CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so, I’m kind of new to this particular case and I’ve skimmed through the thread (so I may have missed something) but one thing I keep wondering is why police or university officials been so hands-off and even destructive of evidence in this case (ie. the university cleaning the prime suspect’s and Kristen’s rooms, carelessly losing the bloody earring, not digging in the area where the body is suspected to be etc etc etc) and why does this seemingly continue to keep happening? Why is there a suspected cover-up? What do the police have to gain by “protecting” certain people? Are the suspects *that* wealthy and well-connected? Or is it due to Cal Poly not wanting bad publicity (even though this happened in the 90s!!!!). I’m a follow the dollar type of person, but I don’t see that a mishandled case (as bad as it was) from the 90s would hurt Cal Poly that much at this point.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but from everything I’ve read, it seems that someone in power somewhere doesn’t want Kristin found...If I’m to believe what I’ve read.

Can anyone give me a good reason for this?
I’m just honestly deeply curious how one family (allegedly/possibly) got this kind of influence over people so high up....or how a case got THIS bungled.

And I’m not saying I don’t believe a cover-up hasn’t occurred, I’m just curious as to the how and the why of it. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ok, so, I’m kind of new to this particular case and I’ve skimmed through the thread (so I may have missed something) but one thing I keep wondering is why police or university officials been so hands-off and even destructive of evidence in this case (ie. the university cleaning the prime suspect’s and Kristen’s rooms, carelessly losing the bloody earring, not digging in the area where the body is suspected to be etc etc etc) and why does this seemingly continue to keep happening? Why is there a suspected cover-up? What do the police have to gain by “protecting” certain people? Are the suspects *that* wealthy and well-connected? Or is it due to Cal Poly not wanting bad publicity (even though this happened in the 90s!!!!). I’m a follow the dollar type of person, but I don’t see that a mishandled case (as bad as it was) from the 90s would hurt Cal Poly that much at this point.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but from everything I’ve read, it seems that someone in power somewhere doesn’t want Kristin found...If I’m to believe what I’ve read.

Can anyone give me a good reason for this?
I’m just honestly deeply curious how one family (allegedly/possibly) got this kind of influence over people so high up....or how a case got THIS bungled.

And I’m not saying I don’t believe a cover-up hasn’t occurred, I’m just curious as to the how and the why of it. Any ideas?
I’ve looked into the Flores family a lot and found absolutely no reason people would “protect” them. They are not wealthy, have no family in high up places. Nothing. IMO, the case was botched bc everyone was way in over their heads. Cal poly thought she’d come back, never took it serious until it was too late. This is not a high crime county at all- I think the sheriffs department didn’t have the experience to deal with it.

Cal Poly didn't take the report of their student missing seriously. This gave the killer ample time to discard evidence, move a body, etc.

I think the whole jurisdiction over the case early on didn't help. Cal Poly PD shouldn't have been handling a murder case (but they didn't know it was a murder at the time). The POI's family lives in Arroyo Grande which has their own PD. The county, and the best equipped department at handling a murder case is the SLO County Sheriff's Dept, but they weren't even asked to be involved in the case until about a month after KS went missing.

All of the evidence that we know of at this point is all circumstantial. I think the various departments kept thinking they'd get a confession, or find a body, or find a murder weapon, or find DNA evidence, which never happened.

That earring with the possible blood stain could have led to another search warrant, I wonder which department botched that piece of evidence?

I think like a previous person said, I think it might be bad press for Cal Poly. Having a student be murdered in one of their dorms opens up the gateway for them to be sued as part of her death. The podcast mentions that Cal Poly offered to make a “Kristin Smart Memorial” bench or something of the like, only if the Smart family agreed to consider Cal Poly not liable in her death. They were like thanks but not a chance.

But there were 2 other Cal Poly girl’s that were abducted and murdered, but were not on campus. The response to their disappearance was insanely different, as if to prove they learned their lesson. Unfortunately the guy convicted of their murders not only confessed to just those two, he was actually incarcerated for rape at the time of her abduction. I guess my point is if these two abductions/murder didn’t hurt the colleges reputation, why sweep this one under the rug?

Its disgusting either way. I think the police department should be liable for losing a possibly crucial piece of evidence.

That the earring was lost really bothers me. Certainly the police could have seen who was working that day and identified him. Really makes me wonder about the police there.
Yeah, you would think so!

I guess it wouldn’t be the first time that some evidence was lost or misplaced, I also read that the people who found the earring saw police take a picture of it and the picture was lost as well! Not sure if that’s actually true, but if it is...geez.

Cal Poly didn't take the report of their student missing seriously. This gave the killer ample time to discard evidence, move a body, etc.

I think the whole jurisdiction over the case early on didn't help. Cal Poly PD shouldn't have been handling a murder case (but they didn't know it was a murder at the time). The POI's family lives in Arroyo Grande which has their own PD. The county, and the best equipped department at handling a murder case is the SLO County Sheriff's Dept, but they weren't even asked to be involved in the case until about a month after KS went missing.

All of the evidence that we know of at this point is all circumstantial. I think the various departments kept thinking they'd get a confession, or find a body, or find a murder weapon, or find DNA evidence, which never happened.

That earring with the possible blood stain could have led to another search warrant, I wonder which department botched that piece of evidence?

This all is very logical and most likely what happened! That’s a good point about Cal Poly not taking it seriously: “she’ll come back, probably out having a good time...” and also about jurisdiction coming into play. And maybe most importantly, the evidence being circumstantial. It’s kind of a perfect storm.

The earring is very frustrating. I wonder when/where exactly they realized the earring was lost—what the exact story is, if there is one.

I’ve looked into the Flores family a lot and found absolutely no reason people would “protect” them. They are not wealthy, have no family in high up places. Nothing. IMO, the case was botched bc everyone was way in over their heads. Cal poly thought she’d come back, never took it serious until it was too late. This is not a high crime county at all- I think the sheriffs department didn’t have the experience to deal with it.

Thanks for that information! I’ve really been wondering about POI family.

I agree, and I guess sometimes mistakes can take on the appearance of something more sinister, when in fact it was likely just lack of experience at work.

Thanks for that information! I’ve really been wondering about POI family.

I agree, and I guess sometimes mistakes can take on the appearance of something more sinister, when in fact it was likely just lack of experience at work.

I just listened to the last episode of the podcast and it was actually an interview with the sheriff’s office and they made a point I hadn’t fully thought about.

Everyone who was on the force during the Kristin Smart abduction has since retired or left the city. Everyone who is working on the case now inherited the mistakes of their predecessors. There’s probably been multiple groups of cops that came through in the 20+ years since she was taken. Most of the cops were locals who had heard about the case when it broke before they were cops. It’s hard to imagine they would cover the *advertiser censored* of someone they didn’t know. It would seem the investigators are just as frustrated as the average concerned citizen about the mistakes the old cops made. The more I think about how many cops must have come to look at this case, the less likely any “cover up” seems.

I just listened to the last episode of the podcast and it was actually an interview with the sheriff’s office and they made a point I hadn’t fully thought about.

Everyone who was on the force during the Kristin Smart abduction has since retired or left the city. Everyone who is working on the case now inherited the mistakes of their predecessors. There’s probably been multiple groups of cops that came through in the 20+ years since she was taken. Most of the cops were locals who had heard about the case when it broke before they were cops. It’s hard to imagine they would cover the *advertiser censored* of someone they didn’t know. It would seem the investigators are just as frustrated as the average concerned citizen about the mistakes the old cops made. The more I think about how many cops must have come to look at this case, the less likely any “cover up” seems.

Yeah, I agree. I don’t blame those who came later...and I feel bad for the investigators dealing with it now. Can’t be fun to have come so tantalizingly close (bloody earring lost, cleaned/sanitized dorm rooms etc) and have any hard evidence evaporate.

I’m intrigued by the confiscation of the trucks and interested to see what they turn up. It’s great news they found them, even better that they found them in the family’s possession (Stashed by POI, it sounded like). POI got caught in the biggest lie yet saying the truck was stolen. Now maybe they’ll get some DNA. Fingers crossed.

*edited sentence structure*

The FBI just did another search at PL’s moms house. Which was after the Smarts were allegedly told something was going to happen. The search could of been what that call the Smarts received was about. I drove by the house during the search. I live close by obviously lol They removed many items. I also knew PL from around town. This area is small. Most of us here have unfortunately believed she’s been dead since she went missing. All these years most locals feel she is buried in the backyard of Susan’s house. The only other possibility that I’ve heard of allegedly by Paul. Is that she was put in the ocean. Either one are strong possibilities. If they could just dig up the yard that question would be answered.

So my posts were erased here due to violations but I will go ahead and try to repost them one by one to show the strange cryptography that I feel was used to plan and map out the abduction and killing of Kristin Smart

First is the entry of her name into the "My Name Is Cipher" to derive a message

The message points to "A Kern" and an "Army Mtn"

Attachments

• Kristin Smart Z13 Cipher Breaks.jpg
    Kristin Smart Z13 Cipher Breaks.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 77
Couple of notes about this one....this is labeled as Bissett Mtn, when it is really Cerro ? on Google Earth, so I think that there is a mix up with the search browsers but the photo is clearly there on GE

On the mountain the kern or the rock at the top has the words SAT carved into the face.....with a hatchet at the top

Attachments

• Smart Marker Army Mountain Hatchet.jpg
    Smart Marker Army Mountain Hatchet.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 36
I take the Halloween Card and lay the skull outline to match the scale of the roads that formed the shape I saw immediately matching the card

The card reads "But then why spoil the game", with the exclamation point touching the field. The shape is the same as the rectangle over the eyes, and the web is seen slightly offset, requiring the card to be shifted into the final place over the field.

Attachments

• Smart Overlay One Description.jpg
    Smart Overlay One Description.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 37
When the shift of the card is made you see the marks line up

Attachments

• Smart Overlay Two Descriptions.jpg
    Smart Overlay Two Descriptions.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 31
Moving to the bottom of the card to see the other marks line up....and that they seem to match the image of the previous Bissett Mtn photo

Attachments

• Smart Overlay Four Shifted Marking Description.jpg
    Smart Overlay Four Shifted Marking Description.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 24
Searching around the mtn, you see that the SAT marks carved some miles away are actually found in the ground at the base of the other mtn, Cerro San Luis Obispo

This reconfirms the reasoning that the cipher leads to the Kern, and the Army Mtn, and the carving leads to the other mtn at the base of the trail entrance up.

Attachments

• Smart SAT Terrain Mountain Highlighted.jpg
    Smart SAT Terrain Mountain Highlighted.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics