CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still thrown off by the dad and stepmom in this case. Their interview with NG was very telling IMO. Why would you give the wrong description of the clothing your daughter wore the last time you saw her and she’s missing! I hope LE is doing some investigating of this household behind the scenes. Something is so wrong here IMO

I completely agree.within like 3 hours of this girl missing, her stepmom had already made a Facebook page and contacted the media. Just seems strange.

I'm thinking along the exact same lines as (I assume) just about everyone else is on this case but I just felt like I needed to jump in here. No one knows how they will react in a situation like this until you're in a situation like this. I don't think it's fair to judge the stepmom for making and Facebook page and contacting the media to get her stepdaughters name out there. When families don't do this in MP cases, we jump all over them wondering why they aren't trying every way possible to make sure everyone is aware of their missing child. So while I think the stepmom may have done some shady things, I do not think this qualifies as one of those things.

I’m still thrown off by the dad and stepmom in this case. Their interview with NG was very telling IMO. Why would you give the wrong description of the clothing your daughter wore the last time you saw her and she’s missing! I hope LE is doing some investigating of this household behind the scenes. Something is so wrong here IMO
Their reason for giving wrong clothing description was that they last saw her in a T-shirt and underwear. Since she wears skinny jeans everyday, they told LE that she was wearing the T-shirt and skinny jeans because they assume she did not leave the house in underwear. They later changed description to T-shirt and gray sweatpants based on eye witness accounts of seeing Karlie in the neighborhood that morning on foot. Interestingly, SM was wearing gray sweatpants and T-shirt that same morning.

Karlie Guse stepmom admits: I gave the wrong description of my daughter's clothes from Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

I’m pretty sure they did at least a cursory search of the home. I just have a gut feeling that they missed something there. I can’t shake it. I want her to be on a break from her life, and will return safely soon. I know that’s not likely, though. Lots of prayers.... jmo

Is anyone still even investigating this? Is anyone looking for her? It just feels like she's a forgotten child. I don't know.

If the boyfriend knew that Karlie had been suspended from school for using marijuana, and that she had been pot-free for a good period of time, why in the world would he invite her over and give her his apparently home-grown marijuana? LE definitely should have asked the bf for access to the pot he claimed she smoked/ingested so they could send it to the lab for testing, at least to rule out contaminants. Yes, she could have had a fluke bad reaction to it, but if this was the same source of pot she'd had in the past without any ill effects, then testing the pot could at least give LE an idea of whether or not it was a likely contributor to her disappearance. And shouldn't the boyfriend be charged at least with a misdemeanor for giving her pot? Proposition 64 legalized the possession and use of recreational marijuana only in adults 21+, not high school age teens.

The kid made it home. Her adult parents failed to take her to the hospital. Her boyfriend, unless he is not also a minor, is not responsible here.

Kids do stupid things. It's up to the adults to do the right thing.

The kid made it home. Her adult parents failed to take her to the hospital. Her boyfriend, unless he is not also a minor, is not responsible here.

Kids do stupid things. It's up to the adults to do the right thing.

I do believe that minors -- especially high school teenagers -- are old enough to take responsibility/culpability for their own actions. Kids that age generally should and do know the difference between right and wrong, legal and illegal, dangerous and safe. If the boyfriend hadn't provided KLG with drugs, she might not be missing at all right now. Likewise, if the parents had taken KLG to the hospital, she probably would be home safe now too. Both parties made terrible decisions, and both are partially responsible for KLG being missing now. The respective degrees of responsibility, however, is unknown...

I do believe that minors -- especially high school teenagers -- are old enough to take responsibility/culpability for their own actions. Kids that age generally should and do know the difference between right and wrong, legal and illegal, dangerous and safe. If the boyfriend hadn't provided KLG with drugs, she might not be missing at all right now. Likewise, if the parents had taken KLG to the hospital, she probably would be home safe now too. Both parties made terrible decisions, and both are partially responsible for KLG being missing now. The respective degrees of responsibility, however, is unknown...

He's not. He's a minor and was doing the same thing she was. He did t force anything on her. Once she got home she was her parents' responsibility. Her step-mother knew exactly what was going on with her - supposedly.

There is a reason that this young man has not been charged by police.

Well, technically they could charge him for illegal drug use, although I doubt that will help bring KLG back. But if it would discourage him from providing pot to other kids then that's a good start. I feel like kids (and adults) really need to understand that even seemingly "innocuous" or "recreational" drugs can lead to serious and dangerous consequences. So many missing people I read about on Websleuths are involved with drugs, and not even "hard" drugs...and yet, they disappear. The two boys who recently were killed over minor pot dealing come to mind.

I was just thinking the same thing! I read through this whole thread and I can’t believe nothing has happened in this case. It sure doesn’t look like a teen runaway situation. Who runs away at the break of dawn with no personal possessions and not even telling close friends/ boyfriend? No way. Something bad happened to her. There is so much weirdness here. IDK.

ETA I meant to quote Gitana’s question if anyone is still investigating this & forgot to insert quote. Now it won’t let me. Lol.

Well, technically they could charge him for illegal drug use, although I doubt that will help bring KLG back. But if it would discourage him from providing pot to other kids then that's a good start. I feel like kids (and adults) really need to understand that even seemingly "innocuous" or "recreational" drugs can lead to serious and dangerous consequences. So many missing people I read about on Websleuths are involved with drugs, and not even "hard" drugs...and yet, they disappear. The two boys who recently were killed over minor pot dealing come to mind.

This is not this teenager's fault. They haven't charged him with anything because it's not his fault. These kids all decided on their own to do whatever they did. It wasn't as if he was standing outside a grade school and enticing little kids to use drugs. These teens all used pot. Which is typically not close to as dangerous as alcohol when it comes to risk (accidents -like car, drowning, gun deaths, falling off something, assaults/DV, murder, overdose). They are all responsible for their own drug use.

I don't know if they used something else but again, her parents fully knew she was under the influence (if they're to be believed), supposedly were monitoring her but did nothing to get her medical care if they felt she was acting bizarrely. And clearly, again if they're telling the truth, they didn't monitor her. Because she's gone.

Finally, harassing kids with drug charges in order to charge someone in relation to a disappearance that is not their fault is a terrible, terrible idea and will prevent an investigation form proceeding. It is a great way to get teens to clam up even further and see LE as the enemy. LE needs witnesses who will be honest, not fearful teens who refuse to give information in such cases because they think they could get in trouble. (Even though the charge is merely an infraction and would only result in four hours of drug counseling and 10 hours of community service. But teens may not know that).

This is not this teenager's fault...

...Finally, harassing kids with drug charges in order to charge someone in relation to a disappearance that is not their fault is a terrible, terrible idea and will prevent an investigation form proceeding. It is a great way to get teens to clam up even further and see LE as the enemy. LE needs witnesses who will be honest, not fearful teens who refuse to give information in such cases because they think they could get in trouble. (Even though the charge is merely an infraction and would only result in four hours of drug counseling and 10 hours of community service. But teens may not know that).

I agree, hitting him with a drug charge is a bad idea for the reasons you cited. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for pointing that out. MOO, but as I stated before, I think a good and supportive boyfriend would have discouraged KLG from using drugs rather than facilitating their abuse. Reading so many stories on Websleuths about recreational drugs leading to terrible consequences, in addition to my profession as a healthcare provider and researcher, tells me whatever perceived benefits recreational marijuana might have, the benefits do NOT outweigh the risks. Just hope someone can learn from this tragedy, and other young people will curb their drug use and understand it is NOT just harmless fun.

Anyway, I realize we have different perspectives and that's okay. Thanks for offering yours, and you do make some good points as quoted above. We're all on the same team and just want KLG to make it home safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018