Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was part of the description of the car, I believe LE also provided that detail of the CRV in their postings as well.
Yeah but it's just kind of odd that this would have stood out to a witness (or LE if they mentioned it).

Not to belabor the point but all Hondas have Honda badging all over the place. What would have been distinctive would have been if some kind of after-market wheels or hubcaps were noticed.

Kind of like adding that it had a CRV badge on the rear hatchback which 99.9% of all Honda CRVs have.

Maybe I'm getting too nitpicky. LOL

Hm, if they were all charging their phones at her car, does that mean she was running the engine? And does that mean she might have been low on gas and gone to look for an open station before she drove home?

I was wondering about that sort of thing—also, if there’s a possibility that her phone only got a minimal charge, if she didn’t like just leaving her car idling forever.

And of course, maybe her Honda model charges when the engine is off—I think some cars do.

Something I should probably know but don't - do KRs parents own, manage or rent a unit in the Lodge?
I looked at the real estate listing trying to sell the lodge and the rental listing that offers the lodge for rent. both are 4 bedrooms. for that reason, my guess is that the family lives nearby but not in the lodge.

This bothers me:
SS about last call and when Kiely’s phone suddenly simultaneously registered last ping just as the call ended.
She said to the effect- she asked if I needed a ride. I reminded her that no, I did not, I was on my way home out on the highway. We told each other we loved each other. Bye.
She did not say OMG I could not understand her speech- she was slurring her words so much she was out of it!
Nope. Nothing to that effect.
Another day and still no Kiely. I am happy to learn that AWP will be joining the search soon, they are truly doing God’s work, IMO.

Many moons ago, (a time well before cell phones) a friend of mine went missing. We live in a very small, rural town where everybody knows everybody.

Long story short, family, friends, and LE spent 3 days searching the route she would have traveled, as well as, other things. We found absolutely nothing. Rumors swirled of course, but the people who knew her, knew she wouldn’t just run away or leave.

At the end of the third day around dusk, in an area previously searched, a passerby noticed her laying in grass at the edge of the roadway. It was a MIRACLE that she had survived. She had wrecked in a curve in an area that was surrounded by dense woods on both sides. The car flipped numerous times and became suspended between two trees high above the ground. Many people searched this area, but none of them ever looked UP. She had been trapped in her car and in and out of consciousness for most of the time. On the third day, she knew she had to do something. It took her hours just to crawl the 160 ft. To the roadway where she was seen by a passerby.

She was very banged up, with lots of broken bones and has had several surgeries since then, but is doing very well now.

I said this to say, I wonder if something like this could’ve happened to Kiely? If searchers were on the ground, maybe they missed her? Helicopters would not be able to see from above if the vehicle is covered by trees. I’m still of the belief that she’s in water or a situation like the story above. JMO.
Honestly that’s been my first thought from the beginning. I live in a rural area with lots of public lands. There’s a mountain you can drive up, lots of dirt roads. Not even as rugged as that area. Yet there have been fairly frequent incidents where accidents aren’t discovered for an extended period of time. Particularly in mid summer when everything is at maximum growth. A new driver alone, late at night, some level of intoxication, dark unlit roads.IMOO

SS said in one of her interviews that there were a ”few” other “friends” in the car with her and Kiely when they went to charge their phones, etc. This comment definitely raised a red flag for me. Who were these “friends?” I’m sure LE is on it.
Good point.

SS also mentions the party was made up mostly of local students. Then probably because of social media(my reference to social media is just my theory) uninvited outsiders began to show up.

In fact she makes a reference to the book ‘Lord of the Flies’. To me it sounded like the party goers behavior quickly took on a chaotic revelry whereby rough crude behavior quickly morphed into the new normal.

I hope and pray that there was someone there who stood her friend and no predatory attendees were able to isolate her.

Just My Opinion

Kiely's phone is gone.. But I'm curious to know what distance between her phone and SS at the time of the last call.. and a few minutes after the last phone ping.
I just sent an email to the sheriff's office regarding a potential method of identifying who was in proximity to Kiely using the Covid-19 Exposure/Contact Tracing API which uses bluetooth and can work without any cell phone reception.

Here's what I said in the email:
The contact tracing system for iPhone and Android, both opt-in, automatically swap unique keys via bluetooth with anyone else who opted in to the contact tracing system. You should be able to identify Kiely's unique key using any combination of key logs from people who were at the party that night assuming she was opted into the exposure notification system. If the keys rotate, you should still be able to identify which is Kiely's based on knowledge of who the other keys belong to.

If you check exposure logs and see Kiely's code in any of the logs from other phones from that night, you can get a pretty significantly more accurate reading of where she was at any given time. If I recall correctly, the parameter for key swap is something like bluetooth connection within 30 feet radius for 15+ minutes.

If you would like a more in-depth explanation of how I would propose tracing Kiely's path throughout the night based off of these key exchanges, I would be more than happy to provide an example or explain over the phone.
edit: I know how to do this because I am a software engineer

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sent an email to the sheriff's office regarding a potential method of identifying who was in proximity to Kiely using the Covid-19 Exposure/Contact Tracing API.

I didn’t even know they had that on phones!

The cell phone ping is frustrating.

Cell phones do not continually ping towers and depend on the provider for rate etc.
The pings generally come from communications (text, calls, emails) , connecting to a new tower, or shutting down. It that area, you probably don't have to go far before either losing connection or communicatiing to a new tower. I did not reference the times, however, I thought her text to her mother was about the time of the last ping. This means that there wasn't any know connection after that, and it probably occurred at the lake.

It would be interesting to know if the cell phone service she had covers the area leaving the camp ground (at hwy 89 for example). This might be why they seem to focus on Prosser lake. If the phone had a charge and was turned on, there is a pretty good chance that a new tower would have been seen quickly on the road.
It would definitely be good to know more about the ping. It sounds like it was very close in time to when SS said Kiely called her (12:33 vs 12:36). So I'd guess that's the event that created the final ping.

I'm far from an expert, but from doing some research it sounds like there are a number of events that can trigger a ping:
  • any incoming or outgoing call/text/data use/etc
  • any time a phone switches cell towers
  • any time a phone enters airplane mode
  • at a set interval (usually a number of hours)
Given that, I don't think we can confidently say that KR's phone was turned off/submerged at exactly 12:33. As long as she didn't use it and she didn't travel far enough to connect to a new cell tower, the phone would not have pinged. She could have stayed at the party for a while after the event that triggered the 12:33 ping.

What we can probably say is that she didn't drive far enough away to connect to a new cell tower. Or if she did, her phone was already off or in airplane mode.

As likely as the accident/water theory makes sense, I have to wonder why LE is so focused on what she was wearing and the jewelry. Would it really matter what she was wearing if she's in the water or trees?

I hope this means there really is hope she may still be found, against the odds.
Hate to say this, but it is necessary to factor in the monumental pressure we as a local community are putting on local LE to keep hope and focus on scenarios where she is still alive. that is the reason LE is focusing on what she is wearing and jewelry, IMO.

Really good question and I have no idea.

Honda hubcaps are about as desirable as Ford hubcaps or any other brand, IMO.

Certainly nothing any car buff would drool over.

Who knows?

That may be true, but I do know they're frequently stolen, at least some models.

I know it sounds laughable, but I had to invest in additional security when I owned a Honda Fit. Some of the parts fit older Honda Civics, so thieves like to help themselves....

Looking into this, I did learn CR-Vs are easy to steal. I do not think that is what happened here, but again, just trying to cover any possibility since there were supposedly a lot of "sketchy" older people from "other places" who showed up at the party.

"At about 12:36 a.m. I saw a call from her, so she called me"
Think she is saying that at about 12.36 she had seen a call from her.. like a missed call? but that she already told her earlier that she had a ride. So since SS phone never died, there is no reason she couldn't have seen a call that she had had from KR

I'd also like to commend the Webseuths community members on being focused on facts and logic. I'm dipped my toe in the water of facebook and reddit (far worse) forums focused on Kiely. It is extremely disturbing how many posts on those sites completely ignore established facts, google maps details, etc. and post false information as fact.

I only joined Webseuths because of this happening in our community. I want to commend you all for staying focused and reasonable. I see why WS stands apart.

I just sent an email to the sheriff's office regarding a potential method of identifying who was in proximity to Kiely using the Covid-19 Exposure/Contact Tracing API which uses bluetooth and can work without any cell phone reception.

This is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics