Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible "newbie" question here: Is there a reason they are waiting until Monday to enter a plea? Does this mean they are possibly going to plead guilty or still deciding on that? Or is this fairly standard?
I thought in other cases it was quite common to simply plead "not guilty" right away.
Also: Do we know what the protective order was for? I am guessing so press can't try to contact them. In other news - the few words RF said was enough to boil my blood. They simply asked if he was waiving his right to appear in person and he said something along the lines of "yes.. I guess". Like he can't even give a simple answer to THAT question - just gave me flashbacks to his deposition avoidance.
That is very common to not enter a plea just yet. This hearing is just to advise the defendants of the charges against them and to see if they are represented or if an attorney needs to be appointed. After consulting with counsel, then they will enter a plea. I'm actually surprised that plea entry would be as soon as Monday.

how did he get a suit in jail? i thought that was only trials?

I was wondering this too. But more because I was comparing the difference between PF & RF - the fact that PF had the suit and RF stuck with jailhouse attire. PF had 2 lawyers show up while RF had the one. I was wondering if they were working some sort of strategy or if it was more of a "lets toss all the money into P's case because that will be the longer term and where the Prosecutor will go harder. Meanwhile, pay more for a team of attorneys you may have the benefit of someone helping you look more presentable vs an attorney who thinks you are just fine in jailhouse attire for an arraignment. Just assumptions of course.

Megan Healy [URL='https://twitter.com/MeganHealyTV']@MeganHealyTV [/URL]13m
Replying to @MeganHealyTV
A proposed protective order due to the high-profile nature of the case was also requested by the defense, and aside from a few changes, was approved by the judge. The arraignment will be continued until Monday at 1:30 p.m. #KristinSmart #PaulFlores #RubenFlores #murdercase

[URL='https://twitter.com/MeganHealyTV']Megan Healy [URL='https://twitter.com/MeganHealyTV']@MeganHealyTV [/URL][/URL]10m
Monday is when Paul/Ruben Flores are expected to enter their pleas

It's fantastic that PF didn't get any bail amount. I.e., if he was let out on bail there's a good chance he would have disappeared forever - which is obviously why this happened.

Too bad that RF got a bail amount, but even if he can pay it & then leaves the country (for example), it doesn't look like he committed the actual murder. So, yes - he was complicit - but it was probably after the fact.

It's fantastic that PF didn't get any bail amount. I.e., if he was let out on bail there's a good chance he would have disappeared forever - which is obviously why this happened.

Too bad that RF got a bail amount, but even if he can pay it & then leaves the country (for example), it doesn't look like he committed the actual murder. So, yes - he was complicit - but it was probably after the fact.
If he bails out, he will be watched.

I was wondering this too. But more because I was comparing the difference between PF & RF - the fact that PF had the suit and RF stuck with jailhouse attire. PF had 2 lawyers show up while RF had the one. I was wondering if they were working some sort of strategy or if it was more of a "lets toss all the money into P's case because that will be the longer term and where the Prosecutor will go harder. Meanwhile, pay more for a team of attorneys you may have the benefit of someone helping you look more presentable vs an attorney who thinks you are just fine in jailhouse attire for an arraignment. Just assumptions of course.

since dad risked his neck for his kid, he prob would invest the defense of him. that is a phenomenon i have strangely seen before. i saw this in a case of this guy i went to hs with. the father had little to no record, it was an intact family, their kid was just kind of bad. the dad participated in a double murder / home invasion in retaliation for someone shooting at the son. in the end the son i believe got LWOP and dad DP. later the son appealed and was released like 10 or some years later but ended up dying at age 37.

its a really long but salacious read if anyone has time. i envision this case being similar with maybe less players involved.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/1-s076785-app-opening-brief-061808.pdf

Paul Flores, who was wearing a blue suit jacket, white shirt and necktie, is being held without bail. His father, who was in orange jail scrubs, was held on $250,000 bail.

Harold Mesick, a lawyer for Ruben Flores, told the Los Angeles Times his client is “absolutely innocent.”

TPR : The Public's Radio : TPR

Last edited:
Megan Healy [URL='https://twitter.com/MeganHealyTV']@MeganHealyTV [/URL]48s
Statement from Kristin Smart’s Family: “After nearly 25 years of waiting, today’s delay in the arraignment process was not unexpected or surprising. Make no mistake, we have begun the final quest to bring justice for Kristin....” 1/2

Megan Healy [URL='https://twitter.com/MeganHealyTV']@MeganHealyTV [/URL]16s
We know we are in good hands with the San Luis Obispo County District Attorney’s office, and we will wait patiently for the process to commence.” 2/2

What evidence would still be in a house after so many years?

LE stated they have not recovered Kristen's remains. You would think Paul or Ruben would not have kept any personal items of hers around. Perhaps they have something like that. I have also thought about the search warrants served over the years - and the Flores family following the case on-line/news and communicating with each other via email, text messages, leaving some sort of paper trail. If LE did recover the cars the Flores family sold/got rid of the year she went missing - was her DNA in either vehicle?

It will be interesting to find out eventually what evidence they do have. IMO

Ok, this actually makes sense. I can see how press conferences and things LE have said the past few days could fall under this. In no way am I supporting PF and RF but as a procedural thing this makes more sense after reading it.
It doesn’t discuss press so I am still hopeful we get some reporting that may happen to give some insight into what evidence they have found.

Possible "newbie" question here: Is there a reason they are waiting until Monday to enter a plea? Does this mean they are possibly going to plead guilty or still deciding on that? Or is this fairly standard?
I thought in other cases it was quite common to simply plead "not guilty" right away.
Also: Do we know what the protective order was for? I am guessing so press can't try to contact them. In other news - the few words RF said was enough to boil my blood. They simply asked if he was waiving his right to appear in person and he said something along the lines of "yes.. I guess". Like he can't even give a simple answer to THAT question - just gave me flashbacks to his deposition avoidance.
That is very common to not enter a plea just yet. This hearing is just to advise the defendants of the charges against them and to see if they are represented or if an attorney needs to be appointed. After consulting with counsel, then they will enter a plea. I'm actually surprised that plea entry would be as soon as Monday.
Ok, this actually makes sense. I can see how press conferences and things LE have said the past few days could fall under this. In no way am I supporting PF and RF but as a procedural thing this makes more sense after reading it.
It doesn’t discuss press so I am still hopeful we get some reporting that may happen to give some insight into what evidence they have found.
The media/press can still report on the case all they want. But we wont get anything further from LE or the prosecutor's office. But you also don't have to hear anything from the defense either. The police/FBI and DA obviously came up enough to get arrests, and I don't think the DA would file the case without being certain he could convict. But we won't know what they have until trial.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member