CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, hitting him with a drug charge is a bad idea for the reasons you cited. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for pointing that out. MOO, but as I stated before, I think a good and supportive boyfriend would have discouraged KLG from using drugs rather than facilitating their abuse. Reading so many stories on Websleuths about recreational drugs leading to terrible consequences, in addition to my profession as a healthcare provider and researcher, tells me whatever perceived benefits recreational marijuana might have, the benefits do NOT outweigh the risks. Just hope someone can learn from this tragedy, and other young people will curb their drug use and understand it is NOT just harmless fun.

Anyway, I realize we have different perspectives and that's okay. Thanks for offering yours, and you do make some good points as quoted above. We're all on the same team and just want KLG to make it home safely.

You have a specific perspective. It's different from mine. He uses pot and so does she. Why is he responsible for being a good supportive boyfriend and tell her not to use drugs? Why isn't it her responsibility?

I just don't think either are bad partners or unsupportive because they choose to use a recreational drug like marijuana.

I do not believe there are many stories of marijuana leading to terrible consequences. I can't recall one. Hard drug use and alcohol are what causes that.

Marijuana isn't perfectly harmless for teens of course. The main risks of marijuana for teens are losing motivation and lung damage.

But I don't think marijuana is the issue here.

IMO we Americans tend to be very Puritan when it comes to things like sex, marijuana and alcohol and unrealistic when it comes to any of that and teens and it hasn't led to lower drug use rates or safer sex, less teen pregnancies, less alcohol use or older ages of first sexual activity. It's actually the opposite.

The main risks for teens I believe are much worse than losing motivation and lung damage. I don't want to get into a scientific debate about the effects of marijuana or hijack KLG's thread, but if anyone is interested there is a great book published in 2017 by the National Academy of Medicine entitled "The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids" that has summarized risks and benefits of marijuana. The chapter on its mental health effects, for example, shows a statistical association between marijuana use and the development of schizophrenia and psychoses. A free link to that chapter can be found here: https://www.nap.edu/read/24625/chapter/14 And of course the effects of marijuana are much worse on a developing brain and endocannabinoid system, i.e., in those under 25 years old. So I would feel confident in saying that avoiding marijuana isn't simply a puritanical precaution, but a real concern. MOO.

As for marijuana leading to terrible consequences, I am referring to it being involved in any tangential way, not directly killing a person. Just being involved with drug dealers, for example, can get very dangerous, as a general rule. As I mentioned up-thread, just a few weeks ago we had two young boys killed after selling a tiny amount of pot to some awful man who decided to beat them to death. A quick google search will show many other murders with pot at the heart of the case. I have no idea if KLG was involved with drug dealers, or if the boyfriend was a drug dealer, as the drug angle hasn't been discussed much beyond speculation that she had a bad reaction to some home-grown pot.

The main risks for teens I believe are much worse than losing motivation and lung damage. I don't want to get into a scientific debate about the effects of marijuana or hijack KLG's thread, but if anyone is interested there is a great book published in 2017 by the National Academy of Medicine entitled "The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids" that has summarized risks and benefits of marijuana. The chapter on its mental health effects, for example, shows a statistical association between marijuana use and the development of schizophrenia and psychoses. A free link to that chapter can be found here: https://www.nap.edu/read/24625/chapter/14 And of course the effects of marijuana are much worse on a developing brain and endocannabinoid system, i.e., in those under 25 years old. So I would feel confident in saying that avoiding marijuana isn't simply a puritanical precaution, but a real concern. MOO.

This is most definitely true. I did some research on that several pages back--I'll quote my post here.

"Recent research...has found that people who use marijuana and carry a specific variant of the AKT1 gene, which codes for an enzyme that affects dopamine signaling in the striatum, are at increased risk of developing psychosis. The striatum is an area of the brain that becomes activated and flooded with dopamine when certain stimuli are present. One study found that the risk of psychosis among those with this variant was seven times higher for those who used marijuana daily compared with those who used it infrequently or used none at all.

Another study found an increased risk of psychosis among adults who had used marijuana in adolescence and also carried a specific variant of the gene for catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), an enzyme that degrades neurotransmitters such as dopamine and norepinephrine...Marijuana use has also been shown to worsen the course of illness in patients who already have schizophrenia. As mentioned previously, marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction in non-schizophrenic people who use marijuana, especially at high doses, although this fades as the drug wears off.

Inconsistent and modest associations have been reported between marijuana use and suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide among teens. Marijuana has also been associated with an amotivational syndrome, defined as a diminished or absent drive to engage in typically rewarding activities. Because of the role of the endocannabinoid system in regulating mood and reward, it has been hypothesized that brain changes resulting from early use of marijuana may underlie these associations, but more research is needed to verify that such links exist and better understand them." link

"There’s consistent evidence showing a relationship over time between heavy or repeated cannabis use (or those diagnosed with cannabis use disorder) and an experience of psychosis for the first time...

The heaviest users of cannabis are around four times as likely to develop schizophrenia (a psychotic disorder that affects a person’s ability to think, feel and behave clearly) than non-users. Even the “average cannabis user” (for which the definition varies from study to study) is around twice as likely as a non-user to develop a psychotic disorder.

Furthermore, these studies found a causal link between tetrahydrocannabinol (THC - the plant chemical which elicits the “stoned” experience) and psychosis. This means the link is not coincidental, and one has actually caused the other...

Those with these genetic variants who have also experienced childhood trauma, or have a paranoid personality type, are even more at-risk. So too are adolescents and young adults, who have growing brains and are at an age where schizophrenia is more likely to manifest." link

"Findings show study participants who began using marijuana at the age of 16 or younger demonstrated brain variations that indicate arrested brain development in the prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain responsible for judgment, reasoning and complex thinking. Individuals who started using marijuana after age 16 showed the opposite effect and demonstrated signs of accelerated brain aging." link

"For one thing, recent studies show that cannabinoids manufactured by our own nerve cells play a crucial role in wiring the brain, both prenatally and during adolescence. Throughout life they regulate appetite, sleep, emotion, memory and movement—which makes sense when you consider the effects of marijuana. There are “huge changes” in the concentration of these endocannabinoids during the teenage years, according to neurologist Yasmin Hurd of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, which is why she and others who study this system worry about the impact of casually dosing it with weed.

Brain-imaging studies reinforce this concern. A number of smallish studies have seen differences in the brains of habitual weed smokers, including altered connectivity between the hemispheres, inefficient cognitive processing in adolescent users, and a smaller amygdala and hippocampus—structures involved in emotional regulation and memory, respectively.

More evidence comes from research in animals. Rats given THC, the chemical that puts the high in marijuana, show persistent cognitive difficulties if exposed around the time of puberty—but not if they are exposed as adults." link

"The literature not only suggests neurocognitive disadvantages to using marijuana in the domains of attention and memory that persist beyond abstinence, but suggest possible macrostructural brain alterations (e.g., morphometry changes in gray matter tissue), changes in white matter tract integrity (e.g., poorer coherence in white matter fibers), and abnormalities of neural functioning (e.g., increased brain activation, changes in neurovascular functioning). Earlier initiation of marijuana use (e.g., before age 17) and more frequent use has also been associated with poorer outcome." link

Although it is not a hard drug, marijuana should not be dismissed in Karlie's case. JMO.

This is most definitely true. I did some research on that several pages back--I'll quote my post here.

Although it is not a hard drug, marijuana should not be dismissed in Karlie's case. JMO.
I agree but I also don’t think that marijuana is the cause of poor Karlie’s demise here. She either was on something much worse, or succumbed to the elements, or something happened in that house. MOO

I had not seen this before but StepM posted youtube channel Dec 26, 2018 with about 9 clips from Oct 2018.

hmmmmmm I had not seen that either. Makes me wonder. Wow....just wow. Feel so bad for Karlie. I mean, where is she? and What is local LE doing to continue the search? Is SM really crying in this video? Kinda seems like....ugh...no words

hmmmmmm I had not seen that either. Makes me wonder. Wow....just wow. Feel so bad for Karlie. I mean, where is she? and What is local LE doing to continue the search? Is SM really crying in this video? Kinda seems like....ugh...no words
Unfortunately, I think this drama by SM is what initially turned people off, and here we are, 4+ months later not any closer than to finding KG. :(

ETA: I believe this was previously on SM fb but I don't use fb so had not seen it until it was uploaded to ytube.

Is there a link somewhere?

Yup, sorry didn't see this earlier.

Scroll down in the podcast episode box, there are two episodes one on Oct.25 w/ bio mom and another on Oct.26 w/ bio dad and step mom.

The words the bio mom uses vs. bio dad and step mom are interesting.

Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

Yup, sorry didn't see this earlier.

Scroll down in the podcast episode box, there are two episodes one on Oct.25 w/ bio mom and another on Oct.26 w/ bio dad and step mom.

The words the bio mom uses vs. bio dad and step mom are interesting.

Crime Stories with Nancy Grace
Anyone have a link to Episode 2? I'm not able to locate it. TIA

Mono County: Deputies still searching for teen four months after her disappearance

Deputies are still searching for a teenage girl who was reported missing four months ago, the first missing child case of this magnitude, according to the Mono County Sheriff’s Office.

[...]

Roberts said the family has received backlash after the girl’s stepmother posted a video asking for help on Facebook.

They’ve stayed off social media,” Roberts said. “They had people threatening them or accusing them and stuff like that.

“We’ve never had a missing person like this,” she said. “There seem to be more and more instances on Facebook where people are acting this way. People put out there their assumptions, and they run with them on social media.”

[...]

Mono County: Deputies still searching for teen four months after her disappearance

Deputies are still searching for a teenage girl who was reported missing four months ago, the first missing child case of this magnitude, according to the Mono County Sheriff’s Office.

[...]

Roberts said the family has received backlash after the girl’s stepmother posted a video asking for help on Facebook.

They’ve stayed off social media,” Roberts said. “They had people threatening them or accusing them and stuff like that.

“We’ve never had a missing person like this,” she said. “There seem to be more and more instances on Facebook where people are acting this way. People put out there their assumptions, and they run with them on social media.”

[...]
This makes me sick and so mad!! It’s not like the family has anything else to worry about. Some people have no common decency. What if this was their child missing. Would they be so excepting of the backlash like they’re dishing out? I always say don’t criticize someone unless you know the facts. And no one knows exactly what happened to Karlie except Karlie at this point. It’s easy to point fingers but it won’t help finding her. It only makes a bad situation worse. Moo

This makes me sick and so mad!! It’s not like the family has anything else to worry about. Some people have no common decency. What if this was their child missing. Would they be so excepting of the backlash like they’re dishing out? I always say don’t criticize someone unless you know the facts. And no one knows exactly what happened to Karlie except Karlie at this point. It’s easy to point fingers but it won’t help finding her. It only makes a bad situation worse. Moo
I agree, we shouldn’t pass judgement in any case until we know facts, but most of us are just trying to break down the ifs/maybes and sleuth here. IMO Karlie isn’t the only one that knows what happened to Karlie. I truly hope I’m wrong here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member