Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me this is just another piece of data that suggests that Kiely's car and phone went into the lake soon after the 12:33 ping.
It doesn't matter which interpretation is right, that the 12:33 refers to the phone and/or the vehicle but I just want to stress that it is not a given that the vehicle was last seen at 12:33. It is open for interpretation (fortunately or unfortunately!)
Respectfully, we do NOT know that that Kiely's car was last seen at 12:33am. The official statement makes no mention at all of when it was last seen, and to infer otherwise, from the following official statement, would be merely speculation on someone's part.
We would all rest easier if he had only said, “Kiely’s car has not been seen since her phone last pinged at 12:33”.
RSBM

Hi all.

I appreciate your alternative interpretation of what Captain Brown said on 8/10 at the Community Mtg. (1) Your ideas would help explain the oddity of how we can have two data points occurring at the exact same minute - 12:33am.

I still wonder though, if an even simpler explanation of why Brown said what he said (1) is if KR's phone was hooked up to her car's Bluetooth. So in essence the ping actually came from the car's rendition of KR's phone and not her phone itself.

I do not know enough to have an expert opinion, but I did confirm this morning that KR's car was BT enabled (2).

Thoughts?

(1) @35:45

(2) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECAYQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2Y_RuHmXaKeEa7vYY-mEf6

I appreciate your alternative interpretation of what Captain Brown said on 8/10 at the Community Mtg. (1) Your ideas would help explain the oddity of how we can have two data points occurring at the exact same minute - 12:33am.
Since it's my own, I am not saying I respectfully snipped my post! :p

OK, so if we marry up the two data points, 1) KR's car not seen after 12:33am, and 2) KR's phone last pinged at 12:33am as one and the same - described by Captain Brown two different ways - I think we are still left with what Musallam said.

At the 8/10 at a PCSO Presser Musallam said KR's phone was turned off shortly after 12:30am and has been off since.

From the research I've done and documented up thread, and confirmed by @customCF last night, a hard shut down is a specific data point available from network providers and while it would generate a ping, it can be a distinct data point.

So IMO, Musallam's statement can be interpreted to mean someone (KR or other) shut off KR's phone, perhaps at 12:33am.

@16:07:
We are providing a recap of today’s press conference on our latest efforts along with the Nevada County Sheriff's Office, CHP - Truckee, FBI – Federal... | By Placer County Sheriff's Office | Facebook

They said they are NEVER going to charge Jagger. If we had an LE on here, hint, hint,
maybe they could tell us how thorough they would have to have checked his whereabouts to say that publicly.
They would take Jagger’s statement regarding where he was, at what times, and who he was with. They would then try to corroborate that statement by pulling video, interviewing his witnesses, checking his phone etc. If he said he was home alone sleeping, I don’t think LE would say never. If he was in a public place with video cameras, with a group of friends, and they took selfies all night, there’s a better chance they might say never. ;) MOO

@RedHaus I don’t know if this helps any with figuring out that last 12:33 ping but early reporting noted that Kiely’s mom learned that Snapchat data showed Kiely’s cellphone at the campground at around 12:30am. We don’t have an exact time but maybe the 12:33 ping was from Snapchat? I don’t know if the ping possibly being from Snapchat answers any questions

MY OPINION ONLY

Here is a theory. We have discussed it 1OOO posts ago, and maybe it has been forgotten.

I do not know too much about phone pings, except there was a VERY famous case here 1O years ago, and all of the suspects, witnesses, even where they all lived aside from the crime scene area, and the police station, and all the businesses involved, all pinged off the same tower. IIRC, same thing for the prosser party area and possibly, not entirely sure, even the Boca area in this case.

What if KR turned off her phone because she was not going to make her extended curfew, and did not want her mom calling and finding out she was driving home alone. That could effect whether she was allowed such permission again.
IIRC, sleuths on here figured out she was not going to make that curfew.

Even before there were cell phones and pings, I would get my curfew extended using a rotary phone, and then hope I could sneak in and not wake her up. I facilitated this by leaving my bedroom window unlocked and just went in that way. Never knew if she knew, but weirdly, she never *woke up*lol.

RSBM

Hi all.

I still wonder though, if an even simpler explanation of why Brown said what he said (1) is if KR's phone was hooked up to her car's Bluetooth. So in essence the ping actually came from the car's rendition of KR's phone and not her phone itself.

I do not know enough to have an expert opinion, but I did confirm this morning that KR's car was BT enabled (2).

Thoughts?

(1) @35:45

(2) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECAYQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2Y_RuHmXaKeEa7vYY-mEf6
I may be misinterpreting what you're saying, but you can't ping a cell tower with a Bluetooth signal. It's a shortrange signal. Newer cars can have their own cell connection, but it would be distinct from the phone (different sim card, etc). I sort of doubt that a 2013 CRV would have one. And based on the wording of the press conferences, it definitely sounds like they're referring to her phone's ping, not the car's.

Also I don't think a ping from the phone would let them know whether it was currently connected to the car's bluetooth since that's not really information that's relevant to a cell connection.

Here is a theory. We have discussed it 1OOO posts ago, and maybe it has been forgotten.

I do not know too much about phone pings, except there was a VERY famous case here 1O years ago, and all of the suspects, witnesses, even where they all lived aside from the crime scene area, and the police station, and all the businesses involved, all pinged off the same tower. IIRC, same thing for the prosser party area and possibly, not entirely sure, even the Boca area in this case.

What if KR turned off her phone because she was not going to make her extended curfew, and did not want her mom calling and finding out she was driving home alone. That could effect whether she was allowed such permission again.
IIRC, sleuths on here figured out she was not going to make that curfew.

Even before there were cell phones and pings, I would get my curfew extended using a rotary phone, and then hope I could sneak in and not wake her up. I facilitated this by leaving my bedroom window unlocked and just went in that way. Never knew if she knew, but weirdly, she never *woke up*lol.
quoting myself. So, she could be driving home, and even if the gps could still track her, mom would still not know she was alone.
Or, maybe the persistent yet not verified rumors that she was heading to an after party were true. She had already turned off her phone, but without someone in the car who knew where that party was, she got lost, tried to double back and just go home and took wrong turns. there was no indication that she knew where this party was, or did not know where it was, but I am postulating that would be something the kids would be asked by LE.

I would agree with this. To word it that way seems to indicate that they feel someone did intentionally shut off the phone.
Except they seemed to say something different 3 days later: "Just because the phone last pinged there doesn't mean that's where it stopped pinging. There's lots of reasons why those notifications or data points could be lost."

Personally, I wouldn't rely too much on the exact wording used by whoever was doing the press conferences. We don't know their degree of familiarity with the technology or even the underlying data. IMO the main point they seem to have been trying to communicate in those early days was that 12:33 was the last time they could place Kiely's phone at the party, and they had no pings or sightings of the car after that.

I would agree with this. To word it that way seems to indicate that they feel someone did intentionally shut off the phone.
Wow, did you just use LE speak% awesome. because that someone could have been KR or am I off base%

At the 8/10 at a PCSO Presser Musallam said KR's phone was turned off shortly after 12:30am and has been off since.
I have to keep wondering though if we should take “turned off” 100% literally?
or if it could also mean “unreachable”.

***Even if there IS a discernible data point difference between turned off/unreachable, I’m not sure LE’s interest at that point was to provide us armchair sleuths with the distinction.

They may have said turned off when in fact they intended unreachable. Or at the time they may not have known.

I am hesitant to take each LE press release statement as 100% truth, *not because I don’t trust them* but because the investigation is ongoing, and because they are juggling a lot of information, some of which they can release and some of which they can’t. It would be easy to blur some lines here and there.

IMOO

Serving minors, do not do it! Someone served these minors. The age limit in CA is 21
but get a load of this

What is the legal drinking age in California?​

The legal drinking age in California is 21, however anybody under that age can possess alcohol in a private setting. Except while traveling in cars. If a parent, guardian, spouse, or other responsible relative age 21 or older is present, then they are allowed to consume alcoholic beverages. This is something that a lot of parents do in order to teach their children about moderation.

Serving minors, do not do it! Someone served these minors. The age limit in CA is 21
but get a load of this

What is the legal drinking age in California?​

The legal drinking age in California is 21, however anybody under that age can possess alcohol in a private setting. Except while traveling in cars. If a parent, guardian, spouse,

snipped and bolded
or other responsible relative age 21 or older is present, then they are allowed to consume alcoholic beverages. This is something that a lot of parents do in order to teach their children about moderation
Wondering if older cousins, brothers or sisters, young uncles or aunts count as responsible relatives at a private party%. NOT accusing anyone, speculating.

<modsnip: Off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
bolded and quoted from above

Can a 19 year old drink alcohol in California?​

The minimum age to purchase alcohol in the state of California is 21 years old. If a person under the legal drinking age buys or is given alcohol by another person, they run the risk of being prosecuted with a misdemeanor. Individuals under the age of 21 who purchase or attempt to acquire alcoholic drinks are subject to legal consequences as well.

No wonder its going to take awhile. IIRC theres all kinds of ways out with lesser charges, like if the person who gave the alcohol did not know the victim was going to drive, etc etc. or thought they were not going to leave the campground.

As in, what car% I did not see a car. No one saw a car. if you saw her drive away,
then you might know she is DWI because you provided.

IMO if they have good lawyers, anyone under 21 who provided alcohol will not be charged with homicidal drowning.

Last edited:
Nah... this is the one I initially found on Google... a white bro tank top on the guy at Nick the RA guy's service stop. ;)

And my question to the group, which no one I think has quite answered is, wouldn't a young man (e.g. 20/30's) wear this?

"Bro" tank top - Google Shopping

View attachment 368045
The bros and cons of bro-tanks

My initial thought is that younger folks tend to wear more bro tanks than older folks, in the year 2022 but that’s just my opinion. I linked this interesting article on basically the culture of a bro tank; although a college and specific students are mentioned, I think some strong generalizations can be drawn from reading? Thoughts?

The bros and cons of bro-tanks

My initial thought is that younger folks tend to wear more bro tanks than older folks, in the year 2022 but that’s just my opinion. I linked this interesting article on basically the culture of a bro tank; although a college and specific students are mentioned, I think some strong generalizations can be drawn from reading? Thoughts?

That article read like a Nat Geo doc about the courting rituals of So-Cal males and females; a total eye opener about how the male bro clothing presentation is just as important as that of the female in their natural habitat, the college campus.

so, to know how many people in the car, they would need to have a seatbelt on...or would the black box record if it *told* someone to put it on%
I don't know specifically about Honda but in cars for the US market there is a list of things the EDR is required to record upon an "incident" IIRC the current number of items is 15. The following website has a detailed write up on this topic.
The EDR would not record if the vehicle "told" someone to put on their seatbelt; it only records if a seat is occupied and if the occupant is wearing their seatbelt.

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member