Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be cautious about giving a lot of credence to this publication. They are considered a tabloid and are known to print things that don’t hold up to fact-checking. Some of these quotes we haven’t seen before.

The link I posted ends with:
This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission
Originally published as Panic as teenager vanishes after attending campground party

So she did lie to her mother, telling her she was the DD all the while planning to get drunk? And after she was drunk she still planned on driving home and driving Sami home? Sigh.

Also, what happened to the person Kiely drove to the party? How did that person get home? jmo
Kiely didnt drive anyone to the party

No, that publication is Aussie MSM. Not one of our tabloids. But I think the article is running with things it has read in US media (including a tabloid, The Sun).

This is The Sun article it took a quite or two from .. things said by SS and MB.

It may be MSM, but the source I linked, which rates accuracy and bias, referred to it as a tabloid and not always factual. Same with the Sun U.S. I’m just urging caution in what we accept as fact from those sources.

The content of the new info makes sense. Not something you will publicly say right away, because honestly...people grasp onto the very first thing they can to start placing total blame on the victim, the whole "well I or my kids would never, so we are safe" type thing.

Alot of us did stupid, jaw dropping crap as teens and as college aged adults. Some of us perhaps extended that to our mid 20s, but I plead the fifth here. Stuff that if I had a kid...I'd be leaning towards over protective

What's a total shame is when lives end because of mess ups. Because tragedies could have honestly befallen quite a few of us, had we come across the wrong person or just one night of a different set of decisions and bad luck.

Just something to keep in mind.

Just catching up with this case. I’m assuming with that many people at the party, there would surely be many vehicles there too?

I was just wondering if she was highly intoxicated, wouldn’t it be difficult to maneuver out of that situation. Also, maybe someone had to move some vehicles to even let her get out. Yet, no one has come forward with when she actually left and no one knows exactly how she left?

I’m leaning toward this being a terrible accident, but I suppose anything is possible. I’ve been wrong before on these cases. I just hope they find her soon.

So she did lie to her mother, telling her she was the DD all the while planning to get drunk? And after she was drunk she still planned on driving home and driving Sami home? Sigh.

Also, what happened to the person Kiely drove to the party? How did that person get home? jmo girl Kiely drove to the party
The girl Kiely drove to the party, left shorty after arriving - with her boyfriend. The girls drove there together because they had been hanging out earlier in the day (Mags). This is per Sami -

IMO this will not end well.

A lot of resources and nothing so far so IMO this means that Kiely is not too close to where she was last seen.

The 2 most likely scenarios are car accident or murdered.

I hope I am wrong though.
My instincts also tell me it's a "car accident."

Based on what witnesses have said thus far (which is all we really have to go on), her phone pinged at 12:33am and went dead (untracable?) soon (?) after. No one has said which tower the phone pinged off of. However, you can drive pretty far in 25 minutes, according to smappen.

If I am going to pick the "plausible" out of the "possible," it seems more "plausible" that the phone becoming untracable is due to excessive water damage.

In case this was not already included. Here is the route Kiely would have driven to get home from the party.

View attachment 358723

The problem with that route is you have to get onto busy I-80 with all the truck traffice and CHP about.

Most locals would take Alder Creek Road through Tahoe Donner to Northwood, which crosses the freeway and avoids possible traffic and CHP, favoring surface streets over the freeway

My instincts also tell me it's a "car accident."

Based on what witnesses have said thus far (which is all we really have to go on), her phone pinged at 12:33am and went dead (untracable?) soon (?) after. No one has said which tower the phone pinged off of. However, you can drive pretty far in 25 minutes, according to smappen.

If I am going to pick the "plausible" out of the "possible," it seems more "plausible" that the phone becoming untracable is due to excessive water damage.
So where do you think it's plausible she went into the water at?

I wonder what the big deal was for out of towners to drive to this party?

“Hey, come to our party - we’re going to stand around in the woods with our hands in our pockets and hang out?”

I’d like to see a screenshot of the post that got it to draw that

Welcome to Websleuths,
@SnafuBar !!
:cool:
Thank you so much, borndem!

As they say in talk radio, "Long time listener, first time caller."

The girl Kiely drove to the party, left shorty after arriving - with her boyfriend. The girls drove there together because they had been hanging out earlier in the day (Mags). This is per Sami -
Anna Larson – whose daughter, Mags, is Kiely's best friend and accompanied her to the party – told KCBS Radio the grassroots effort to find the teenager includes "an army of volunteers" working behind the scenes to find her. "Everybody's coming," Larson said in a phone interview on Monday afternoon. "The parents, children, people from out of town that are a little familiar with how to organize things and deal with this sort of situation."

"Not only that my dear friend's daughter and my daughter's best friend is missing, but just a daughter (and) young woman in our community," Larson said, fighting back tears. "It's the kind of story you hear and you…know that horrific things happen and you just hope to never be touched by them. Now here we are."

So where do you think it's plausible she went into the water at?
I've seen other cases where cars ended up taking a wrong turn at night and went into water from boat ramps.

So that would be the first place that makes sense to me. There wouldn't necessarily be any signs or evidence of an accident in that event, either...no offroad tire tracks, skid marks, damaged rails, trees, etc.

Any and all boat ramp areas really need to be searched. Glad to hear that it sounds like they were at one today.

JMO.

Last edited:
I tried to put together a timeline of known details with sources, as well as some of the direct quotes about her state from various friends. I hope the format works...
DateTimeActionDetailLink
8/5/2221:45Kiely arrives to partySamantha Smith reportedThe Independent
8/5/22Attends Party“We have been close friends since before, so we ended up meeting up with each other, sort of screaming to each other ‘Hi!’ For the rest of the party we pretty much stuck to each other,” Samantha told The Independent. But as the gathering grew bigger, the teenagers went separate ways while continuing to see each other sporadically throughout the party.

“I knew it was a big party but it was supposed to be just the community …The party started to grow past the [number] of people that were supposed to be there,” Samantha said.

“There were college kids and people from the Bay area coming and I got a bad feeling about it but didn’t really think much of it.”
The Independent
Witnesses and law enforcement say there were anywhere from 200 to 250 teenagers and young adults in attendance.KCRA
There were 200-300 juveniles at the party, which was in a wooded area, Musallam said in a news conference Tuesday, and "someone knows something."CNN
Smith, 18, said that there were plenty of attendees whom she had not previously met but none who seemed suspicious, gave unwanted attention or followed the pair around.

She said she didn’t notice anyone much older and that the party consisted mainly of teens, recent graduates and some college students from the surrounding areas. Some came from as far away as San Francisco, she said, but that was not unusual because the area is a summer vacation town.
"We met a few strangers together," she said. "We both tended to trust people. I say ‘tended to’ because now I don’t think I will continue to trust people. But she’ll give anyone the benefit of the doubt."
Fox News Digital
Rodni's friend, Sami Smith, was with her most of the night. She said that Rodni was planning to spend the night at the campground.CBS Sacramento
Rodni had enough drinks to become drunk, according to her friend and another recent graduate, Sami Smith, who added that she did not believe the teen would have driven under the circumstances.

"At the point when I left, I thought she was going to stay there," said Smith, who departed the campground just a few minutes before Rodni was last seen. "Everybody was camping. It was late enough that she should have stayed. She’s not the type to go and drunk drive or anything."

"For the amount of drinks we both had together, she’s not that dumb," she added. "I remember we were partying together. She was having fun. She seemed really happy — she was like normal, just on an adrenaline rush. Saying ‘Hi’ to everybody.
Fox News Digital
8/5/2223:00Charges Phone in CarSamantha said that around 11pm, they went to Kiely’s car to charge their phones and arranged for Kiely to give her a ride home. However, she changed her mind later when she saw that Kiely was clearly intoxicated, Samantha said.The Independent
8/6/220:15Texts MotherBut Rodni-Nieman says her daughter texted her around 12:15 a.m. Saturday and said she was heading home. The family lives about 10 miles away from the campground at a lodge south of town.Fox News Digital
8/6/220:25Kiely says goodbye to SamanthaThe teenagers said goodbye to each other around 12.25amThe Independent
8/6/220:36Phone Call to Samantha Smith“At 12.36am she called me … and this is the last call anybody had with her. We said ‘love you, good night. Get home safe,’ and that’s the last thing we heard of her,” Samantha said on Monday.
-
A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told The Independent on Monday that the department could not confirm whether Samantha was the last person to speak Kiely, but said that shortly after midnight her phone was turned off.
The Independent
8/6/22After 12:30 pmSeen wandering around partyNo source or detailsThe Independent
n/an/aStatements & speculation from friends“We have reason to believe she might’ve left that party spot to go to another campground with a smaller group of people,” said Marika Veck. “All signs point that somebody took her and probably drugged her and has her.”KOLOTV
Smith said Kiely had been planning to spend the night at the campground, according to the Associated Press.Reno Gazette Journal
Rodni’s friend Magdalene Larson who is one of the organizers said the oldest of two was not in the right stage to drive herself that day.

“We know there’s no way she could have gotten herself out of there if she was drunk,” she said. “The roads in and out are too hard. With how drunk she was she wouldn’t have been able to navigate them.”
KOLOTV
I know that she wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive. And if she were to have driven, she wouldn't have made it far, Smith said. "So my concern is that somebody might have offered to drive her home and then didn't take her home."CBS Sacramento
There are a flurry of online rumors but scant real clues in the case. Friends say Kiely intended to stay at the campground overnight, but they lost track of her in the large party. At least one witness says Kiely was too intoxicated to drive.SFGATE
8/6/22before 1:00amCell Phone Dies"Her cellphone went dead and became virtually untraceable shortly after," Angela Musallam, public information officer for the Placer County Sheriff's Office, told ABC News during an interview Monday.ABC News
8/6/229:00Scheduled to meet friendsDid not show up at meet spot to go on hike with friendsThe Independent
8/6/2218:26Search UpdateHours before the statement session, about 280 volunteers gathered at the TCRC for a search.KOLOTV
8/6/2217:41Missing Flyer Posted to FacebookFacebook - Placer Sheriff
8/7/2218:03Tip Line SetupFacebook - Placer Sheriff
8/8/2215:28Reward OfferedAn anonymous tip line has been established and a $50,000 reward is being offered to help find Kiely Rodni.KRCA
8/8/2214:30Law Enforcement Statement"the Placer County Sheriff's Office said. It's possible she may have been abducted, the sheriff's office told FOX40"SFGATE
8/8/2214:30Search UpdateAbout 50 FBI agents on Tuesday were in the area following up on leads.
More than 200 tips have been submitted, and investigators on Tuesday were pleading for more.
Sacramento Bee
8/9/2213:30Search Update"Prosser has been exhaustingly searched," both on the ground and in the Prosser Creek Reservoir nearby. (Samantha Smith)Reno Gazette Journal
8/9/2216:44Law Enforcement Update"Detectives are currently following up on leads and our Falcon 30 helicopter is assisting the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office with the search for Kiely. Our air operations crew will be flying over the Interstate 80 corridor between Donner Summit and the Nevada state line, and will continue searching around the Prosser Lake area."Facebook - Placer Sheriff
8/9/2211:59Law Enforcement Update77 Personel Assigned, 528 Dedicated Personnel Hours, 3 Air Resources, >100 Tips received from 8/6-8/8Facebook - Placer Sheriff
8/9/2214:09Search UpdateThe search also included several aircraft, including helicopters and airplanes flying in formation above, and all-terrain vehicles, including four-wheelers, trikes and dirt bikes. There were search dogs present and at least 100 members of law enforcement visible, including members of the FBI, who initially focused their attention on Campsite 4.Fox News Digital
8/9/2215:00Search UpdateThe Placer County Sheriff's Office is currently coordinating with the California Highway Patrol, Truckee police, FBI, and the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office as they continue their search for the teen.KRCA
8/9/2214:00Search UpdatePolice dive teams have joined the hunt for missing California teen Kiely Rodni, DailyMail.com can reveal. Exclusive DailyMail.com photos show police boats and helicopters searching the Prosser Creek Reservoir, a 760-acre stretch of water directly beneath the campground where Kiely was last seen.Daily Mail
This is excellent! BAM!!!

Went on my run and basically did a quick tour of where some of these sites are. Beautiful 6 mile run.... basically my backyard.

This is where the kids were camping. There were fire scars in the dirt. I don't know if was from them?!?IMG_1505 (2).jpegIMG_1504 (2).jpeg
IMG_1507 (2).jpeg

This one of the dirt roads to get to the campsite
IMG_1499 (2).jpeg

For reference, this is the Family Campground

IMG_1495 (2).jpeg

This the access to the boat ramp.

IMG_1492 (2).jpeg

IMG_1491 (2).jpeg

Views of the Water from the boat Ramp area

IMG_1490 (2).jpeg

IMG_1490 (2).jpeg

IMG_1485 (2).jpeg

Finally the view of Prosser before I enter back into my hood

IMG_1509 (2).jpeg

Went on my run and basically did a quick tour of where some of these sites are. Beautiful 6 mile run.... basically my backyard.

This is where the kids were camping. There were fire scars in the dirt. I don't know if was from them?!?View attachment 358731View attachment 358732
View attachment 358730

This one of the dirt roads to get to the campsite
View attachment 358733

For reference, this is the Family Campground

View attachment 358734

This the access to the boat ramp.

View attachment 358735

View attachment 358736

Views of the Water from the boat Ramp area

View attachment 358737

View attachment 358737

View attachment 358738

Finally the view of Prosser before I enter back into my hood

View attachment 358729
Wow, what a beautiful place, for something so horribly tragic to possibly have occurred in. Thank you for your "running shoes" on the ground report!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member