Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moo..it is so easy to get turned around and confused on back/bush roads when your only recognizable sign posts are the big tree over there or the rock pile that a way, night time it looks so different. I watched the video of the woman driving to beach. The road really did not look that bad, i can totally see going straight into the water. Especially if you think you are on a different road which does not end in a lake. .moo just a sad accident.

10) KR may have gone somewhere after the Prosser Camp party (but SO says no one has come forward to say they saw KR leave or where KR may have been heading)

Is this a verified fact??
BBM
Yes, @Warwick7. This is a fact stated by LE either during a presser or on their website / FB page. But note the word "may". I think this statement led to a fury of interest here opining whether there was / were an after party / parties that KR may have gone to (with others). But it also makes me wonder - now that she has been found - if KR just fell asleep in the back of her car that night because she realized she was incapable of driving home or anywhere for that matter. No one would have seen her leave.

ET: clarify

Last edited:
Was the windshield broken? I thought it was the driver side window.

"The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."

Re: in the NYPost quote: found "car upside down" and "body in backseat."

If the car was upside down, then the body should have sunk down onto the interior car roof IF the body was loose. Does saying the body was in the backseat imply that KR was seatbelted into the backseat and found upside down? If decomposition gases caused the body to float after initially resting on the interior roof, eg the "bottom", then floating up to the backseat is not really "in the backseat", to me at least.

iirc AWP saw the body in the backseat before the car was turned over and pulled out of the water. There wasn't any video of the process, but as the car emerged from the water, the water would have been gushing out of the open and broken windows. jmo LE would have opened a door, too, to get as much water out as possible. So if the body had been loose as the car was turned upright, dragged out, water pouring out... a floating body could have landed anywhere inside the car, yet we all did see the blue privacy tarp over the back.

jmo I believe (greater than 75%) that KR was seatbelted in the backseat, and that is how she was found, upside down; ergo, KR was unconscious or deceased when the car entered the water, she was not driving, not a simple tragic MVA.

This link says it takes 5 - 8 days for decomposition gases to cause a body to float in fresh water 50F or greater.

How do any of you visualize "car upside down" AND "body in backseat"?

If the car was upside down, then the body should have sunk down onto the interior car roof IF the body was loose. Does saying the body was in the backseat imply that KR was seatbelted into the backseat and found upside down? If decomposition gases caused the body to float after initially resting on the interior roof, eg the "bottom", then floating up to the backseat is not really "in the backseat", to me at least.

iirc AWP saw the body in the backseat before the car was turned over and pulled out of the water. There wasn't any video of the process, but as the car emerged from the water, the water would have been gushing out of the open and broken windows. jmo LE would have opened a door, too, to get as much water out as possible. So if the body had been loose as the car was turned upright, dragged out, water pouring out... a floating body could have landed anywhere inside the car, yet we all did see the blue privacy tarp over the back.

jmo I believe (greater than 75%) that KR was seatbelted in the backseat, and that is how she was found, upside down; ergo, KR was unconscious or deceased when the car entered the water, she was not driving, not a simple tragic MVA.

I see it as such things usually are, in my opinion—a ‘journalist’ writing something with sloppy assumptions, in such a way that it’s impossible to draw any conclusions, aside from a presumption that she was in the general area of the back of the car. (To be fair, saying ‘backseat,’ instead of ‘back of the car area,’ isn’t even all that sloppy. News articles aren’t designed to be closely parsed.)

I believe that there’s less than 1% chance that she was actually seatbelted into the back seat.

MOO

Last edited:

Well my experience consists solely of watching all of the AWP recovery videos, but they frequently seem to find the bodies in the back seats (from cars either way up) and make a point of commenting to relatives that it is not at all unusual.

Last edited:
We've asked many times how Kiely wouldn't have noticed that she'd left the trail, girded by trees, and was driving on the open beach. I've suggested that the combination of no moon, less beach, and possible fog contributed -- but now I'm wondering if maybe Kiely was aware she was on the beach, intended to be on the beach and intended to drive from the beach to home. But in the dark, something went horribly wrong.

JMO
It doesn’t sound like the road was even big enough for her to turn around if she wanted to. If she realized she was going the wrong way she couldn’t turn around and decided to keep driving, thinking it would intersect with a better road eventually.

This link says it takes 5 - 8 days for decomposition gases to cause a body to float in fresh water 50F or greater.

Thank you so much for finding a tactful way to phrase all of that and ask this question. I have been wondering this since “body in the backseat” was announced, but couldn’t find a way to ask, logistically, *how?* (like, how was she not found down against the roof if not belted into the front seat?) without sounding like I was fishing for too many unnecessary details.

From my California raving, multiple party drug taking days, I’m thinking:

SS said that Kiely planned on getting “effed up” that night, which to me suggests much more than alcohol. She was likely open to taking a good amount of two or more substances, and still planned on driving home carefully.

I drove our party group home on ecstasy and lsd many many times (thankfully no one was hurt during those years of poor judgment). Those drugs (compared to others or alcohol) allowed me a certain mental clarity to drive relatively confidently, often an hour or more through socal freeways. Also, this would be when coming down from the peak high after six or more hours.

Mushrooms though. I’ve taken many times and it’s very easy to get too much psilocybin and have a seriously mind altering experience. Where you are swept into a four or six hour mind warp. your sense of time and place and vision and grasp on reality is seriously distorted or obliterated.

These are little dried mushrooms or pieces of dried mushrooms, and you can eat two or three and have a nice buzzy effect. or you can eat two or three or four and be completely knocked on your rear, talking to the bushes for three hours.

I would not be surprised if she munched down some mushrooms and with her head and vision swirling like a kaleidoscope drove the wrong way. She likely was determined to drive home and would have tried to fight through such a mind altering trip. And during the peak effects of the trip right after midnight.

SS even mentioned that Kiely was not in the “right mindset” to drive, that in no way would have been able to drive out of there. That’s not cocaine or weed, and doesn’t sound like alcohol-drunk either. Sounds like mushrooms to me. imo
Saying that she was going to get f%^$&%ed up doesn't necessarily mean anything more than drinking. Do we have any reason to believe she had taken other drugs in the past?

That’s one thing that concerned me from the start. When LE was asking for tips and saying there would be no repercussions, I wondered how that could be true. If it were later found that an adult supplied a minor with substances that contributed to her death, how would there not be subsequent criminal charges?
I took LE's comments about not pursuing charges against tipsters to mean that they were not interested in charging for underage drinking if that is what the other kids/parents were worried about. Dealing harsher substances or adults providing to underage kids is a different story. IMO.

I agree with others, @SandyQLS.

We have to be very careful with interpreting these words. If you notice how the NYPOST authors wrote that paragraph (below), the first sentence quotes Nick Rinn of AWP re: what he found. The second sentence does not cite a source. But it was craftly written so most readers attribute the second sentence to Nick Rinn's initial discovery.

I actually wrote the NYPOST - I have posted that email here perhaps three times now. I questioned what the source was for the second sentence. I have not heard from the NYPOST. But the photographer credited with photos for the article, and who I copied on my email, did correspond with me. He said there was a confidential source for that information.

All that said, I suspect the second sentence is describing the situation with the car AFTER it was recovered. So I am being very cautious to not interpret that sentence any other way... the law of physics put KR in the backseat, IMO.

"The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."

nypost.com

Mystery over how SUV of missing teen Kiely Rodni ended up in a reservoir

A 2013 Honda Silver CVR with plates matching Kiely Rodni’s and a body inside were dredged from Prosser Creek Reservoir Sunday in what appears to be the end of the tragic saga.
nypost.com
nypost.com

I visualize her, as Mr Rinn says, in the backseat. He doesn't say hatch/trunk/rear, or even floating. He says she was in the back seat. I searched the AWP Facebook page for any other instances of bodies being found and the only other case I found were two toddlers found buckled in their car seats in the back seat.

Members have said the AWP team have videos of other recoveries where the deceased was found in the backseat of an SUV. I'd appreciate a link if possible.

I believe that there’s less than 1% chance that she was actually seatbelted into the back seat.

MOO
RSBM

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with this but IMHO I think it's more likely like 0% chance of that. I just can't see someone trying to cover up either a murder, or accidental passing, by submerging her car with her buckled into the backseat. That would be BEYOND stupid on their part to me. They had to know that eventually the car would be found in a headscratching moment for LE when they saw that. There'd be NO WAY LE could ever consider that to be an accident. Obviously, all MOO.

BBM
That statement (I bolded), @TKG, is not substantiated with a source. The NYPOST wrote that in a misleading way.

Please see my post here for more information about that specific statement by the NYPOST.
Adding:
  • Were Kiely’s bag or cell phone located in the car?
  • Were there any other phones or bags found in the car, possibly belonging to others?
  • Was any drug paraphernalia or alcohol found in the car?
  • Was Kiely clothed?
  • Visible wounds (stab, gunshot, burns, blunt force, neck bruising)
Good to see you again! As always, excellent questions and contributions!

I see it as such things usually are, in my opinion—a ‘journalist’ writing something with sloppy assumptions, in such a way that it’s impossible to draw any conclusions, aside from a presumption that she was in the general area of the back of the car. (To be fair, saying ‘backseat,’ instead of ‘back of the car area,’ isn’t even all that sloppy. News articles aren’t designed to be closely parsed.)

MOO
I agree, and although I respect that others may have differing opinions, I believe the chance that she ended up in the reservoir by any means other than a single motor vehicle accident, is not much higher than that. During the press conference announcing she and her car had been recovered, a lot was inferred by some, of the officer awkwardly pausing before answering the question as to whether there was more than one body in the vehicle. Considering that two weeks after her disappearance, no one else besides Kiely had been reported as missing, I took the pause as nothing more than the officer carefully choosing his words, so as not to offend the reporter, for asking what he probably perceived as a ridiculous question.

Again, I know some people have a different opinion, and that is fine, but if this was anything other than a tragic accident, I will never utter the words 'Ockham's razor' again. JMO

RSBM

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with this but IMHO I think it's more likely like 0% chance of that. I just can't see someone trying to cover up either a murder, or accidental passing, by submerging her car with her buckled into the backseat. That would be BEYOND stupid on their part to me. They had to know that eventually the car would be found in a headscratching moment for LE when they saw that. There'd be NO WAY LE could ever consider that to be an accident. Obviously, all MOO.
I too agree with your opinion. I found it interesting there is a protruding area on the front windshield that would be indicative of a person almost going through the windshield due to force. The videos and comments with AWP have been edited, which is interesting. I went back to every post and certain comments have been removed. The items we've covered were discussed in a "live" interview that was 28 minutes long. I'm sure it is all to keep the integrity of the investigation, however JMHO.

IF she did fly forward and hit the windshield, that would explain "a body in the back" comment made by AWP.

RSBM

Yeah.

Only way I could see something like that happening was if multiple people were in the car and everybody else got out.

There may be other more nefarious explanations but it just seems to strain credulity too much.

JMHO

Members have said the AWP team have videos of other recoveries where the deceased was found in the backseat of an SUV. I'd appreciate a link if possible.

As Redhaus says, I don’t think we can attribute all of the information in that article to Mr Rinn. The press releases and stream by AWP do not mention anything other than identifying that there were remains in the car, prior to its removal.

The most recent AWP video I watched was the Thomas Thornton one - don’t know how to link (or if allowed to!). From 35 min, after an interesting discussion about airbag deployment, Doug from AWP says “Him being in the back is typical, we’ve found a lot of people in the back when they don’t have a seatbelt on.”

A body has air in. Even when deceased, this air is still present In the abdomen, bowels, etc. so this would have made her body a little buoyant.

My take on what happened is: as the car dipped forward into the water (with the weight of the engine) she squeezed herself into the back of the car, but sadly wasn't able to get out through the doors or windows.
As the body was in the back of the car, there it stayed. I'm sure it would not have floated between the front and the back, as the headrests from the 2 seats would be in the way, and the body would be a bit too floaty to have been able to get underneath them. (Underneath as the car was upside down.)

MOO.

Last edited:
RSBM

Honestly, her being buckled up in the backseat and pushed into the reservoir makes no sense to me at all either. It would defy logic for someone to buckle up her dead body and push it in unless she was placed in the drivers seat to try and make it resemble an accident. I'd be shocked if she didn't just float into the backseat or the cargo area just due to the physics of how things float in vehicles underwater (if she wasn't buckled up), or due to her trying to breath the last bit of air as the CR-V sank engine first toward the bottom of the reservoir. Ethan Kazmerzak was found in his backseat in the farm pond AWP located him in.

IMO the front of a vehicle (where the engine is) will sink first. Then once the 3,500# CRV becomes waterlogged, it would sink very rapidly, land on it's front end and likely bounce at least once when it hit the bottom of the lake. It also might explain why she was in the rear of the vehicle.

It will be important to know if any of the seat belts were locked on or unlocked.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member