Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed something, SS says after charging she tries to find a lift home, this will be right around the time KR messages her mum about extending curfew. Why is SS looking for a lift if at this time KR is still planning on driving back home ?

I wonder if someone else used KRs phone to text to KRs mother in order to extend her curfew while providing them with more time as they made other decisions on what to do next; ie, such as shutting off KRs phone.

Perhaps something serious happened to Kiely while they were inside her car allegedly "charging KRs phone".

Hi all. It’s been forever since I’ve posted here, but this is another story near and dear to my heart and location. I’ve read through most of this forum, and am astounded again at the intelligence and resources this site attracts. Here are my thoughts, building off what you all have written and my own experiences as a teen and now a mother of teens.

I believe KR was inebriated, but I don’t think she was wasted/blackout drunk/slurring her words/unable to make decisions about her safety and strangers. Her friends probably rightfully believed she was too drunk to drive, so they found sober drives home. But I think teen opinions about “she couldn’t have made it very far” have to be weighed with their own inexperience. The reason I don’t think she was too incapacitated is because she spoke on the phone with her mom at 11:30. Her mom believed she was the designated driver. I can tell when my 17 yo son is under the influence of anything, even if it’s just barely. He sounds overly reassuring, hesitant speech, etc. I think if KR’s mom heard anything in her voice that sounded off, knowing she’s the DD for other teens, she would have said “Nope, I’m coming over to pick you up right now. You sound funny and I don’t want you driving home.” So, KR must have been sober enough to pull off a phone call asking for a curfew extension.

She’s at a party with her high school graduating class. People know her, even if they’re not in the same social group. They know she’s got a boyfriend. I’m pretty sure if she were seen alone with a strange guy or with a group of strange guys at the end of the party or near her car, tongues would have been wagging. People would have noticed. So, I don’t think this happened.

Once she calls her mom, she’s on borrowed time. Her mom asks her to wake her up when she gets home, so she might be able to get away with being a little bit later than she said since her mom’s asleep. But she also doesn’t want her mom waking up at 3am and freaking out because she’s not home yet. If she was still at the party at 12:36, she’s already pushing the extended curfew.

I think at 12:36, she’s walking to her car to leave. She’s pretty sure she can leave without Sami, but because she’s intoxicated and maybe confused about their last exchange, and because she doesn’t want to accidentally leave Sami without a ride, she calls to make sure - “What’s going on? Do you still need a ride?” “Nope, we’re all good.” “Okay, love you, see you tomorrow!”

I think maybe we’re not hearing from other witnesses because there was nothing to see or add. Yes, we saw her there. No, we didn’t see her with anyone else and we didn’t see her leave.

I don’t see her being so drunk that she allowed some random guy hanging out by her car to drive her anywhere. The idea that she went to an after-party makes great sense, and is absolutely what I did as a teen. But not on nights I was expected home, and not with people I didn’t know, and not when I had early morning plans, and not if my phone were dead.

If KR did plan to go to an after-party, the first thing she likely would have done is either charged her phone on the way or at the party house when she got there. Because in case her mom called to find out where she is, she would need to explain that she’s delayed because she’s giving other people rides home, or some other cover. Charging her phone and driving, or being at a location charging her phone, would have caused pings. If she didn’t plug in her phone once in the car and keep it turned on, it’s probably because she planned to head straight home and didn’t need it. Based on how smart and resourceful she sounds, she wouldn’t have allowed a situation where her mom might wake up at 2 or 3am and send out an APB to all her friends because she’s not home yet and her phone is going straight to vm.

Even if something nefarious did happen at an after party, I agree with what another poster said. Someone would have talked by now. Some teens talk for the right reasons, because it’s weighing in them and they didn’t do anything wrong. Some teens talk for the wrong reasons, to look like the hero and get attention even if they were partly to blame. But they do talk.

It sounds like LE are not searching extensively on the side of I-80 where her house is. So I’m thinking they’ve checked the available surveillance cams around the few business sections/intersections where she might have crossed the freeway and didn’t see her car that night. That would mean an abduction leading to the interstate, or her making it further than the interstate on her own, are both unlikely.

Finally, silver cars have got to be hard to spot in brush and forested areas. And there are lots of areas where she could have swerved off the road to avoid wildlife or because she was inebriated. But I think she’s still in that area somewhere.
don't know about you guys but I never made curfew...having said that I made it home sooner or later.... thank God. Kiely seems like a sweet girl telling her mom she loves her....not a candidate to run away...I believe Kiely had every intention of making it home that night.

Hi all. It’s been forever since I’ve posted here, but this is another story near and dear to my heart and location. I’ve read through most of this forum, and am astounded again at the intelligence and resources this site attracts. Here are my thoughts, building off what you all have written and my own experiences as a teen and now a mother of teens.

I believe KR was inebriated, but I don’t think she was wasted/blackout drunk/slurring her words/unable to make decisions about her safety and strangers. Her friends probably rightfully believed she was too drunk to drive, so they found sober drives home. But I think teen opinions about “she couldn’t have made it very far” have to be weighed with their own inexperience. The reason I don’t think she was too incapacitated is because she spoke on the phone with her mom at 11:30. Her mom believed she was the designated driver. I can tell when my 17 yo son is under the influence of anything, even if it’s just barely. He sounds overly reassuring, hesitant speech, etc. I think if KR’s mom heard anything in her voice that sounded off, knowing she’s the DD for other teens, she would have said “Nope, I’m coming over to pick you up right now. You sound funny and I don’t want you driving home.” So, KR must have been sober enough to pull off a phone call asking for a curfew extension.

She’s at a party with her high school graduating class. People know her, even if they’re not in the same social group. They know she’s got a boyfriend. I’m pretty sure if she were seen alone with a strange guy or with a group of strange guys at the end of the party or near her car, tongues would have been wagging. People would have noticed. So, I don’t think this happened.

Once she calls her mom, she’s on borrowed time. Her mom asks her to wake her up when she gets home, so she might be able to get away with being a little bit later than she said since her mom’s asleep. But she also doesn’t want her mom waking up at 3am and freaking out because she’s not home yet. If she was still at the party at 12:36, she’s already pushing the extended curfew.

I think at 12:36, she’s walking to her car to leave. She’s pretty sure she can leave without Sami, but because she’s intoxicated and maybe confused about their last exchange, and because she doesn’t want to accidentally leave Sami without a ride, she calls to make sure - “What’s going on? Do you still need a ride?” “Nope, we’re all good.” “Okay, love you, see you tomorrow!”

I think maybe we’re not hearing from other witnesses because there was nothing to see or add. Yes, we saw her there. No, we didn’t see her with anyone else and we didn’t see her leave.

I don’t see her being so drunk that she allowed some random guy hanging out by her car to drive her anywhere. The idea that she went to an after-party makes great sense, and is absolutely what I did as a teen. But not on nights I was expected home, and not with people I didn’t know, and not when I had early morning plans, and not if my phone were dead.

If KR did plan to go to an after-party, the first thing she likely would have done is either charged her phone on the way or at the party house when she got there. Because in case her mom called to find out where she is, she would need to explain that she’s delayed because she’s giving other people rides home, or some other cover. Charging her phone and driving, or being at a location charging her phone, would have caused pings. If she didn’t plug in her phone once in the car and keep it turned on, it’s probably because she planned to head straight home and didn’t need it. Based on how smart and resourceful she sounds, she wouldn’t have allowed a situation where her mom might wake up at 2 or 3am and send out an APB to all her friends because she’s not home yet and her phone is going straight to vm.

Even if something nefarious did happen at an after party, I agree with what another poster said. Someone would have talked by now. Some teens talk for the right reasons, because it’s weighing in them and they didn’t do anything wrong. Some teens talk for the wrong reasons, to look like the hero and get attention even if they were partly to blame. But they do talk.

It sounds like LE are not searching extensively on the side of I-80 where her house is. So I’m thinking they’ve checked the available surveillance cams around the few business sections/intersections where she might have crossed the freeway and didn’t see her car that night. That would mean an abduction leading to the interstate, or her making it further than the interstate on her own, are both unlikely.

Finally, silver cars have got to be hard to spot in brush and forested areas. And there are lots of areas where she could have swerved off the road to avoid wildlife or because she was inebriated. But I think she’s still in that area somewhere.

The longer they go without finding her, and the fact they are hard focused on searching the campground and water has me believing more and more that she'll be found there.

The longer they go without finding her, and the fact they are hard focused on searching the campground and water has me believing more and more that she'll be found there.
We sure hope so. But they've done such extensive searches there - what makes you so sure she'll be found there? Do you know if they've written off anymore water searches with divers and sonar, or are they still taking place in the reservoir?

Hmmm so the dog was buried near the campground but SAR just found the site last night?
Iwonder how close it was to the campground. Was it an area previously searched? Did they miss it the first time? Did someone bury a dog there this past week after the area was searched?
Even with the massive search effort, *if* the dog was buried near the campground this whole time and no one found the burial location until yesterday, what else could have been passed over? If this is the case, it goes to show that even if they don't find traces of KR, it doesn't mean they aren't there.
I'm very curious to know where this location is in conjunction to the last known location of KR.
All MOO
(Also, I'm in no way bashing the search efforts - everyone out there seems to be doing an incredible job.)

We sure hope so. But they've done such extensive searches there - what makes you so sure she'll be found there? Do you know if they've written off anymore water searches with divers and sonar, or are they still taking place in the reservoir?

My thinking....the police still aren't classifying this as an abduction. And I think there would have been more evidence that she drove out of there by now - even with the ten hour late start on the search (between the time she was last seen and the time she was reported missing). The police might be begging people to come forward with tips but make no doubt they are interviewing people nonetheless.

Then add the terrain; the massive amount of ground, cliffs and waterways they need to cover in the search. It took authorities 3 weeks to find Phillip Kreycik on the Pleasanton Ridge, and eventually they found him a couple hundred yards from the trail.

I actually hope I'm wrong because then there is more of a chance she's still alive if she isn't still near the campground.

if you watch today's press conference, there is some focus on the details of the water searches.
Essentially the body of water they are focusing on is Prosser. It kind of sounded like they only were using sonar and surface swimmers until today, when they brought in the dive teams, but I'm not entirely sure if he meant today was the first dives. He said they didn't want divers potentially burying evidence on the bottom by stirring up silt, before sonar and surface swimmers could be used. This is also where that other county comes in that someone was mentioning up thread (Alameda?). Sounds like their dive team is assisting, amongst other agencies from all around.
He said visibility down there is like diving blind, and that at the deepest it's over 50ft deep. Couldn't tell if he was saying the SONAR can't reach the bottom, or they physically just hadn't seen the bottom yet.

Members of the public assisted with searches near the campground on Saturday morning. Between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. PT on Saturday, the Placer County community is hosting an event called "Kountry for Kiely," which will include music and a fundraiser for Rodni's family, at the Truckee Regional Park.

Rodni was last seen at the 300-person, end-of-summer high school party at Prosser that stretched from Friday night into the early hours of Saturday. Police said she last spoke with friends and family shortly after midnight on Aug. 6 and that her phone was turned off around 12:33 a.m.
*How did SS speak with KR at 12:36 if phone went silent at 12:33?

*eta:
A press conference will be held at 2 p.m. at the Truckee-Donner Recreation & Park District at 10981 Truckee Way, in Truckee. There will be no community meeting held today.
You always have such insightful posts. I have been thinking about the discrepancy in the phone call times (12:33 v. 12:36) and was wondering if one of the phones had the time set manually, rather than automatically. For example, SS may not have had her phone settings as “set automatically.” In the iPhone, one can manually adjust the time in settings (settings—->general—->date and time) and SS’s call log would reflect a different time than KR’s phone records. Just a thought.

I’d be incredibly interested in where SS’s phone pinged during that call and whether the person she was with at that time could corroborate her story.

Hmmm so the dog was buried near the campground but SAR just found the site last night?
Iwonder how close it was to the campground. Was it an area previously searched? Did they miss it the first time? Did someone bury a dog there this past week after the area was searched?
Even with the massive search effort, *if* the dog was buried near the campground this whole time and no one found the burial location until yesterday, what else could have been passed over? If this is the case, it goes to show that even if they don't find traces of KR, it doesn't mean they aren't there.
I'm very curious to know where this location is in conjunction to the last known location of KR.
All MOO
(Also, I'm in no way bashing the search efforts - everyone out there seems to be doing an incredible job.)
If no evidence elsewhere is found at all within the next few weeks, that's what I'm thinking.
From what sonar search groups on youtube say of their experience, a fresh car is harder to spot underwater than an older one, and on a slope against the bank they are also harder to spot. With both those conditions combined and if the water is really deep, maybe it is possible they'd miss it.
Still would be surprised at that outcome with all the equipment they have available to them, but maybe they also don't get to use it that often? I don't know. Likely not as often as those groups do, since it's their main focus.
(MOO)

A bit about Donner Pass, from an East Coaster who has never been there...
-------------------------------
Donner Pass is a 7,056-foot-high mountain pass in the northern Sierra Nevada, above Donner Lake and Donner Memorial State Park about 9 miles west of Truckee, California. Like the Sierra Nevada themselves, the pass has a steep approach from the east and a gradual approach from the west. Wikipedia
Elevation: 7,057′
Range: Sierra Nevada
Road: Lincoln Highway, U.S. 40, Interstate 80 in California

From what sonar search groups on youtube say of their experience, a fresh car is harder to spot underwater than an older one
SBM.

Is this really correct?

I would have thought that an older car underwater for a long time would be rusty, covered with algae and lake silt etc. and not be seen as easily as a newly submerged shiny car which would reflect light and sonar waves better.

MOO.

IMO, it still seems very, very likely that this was a car accident and they just haven't found her yet.

The information we have is that she was drunk and/or high after midnight, and she told both her friend and her mom that she was planning to drive home soon. Right after she last talked to her friend, her phone stopped pinging and no one reports seeing her or her car again.

That's all totally consistent with her and the car going into the water somewhere close to the party or crashing on the way home in a cell reception dead zone. If she'd stayed at the party and something happened there later, I would have expected her phone to keep pinging in that location (she could have kept charging it in the car if it was low). If she'd driven somewhere else (afterparty, etc), I would expect the phone pings to show her driving there.

It is possible that her phone died exactly at the moment she got off the phone with SS and she never recharged it for some reason, but that seems far less likely to me.

if you watch today's press conference, there is some focus on the details of the water searches.
Essentially the body of water they are focusing on is Prosser. It kind of sounded like they only were using sonar and surface swimmers until today, when they brought in the dive teams, but I'm not entirely sure if he meant today was the first dives. He said they didn't want divers potentially burying evidence on the bottom by stirring up silt, before sonar and surface swimmers could be used. This is also where that other county comes in that someone was mentioning up thread (Alameda?). Sounds like their dive team is assisting, amongst other agencies from all around.
He said visibility down there is like diving blind, and that at the deepest it's over 50ft deep. Couldn't tell if he was saying the SONAR can't reach the bottom, or they physically just hadn't seen the bottom yet.
BBM

That makes sense. Alameda County borders San Francisco Bay, I'm sure they have a lot more experience with dive searches.

The event called, 'Kountry for Kiely" was about hope, community and keeping their spirits high.

"They say song is twice as loud as a prayer," said Jenni Charles, one of the performers.

"It's not just people coming together to have a party. It's because we are connected to her musically and we are playing her songs," Charles said. "We hope she can hear so that she knows we are going to find her soon."

"It's not just people coming together to have a party. It's because we are connected to her musically and we are playing her songs," Charles said. "We hope she can hear so that she knows we are going to find her soon."

Last edited:
It is possible that her phone died exactly at the moment she got off the phone with SS and she never recharged it for some reason, but that seems far less likely to me.

I read she lives about 12 miles from the campground. It's possible she was only focused on driving out of there (and scared out of her mind too) and wanting to get home, and that's why she didn't think to charge her phone.

Well, that’s not that hard to imagine. Somebody bought it and they hauled it in cars to the campsite - just like teenagers and young adults have been doing for decades.
Unless someone brought it to the party for her she was driving around with the alcohol. I know underage kids drink all the time and have access to alcohol, but it doesn't sound like she was really planning to be the DD if she also planned to get "Frickled up." There are two storylines.

Kiely said in her own words she planned to get "f*c£ed up" at the party, yet was also suppose to meet a friend at 9am the following morning at Starbucks in order to go camping!

Was getting f*c£ed up 'just talk'?

Or maybe she genuinely thought she could do both?

If she planned to get "f*c£ed up", she must have known there would be people there she'd be able to do it with.....she stayed after SS left, so she must've been with someone/other people. She must've known people at the party other than SS.

MOO.

You know how LE tells you to keep an eye out for a change in demeanor, suspicious activities, becoming a loner, etc. when they say a perp might be someone you know?

We have read here that adults are discouraging teens to give tips.

Locals, please be aware of changes in demeanor from adults/parents that you regularly associate with. Their teen/YA may have let them know they know something and are in protection mode..
I've seen several posts that mention "adults are discouraging teens to give tips". This is just absolutely unconscionable! I did my share of partying as a teen and I'm realistic to know that today's teens do the same - including my own. But I was raised - and I have raised my kids the same way - to always remember the difference between right and wrong, to know that you have to look out for those around you and speak up when the stakes are high. I cannot ever in a million years imagine encouraging my kids to keep quiet about something. I would tell them to keep their eyes and ears open and report anything that they even thought would be important. I would also encourage them - and would participate myself - in any searches for her.

And not to pat myself on the back, but my youngest son (who was a senior in high school) recently witnessed someone in a large truck pulling a flatbed trailer with a heavy piece of equipment on it driving very erratically and was concerned that they may cause an accident. Just as he went to call 911, the truck swerved into the left lane and drove OVER the hood of a car and kept going as if nothing happened. My son (who was on his way to work) stayed on the phone with 911 and continued to follow the truck so he could keep police aware of where the truck was. He said he noticed other people pull over to help the driver so that was why he kept following the truck. The police were finally able to stop the truck - after about 5 miles - and the driver of the car fortunately only had minor injuries. I was very proud of my son!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668