked a cigarette containing 19 mg of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and 24 hours later their mean performance on the flight task showed trends toward impairment on all variables, with significant impairment in number and size of aileron changes, size of elevator changes, distance off center on landing, and vertical and lateral deviation on approach to landing. Despite these deficits, the pilots reported no awareness of impaired performance. These results may have implications for performance of complex tasks the day after smoking marijuana.

Psychiatry Online

A rational, well-thought out post as to what happened. A bit of a rarity on this board. I agree with you.

I think some terrific conversations were happening in the earlier thread, but with Karlie being gone for so long with no real new information or clues, emotions can run high on strange cases like this.

Agree with your other theories. But disagree on that last paragraph it's pretty well known that THC does have a long effect more than people realize:

Ten experienced licensed private pilots were trained for 8 hours on a flight simulator landing task. They each smoked a cigarette containing 19 mg of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and 24 hours later their mean performance on the flight task showed trends toward impairment on all variables, with significant impairment in number and size of aileron changes, size of elevator changes, distance off center on landing, and vertical and lateral deviation on approach to landing. Despite these deficits, the pilots reported no awareness of impaired performance. These results may have implications for performance of complex tasks the day after smoking marijuana.

Psychiatry Online

Those were performance issues though not cognitive reactions. I am unaware of anyone or any studies showing long-term paranoia from smoking regular marijuana lasting as long as Karlie seemed to experience. With the other solvents and things added to the "fake" marijuana, it could potentially last a lot longer. To me, though, it seemed more like LSD or something of that nature, which could definitely last as long as we saw in Karlie's case. She might not even have even known it could have been slipped to her or a mistake making her experience a lot more frightening.

Possible development in the case?:

I tried contacting Melissa and some others on Facebook with this link, but FB's messaging system is a little finicky and I'm unsure if they'll ever get it. You guys are the only other people who might be interested.

For those who think "That might be ANYONE," you're right, it could. But we should ask those who know Karlie if that sounds like her voice, because it would be irresponsible not to. This was clearly not a prank; this was clearly the attempt of a terrified young woman to break free from her captor. It looks like she could only get the back hatch open. Perhaps she was chained down?

Possible development in the case?:

I tried contacting Melissa and some others on Facebook with this link, but FB's messaging system is a little finicky and I'm unsure if they'll ever get it. You guys are the only other people who might be interested.

For those who think "That might be ANYONE," you're right, it could. But we should ask those who know Karlie if that sounds like her voice, because it would be irresponsible not to. This was clearly not a prank; this was clearly the attempt of a terrified young woman to break free from her captor. It looks like she could only get the back hatch open. Perhaps she was chained down?
Where was this located? That is horrifying no matter who it is.

Where was this located? That is horrifying no matter who it is.
South LA. I wouldn't have posted it ITT unless it occurred somewhere near California.

You're absolutely right. This is a very dire situation regardless. Hope it's investigated thoroughly, and not written off as a prank because there were no missing persons reported immediately after. The police MUST secure security footage before 2 months time, when most security footage is overwritten. This hatchback had to have been caught in a gas station somewhere.

Way too away. I'd imagine Karlie's kidnapper would have her in check by the time they reached an area 260-300 miles away

Way too away. I'd imagine Karlie's kidnapper would have her in check by the time they reached an area 260-300 miles away
This happened last Tuesday. Women have been held captive for longer, and have been transported further distances in a shorter period of time. It's very sad, because this young woman clearly thought this was the perfect opportunity to escape, and no one did anything to help.

Edit: I implore everyone here to share the link to the YouTube video on all forums related to Karlie: YouTube, Facebook, reddit (unresolvedmysteries) etc. If we act fast, we may be saving a life.

This happened last Tuesday. Women have been held captive for longer, and have been transported further distances in a shorter period of time. It's very sad, because this young woman clearly thought this was the perfect opportunity to escape, and no one did anything to help.

Edit: I implore everyone here to share the link to the YouTube video on all forums related to Karlie: YouTube, Facebook, reddit (unresolvedmysteries) etc. If we act fast, we may be saving a life.

I saw this clip this morning, it's all over the news everywhere, several people I know asked me if I had seen it; it's horrifying. There are thousands of missing women all over the country; it may be a stretch without further evidence to try to connect it to Karlie.

From what I saw and read, lots of neighbors called 911 immediately. What else are they suppose to do? They don't know the situation or whether there may be a gun involved. I would have had a tough time not running over to the car, but in that scenario, even I would have called 911 and restrained getting directly involved for my safety.

I saw this clip this morning, it's all over the news everywhere, several people I know asked me if I had seen it; it's horrifying. There are thousands of missing women all over the country; it may be a stretch without further evidence to try to connect it to Karlie.

From what I saw and read, lots of neighbors called 911 immediately. What else are they suppose to do? They don't know the situation or whether there may be a gun involved. I would have had a tough time not running over to the car, but in that scenario, even I would have called 911 and restrained getting directly involved for my safety.
It also says on there they tried to follow the car. Not sure what else they could have done.

My top theory on this case is that she wandered into the desert already dehydrated from what she ingested and perished from that/the elements. The odd behavior of the SM makes her involvement a second theory for me. I do think her changing stories are a red flag. I’ve followed too many sad cases where SM has been responsible for the daughters demise and I see parallels. So I don’t have facts or links to prove my theory. Perhaps Karlie had a medical emergency with whatever she ingested and the SM/dad did not get her the help she needed and therefore the coverup/changing stories.

What we do have? We know that she ingested something that affected her, she disappeared without proper clothing or hydration and without her cell phone. I don’t believe she made it past that afternoon alive. If that long.

My top theory on this case is that she wandered into the desert already dehydrated from what she ingested and perished from that/the elements. The odd behavior of the SM makes her involvement a second theory for me. I do think her changing stories are a red flag. I’ve followed too many sad cases where SM has been responsible for the daughters demise and I see parallels. So I don’t have facts or links to prove my theory. Perhaps Karlie had a medical emergency with whatever she ingested and the SM/dad did not get her the help she needed and therefore the coverup/changing stories.

What we do have? We know that she ingested something that affected her, she disappeared without proper clothing or hydration and without her cell phone. I don’t believe she made it past that afternoon alive. If that long.

I like your top theory a lot; it's on my list as well. The only problem I get stuck on is they had scent dogs out there within just a couple of days after she went missing. Of course, we don't know what they found since LE is tip lipped and have already said they are not releasing any findings until the case is closed. It's possible the dogs picked up a scent, and the area was searched but resulted in nothing. Scent dogs are not perfect. Also, the general area was extensively explored by LE and volunteer search groups. They searched huge areas near the highway and her house. Again it's possible they just got unlucky and didn't find her, but I tend to believe Karlie couldn't have gone that far in her condition, and I would be shocked the dogs or search parties didn't find anything, but it's a possibility.

I have only stated the importance of ruling Karlie out, not that this girl is likely to be her. Update: supposedly, the vehicle was driven by a black male with a black female in the passenger seat. Some are saying the black female in the passenger seat was the victim, but from what I can tell of her accent and vocal pitch, the girl screaming was either White or Latina. The hatch of the trunk being open suggests to me that she was in the back of the vehicle.

Re "my safety": It makes perfect sense if you're a woman. But if you're a man, that's a truly shameful thing to say.

Re what likely happened to Karlie: though her father and SM can't be ruled out as suspects, they deserve sympathy and compassion until conclusive evidence indicates their guilt. So far, none has.

So what happened? Authorities have conducted extensive searches for her body, and nothing has turned up so far. I truly believe she encountered foul play. For the sake of brevity, look up the Highway Serial Killings Initiative. It's not only likely that she accepted a ride from a stranger, but the only logical explanation for why her body hasn't been found in the vicinity of where she went missing. Whether she's being held captive or has already been murdered is the morbid and hopeless question we have to ponder, sadly.

I like your top theory a lot; it's on my list as well. The only problem I get stuck on is they had scent dogs out there within just a couple of days after she went missing. Of course, we don't know what they found since LE is tip lipped and have already said they are not releasing any findings until the case is closed. It's possible the dogs picked up a scent, and the area was searched but resulted in nothing. Scent dogs are not perfect. Also, the general area was extensively explored by LE and volunteer search groups. They searched huge areas near the highway and her house. Again it's possible they just got unlucky and didn't find her, but I tend to believe Karlie couldn't have gone that far in her condition, and I would be shocked the dogs or search parties didn't find anything, but it's a possibility.
That’s my problem with my top theory too. They had helicopters out that very afternoon!

So let's re-cap all the hypotheses here and the major problems with each of them.

1. She was murdered by someone in her family.
Not killed, but murdered. I have seen a few people suggest this: Melissa was sooo angry that she just strangled her to death to avoid having to deal with her and her pot-smoking shenanigans. Needless to say, this is more than a little far-fetched.

2. She overdosed, and her parents covered it up.
This appears to be a very common explanation of her disappearance. To avoid endless delineations and arguments, I will simply cite this article, which I believe to be very thorough: No Voice, No Purpose: The Lies and Fall of the Karlie Guse Lynch Mob Though I disagree with some of the emotional pleading ("You can never blame the family members!"), it's well-argued and deserves to be looked at by anyone assured of her parents' guilt. To be clear, I think a lot of the parents' behavior is unusual, but I also think they deserve a great deal of sympathy and compassion. The risks either way, that we ignore possible suspects or that we blame innocent victims, can not be overlooked.

3. She was kidnapped by BM's boyfriend
This is one some of you may not have heard, but I was told by the person who wrote the article above (Damion) that the police were considering this angle. Supposedly, he was driving through the area at the exact time Karlie disappeared. It would certainly explain some of BM's odd behavior. I can't give away any more information.

4. She wandered out into the desert and died.
Before learning of the extensive search effort that went into Karlie's case (it really was and still is a cause célèbre), I thought this was the most likely explanation. Now I do not consider it so likely, because even though she was disoriented and seen entering the desert, she could not possibly have gotten very far in her condition. She did not drink any water before leaving, nor did she take any with her. She would have succumbed to the desert heat within a day. How far can a disoriented girl trek into the desert? That's how far and how long it would take authorities to find a body. Consider this explanation bunk.

5. She was kidnapped by an unknown assailant.
Most likely. This is the only explanation consistent with everything we know.

6. She's OK, just hiding
It's happened before. But she didn't take her glasses, and she didn't take anything else. She didn't go to any of her friends houses. Is she a desert nomad now? The vast majority of missing persons return before 1 year; only a minority of missing persons return after 2 years. And beyond that point? You can consider the missing person dead. We've all heard stories of people who "went missing" and changed their identities, evading authorities and everyone else. The woman who imitated Brooke Henson being a prime example. However, how common is this? Considering Karlie's circumstances, this should not be given precedence over the kidnapping explanation.

If she wandered out to the desert, she would have been found by now. So I discount that theory. Walking out to the road and being picked up by someone, is a long stretch IMO, but still a possibility. She may have died from whatever she consumed, they were scared and dumped her body somewhere.

Another possibility, she died in the home that night. Parents panicked because they did not seek treatment for her and her body was removed and taken somewhere. Sorry not sorry, but you can't discount this because it explains so many of the oddities exhibited by sm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamonara