CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what the MCSO has on their page.
No mention of clothing or footwear.

Mono County Sheriff's Office

Here's a quote from article (referenced below) which mentions her shoes:

"The Sheriff's Office initially said investigators did not have a description of her clothing, but later said the teen might have had on a white T-shirt and gray sweatpants. Her mother said the teen was wearing Vans shoes."

Authorities Search for 16-Year-Old Girl Who Disappeared Over the Weekend in Mono County

Here's a quote from article (referenced below) which mentions her shoes:

"The Sheriff's Office initially said investigators did not have a description of her clothing, but later said the teen might have had on a white T-shirt and gray sweatpants. Her mother said the teen was wearing Vans shoes."

Authorities Search for 16-Year-Old Girl Who Disappeared Over the Weekend in Mono County
Thank you.
Still strange that they said "might have had on a white t-shirt and gray sweat pants" If she was seen out that morning I wonder why they didn't say she was seen wearing that?

The step mom made a video explaining everything that happened that night (disoriented, awake all night etc) are we not allowed to discuss that? The video is on the sheriffs Facebook page
If it is posted BY the law enforcement agency's/officer's page, you can provide a link and the information posted can be discussed. If it's just posted ON the page, you can direct people to the page but can't discuss the content of the post here. Thanks

I'm getting a feeling like maybe stepmom gave her something to sleep to help with the anxiety and, well, being up all night. Maybe an Ambien?

And this isn't really accusatory. Having dealt with a teenage daughter with severe anxiety, who frequently keeps me up all night dealing with it, I know I might be tempted to give her something. Luckily, she has her own prescription medication to help with that, but if she didn't, and I had some Ambien?...I'm not sure that I would make the best choice. You get desperate after awhile.

Anyway, if she did give Karlie something like that then one, it would explain her wandering off and being disoriented, and two, I doubt stepmom would want to be public with that information.

As for what happened after that...i think it's possible she was hit by someone under the influence, who instead of going to prison for killing her, chose to take her somewhere even more remote and leave her body.

Perhaps this isn't actually odd, but why do we keep seeing the same couple photos of Karlie over and over again when they aren't even recent? Her hair is dark blonde now (and I don't remember where I heard this, but if I remember correctly, it's shorter now too). It's in the sheriff's report; her stepmother mentioned it.

But in the school picture with the blue background and the sunlit car photo, her hair is dark brown and long. And in the collage in this article, most if not all of the other pictures look older than the blue school photo, IMO. I think she's 13 or 14 in the bottom right corner!

Why no pictures with her current hair? Why no pictures with her nose piercing, a distinctive feature? (Aside from the 13/14yo one.) Why so few pictures?

I hope this doesn't sound accusatory--it's not meant to be--but if I were the stepmother, I think I'd be posting as many, and as recent, pictures as I could. Not trying to insinuate suspicious behavior; I'm not and never have been in her position. I'd just like to know what Karlie actually looks like at the moment.

If I were to try and fit this into the eating disorder/substance use*/mental illness theory I've been talking about...she's a stunning girl, but maybe she hasn't been at her most photogenic of late, YKWIM?

*We've been told that she smoked marijuana the night before, yes? Not that this means she'd had a drug problem before, of course.

Last edited:
Smoking marijuana isn’t really signs of a drug problem at all. Loads of teens smoke it here in the UK at parties and stuff and they have no other issues.

I can imagine marijuana smoking and drinking is rife where Karlie lives amongst her age group. I spent time as a teen living in a rural place and most of the kids hate it and are dying to hit 18 and leave for university as it’s so boring. Where Karlie lives literally looks like the middle of nowhere so I can imagine there’s little else to do but hang about drinking and smoking.

Smoking marijuana isn’t really signs of a drug problem at all. Loads of teens smoke it here in the UK at parties and stuff and they have no other issues.

Oh yeah, no, for sure. Weed was so prevalent at my (Coloradoan) high school, sometimes I almost forget that it's a drug. I wanna say something like 25-50% of American teens smoke it. Not a big deal. That's why I had to clarify that obviously Karlie didn't have a drug problem just because she smoked pot at a party. All it would indicate is that she wasn't utterly opposed to drug use.

Perhaps this isn't actually odd, but why do we keep seeing the same couple photos of Karlie over and over again when they aren't even recent? Her hair is dark blonde now (and I don't remember where I heard this, but if I remember correctly, it's shorter now too). It's in the sheriff's report; her stepmother mentioned it.

But in the school picture with the blue background and the sunlit car photo, her hair is dark brown and long. And in the collage in this article, most if not all of the other pictures look older than the blue school photo, IMO. I think she's 13 or 14 in the bottom right corner!

Why no pictures with her current hair? Why no pictures with her nose piercing, a distinctive feature? (Aside from the 13/14yo one.) Why so few pictures?

I hope this doesn't sound accusatory--it's not meant to be--but if I were the stepmother, I think I'd be posting as many, and as recent, pictures as I could. Not trying to insinuate suspicious behavior; I'm not and never have been in her position. I'd just like to know what Karlie actually looks like at the moment.

If I were to try and fit this into the eating disorder/substance use*/mental illness theory I've been talking about...she's a stunning girl, but maybe she hasn't been at her most photogenic of late, YKWIM?

*We've been told that she smoked marijuana the night before, yes? Not that this means she'd had a drug problem before, of course.

The problem is with all those "synthetic" marijuana's out there who knows what was really smoked. They have a very different reaction than the old mj of the 70's. Think of Demi Moore and her 911 call.

The problem is with all those "synthetic" marijuana's out there who knows what was really smoked. They have a very different reaction than the old mj of the 70's. Think of Demi Moore and her 911 call.

Very true...yikes...

Just got caught up on this one. I'm not hearing anything from the Father. Where is he in all of this? I'm not understanding why the Stepmother is out front on this.

I also am perplexed why all the kids would be woken up at 5:45 am by the Stepmother and then off she goes back to bed. That makes no sense to me.

We are missing crucial information here. The scenario being floated is opening up more questions that may, or may not, be heading in a certain direction.

This is another one where I'm going to have to sit on my hands for a while. MOO

I learned that Karlie's last name is pronounced "goo-say"; when I first read the story I thought it sounded like "under the guise of...". I need to stop reading the SM posts about this one. People copy/pasting chats and making vague references/accusations including her family. It seems that some people care more about making sure everyone knows Karlie's disappearance wasn't their fault than just finding the girl.

I wonder who Nancy Grace is speaking with. If it will be the mother or step-mother. You'd hope that both would just lay down any conflict they have and band together to say please help bring our girl home.

I'm getting a feeling like maybe stepmom gave her something to sleep to help with the anxiety and, well, being up all night. Maybe an Ambien?

And this isn't really accusatory. Having dealt with a teenage daughter with severe anxiety, who frequently keeps me up all night dealing with it, I know I might be tempted to give her something. Luckily, she has her own prescription medication to help with that, but if she didn't, and I had some Ambien?...I'm not sure that I would make the best choice. You get desperate after awhile.

Anyway, if she did give Karlie something like that then one, it would explain her wandering off and being disoriented, and two, I doubt stepmom would want to be public with that information.

As for what happened after that...i think it's possible she was hit by someone under the influence, who instead of going to prison for killing her, chose to take her somewhere even more remote and leave her body.

BBM
I'm convinced this is what happened. The night before my SATs my mom gave me an Ambien because I was having horrible anxiety and I could not sleep which was making the anxiety even worse. I had never taken it before but both my parents had prescriptions at the time and take it from time to time with no issues. My mom found me at 2 am downstairs on the family desktop computer trying to use Instant Messenger. I also still to this day can see the image of a little girl sitting on the floor in the corner of the room (wasn't there- I was hallucinating). I think it is completely possible step mom gave KG something to help her sleep, anything- prescription or not, and KG had a bad reaction to it and wandered out of the house-not knowing what she was doing, almost like in a trance/sleep walking.

BBM
I'm convinced this is what happened. The night before my SATs my mom gave me an Ambien because I was having horrible anxiety and I could not sleep which was making the anxiety even worse. I had never taken it before but both my parents had prescriptions at the time and take it from time to time with no issues. My mom found me at 2 am downstairs on the family desktop computer trying to use Instant Messenger. I also still to this day can see the image of a little girl sitting on the floor in the corner of the room (wasn't there- I was hallucinating). I think it is completely possible step mom gave KG something to help her sleep, anything- prescription or not, and KG had a bad reaction to it and wandered out of the house-not knowing what she was doing, almost like in a trance/sleep walking.
Yeah, my husband would tell me about complete conversations we had that I didnt remember.

I also had a couple of walkabouts... that's when I stopped taking it.

Not knowing Karlie, this is just me relating my own experience.

I don't have a single picture of my daughter taken in the past 5 to 6 years. (Aside from her school picture). She absolutely refuses to let anyone take her picture. I'm told by her psychiatrist that this is typical behavior for teens with anxiety disorders. Maybe that's the case with Karlie.

Not knowing Karlie, this is just me relating my own experience.

I don't have a single picture of my daughter taken in the past 5 to 6 years. (Aside from her school picture). She absolutely refuses to let anyone take her picture. I'm told by her psychiatrist that this is typical behavior for teens with anxiety disorders. Maybe that's the case with Karlie.

I think it's pretty common teen behaviour full stop to not let parents take your photo, admittedly I'm not a parent though so I'm only going off experience with a younger sister here.

Once my sister got to about 14 years old she wouldn't let my mum put up any pictures of her if it hadn't been "approved" first. My mum would have to take so many photos before she'd find one acceptable so she stopped bothering in most cases.

With social media being so prominent, I just think there's such a huge expectation on teenage girls these days to look what they see as "perfect". You take a bad photo in 1998 then it just got put away in the photo album and your family might take it out for a laugh occasionally. Your mum posts a bad photo of you on Facebook in 2018 then potentially the whole school sees it.

Nancy Grace podcast is up, but I'm having issues following it. There was a conversation with the Karlie's bio mother that said the step-mom received a call from Karlie asking her to come pick her up from her boyfriend's house, she was scared, and to hurry. It cut off before Karlie's BM said what Karlie was supposedly afraid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase