CA CA - Kristen Modafferi, 18, San Francisco, 23 June 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Video at the link:

Oakland PI takes another look at cold case

On a side note, the current occupant for the home was incredibly nice for letting them take another look.

It's hard to imagine that it's just a coincidence that there was human decomposition sniffed out by a dog at the same place that Kristen was staying, if it has nothing to do with her. Is there some other logical reason why there would be human decomp in a house without a murder there?

I always thought something happened to her in the bay area, since she was "last seen" at work. But it seems like she probably made it home (especially since her wallet was found at the house). It would have been weird for her to go to work without her wallet.

So she probably went back to the house and was going to do something after she got home, but before she went to bed.

Then something happened to her there. She told her parents (and the bank confirms) that she took out $500 for rent, Griffin Cherry says he told her to get a check and didn't accept it. That seems all the more unlikely now. It really makes me want to take a closer look at her roommates:

Justin Neisuler
Griffin Cherry
Hans Opsahl
Kurt Opsahl
Rosie Levine

But I still find it hard to believe that Luque had nothing to do with it, with the way he responded as soon as he heard her name. Kristen was supposed to go to a belly dancing class the next day, at the Y. Jill's mother taught belly dancing at Berklely (I believe), maybe she was going to teach at the Y for extra cash, and Jill showed up with her, and Jill/Onuma or Jill/Luque or Jill/Onuma/Luque saw her there and went back with her to the house for a while after the class or something?

Then you need to wonder why the roommate said nothing, but they all were coming and going, some of them may not have even known it happened. But maybe they were paid off.

Remember her envelopes/bank statements had been gone through by the time cops looked at the place.

I just about fell over when I saw stories about Kristen in the mainstream media today. Unbelievable. I hope the new development breaks this case wide open.
However....I don't see how someone could have harmed her and placed her remains on the property/basement without anyone seeing or hearing anything.
I never thought the roommates had anything to do with Kristen going missing. Onuma is a much more likely suspect. But wouldn't roommates have seen this random guy at the house? I don't know what to think.
There seems to be certainty there is evidence of human decomposition where Kristen lived. But what if a former resident passed away there? What if there is a reasonable explanation? How can they be linking it to Kristen so definitely?
I am guessing LE knows more?
How could Jon onuma and possibly Jill Lampo bury Kristen in the basement of a house without any one of the 5 room mates seeing or hearing anything?
The roommates all seem to be above suspicion, just regular people who went on to live regular lived absent of violent crime. How could anyone of them have done something to Kristen without being seen?

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Cadaver-dog-said-to-detect-human-remains-at-6350313.php---

"On Thursday, Dostie put Buster — dubbed “The Wonder Dog” for his search prowess by local Mammoth Lakes press — through his paces. “Buster, let’s go find!” The dog, who had a leg removed because of cancer, went along the sides of the house and sniffed at several vents leading to the basement. He barked loudly each time.

“Thank you, Buster. Let’s go find some more,” Dostie responded, leading the canine into the basement. The dog, panting heavily in the heat, obliged.

Buster also alerted to a smell in the basement, as well as to soil inside, Dostie said. He added that he was intrigued by a concrete slab in part of the basement that he described as “kind of like a hack job. This came in later. That is weird, that slab.” The other half of the basement was dirt.

The dog also sensed a plume of decay along the backyard as it sloped down away from Jayne Avenue, clear across to a drain pipe with an opening further downhill a block east, on Perkins Street."

I just about fell over when I saw stories about Kristen in the mainstream media today. Unbelievable. I hope the new development breaks this case wide open.
However....I don't see how someone could have harmed her and placed her remains on the property/basement without anyone seeing or hearing anything.
I never thought the roommates had anything to do with Kristen going missing. Onuma is a much more likely suspect. But wouldn't roommates have seen this random guy at the house? I don't know what to think.
There seems to be certainty there is evidence of human decomposition where Kristen lived. But what if a former resident passed away there? What if there is a reasonable explanation? How can they be linking it to Kristen so definitely?
I am guessing LE knows more?
How could Jon onuma and possibly Jill Lampo bury Kristen in the basement of a house without any one of the 5 room mates seeing or hearing anything?
The roommates all seem to be above suspicion, just regular people who went on to live regular lived absent of violent crime. How could anyone of them have done something to Kristen without being seen?

Here is just a few things I've heard/read over time. (take with a grain of salt, in case my sources were mistaken)

1) The roommates were in and out, they made a big deal about the fact that they didn't miss her for days because no one was in the house at regular intervals together. I am guessing by the last names, 2 of them were brothers and easily could have been together away from the house.

2) I also heard the next door neighbor's house was a half way house for drug addicts. (which may mean nothing, but shows what kind of neighborhood it was especially since number 3...)

3) This was a squatters house at the time she was living there. These mostly (if not all) foreigners were hanging out in the house as it was in foreclosure. They weren't paying rent. They were making extra money having another squatter when Kristen came.

LE isn't doing anything. They didn't even know the news story was coming out. This was a former investigator taking a dog to the property and the news stations got wind. The family has to pay for the samples to be analyzed, the cops aren't doing anything with that. They are analyzing the samples to see how old the decomp is, to see if it's from the same time frame as when Kristen went missing. The results will be in about a month.

Also, can anyone clarify the rent thing between Kristen and this Griffin roommate? She withdrew $500 for rent, the guy tells her to get a check? What does it mean that "he didn't accept it"
He would't take the check? She never brought a check?

I heard this from someone who talks with Dennis on the phone about the case. I looked online and don't see this printed somewhere. What I heard was this:

Kristen was going to take her cash out of the bank to give to Griffin for the "rent". She told her parents this, and she did, there were records of this.

The rest of the story was explained by Griffin: Kristen supposedly went to Griffin and attempted to pay the "rent" in cash and he said, "no, I can't take that. I need a check."

The money was never found, and Bob (Kristen's father assumes Griffin stole it). I mean, what else would anyone sane assume, especially when they weren't actually paying for the rent at this squatter's house, cash should have been preferable over a check.

Interesting that LE wasn't involved in this search. They said they checked the house in the beggining of the case and "found nothing". I know they can't bring in cadaver dogs and spray a place down with luminol without a reason, but if they had maybe this case wouldn't have dragged on for 18 years.
I didn't know the house was in foreclosure and that the tenants were squatters. Also that whole concrete slab comment is interesting.

This is all pretty interesting although cadaver dogs are hardly infallible. I have always assumed she never made it home that day. As I recall, co-workers said that she has discussed going to Sutro Baths that day but she still could have made it back to Oakland. It is interesting that her wallet was in her room but, since she didn't have a car and wouldn't need her license, perhaps she didn't need to carry it. She would have needed her house key, a debit card and some cash. Women usually carry a purse but "hip young" women sometimes don't. We're these in her room? If they were missing, her wallet won't mean much. If her house key was there, it would change everything.

I don't understand the issue with the rent check. There are reasons Griffin may not have wanted cash. Who want's that much cash to carry around?

I'm from Oakland and know the Adams Point neighborhood well. Since the 60's, it has has been a good place for young single people who want an "urban" experience but don't want to pay San Francisco rents. The people who lived there were hardly "riff raff" they tended to be recent college grads with white color jobs. It is generally safe with lots of people out on the streets until late. Much of the housing stock is single family homes that have either been converted to apartments or rented to one person who then sublets bedrooms with shared kitchen and bath. Kristen's arrangement was pretty normal.

Does anyone have a link to information about the "Oakland" phase of the investigation?

http://www.examiner.com/article/have-the-remains-of-kristen-modafferi-been-found-after-18-years

"Over the years it was thought that Robert Durst, the son of a New York real estate tycoon might be responsible for Modafferi's disappearance. In March 2015, the police stated they could find no link.

On the Find Kristen website run by Dennis Mahon, the name Jon Onuma aka Jade Yoshino is a possible suspect. Onuma made anonymous calls to TV stations with names of people that he said had something to do with Modafferi's disappearance, but the tips turned out to be bogus.

The San Francisco Chronicle in 1999 reported that Oakland police Sergeant John Bradley said that "He's (Onuma) connected to the case. We've established inconsistencies with respect to his initial statement to us."

On "America's Most Wanted," three women came forward and said that Onuma abused and tortured them psychologically and one woman stated that Onuma told her why he was abusing her, "I can't let you go. Now you know what happened to Kristen Modafferi." The woman did not know who that was at the time.

Mahon states that, "...it is possible that he is a world-class idiot but still not responsible for Kristen's abduction." But the bottom line is Mahon doesn't really care about Onuma who died in 2006, but in finding Modafferi, and he hopes that his website will bring in tips that will do so."

http://www.examiner.com/article/have-the-remains-of-kristen-modafferi-been-found-after-18-years

"Over the years it was thought that Robert Durst, the son of a New York real estate tycoon might be responsible for Modafferi's disappearance. In March 2015, the police stated they could find no link.

On the Find Kristen website run by Dennis Mahon, the name Jon Onuma aka Jade Yoshino is a possible suspect. Onuma made anonymous calls to TV stations with names of people that he said had something to do with Modafferi's disappearance, but the tips turned out to be bogus.

The San Francisco Chronicle in 1999 reported that Oakland police Sergeant John Bradley said that "He's (Onuma) connected to the case. We've established inconsistencies with respect to his initial statement to us."

On "America's Most Wanted," three women came forward and said that Onuma abused and tortured them psychologically and one woman stated that Onuma told her why he was abusing her, "I can't let you go. Now you know what happened to Kristen Modafferi." The woman did not know who that was at the time.

Mahon states that, "...it is possible that he is a world-class idiot but still not responsible for Kristen's abduction." But the bottom line is Mahon doesn't really care about Onuma who died in 2006, but in finding Modafferi, and he hopes that his website will bring in tips that will do so."

What horrible reporting. Onuma isn't dead! I think they got confused with Dubie who died in 2006, but as far as we know was never in San Fran.

There is now a GoFund me for helping with the costs of the soil samples.

If you want to see it, the FindKristen.com website was updated

"The money raised will go to pay the expenses to have the soil sample tests performed."

What horrible reporting. Onuma isn't dead! I think they got confused with Dubie who died in 2006, but as far as we know was never in San Fran.

There is now a GoFund me for helping with the costs of the soil samples.

If you want to see it, the FindKristen.com website was updated

"The money raised will go to pay the expenses to have the soil sample tests performed."

They probably did mix up the names..

From 2006

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=cc36c891-4d2e-4028-818b-68fe2de17c70&sponsor=

"A Victoria woman is in jail in Chiang Mai, Thailand, accused of fatally shooting her American common-law husband, George Patrick Dubie, a cult-like figure who at one time lived in a lavish waterfront estate in Hawaii.

Margaret Crane, 48, was arrested by Thai police after she allegedly shot Dubie three times in the chest with a .38 revolver, then fled in a car. She was later apprehended by police"

snip>

"Dubie, who used the first name Daniel, was described as a freelance journalist who had also worked for the United Nations in the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami.

He had attracted controversy and police attention in the past. Dubie was at one time wanted in connection with a theft ring in Hawaii, where he lived on a $1.7-million waterfront mansion.

An associate of Dubie named Jon Onuma, also known as Jade Yoshino, previously lived at the home and was a person of interest in the mysterious disappearance of a North Carolina woman named Kristen Modafferi, who vanished in 1997 from San Francisco"

They probably did mix up the names..

From 2006

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=cc36c891-4d2e-4028-818b-68fe2de17c70&sponsor=

"A Victoria woman is in jail in Chiang Mai, Thailand, accused of fatally shooting her American common-law husband, George Patrick Dubie, a cult-like figure who at one time lived in a lavish waterfront estate in Hawaii.

Margaret Crane, 48, was arrested by Thai police after she allegedly shot Dubie three times in the chest with a .38 revolver, then fled in a car. She was later apprehended by police"

snip>

"Dubie, who used the first name Daniel, was described as a freelance journalist who had also worked for the United Nations in the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami.

He had attracted controversy and police attention in the past. Dubie was at one time wanted in connection with a theft ring in Hawaii, where he lived on a $1.7-million waterfront mansion.

An associate of Dubie named Jon Onuma, also known as Jade Yoshino, previously lived at the home and was a person of interest in the mysterious disappearance of a North Carolina woman named Kristen Modafferi, who vanished in 1997 from San Francisco"

I guess I can't hold it against them. Onuma has at least 7 names/usernames he's gone by. Jon Onuma, Jade Zekkou, JadeAvAssociates, JadeSeven, Jade Yoshino, exoticxdom, and Toshi.

I commented on the article to say he's not dead. It could be dangerous when people say he's dead so future people don't think they know a different Jade or Toshi, because even if he had nothing to do with Kristen (except a tip that should have gotten him arrested for messing with an ongoing investigation), it has been shown that he has beat women and had rough sex to the point of a lady almost dying, etc. He's a messed up sadist and thief, and I hope everyone who meets him, searches his name online and finds more about him.

On the FindKristen site, Mrs. Modafferi alludes to the fact that there is some more info they are holding back to protect the investigation.
In one of the videos an investigator says they have some evidence against Onuma (inconsistencies in his statements also mentioned in above post) but it's not enough to name him as a suspect, they can't connect the things they have.
The AMW video focuses on the personal ad Kristen may or may not have placed or may or may not have answered.
Then we have the blonde woman who has never come forward (jill lampo with blonde hair?)
And Jill Lampo's breakdown and confession to her uncle that Onuma coerced her into participating in kidnapping and murder. I would assume the newspaper ad is the connection that they are keeping vague, i.e. LE has proof Kristen placed it and Onuma/Lampo answered it or vice versa.
Now we have evidence of human decomposition at Kristen's house. So Kristen placed the add, Onuma/Lampo answer it. Lampo meets Kristen at the mall after her shift. They travel to Sutro Baths for sightseeing (dog picks up Kristen's scent there). Onuma/Lampo carry out kidnapping and murder, some of which occurs at the house on Jayne St. in Oakland (dog picks up human decomposition after 20 years) But how part or all of the crime could be carried out in a boarding house where 5 other people lived is hard to imagine. I know there could have been a time where no one else was there, but it's still hard to fathom. Another posted mentioned that LE should have attempted to pick up Lampo and Onuma's scent at Sutro Baths too-wow, now that would have been a good idea! At least it would have showed, even tenuously that all 3 could have been together at the same spot.
I hope LE finally has enough to arrest Onuma (well now they have to find him) he was probably long gone from his current location once he heard about the search a few days ago.

There is one thing that interests me about the boarding house situation, the fact that the property was in foreclosure. I don't know where the actual property owner is in all of this, but Kristen vanished in June 1997, and the home was foreclosed on (sold to lender) on August 1, 1997. Did the tenants/boarders/squatters have to vacate? If they weren't there under a lease agreement I'm sure the bank told them to get out as of 8/1/97 so they could sell the property.The next sale of the property takes place in 2004 according to Zillow. So I don't know who technically owned it between 1997 and 2004. There would most likely be another sale from the bank to another owner, but I don't see it on Zillow. There may have been a period where the home was vacant, allowing someone to dispose of Kristen on the property without being seen. Or what if the new owner was doing construction on the place and the perpetrator saw a chance to dispose of evidence (concrete slab). If anyone has a California realtor's license you can look up the complete property history to see who owned it and when. Sometimes Zillow isn't complete with the sales records.

There is either a body there or there isn't. I don't think there is any way a dog could detect the presence of a human body is someone had died there 18 years ago if the body had been promptly removed. If the OPD or FBI get a search warrant they can settle the issue. If the family wants to pay, my guess the owners of the house would permit a private search. I doubt there is a body there but it would be nice to close out that area of speculation.

What is frustrating about this case is there is so much "information" but few verifiable facts. The whole Onuma lead may have been a red herring, or maybe not.

This is all pretty interesting although cadaver dogs are hardly infallible. I have always assumed she never made it home that day. As I recall, co-workers said that she has discussed going to Sutro Baths that day but she still could have made it back to Oakland. It is interesting that her wallet was in her room but, since she didn't have a car and wouldn't need her license, perhaps she didn't need to carry it. She would have needed her house key, a debit card and some cash. Women usually carry a purse but "hip young" women sometimes don't. We're these in her room? If they were missing, her wallet won't mean much. If her house key was there, it would change everything.

I don't understand the issue with the rent check. There are reasons Griffin may not have wanted cash. Who want's that much cash to carry around?

I'm from Oakland and know the Adams Point neighborhood well. Since the 60's, it has has been a good place for young single people who want an "urban" experience but don't want to pay San Francisco rents. The people who lived there were hardly "riff raff" they tended to be recent college grads with white color jobs. It is generally safe with lots of people out on the streets until late. Much of the housing stock is single family homes that have either been converted to apartments or rented to one person who then sublets bedrooms with shared kitchen and bath. Kristen's arrangement was pretty normal.

Does anyone have a link to information about the "Oakland" phase of the investigation?

The Sutro Baths thing, can be explained that she went there another day, before disappearing. Her parents didn't know she was missing for about 4 days, and I'm not sure when the dogs went sniffing, but even 4 days difference just means she was there some day, not necessarily the last day. Or maybe whoever had to do with her disappearance, dumped something of hers there?

As for the rent check: Kristen was carrying that much around, as she had already taken it out of the bank. (I think I wrote 500, and I think it was maybe 400, sorry about that). Even if it wasn't Griffin and he was telling the truth about wanting a check. I think it's interesting she had a lot of cash that went missing.

Thanks for explaining more about the feel of Oakland.

On the FindKristen site, Mrs. Modafferi alludes to the fact that there is some more info they are holding back to protect the investigation.
In one of the videos an investigator says they have some evidence against Onuma (inconsistencies in his statements also mentioned in above post) but it's not enough to name him as a suspect, they can't connect the things they have.
The AMW video focuses on the personal ad Kristen may or may not have placed or may or may not have answered.
Then we have the blonde woman who has never come forward (jill lampo with blonde hair?)
And Jill Lampo's breakdown and confession to her uncle that Onuma coerced her into participating in kidnapping and murder. I would assume the newspaper ad is the connection that they are keeping vague, i.e. LE has proof Kristen placed it and Onuma/Lampo answered it or vice versa.
Now we have evidence of human decomposition at Kristen's house. So Kristen placed the add, Onuma/Lampo answer it. Lampo meets Kristen at the mall after her shift. They travel to Sutro Baths for sightseeing (dog picks up Kristen's scent there). Onuma/Lampo carry out kidnapping and murder, some of which occurs at the house on Jayne St. in Oakland (dog picks up human decomposition after 20 years) But how part or all of the crime could be carried out in a boarding house where 5 other people lived is hard to imagine. I know there could have been a time where no one else was there, but it's still hard to fathom. Another posted mentioned that LE should have attempted to pick up Lampo and Onuma's scent at Sutro Baths too-wow, now that would have been a good idea! At least it would have showed, even tenuously that all 3 could have been together at the same spot.
I hope LE finally has enough to arrest Onuma (well now they have to find him) he was probably long gone from his current location once he heard about the search a few days ago.

Jon Onuma is working as Jade Zekkou of http://www.zekkouultimedia.com/ , he's a web designer and works as making videos, lives in Hawaii.

Even though Jill was going out with Onuma at the time, she had been going out with Matt Luque, and I'm still suspicious of his being friendly on the phone until he heard Kristen's name and blew up. I still am thinking Luque and Onuma may have been friends. In which case, it may have been nice to sniff out Luque's scent too. But that's all moot now.

There is either a body there or there isn't. I don't think there is any way a dog could detect the presence of a human body is someone had died there 18 years ago if the body had been promptly removed. If the OPD or FBI get a search warrant they can settle the issue. If the family wants to pay, my guess the owners of the house would permit a private search. I doubt there is a body there but it would be nice to close out that area of speculation.

What is frustrating about this case is there is so much "information" but few verifiable facts. The whole Onuma lead may have been a red herring, or maybe not.

The PD still is considering Kristen a missing person, so nothing will happen until they categorize her as being in a crime, murdered or kidnapped, etc. The family is paying for the testing of the soil samples (though there is some fundraising going on), once those tests come back in about a month, they'll know if the decomp is from Kristen's timeframe or not.

I'm hoping if it is the right timeframe, the police and fbi might start getting back involved. Then maybe something can be done. I don't think Onuma is shaking in his boots, in fact, based on all my impressions from researching him, I bet he's laughing his *advertiser censored* off, as I get the feeling that he loves putting in false tips and saying things, like now you'll know what happened to Kristen, while threatening people. Because at this point what do they have to be frightened of? The police still aren't doing anything.

Wondering if this item ever turned up anywhere?

rbbm.
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/@...selected-uid=5b78372c7421b004b05fdbb1d4177fb9

" Kristen Modafferi has distinctive dimples on her face. She likes photography, painting, and other creative activities. She was not known to own any vehicles and generally used public transportation. She may have been carrying a green Jansport brand backpack with a black mesh pocket in the front."

dotr - as someone who knew Kristen (I was a HS acquaintance) and followed the case closely for years, I believe NOTHING of Kristen has ever turned up. Part of what makes this so baffling :sheesh:

The whole thing is baffling!!
Here we have a nice young woman, from a nice home and family, smart and creative, just starting out in life.
Did everything right, finished her 1st year of university, moved to a vibrant city, found a reasonable place to live, a very nifty student job, and began the process of meeting new friends. imo.

How on earth did Kristen end up missing, and with that disappearance, her name associated with a variety of extremely unusual and convoluted cast of shady, characters???
Wonder if any of this weird script , so to speak, was written and plot decided, before Kristan even arrived in SF?
Did she correspond with many strangers there before her move?

If it turns out that the scent the cadaver dogs picked up is verified as human, but not Kristen, might that suggest that someone living there at that time, was/is, an unknown killer, or associated with one? imo.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back