CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I am standing in that corner right there with you supporting the Smart family and friends. By the looks of it we might just need a bigger corner!

I do know two things that are happening in the next few weeks.

A vigil will be held on February 1

Kristin would have been celebrating her 43rd birthday on February 20

It killed me inside the first time I read she has missing longer than she lived....

82758744_10158015942349248_7738732448288079872_n.jpg
Quoted bbm
Do you (or does anyone else) know if there is a special significance to the February 1st date chosen for the vigil?

February 20th would have made more sense....or May 25th. JMO

Quoted bbm
Do you (or does anyone else) know if there is a special significance to the February 1st date chosen for the vigil?

February 20th would have made more sense....or May 25th. JMO
I thought the same but no....

The 2019 vigil was held in November.
2016 in September

ETA: I just quickly found the dates for those years

Thanks!

But I do question now if some info is going to be shaken loose on February 1st....

JMO
Of course I would love that as well, the vigil being held on that date coinciding with charges being brought. Best birthday present ever for the Smart family and I would say 2 decades late to the party.

IF anything does happen I see him trying to get a plea again.

Let's hope Kristin's remains have been recovered. He will have NO bargaining power at all this time. (his lawyer presented a plea deal of 6 yrs and the location of her remains. That offer was quickly withdrawn before Smart family could even decide).

Of course I would love that as well, the vigil being held on that date coinciding with charges being brought. Best birthday present ever for the Smart family and I would say 2 decades late to the party.

IF anything does happen I see him trying to get a plea again.

Let's hope Kristin's remains have been recovered. He will have NO bargaining power at all this time. (his lawyer presented a plea deal of 6 yrs and the location of her remains. That offer was quickly withdrawn before Smart family could even decide).
The crazy thing about that plea deal is that he would have had 6 years to serve (likely out in less time) and probation afterwards. He could have resumed a somewhat 'normal' life within 10 years and perhaps even have disappeared quietly to start a new life.

Here we are 23 years later.....and he is still prime suspect #1 and he will live that way in many people's eyes way until the day he dies (unless he confesses.)

Stupid *advertiser censored** should have taken the deal. Put her family out of their anguish.

JMO

The crazy thing about that plea deal is that he would have had 6 years to serve (likely out in less time) and probation afterwards. He could have resumed a somewhat 'normal' life within 10 years and perhaps even have disappeared quietly to start a new life.

Here we are 23 years later.....and he is still prime suspect #1 and he will live that way in many people's eyes way until the day he dies (unless he confesses.)

Stupid *advertiser censored** should have taken the deal. Put her family out of their anguish.

JMO
He is a despicable little maggot. The whole family seems to be complicit. They filed a lawsuit against the Smarts and it backfired big time. They are not bright just lucky. The father RF was forced to be disposed. In the deposition he is so evasive. I imagine every question asked was very significant. Now it is on the record. There is no changing what you said if a criminal trial ever happens.

There is no telling how many other girls he has raped before and likely after.

ETA: spelling and MOO

[QUOTE="bradfordsleuth, post: Stupid *advertiser censored** should have taken the deal. Put her family out of their anguish.
JMO[/QUOTE]
Respectfully snipped.
These Perp losers have such little, impotent lives. Withholding info gives them misshapen pleasure.
Such impotent little people.

amateur opinion and speculation

[QUOTE="bradfordsleuth, post: Stupid *advertiser censored** should have taken the deal. Put her family out of their anguish.
JMO
Respectfully snipped.
These Perp losers have such little, impotent lives. Withholding info gives them misshapen pleasure.
Such impotent little people.

amateur opinion and speculation[/QUOTE]
Agree. They are. A power thing. With-holding body. Drugging girls.

and it seems to have started at a very young age!

At the rate of his DUI's and the slow crawl of justice. He will kill himself or more likely someone else. I want him exposed for what he is.

I better stop posting LOL
MOO

JMO

Did he do it? I'm really unfamiliar with this case and i'm sort of scared to delve into the details because i think people in true crime communities become convinced too easily. LE losing the earring and the searches of the Flores property not turning up anything would be more than enough reasonable doubt for the jury to acquit which is likely why charges have never been brought against him. I'd definitely go not guilty on that and i hope most would because it's not about the perp probably doing it but them doing it beyond a reasonable doubt.

Did he do it? I'm really unfamiliar with this case and i'm sort of scared to delve into the details because i think people in true crime communities become convinced too easily. LE losing the earring and the searches of the Flores property not turning up anything would be more than enough reasonable doubt for the jury to acquit which is likely why charges have never been brought against him. I'd definitely go not guilty on that and i hope most would because it's not about the perp probably doing it but them doing it beyond a reasonable doubt.
Before being definite about the 'not guilty' verdict, please research this case a bit further and then make your assessment. ;)

I understand what you are saying about people becoming convinced too easily, but in this case, there are some strong points that make him a possibility.

He was booked 2 days after she disappeared because he was the last person seen walking with her while she was confirmed alive.

He kept trying to be alone with her as he helped her along by letting her lean on him and gave her friend a very strange and disturbing vibe when he said goodbye.

He had evidence a black eye when he was picked up two days later.

The bloody earring found (and lost) at least ties him to her while injured and bleeding.

He is the strongest POI in my opinion.
JMO

Before being definite about the 'not guilty' verdict, please research this case a bit further and then make your assessment. ;)

I understand what you are saying about people becoming convinced too easily, but in this case, there are some strong points that make him a possibility.

He was booked 2 days after she disappeared because he was the last person seen walking with her while she was confirmed alive.

He kept trying to be alone with her as he helped her along by letting her lean on him and gave her friend a very strange and disturbing vibe when he said goodbye.

He had evidence a black eye when he was picked up two days later.

The bloody earring found (and lost) at least ties him to her while injured and bleeding.

He is the strongest POI in my opinion.
JMO

If i was called on to make a judgement i'd research the case as much as possible, i don't consider posts on Websleuth an "assessment", especially when there was nothing "definite" about my post. Seriously, where did you get that? I've been pretty vocal about how guilty he seems i just don't convict people on "seems".

The black eye is the only notable piece of evidence there because the earring was lost, it's difficult to trust LE on evidence they allegedly had and lost. I don't care if you've photographed it, produce it at trial for the jury to examine or forget it, it's your fault for losing it. I'll never understand why people automatically join LE's side like there's no BS and trickery on their part, i could write a book about their nonsense. If we allow the evidence to be the star then there's not much because LE lost the earring....

If i was called on to make a judgement i'd research the case as much as possible, i don't consider posts on Websleuth an "assessment", especially when there was nothing "definite" about my post. Seriously, where did you get that? I've been pretty vocal about how guilty he seems i just don't convict people on "seems".

The black eye is the only notable piece of evidence there because the earring was lost, it's difficult to trust LE on evidence they allegedly had and lost. I don't care if you've photographed it, produce it at trial for the jury to examine or forget it, it's your fault for losing it. I'll never understand why people automatically join LE's side like there's no BS and trickery on their part, i could write a book about their nonsense. If we allow the evidence to be the star then there's not much because LE lost the earring....

My intention was to encourage you to read up more as you mentioned being really unfamiliar with the case.

I didn't specify that the research needed to come from here on WS, and for that I apologize. I have read many other sources of info on this case outside of WS...I should have clarified that.

Your words...in the post I quoted, "I'd definitely go not guilty on that." is why I used that word.

JMO - not an attack and I hope that wasn't your interpretation.

My intention was to encourage you to read up more as you mentioned being really unfamiliar with the case.

I didn't specify that the research needed to come from here on WS, and for that I apologize. I have read many other sources of info on this case outside of WS...I should have clarified that.

Your words...in the post I quoted, "I'd definitely go not guilty on that." is why I used that word.

JMO - not an attack and I hope that wasn't your interpretation.

Hey, no need to apologize your posts have been fine.

I created a hypothetical scenario based on available evidence then said i'd "go not guilty", definitely stick by that. How many Websleuths members consider evidence before making up their mind? I'll give you a second to guess.. yeah it's like ten or twelve, maybe fourteen.

Most people are 100% convinced that he is guilty, but I've read a lot into this case and there honestly isn't any concrete evidence. There is absolutely reasonable doubt. As for the earring, it was found on/in the ground a while after and it's said it appeared similar to what Kristin wore. Well, there are fashion trends and likely a lot of people wore similar type earrings in the 90's and might've just lost one. We'll never know since it was lost and no evidence gotten from it. The black eye, yeah maybe he lied about it and didn't want to feel dumb. Stupid people do stupid things, it doesn't make them murderers. The dogs.. can be wrong. And can be manipulated to alert where they're expected to alert.

Personally, I think it looks bad on him, but if I were on a jury with only the "evidence" we have available today, I would not go with guilty. Now, if they dig up his mom's back yard and find her bones there or some other real evidence, then yeah. But so many people are totally convinced he's guilty with really not a lot to go on besides he was a creep and acted shifty and some other circumstantial stuff.

So.. Is he guilty? I don't know. And neither does anyone else

Most people are 100% convinced that he is guilty, but I've read a lot into this case and there honestly isn't any concrete evidence. There is absolutely reasonable doubt. As for the earring, it was found on/in the ground a while after and it's said it appeared similar to what Kristin wore. Well, there are fashion trends and likely a lot of people wore similar type earrings in the 90's and might've just lost one. We'll never know since it was lost and no evidence gotten from it. The black eye, yeah maybe he lied about it and didn't want to feel dumb. Stupid people do stupid things, it doesn't make them murderers. The dogs.. can be wrong. And can be manipulated to alert where they're expected to alert.

Personally, I think it looks bad on him, but if I were on a jury with only the "evidence" we have available today, I would not go with guilty. Now, if they dig up his mom's back yard and find her bones there or some other real evidence, then yeah. But so many people are totally convinced he's guilty with really not a lot to go on besides he was a creep and acted shifty and some other circumstantial stuff.

So.. Is he guilty? I don't know. And neither does anyone else

If you go with guilty on the known evidence then you have no business being on a jury, frankly. Regardless of this persons culpability his guilt isn't evident which is what jury trials are about. Would pay to be front and center when most members here got chewed out by a judge for their nonsense lol.

If you go with guilty on the known evidence then you have no business being on a jury, frankly. Regardless of this persons culpability his guilt isn't evident which is what jury trials are about. Would pay to be front and center when most members here got chewed out by a judge for their nonsense lol.
I agree and that's one reason so many innocent people are convicted. The show Death Row Stories chanced my perspective on this. People sentenced to *death* who turned out to be totally innocent. because of circumantial evidence, convicted by the media and public, LE coercing confessions. It's madness

I agree and that's one reason so many innocent people are convicted. The show Death Row Stories chanced my perspective on this. People sentenced to *death* who turned out to be totally innocent. because of circumantial evidence, convicted by the media and public, LE coercing confessions. It's madness

"Circumstantial Evidence" means something other than you think it does i think since it includes DNA and other physical evidence. Common mistake, think your problem is with hearsay evidence.

The biggest factor in wrongful convictions is trust in Law Enforcement. It's an automatic reaction for most to trust that LE has the right person and that we should support them because the person they are accusing is a bad person. It's the cart before the horse, propaganda imbued on us from childhood makes us assume LE wouldn't arrest someone unless they were guilty of something.

"Circumstantial Evidence" means something other than you think it does i think since it includes DNA and other physical evidence. Common mistake, think your problem is with hearsay evidence.

The biggest factor in wrongful convictions is trust in Law Enforcement. It's an automatic reaction for most to trust that LE has the right person and that we should support them because the person they are accusing is a bad person. It's the cart before the horse, propaganda imbued on us from childhood makes us assume LE wouldn't arrest someone unless they were guilty of something.
So so true. I used to have the same mindset when I was young until I learned a lot more. I thought, this person won't take a polygraph they must be guilty! These people aren't "cooperating", must be guilty! Now I know better, but many others (including those on a jury) do not. And the prosecution for sure takes advantage of that, like you said, basically propaganda.

But anyway, back on topic.. this guy was a weirdo for sure, but IMOO, nothing yet shows he's a murderer. I'm very interested to know what's going on though and I'm really surprised at this news and how it's been reported. Something "unexpected"?..Ive wracked my brain the last several days wondering about it

I'm in the bay area but still this is far from me and can't make it.
I go often to Paso Robles and SLO but haven't seen the poster before now will look for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member