Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Just joined this board today, primarily because of the recent news that PF & RF had been arrested for the KS disappearance/murder. Excellent news, even though it's been a long time in coming.

I've only been following the case since last Fall. I read up on this, and then soon after heard Chris Lambert's superb Podcast. Wow. What incredibly thorough & detailed research he did on this case. I strongly believe that this podcast led to these arrests taking place.

I've got several comments/observations:

PF obviously had a long history of stalking/assaulting/acting inappropriately towards women. However, a lesser known (but IMHO equally bad) offense was what happened when PF was in middle school: A fellow student he was relentlessly bullying finally had enough & justifiably fought back - and PF then proceeded to nearly kill him. The kid ended up near death & in the hospital. And, all PF got was a slap on the wrist as a result - typical. This was gone over in detail in the podcast, and is a strong early indication of PF's anger issues when he didn't "get his way", etc.

I am surprised - but not shocked - that it took LE so long to arrest PF for this crime. What the hell took them so long?! Why wasn't this being investigated thoroughly from the beginning? I believe LE were dragging their feet on this, even though I'm sure they knew that PF was the #1 suspect from Day 1. I fully 100% agree that LE shouldn't arrest someone for a crime with no proof, but if they had done as thorough of an investigation as CL did on the case (and they definitely had more resources than Lambert), I don't see why they couldn't have done this much, much, much earlier.

Also re: the podcast, I was glad to hear that KS's parents blocked PF from joining the military in late 1996. They did this because they wanted to keep him as close to home as possible due to his being the #1 suspect in the case; they correctly felt that if joined the military & went overseas, etc. - he may never come back. And, as it turned out, after this initial attempt to leave (after the crime) I don't think he ever left the area again.

Also re: the podcast, PF had a lot of problems with employment over the years because of his connection to the case.

Though it seems obvious that RF helped PF with the cover-up early on, I wonder how much SF knew over the years?! It seems obvious she knew or at least suspected something.

Also, how much did PF's sister know?! She moved to Europe some time ago - probably to distance herself from her family & the case.

It's extremely telling that PF & his parents stayed in the same area all of these years, despite being social pariahs. Most other people in this situation would have left town long ago (i.e., the R's in the JBR case). But, obviously they were hiding something re: their house/houses, and didn't want to sell them & leave the area - because they knew that would allow LE to come in & start digging things up, etc. Of course, this eventually happened anyway - but look how long it's taken!

Last edited:
Kristen Modafferi (maybe)

That's it!

I remember this had caught my ear when I heard about it originally then I lost track with being so shocked with the case facts and that it was still open and Kristin wasn’t found yet. I’m sure (HOPE) that Sheriff Parkinson and his new team have looked at this and PFs alibi for this time frame. My thought regarding SF is that she was just being defiant. This case was another one that Dennis Mahon was looking into. I’m sure she was beyond frustrated and overwhelmed with him being around-whether she knew or not the level of involvement of PF & RF. I’m sure he brought her some serious stress. So considering how she has acted, Id think she said that to take a shot at him. JMO of course.
Here’s an article on Kristen Modafferri, a link to various podcasts on the case that I found and of course her case here on WS for those interested in checking it out.
What happened to Kristen Modafferi? One man's 20-year search for answers in San Francisco cold case

7 of Kristen Modafferi Podcasts Interviews | Updated Daily - OwlTail

CA - CA - Kristen Modafferi, 18, San Francisco, 23 June 1997

I remember this had caught my ear when I heard about it originally then I lost track with being so shocked with the case facts and that it was still open and Kristin wasn’t found yet. I’m sure (HOPE) that Sheriff Parkinson and his new team have looked at this and PFs alibi for this time frame. My thought regarding SF is that she was just being defiant. This case was another one that Dennis Mahon was looking into. I’m sure she was beyond frustrated and overwhelmed with him being around-whether she knew or not the level of involvement of PF & RF. I’m sure he brought her some serious stress. So considering how she has acted, Id think she said that to take a shot at him. JMO of course.
Here’s an article on Kristen Modafferri, a link to various podcasts on the case that I found and of course her case here on WS for those interested in checking it out.
What happened to Kristen Modafferi? One man's 20-year search for answers in San Francisco cold case

7 of Kristen Modafferi Podcasts Interviews | Updated Daily - OwlTail

CA - CA - Kristen Modafferi, 18, San Francisco, 23 June 1997

I also think SF was being defiant when she said this. Hitting below the belt. It was the same day she tackled him (DM) in front of the responding police officer to her call of him being outside her home, taking pics of her I believe. This was all according to DM in the YOB podcast.

My opinion of SL, she's blissfully ignorant to the past 25 years. IMO

It's extremely telling that PF & his parents stayed in the same area all of these years, despite being social pariahs. Most other people in this situation would have left town long ago (i.e., the R's in the JBR case). But, obviously they were hiding something re: their house/houses, and didn't want to sell them & leave the area - because they knew that would allow LE to come in & start digging things up, etc. Of course, this eventually happened anyway - but look how long it's taken!

BBM BINGO!!! they were safeguarding their property w hypervigilance! remember how susan's crazy bf reacted to anyone too close to the Branch St. house? he knows something too.

While I found that arraignment pretty uneventful- there was a mention of a protective order. I'm curious now what the details are of that.
Also, no changes to current bail settings.

Possible "newbie" question here: Is there a reason they are waiting until Monday to enter a plea? Does this mean they are possibly going to plead guilty or still deciding on that? Or is this fairly standard?
I thought in other cases it was quite common to simply plead "not guilty" right away.
Also: Do we know what the protective order was for? I am guessing so press can't try to contact them. In other news - the few words RF said was enough to boil my blood. They simply asked if he was waiving his right to appear in person and he said something along the lines of "yes.. I guess". Like he can't even give a simple answer to THAT question - just gave me flashbacks to his deposition avoidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper