Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if the difference is being in the back seat vs the hatch... it may be common to see victims that have floated slightly into thw back but I'm wondering if she was secured in the hatch somehow...if she was secured back there than it would definitely be suspicious

If she climbed over the seats to get to the hatch for air while the car was going down front first, then she would have been trapped there once deceased and would not have floated out of the hatch, IMO. It is a very confined space once you are in there, and although easy to get in or out for a live person, a body would be confined in the hatch with too many barriers to float out naturally. I think her body would have remained there if that is where she drowned.

Sad to type this.

ETA She would be secured by the configuration of the hatchback (depth/height/width/headrests on back seat/angle of roof, etc.) JMO based on climbing into the hatch area from the back seat in my 2016 Honda SUV to see what it would be like.

Last edited:
If she climbed over the seats to get to the hatch for air while the car was going down front first, then she would have been trapped there once deceased and would not have floated out of the hatch, IMO. It is a very confined space once you are in there, and although easy to get in or out for a live person, a body would be confined in the hatch with too many barriers to float out naturally. I think her body would have remained there if that is where she drowned.

Sad to type this.

ETA She would be secured by the configuration of the hatchback (depth/height/width/headrests on back seat/angle of roof, etc.) JMO based on climbing into the hatch area from the back seat in my 2016 Honda SUV to see what it would be like.
I had thought of this, too. She may have gotten herself back there, and then remained trapped there. If only we knew the conclusions of the investigators….

since the hatch window opens then maybe she tried opening it and escaping but then she got stuck.
jmo

The hatch window doesn't open. And the mechanism to open the hatch from inside the vehicle requires a screwdriver or similar tool and a fair amount of maneuvering after removing a cover which conceals the mechanism. I didn't even know it existed until I read about this earlier on here on this thread.

The hatch window doesn't open. And the mechanism to open the hatch from inside the vehicle requires a screwdriver or similar tool and a fair amount of maneuvering after removing a cover which conceals the mechanism. I didn't even know it existed until I read about this earlier on here on this thread.
Hatch window does not open on a 2013 CR-V
okay thank you so much for pointing that out!
sorry for misleading-

Another person on this thread had mentioned some damage to the rear of the vehicle and posted a still image from AWP’s video but I can’t find the original post. I did screenshot the image and noticed something else. Where the hatch closes, at the bottom it looks like a belt or a strap. Can anyone else see this? I have circled it in the attached image.F5478DD4-6BAA-438E-AD07-CCF91F8F2F1C.jpeg

Another person on this thread had mentioned some damage to the rear of the vehicle and posted a still image from AWP’s video but I can’t find the original post. I did screenshot the image and noticed something else. Where the hatch closes, at the bottom it looks like a belt or a strap. Can anyone else see this? I have circled it in the attached image.
RSBM
Very interesting, @MomMommyMom2 (that's a lot of Mom's!, :))

I found a stock image of a Honda 2013 Rear, rotated your clip next to it for comparison and orientation. The angle of the two images is not exact, but I think I've matched the "items of interest" in the AWP still and the stock image.

I still wonder if the marks on the right aren't fresh, meaning they happened recently (no rust, paint rubbed off to body?). The 'strap' you see is a bit hard to make out... it looks manmade as opposed to a plant.

ETA: I don't see straps inside the hatch, unless that low horizontal black line is a strap, per the second image I've added?
1662398392244.jpeg
1662398911314.png

Stock images source: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda/cr-v/2013/photos-exterior/rear-view

Last edited:

Moment volunteer diver found body of missing California teen Kiely Rodni in BACK of her submerged SUV with three of the four windows rolled down: Her father is filmed being told the bad news​

Apologies that this is a Daily Mail link.

The fact that the body spray was the *only* thing he saw in the car makes me lean more towards it NOT being Kiely's vehicle. We know that she had her laptop with her and we saw that there was a lot of stuff in the car based on the recovery video. I would think he would have noticed more than just one thing, but who knows?
I have been thinking about your statement, RS&BBM. I am not disagreeing with you, but I think we should also consider whether - IF it was KR's car - the man and woman hadn't stuffed under the seats and into the back hatch, all extraneous stuff they wouldn't want anyone (including Nick the DA guy) to see. And when flipped underwater, it all floated out.

RSBM

I found a stock image of a Honda 2013 Rear, rotated your clip next to it for comparison and orientation. The angle of the two images is not exact, but I think I've matched the "items of interest" in the AWP still and the stock image.897

I still wonder if the marks on the right aren't fresh, meaning they happened recently (no rust, paint rubbed off to body?). The 'strap' you see is a bit hard to make out... it looks manmade as opposed to a plant.

ETA: I don't see straps inside the hatch, unless that low horizontal black line is a strap, per the second image I've added?
View attachment 364353
View attachment 364355

Stock images source: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda/cr-v/2013/photos-exterior/rear-view
You are awesome, thx for doing this! I am using my phone to try to compare images…I do think those marks are recently new, it’s hard to tell underwater. I’m very interested in what they looked like after the car was recovered and I hope those images will be released eventually. I was trying to figure out if the middle seatbelt was a two part mechanism. In my Honda Pilot the seatbelt in the middle has to be pulled down from the ceiling to connect to the belt on the seat. I found this image for a 2011 Honda CR V. I wonder if it would be long enough to somehow (on purpose?) get stuck there to maybe hold “something” in that area?D1BF919F-9F7D-40FB-8BA6-AD29C1091D42.jpeg
Thank you @RedHaus

Link to my original post:

repost of the image from AWP video of finding Kiely's vehicle. This is the rear if the SUVView attachment 364201

From the underwater video and the recovery video and the still images I have seen from both I personally see no signs that any airbag deployed.
I didn't see any either and thought I would have, especially in the vid of them pulling the SUV out of the river since her car has curtain air bags as well as front and side. I don't think it crashed into the water, it was likely a slowish forward movement. Maybe 10-20 MPH? Maybe more but I don't feel as though it barreled into the water. All MOO.

Per Kiely's VIN info:

Front Airbag Location1st Row (Driver and Passenger)
Curtain Air Bag Locations1st and 2nd Rows
Side Air Bag Locations1st Row (Driver and Passenger)

You'll have to enter her VIN yourself as the URL doesn't save that info. VIN 2HKRM4H35DH689544 (Obtained with her license plate #).

True, but a lot of this was started by Adventures with Purpose, the group who found her, and who carry considerable authority….

My belief is that they carry amazing authority, proven time and again, in the field of water search and recovery.

However, my opinion is that they carry no authority at all in the field of crime and possible crime investigation.

We need to draw a clear line of separation between those two things.

MOO

I'm curious if the difference is being in the back seat vs the hatch... it may be common to see victims that have floated slightly into thw back but I'm wondering if she was secured in the hatch somehow...if she was secured back there than it would definitely be suspicious
I really doubt she was secured in the hatch. Per my previous post 1003:

For me, he was trying to see if he could locate a body and would only mentioned seeing shoes if they were on her. Once he saw them he moved to the opposite end of the window of where shoes (on feet) were. Why mention things in the car? He hadn't said "I see a Truly can, some paraphernalia, a brush, a phone charger, etc". He wasn't giving inventory, he was looking to see if he could see her body.

ETA - the above wasn't the post I was looking for. D'oh! It was post #989 below...

she could have had the cover open or closed. If closed, and she was under it (inside the trunk area), the diver would not have been able to see her when he peered through the window. He'd have seen the top of the cover. So due to that, she was either on top of the cover (IOW... roof on the bottom of the lake bed, then Kiely, then the closed cover (if it was closed), and then the trunk space. Or the cover was open to store stuff, or whatever. So the above "IOW scenario" minus the cover in-between.

Again, IMHO, if he saw her through the rear window, she was laying on the roof and NOT under the trunk cover.

Last edited:
RSBM

I found a stock image of a Honda 2013 Rear, rotated your clip next to it for comparison and orientation. The angle of the two images is not exact, but I think I've matched the "items of interest" in the AWP still and the stock image.897

View attachment 364353
View attachment 364355

I saw that photo of the seatbelt coming out of the hatch as well. The closest seatbelt to the hatch would have to be pulled from the back seat. There's no seatbelts in the cargo area.
Are guys saying that is a seatbelt from the back seat sticking out the back of the car???

I saw that photo of the seatbelt coming out of the hatch as well. The closest seatbelt to the hatch would have to be pulled from the back seat. There's no seatbelts in the cargo area.

My Honda CRV has one seatbelt on the ceiling of the cargo/hatch area. It is intended for use in the middle back seat if there is a third/middle passenger using that seat. But I doubt that is what is protruding from the car.

RSBM

I found a stock image of a Honda 2013 Rear, rotated your clip next to it for comparison and orientation. The angle of the two images is not exact, but I think I've matched the "items of interest" in the AWP still and the stock image.

View attachment 364353
View attachment 364355

We keep a variety of items in the back of our SUV in case we need them to attach items to the roof rack or other, such as bungee cords, various tie-down items, etc. Sometimes they stick out if we close the hatch and they are not moved aside beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli