Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stop thinking about the fact she, likely in an inebriated state, was able to leave a huge party that her friends were attending unnoticed. Additionally, no one heard her go into the water or saw it? I understand tragic accidents happen and I'm not putting the blame on her friends who are reeling. Just so hard for me to understand. MOO.
Something to consider that I don't believe I've seen mentioned is nobody knows for sure (or it hasn't been released anyway) what state of mind she was in. There are unsubstantiated claims that she was pretty messed up. IF alcohol drugs, etc were involved, it can really trigger or bring out unpleasant personalities. One of my relatives has flat out panic attacks that can take over an hour to calm down and not many people have the skills--or patience--to do that while under the influence especially. I've seen it many times and there is NO reasoning with a person if they get like that. It's possible there was drama or upset and maybe bystanders or friends had the mindset of "whatever, go on, I don't care, I'm done with you, etc" to explain how/why she may have been alone. Or she got upset and left on her own.

This is not to victim blame in any way. Just an observation as to how people not sober MAY react, from my experience. Add in teen drama, etc and it's a recipe for disaster.

On the topic of prosecuting those who provided the alcohol, etc. I'm sure LE has plenty of social media video to comb thru but I think it would be very hard to prove unless there is actual proof of an adult personally handing it to her. Many of these types of parties are byob and everyone helps themselves. Nobody seems to notice or care who is doing what, imo. I also agree it's not hard for underage minors to obtain liquor and drugs. Both of my college age kids admit they know which stores sell to minors, etc and they even know of local bars that don't card or don't care. It happens a lot.

Agree completely about gates, some solar lights etc for ramps.

I think this was more of an ATV trail than an actual road she would have taken to end up near and eventually in, the water, but I might be mistaken? I would need to go back to one of the earlier threads to find the maps and discussions about vehicles on the "beaches".
I’m patiently waiting the full report to see the path she was on. I cannot tell from maps we have seen, but if she was on a dirt trail instead of the pavement, she may have been trying to take a shortcut of some sort to get home more quickly, and became confused.

jmo

Speaking of the family, and again on the theme of there but for the grace of God go I ...

Last night I was talking to my almost 80 year old neighbor who is a long time Truckee local. He said kids have always partied in that location. He has grown children who partied there (his daughter was nodding along as he spoke). It really was considered a safe space for decades. I'm sure the parents are second guessing every choice they made at this point, but it really wasn't seen in this community as a risk because people have been doing it for so long.
Respectfully, and with absolutely no finger-pointing or ill intent, I have to suggest that your neighbor's statement that kids have always partied in that location tells me that lots of the kids at the party probably have parents that went there when they were teens, and perhaps their parents before them. I would also suggest that those parents and grandparents surely must have at least had a pretty good idea that the unsupervised campground parties were just an opportunity for mostly underaged kids to get together to drink and/or do drugs. As I stated in an earlier thread, for them, it was probably cheap beer and weed, but times have changed. Kids now are drinking harder alcohol than the six-pack of PBR that we got from the convenience store clerk that would look the other way and forget to ask for ID. The weed kids are doing now is far more potent than the seeds and stems found in the dime bags we used to do back in the day. And kids now are not only doing weed. Cocaine, pills, sometimes possibly even unknowingly laced with fentanyl, and hallucinogens, like 'shrooms are also common. A couple of Kiely's friends even stated that some older guys showed up with harder drugs than they were used to seeing, which clearly implies drugs were a normal part of the parties.

I am sure that many parents knew or suspected that their kids were going to these unsupervised parties on weekends, even if they never specifically asked them. Perhaps they did not want to know. After all, they probably did the same thing when they were kids, and they turned out okay. No risk, they may have told themselves. I also think local LE had to know about the regular parties, as it seems everyone in town did, and I think they chose to turn a blind eye for the same reasons so many parents seemed to. Maybe even some of their kids went too.

In light of this tragedy, this would seem to be the perfect time to say, "this has to stop". The campground is not exempt from law. LE need to start patrolling the area regularly, and put an end to the open drinking and doing drugs, in the woods, that have likely become a weekend event. If that means arresting impaired drivers, I would only suggest that spending a night in jail is far better than spending a night in the morgue. Parents need to take this time to sit down with their teens and let them know that underage drinking and driving is not only illegal, but can be deadly, and will not be condoned. Understand that they, like us probably, are going to drink anyway, at some point. Instill in them a buddy system. Look out for one another. Take a friend's keys if you have to, and accept that if a friend takes yours, they are doing it for the right reasons. Don't let Kiely's death be completely in vain. JMO

Last edited:
Something to consider that I don't believe I've seen mentioned is nobody knows for sure (or it hasn't been released anyway) what state of mind she was in. There are unsubstantiated claims that she was pretty messed up. IF alcohol drugs, etc were involved, it can really trigger or bring out unpleasant personalities. One of my relatives has flat out panic attacks that can take over an hour to calm down and not many people have the skills--or patience--to do that while under the influence especially. I've seen it many times and there is NO reasoning with a person if they get like that. It's possible there was drama or upset and maybe bystanders or friends had the mindset of "whatever, go on, I don't care, I'm done with you, etc" to explain how/why she may have been alone. Or she got upset and left on her own.

This is not to victim blame in any way. Just an observation as to how people not sober MAY react, from my experience. Add in teen drama, etc and it's a recipe for disaster.

On the topic of prosecuting those who provided the alcohol, etc. I'm sure LE has plenty of social media video to comb thru but I think it would be very hard to prove unless there is actual proof of an adult personally handing it to her. Many of these types of parties are byob and everyone helps themselves. Nobody seems to notice or care who is doing what, imo. I also agree it's not hard for underage minors to obtain liquor and drugs. Both of my college age kids admit they know which stores sell to minors, etc and they even know of local bars that don't card or don't care. It happens a lot.
I too have wondered about her state of mind. It prompted me to remember the very first MSM interview SS did.

"....I know that she wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive...."

I don't believe I've heard her say that since. She mentioned in further interviews about Kiely being intoxicated but never about her state of mind.

Thanks. Agree, I have not heard of many cases where someone hides a body on purpose inside the victim’s own car. Usually the accident situation where the accident was caused by an impaired driver, where the driver escapes and the victim doesn’t.

In this case could also be some other act or behavior on the part of another person that caused her death, and then panic caused the perp to try to cover it up. * Again, it’s MOO that this is likely to be an accident possibly caused in part to impaired driving, but could be a less likely foul play scenario.*

I’m sure that LE will cover all the bases when investigating and pray for peace and comfort for the families.
I’m not saying this is what happened here, but this situation very much reminded me of this case: Neil Pal Sentenced To Prison For Bonacci Murder
The short version is, some young men were at a party, there was beef, two of them took the victim out into the woods, shot him in the head in his own SUV, and put a rock on his gas pedal to drive the SUV into a ravine. Car & body were found a week later. The primary offender helped heavily with the missing persons search and was even seen on camera hugging the victim’s mom at the funeral. (That’s more detail than is in that particular article, but I was working in the media at the time. Incidentally, I was also acquainted with the primary offender’s father.)

If she used Spotify, etc she likely had the phone plugged into her car for music? That is what my teens do, anyway. Would be my guess. Hopefully the phone would have been attached/in a car holder of some sort, but there is always the possibility she also could have been using it while driving.

If she was charging it (since the charge was low earlier) it would have been out of her pocket and plugged in. I don’t think most drive with it in their pocket? At least IME.

I’m not saying this is what happened here, but this situation very much reminded me of this case: Neil Pal Sentenced To Prison For Bonacci Murder
The short version is, some young men were at a party, there was beef, two of them took the victim out into the woods, shot him in the head in his own SUV, and put a rock on his gas pedal to drive the SUV into a ravine. Car & body were found a week later. The primary offender helped heavily with the missing persons search and was even seen on camera hugging the victim’s mom at the funeral. (That’s more detail than is in that particular article, but I was working in the media at the time. Incidentally, I was also acquainted with the primary offender’s father.)
I have read mystery novels with similar "plots" as to that. I've always wondered how anyone would be able to wedge anything against a gas pedal and not get caught in the car themselves as the engine is racing and the vehicle is trying to move.

I’m probably way out of left field here, but given what seems to be the overall consensus here in terms of her familiarity with the area/roads I can’t help but wonder if maybe she suffered an overdose (or alcohol poisoning?) not long after taking off and as a result of that incapacitation a heavy foot led her straight into the water. JMO

If she was drinking and was not used to alcohol, many number of things could have happened here. My oldest son loves drinking beer (he is over 21). However, one night a few friends went to his house with hard liquor, he indulged with them and the result was terrifying. He was and is a very emotional person by nature. The doctor described his condition as blacked out drunk - which I have always assumed meant asleep. He was however very awake and very much not himself. It was as if a demon had taken over. He was manic and paranoid. There was no calming him down and no talking sense in to him. He was talking and not slurring his words, but he couldn't comprehend reality. The police were called to help him (he was at his home), and they took him to the hospital to detox him. He will never touch hard liquor again.

My sincere sympathies go to her family and friends. This is devastating, but I am SO thankful that AWP found her. It would have been much worse had she not been found.

I’m probably way out of left field here, but given what seems to be the overall consensus here in terms of her familiarity with the area/roads I can’t help but wonder if maybe she suffered an overdose (or alcohol poisoning?) not long after taking off and as a result of that incapacitation a heavy foot led her straight into the water. JMO
Sadly, many people who are inebriated end up in accidents with fatalities. Sometimes they themselves are killed, sometimes they kill others. It doesn't take reaching the point of alcohol poisoning to cause fatalities.
It's the same with drug use. Any drug use can cause impairment and when someone is impaired they can be a danger to self or others.

This is difficult to say, but I doubt the parties will stop. It seems very much ingrained in the local culture, similar to the area where I grew up.

Examples without names:

2021: car of kids out after a party like this one, same age as KR. Quite similar--well liked young woman, bright, everything to live for. In this case, the friend drove her car, the owner of the car died at the scene, driver survived. Others dropped off minutes before accident.

Quick scan of social media? Parties in the woods, etc as of this past weekend.....

The year before? A 16 yo driving, 15 yo passenger died. I could go on, but pretty much every other year or so. All you need to do is flip through the yearbook dedications. It is very sad.

If you drew a circle and expanded into communities within a half an hour's drive, the amount of young people, teens, 20s who died partying and/or caused other deaths is just crazy.

People continue to party, they continue to drive while impaired, they won't stop, they consider it all "normal". It is such a high price to pay. I think the answer is better communication about a safe ride home. It is tough in areas where you can't call a taxi easily. With ride shares becoming more common, even in rural areas, maybe that can help? I really don't know. Having your own vehicle and driving yourself is also really ingrained in the culture in many rural places.

Wow....that's terrible. I'm glad that guy was given a second sentence so he doesn't see the outside world anytime soon.

Respectfully, and with absolutely no finger-pointing or ill intent, I have to suggest that your neighbor's statement that kids have always partied in that location tells me that lots of the kids at the party probably have parents that went there when they were teens, and perhaps their parents before them. I would also suggest that those parents and grandparents surely must have at least had a pretty good idea that the unsupervised campground parties were just an opportunity for mostly underaged kids to get together to drink and/or do drugs. As I stated in an earlier thread, for them, it was probably cheap beer and weed, but times have changed. Kids now are drinking harder alcohol than the six-pack of PBR that we got from the convenience store clerk that would look the other way and forget to ask for ID. The weed kids are doing now is far more potent than the seeds and stems found in the dime bags we used to do back in the day. And kids now are not only doing weed. Cocaine, pills, sometimes possibly even unknowingly laced with fentanyl, and hallucinogens, like 'shrooms are also common. A couple of Kiely's friends even stated that some older guys showed up with harder drugs than they were used to seeing, which clearly implies drugs were a normal part of the parties.

I am sure that many parents knew or suspected that their kids were going to these unsupervised parties on weekends, even if they never specifically asked them. Perhaps they did not want to know. After all, they probably did the same thing when they were kids, and they turned out okay. No risk, they may have told themselves. I also think local LE had to know about the regular parties, as it seems everyone in town did, and I think they chose to turn a blind eye for the same reasons so many parents seemed to. Maybe even some of their kids went too.

In light of this tragedy, this would seem to be the perfect time to say, "this has to stop". The campground is not exempt from law. LE need to start patrolling the area regularly, and put an end to the open drinking and doing drugs, in the woods, that have likely become a weekend event. If that means arresting impaired drivers, I would only suggest that spending a night in jail is far better than spending a night in the morgue. Parents need to take this time to sit down with their teens and let them know that underage drinking and driving is not only illegal, but can be deadly, and will not be condoned. Understand that they, like us probably, are going to drink anyway, at some point. Instill in them a buddy system. Look out for one another. Take a friend's keys if you have to, and accept that if a friend takes yours, they are doing it for the right reasons. Don't let Kiely's death be completely in vain. JMO
Agree with the last part and also want to add we told our teens, no matter crazy mess what you've gotten yourselves into, call us. We will come pick you up no questions asked.

But, I also don't think things have changed that much. Growing up in a small farming community long, long ago, there were certainly teen parties where hard alcohol, LSD, MDA, hashish, cocaine, speed, quaaludes, mushrooms, mescaline, you name it, were readily available. It's nothing new. There were the same tragic deaths from ODs and car wrecks.

Agree with the last part and also want to add we told our teens, no matter crazy mess what you've gotten yourselves into, call us. We will come pick you up no questions asked.

But, I also don't think things have changed that much. Growing up in a small farming community long, long ago, there were certainly teen parties where hard alcohol, LSD, MDA, hashish, cocaine, speed, quaaludes, mushrooms, mescaline, you name it, were readily available. It's nothing new. There were the same tragic deaths from ODs and car wrecks.
That is true, I suppose. Most of my friends' parties were mostly beer and pot and sometimes someone would break out a bottle of Bacardi. One deadly thing has changed though, and that is the prevalence of drugs laced with fentanyl, where one wrong pill can kill you. We never had to contend with fentanyl.

I take into consideration that she was 16 years old, the age to get a drivers license in Ca. Don’t see her birthdate, but that fact tells me she was not an experienced driver, and worst that she was probably under the influence according to party goers there. It is sad, very sad.

I can understand the speculation that she couldn't have made a wrong turn because she was so familiar with the area but I think that could very well be what happened. A few months ago I was on my way to a noon meeting. I was on a major highway I had driven hundreds of time, going to a building I had been to dozens of time. I was deep in thought about the meeting and somehow I missed my turn and had driven 10 more miles before I even realized it. It was a beautiful day and visibility was perfect yet I missed the turn. I think KY, with only a few months driving experience, possibly impaired, driving in the dark, she could very easily have made a terrible mistake.

I can understand the speculation that she couldn't have made a wrong turn because she was so familiar with the area but I think that could very well be what happened. A few months ago I was on my way to a noon meeting. I was on a major highway I had driven hundreds of time, going to a building I had been to dozens of time. I was deep in thought about the meeting and somehow I missed my turn and had driven 10 more miles before I even realized it. It was a beautiful day and visibility was perfect yet I missed the turn. I think KY, with only a few months driving experience, possibly impaired, driving in the dark, she could very easily have made a terrible mistake.
I agree.

She couldn't have been driving alone long enough to have developed that kinetic sense, the muscle memory that guides you along a familiar path. And if she was in fact inebriated or high, what does "familiar" even mean any more?
The brain is not operating according to its custom when sober.

IMO

Same here- middle of the day, no drugs or alcohol but distracted in a thought. Missed my exit and had to drive 25 miles to the next one to turn around - 55 miles total!

Anyway- the point is that if you're even a little impaired, in the dark, very little driving experience... There is no need to speculate on elaborate schemes to cover-up this or that. It's as likely that she swerved to miss a Bigfoot than she was killed by someone at that party.

Another article on Kiely. Per this one, LE is not disclosing the manner and cause of death. I would think if the autopsy reveals no foul play, releasing that info would not be a problem. Outside of something intentional, it may be out of respect for the family (in which case it may never be released) or they are waiting for the toxicology report to cover all the bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot