CA CA - Kristen Modafferi, 18, San Francisco, 23 June 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know if the new billboards have generated any new tips or information?

Are the police and the FBI still working this case or has concern faded away?

To remember missing and endangered adults around the U.S., the nonprofit Kristen Foundation for Missing Adults is holding its third annual “Remember the Missing” ceremony at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

The event will take place at Frazier Park, 1201 W. Fourth Street in Charlotte.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...en-modaferri-foundation-to.html#ixzz0rWDEJlH6

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/21/1515752/kristen-modaferri-foundation-to.html

More @ link, also, speaking of the new brick for the park in Honor of Natalee Hollaway.

Still no word in the media (that I can find anyway) about the identity of the bones found near Marin but Kristen was said to not wear jewelry which suggests these remains are not hers.

More than 13 years have passed since Kristen disappeared, and there appears to be little activity related to her case.

I've been re-reading the articles about her disappearance. I still have questions about John Onuma and his former ex-girlfriend (JL). Do any of you think they have real ties to the case?

And of course the mystery blond woman--she has to be linked to the disappearance--but all searches for her led no-where...any ideas about who she may be??

I've followed this case since 2002, always hoping that one day I'll open my email and see that this case has been solved for the Modafferi family. A while back, I read up on the subject of Daniel Dubie on this website: http://gpdubie.wordpress.com/
I remembered that on Dennis Mahon's website for Kristen (http://www.findkristen.com/) that he had posted a connection between Daniel Dubie and John Onuma. Upon reading the website about Daniel Dubie, I read that Margaret Crane, the woman arrested for allegedly shooting Dubie, used to wear blonde wigs to lure women into Dubie's trap. This immediately caught my attention because of the blonde woman seen with Kristen in the mall the day she was last seen and then the eventual connection between Onuma and Dubie. Of course, this could all be strange coincidences, but I think it's more than a little odd and have come to accept that this may have been what happened - not that it gives us any answers to where Kristen may be.
I just now did additional research to double check all of my facts before posting this message and I came across this:
6. This "Bonnie/Clyde" left a string of open cases in US. There is a missing woman from San Franscisco that Maggie may have information related to.
From the same website previously listed: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/167611-margaret-crane-trial/

I only feel that this reconfirms my suspicions that Onuma's phone call to police was not some random lie. Maybe he wasn't directly involved with her disappearance but I feel that he knows more than he's saying and that his connection with Dubie and Kristen's disappearance is not such a coincidence.

I just pray that some day someone will tell the truth to this family because they deserve to at least know what happened. Maybe she is still alive, living out there in the world after being brainwashed by Dubie - that's the least I could hope for.

Hello, I’m new here and have some questions:

1) Why is Kristen Modafferi’s name spelled wrong for this blog? This seems like the most significant and only active blog and her name is wrong. Fortunately google searches still work .
2) Someone in an earlier post was curious about Kristen’s sexuality. I find it strange too that there is no mention of a previous boyfriend, dating, etc… Seems to me it could point in different directions. Kristen is an above average attractive woman with the qualities to be a model. Surely co-workers, customers or others would be taking an interest in her and asking her out, etc…
3) I’m not convinced that Kristen was as totally naïve about SF.
If she did purposely put the person ad out there just to find a friend, surely it could have been misconstrued by readers, or used by predators. However, wouldn’t police have records of all phone numbers that called that house?
4) The coworkers should know more about Kristen than (2 of them) that they saw her with the blonde. It is of course curious this “small world” of coincidence that exists linking her co-worker Luque to Lampo, Lampo to Onuma, and Onuma directly to Dubie. Onuma being the one that called in the false report that she was killed by 2 lesbians because she rejected their advances.
5) I find it strange that her 5 roommates say almost nothing about her. Surely they have in their brief encounters formed some opinion of her.
6) I find it strange that no one says anything about her meeting people elsewhere. First of all she could have been hit on by customers at her places of work. The Galleria’s second level would be a great place to stalk her – any workers up there questioned about someone hanging around?
7) Did Kristen have a habit of not clocking out… like did she ever forget before? If she always clocked in an out regularly this would be significant. Perhaps she didn’t leave at 3:00 at all. Perhaps she left under duress. Perhaps she was so shocked, she left without clocking out. Now what would get her attention that much? You would have to know her pretty well to know what would get her that excited. If she often forgot to clock out then its meaningless. I have a feeling that this is the only time it happened.
8) I find it strange that no one talks about Berkeley. How was she going to commute to school?
She seems smart enough that she would have checked out the campus before her first day of class. Did she meet someone? Someone posted earlier that she would be the perfect target. As someone very attractive, artsy, interested in photography it’s very possible that someone approached her about modeling or “being in a film”. Via some spam I chanced upon a video sleeve that had a woman with very similar features to Kristen. So similar that I watched the video. What shocked me is that apparently the films were made at Berkeley – when I saw the green metallic archway a chill ran up my spine. This video series seems to be made about the same time period too. Coincidence? To me it’s that there are a lot of parallel circumstances going that bear resemblance to one another. It was also at the Berkeley campus where not too long ago a security Guard reported to police the strange behavior of a many (Garrido) who had 2 little girls passing out religious pamphlets. This report led to discovery of Jaycee Duggard who Garrido held captive for 18 years. So why wouldn’t Berkeley be a place to look for clues? She very likely had contact with someone there, even though her class didn’t start until the day after she disappeared.
9) There was some discussion about her going to a Solstice party or event. The solstice would have been 2 days before she disappeared. If she went to such a party, wouldn’t someone remember her? I’ve been around a while, and I’m just not used to very attractive women roaming in and out of parties alone and no one notices them. It’s all very odd. Even if she didn’t go to the beach on the 21st, I would be very curious just what did she do the previous 2 or 3 days before she disappeared. It’s known from the dogs that she was down at the parking lot near land’s end, but what day? What was she doing on the 21st or 22nd? Does anyone know? Did she work on the 21st or 22nd at Spinellis? Where did she live in proximity to Spinelli’s and Land’s End? I thought I saw reference that she was planning on living in Oakland, but I don’t know if that’s where she lived with those roommates? Berkeley was on the other side of the bay…
10) Did Kristen see a Dr. or Dentist etc… while she was in SF?

Help me to dispel these motives and theories:
1) Abductions:
A) Human Trafficking (white slavery)– was she targeted and selected by human traffickers due to her attractiveness and vulnerability? The Onuma link to Dubie has conjured up this as one possible scenario. I’m not sure if Dubie has been directly tied to human trafficking but he and Onuma certainly had the skills and means to make it happen. There is a global slave trade. Moreover, there is a huge sex slave trade. People with deep pockets get what they want. There are many stories about women winding up on private jets and suddenly finding themselves trapped in other countries. Especially prior to 9/11 it was very easy for people to travel on private jets unnoticed. Or for that matter getting on a boat, or driving to Mexico or Canada – all very quick and easy ways to pull someone out of the USA.
B) Human Trafficking (Prostitution) – was she perhaps abducted and brought into a prostitution ring. After being raped, beaten, and drugged women are often conditioned into being prostitutes as they feel shattered and can’t connect to their former self/life. Those that resist often wind up dead or missing.
C) Sexual predators - This one is wide open, everything from being put into a dungeon to quickly being murdered. Don’t these sorts of people usually have a thirst for more or choose similar victims? This causes me to wonder how could someone zero in on her so quickly. At face value you wouldn’t know she was so vulnerable. You would have to know it from her roommates, coworkers or her directly. Did she tell everyone she met that she was all alone and just got to SF? If she was more cautious than that, wouldn’t it lead to the personal ad, coworkers, roommates, a meetup at Berkeley, or the Beach - someone that was taking the time to get to know her. Here the 76% thing makes a lot of sense.
2) Someone from NC showed up - I find it very strange that she seemed to have no friends or contacts mentioned in NC other than her parents. Wouldn’t she have some contacts? What if they showed up in SF? A boyfriend? Someone she rejected ? Ok, then there is the outside chance… someone she wanted to be with but didn’t want her parents to know about. .. Again, like the personal ad theories I would think phone records would yield something. If she was a total loner in NC that too would fill in some blanks for me. Was she introverted?
3) Runaway – It wouldn’t seem to make sense since she already had a high degree of independence… but what if she really just wanted to leave her past behind. How would she do it? Why would she do it?
4) Amnesia – what if something happened voluntarily or not, perhaps involving drugs where she does not know who she is? You would expect her to turn up somewhere… there a lot of homeless people that wander around without anyone paying much attention – particularly up and down the west coast.

I put these in order based on my gut feel of which is most likely.
I don’t buy the rogue wave theory. It’s in conflict with how she left work, and with nothing being found or seen at all, odds weigh heavily against it. To me this seems like a way for police to just write it off. The cult theory is more valid, but then she would never been seen in public again? Also, I’m thinking that even if it were a cult abduction she might have not left everything so abruptly or quietly. If there is a cult that kidnaps people without any warning or trace then it’s little different than a human trafficking abduction until you start matching people with motives. Want to rule out as many of these theories as possible.

Kevmob77, i was wondering the same thing!

Edinburghlass, the lack of updates in this case is so maddening.

I just hope the police or FBI have some solid leads that they are working on.

Hello, I’m new here and have some questions:

1) Why is Kristen Modafferi’s name spelled wrong for this blog? This seems like the most significant and only active blog and her name is wrong. Fortunately google searches still work .
2) Someone in an earlier post was curious about Kristen’s sexuality. I find it strange too that there is no mention of a previous boyfriend, dating, etc… Seems to me it could point in different directions. Kristen is an above average attractive woman with the qualities to be a model. Surely co-workers, customers or others would be taking an interest in her and asking her out, etc…
3) I’m not convinced that Kristen was as totally naïve about SF.
If she did purposely put the person ad out there just to find a friend, surely it could have been misconstrued by readers, or used by predators. However, wouldn’t police have records of all phone numbers that called that house?
4) The coworkers should know more about Kristen than (2 of them) that they saw her with the blonde. It is of course curious this “small world” of coincidence that exists linking her co-worker Luque to Lampo, Lampo to Onuma, and Onuma directly to Dubie. Onuma being the one that called in the false report that she was killed by 2 lesbians because she rejected their advances.
5) I find it strange that her 5 roommates say almost nothing about her. Surely they have in their brief encounters formed some opinion of her.
6) I find it strange that no one says anything about her meeting people elsewhere. First of all she could have been hit on by customers at her places of work. The Galleria’s second level would be a great place to stalk her – any workers up there questioned about someone hanging around?
7) Did Kristen have a habit of not clocking out… like did she ever forget before? If she always clocked in an out regularly this would be significant. Perhaps she didn’t leave at 3:00 at all. Perhaps she left under duress. Perhaps she was so shocked, she left without clocking out. Now what would get her attention that much? You would have to know her pretty well to know what would get her that excited. If she often forgot to clock out then its meaningless. I have a feeling that this is the only time it happened.
8) I find it strange that no one talks about Berkeley. How was she going to commute to school?
She seems smart enough that she would have checked out the campus before her first day of class. Did she meet someone? Someone posted earlier that she would be the perfect target. As someone very attractive, artsy, interested in photography it’s very possible that someone approached her about modeling or “being in a film”. Via some spam I chanced upon a video sleeve that had a woman with very similar features to Kristen. So similar that I watched the video. What shocked me is that apparently the films were made at Berkeley – when I saw the green metallic archway a chill ran up my spine. This video series seems to be made about the same time period too. Coincidence? To me it’s that there are a lot of parallel circumstances going that bear resemblance to one another. It was also at the Berkeley campus where not too long ago a security Guard reported to police the strange behavior of a many (Garrido) who had 2 little girls passing out religious pamphlets. This report led to discovery of Jaycee Duggard who Garrido held captive for 18 years. So why wouldn’t Berkeley be a place to look for clues? She very likely had contact with someone there, even though her class didn’t start until the day after she disappeared.
9) There was some discussion about her going to a Solstice party or event. The solstice would have been 2 days before she disappeared. If she went to such a party, wouldn’t someone remember her? I’ve been around a while, and I’m just not used to very attractive women roaming in and out of parties alone and no one notices them. It’s all very odd. Even if she didn’t go to the beach on the 21st, I would be very curious just what did she do the previous 2 or 3 days before she disappeared. It’s known from the dogs that she was down at the parking lot near land’s end, but what day? What was she doing on the 21st or 22nd? Does anyone know? Did she work on the 21st or 22nd at Spinellis? Where did she live in proximity to Spinelli’s and Land’s End? I thought I saw reference that she was planning on living in Oakland, but I don’t know if that’s where she lived with those roommates? Berkeley was on the other side of the bay…
10) Did Kristen see a Dr. or Dentist etc… while she was in SF?

Help me to dispel these motives and theories:
1) Abductions:
A) Human Trafficking (white slavery)– was she targeted and selected by human traffickers due to her attractiveness and vulnerability? The Onuma link to Dubie has conjured up this as one possible scenario. I’m not sure if Dubie has been directly tied to human trafficking but he and Onuma certainly had the skills and means to make it happen. There is a global slave trade. Moreover, there is a huge sex slave trade. People with deep pockets get what they want. There are many stories about women winding up on private jets and suddenly finding themselves trapped in other countries. Especially prior to 9/11 it was very easy for people to travel on private jets unnoticed. Or for that matter getting on a boat, or driving to Mexico or Canada – all very quick and easy ways to pull someone out of the USA.
B) Human Trafficking (Prostitution) – was she perhaps abducted and brought into a prostitution ring. After being raped, beaten, and drugged women are often conditioned into being prostitutes as they feel shattered and can’t connect to their former self/life. Those that resist often wind up dead or missing.
C) Sexual predators - This one is wide open, everything from being put into a dungeon to quickly being murdered. Don’t these sorts of people usually have a thirst for more or choose similar victims? This causes me to wonder how could someone zero in on her so quickly. At face value you wouldn’t know she was so vulnerable. You would have to know it from her roommates, coworkers or her directly. Did she tell everyone she met that she was all alone and just got to SF? If she was more cautious than that, wouldn’t it lead to the personal ad, coworkers, roommates, a meetup at Berkeley, or the Beach - someone that was taking the time to get to know her. Here the 76% thing makes a lot of sense.
2) Someone from NC showed up - I find it very strange that she seemed to have no friends or contacts mentioned in NC other than her parents. Wouldn’t she have some contacts? What if they showed up in SF? A boyfriend? Someone she rejected ? Ok, then there is the outside chance… someone she wanted to be with but didn’t want her parents to know about. .. Again, like the personal ad theories I would think phone records would yield something. If she was a total loner in NC that too would fill in some blanks for me. Was she introverted?
3) Runaway – It wouldn’t seem to make sense since she already had a high degree of independence… but what if she really just wanted to leave her past behind. How would she do it? Why would she do it?
4) Amnesia – what if something happened voluntarily or not, perhaps involving drugs where she does not know who she is? You would expect her to turn up somewhere… there a lot of homeless people that wander around without anyone paying much attention – particularly up and down the west coast.

I put these in order based on my gut feel of which is most likely.
I don’t buy the rogue wave theory. It’s in conflict with how she left work, and with nothing being found or seen at all, odds weigh heavily against it. To me this seems like a way for police to just write it off. The cult theory is more valid, but then she would never been seen in public again? Also, I’m thinking that even if it were a cult abduction she might have not left everything so abruptly or quietly. If there is a cult that kidnaps people without any warning or trace then it’s little different than a human trafficking abduction until you start matching people with motives. Want to rule out as many of these theories as possible.

Really?

VeryVeritas

I can provide a little context that may make this mystery more comprehensible.

The San Francisco Bay Area is a Metro Region of over 4 million people. It has always been a Mecca for a type of young people seeking cultural stimulation. As rents tend to be high, it is very common for someone to rent a house or Apartment and then "sub-rent" individual rooms. Many people will rent rooms without really knowing their room-mates. As they would share kitchens and bathrooms etc, they would probably get to know each other soon enough, but it would be perfectly normal for a new roommate to make plans or have social contacts that the others would know nothing about. As Kristen had only lived there a week or so, it isn't so unusual that they knew nothing.

Kristen had just graduated from High School. She knew nobody in California. We know nothing about her "sexual history" (if there was any). Obviously, there are all sorts of lurid possibilities of what "risky" activities she may have engaged in but I am not aware of any indication that she was anything other than the adventurous, possibly naive normal girl she has been portrayed. Presumably she had both male and female friends in NC but it is not all that likely that any of them traveled 3000 miles to California to visit her so soon after she arrived.

The Bay Guardian is an alternative Newspaper that did a thriving business in "personals" before the internet took over. They would have a separate section for "men seeking women", "women seeking women", etc. They also had a section called "just friends" (or something like that). It was clear that this was for people seeking something other than sexual hookups. As I recall, many ads were from "new in towns" looking to establish social networks. It is my understanding that it was in this section that Kristen placed her ad. Her ad would have been rather typical and most readers would assume that she was just looking for another young girl to hang out with. Had she been seeking a lesbian relationship, she would have used the "women seeking women" section.

San Francisco and the East Bay (including Oakland and Berkeley) are connected by a Metro system called BART that can transport people very quickly between these cities. It would be perfectly normal to live in Oakland, work in San Francisco and go to school in Berkeley. (I believe her photography class hadn't started yet).

On the day she disappeared, she apparently clocked out of work at her normal time (3:00 PM). That is the last point her whereabouts can be verified. The co-workers "thought" they saw her with a blond woman at the Galleria but we cannot be certain it was her. The bloodhound tracked her on foot going in the direction of Sutro Baths which was consistent with an internet search on her PC. Dogs are not infallible and we do not know if she ever got there or if she was with someone else. We don't know, for certain that she "went missing" that afternoon; only that she didn't return to her room that evening and she did not report to work the next day. If she really did met with a blond woman in The Galleria, that woman is probably involved in her disappearance since, in spite of heavy publicity, she has never come forward.

The Bay Area had its share of sexual predators during that time and she could have fallen prey to any of them or anyone else that never got famous because he never got caught. There are none, that I know of, that used a female accompanist, answering a personal ad, as bait. There is certainly the possibility that this was a "one shot" deal that was never repeated.

Certainly there are any number of possibilities of what may have happened to her. Anything from her joining a cult to alien abduction, I supposed. Still, the two most likely possibilities are that she either fell victim to a sexual predator or a rogue wave at Sutro Baths.

On the last day that Kristen was seen, she left work, but did not actually clock out, and this was the first time that she had left without physically clocking out.

What might this small detail tell us? I see 3 possible choices:

1. Kristen just wanted to leave work and forgot.

2. Kristen was excited or preoccupied with something.

3. Two co-workers reported seeing Kristen with the mysterious blond woman. Is the blond woman real? Or could the two co-workers have fabricated this story to mislead investigators????

On the last day that Kristen was seen, she left work, but did not actually clock out, and this was the first time that she had left without physically clocking out.

What might this small detail tell us? I see 3 possible choices:

1. Kristen just wanted to leave work and forgot.

2. Kristen was excited or preoccupied with something.

3. Two co-workers reported seeing Kristen with the mysterious blond woman. Is the blond woman real? Or could the two co-workers have fabricated this story to mislead investigators????

Since she had always clocked out, I don't buy that she just happened to forget the same day she vanishes. So, no, she didn't leave under normal circumstances at all. I don't buy that she was suicidal, no point in going to work if you are going to do that, and no indication of any kind that she was.
I don't buy that she wandered down too close to the baths and was sucked in by a rogue wave. So... yes #2 is possible. and Real or fabricated by co-workers the Blond Woman has always seemed to be the key. It is the key that also refutes suicide or sucked into the ocean. There was a link between co-worker and Jon Onuma right? Whether co-workers made up the blond and/ or were part of the scheme is also possible. There was a set-up, a trap, and possibly a conspiracy. What happened to the co-workers since? What happened to her roommates since? What happened to Onuma since? Finally, if the co-workers were telling the truth, and they weren't involved, then why would KM go off with the blond? The idea that someone just happened to be watching and waiting and put a gun to her and managed to just vanish her without any link at all is also hard to buy. The abductor, if not linked to the co-workers must have known about KM, had to have been watching her, or was linked to her in some way. Investigators should be able to find the link. At the same time, I find KM's past also oddly absent. There was no talk of boyfriends, her sexuality, or her relationships from back home (friends or otherwise). One possibility for me is that someone showed up from back home. Perhaps someone she tried to get away from or was waiting for. Then, yes SF bay area was not a safe place for a single young attractive woman without ties. She was extremely vulnerable in a risky place. Yet, no leads? Doesn't make sense. There is something missing here, and so yes I would have to suspect the co-workers know more, or someone has not pieced together enough of the clues.
It's cases like this that I think the FBI could solve if they had the right people focusing on it. I do not believe that KM left voluntarily. I think she was lured, tricked, and/or outright abducted. Who did it and what happened next, is the question.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back