CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching an old episode of the show "American Justice" with Bill Kurtis; its centered around the abduction murders of Rachel Newhouse and Aundria Crawford by that waste of flesh Krebs. Anyway, the mention of Cal Poly made me think of Kristin. I can't believe its been so long and this case is still cold to the bone. It's so heartbreaking. I find it hard to believe that LE have absolutely nothing they could use to start building a case against that person whom is so very obviously guilty. It's bad enough that college police and local police bungled this case as much as they did; you-know-who would be behind bars if it weren't for all the mistakes mad. It upsets me so much to think about. Kristin deserves justice. Bump, bump, bump.

Bear,
You are a little too hard on Law Enforcement in SLO. There is no body and no obvious explanation how the "Prime Suspect" could have moved the body without access to a vehicle. There was minimal evidence this suspect. The only real admissible evidence is that he was the last person known to be with her and he gave an explanation for a minor injury that was refuted by one witness. (The positive hit by body sniffing dog is inadmissible).

A lot of pressure has been put on various friends and relatives who might have helped him but nothing has turned up. A very extensive search of the landfill that any dumpster on campus would have ended up and nothing was found. In was a very expensive investigation with a lot of media pressure. Sometimes things don't work out.

At this point, the prime suspect is as known as Kristin Smart is. I wonder why they haven't been able to find enough evidence to convict, even without a body. Is there any possible chance that he isn't involved, at all, with her disappearance?

Bumping up for Kristin and her family. Thank you to Knox & others in the Heather Elvis forum for making me aware of her case.

IDK how to include/insert links but over there (HE forum) is a link to a story from the California Register that basically says this is a VERY SOLVABLE CASE, if only enough pressure & publicity could be re-brought.

Bumping up for Kristin and her family. Thank you to Knox & others in the Heather Elvis forum for making me aware of her case.

IDK how to include/insert links but over there (HE forum) is a link to a story from the California Register that basically says this is a VERY SOLVABLE CASE, if only enough pressure & publicity could be re-brought.

Yes! Thank you guys. I also read the story from the CA Register. I hope this is putting renewed pressure on the SLO police and the Flores family.

It just makes me furious. After all this and all the effort Mahon has made, the Flores family could just have that stupid concrete slab/patio dug up and put an end to a lot of the speculation. But, they won't dare offer to do that, will they? We know why.

The California Register published a new story on Kristin yesterday. I'm not going to link it because it's not MSM, but it's easy to find if you'd like to read it.

Today the SLO County Sheriff's Office posted a statement regarding the story, saying it contains "many inaccuracies, speculation, and innuendo". I believe it's okay to link the sheriff's office's statement here, since it's LE. At the end of the SO's statement is a statement from Kristin's parents.

https://www.facebook.com/SLOSheriff/posts/10152664666078358:0

http://www.californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

KEMO
There is every reason to be hard on SLO law enforcement. What do you make of the cadaver dog that hit on the scent of human remains last year... twice? If you think that's inadmissible then you're ridiculous. You're also cruel to say "sometimes things don't work out". I bet you work for SLO law enforcement. I'm surprised you "work out" there. I smell a big fat coverup because SLO PD and Cal Poly Slo wanted to save face instead of finding a missing person. *****ty police work.

http://www.californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

KEMO
There is every reason to be hard on SLO law enforcement. What do you make of the cadaver dog that hit on the scent of human remains last year... twice? If you think that's inadmissible then you're ridiculous. You're also cruel to say "sometimes things don't work out". I bet you work for SLO law enforcement. I'm surprised you "work out" there. I smell a big fat coverup because SLO PD and Cal Poly Slo wanted to save face instead of finding a missing person. *****ty police work.

You are being a bit harsh and personal. FYI, I am not SLO Law Enforcement and I have no personal stake in this case except that I want justice done; same as everyone else.

A "positive response" by a cadaver dog is not legally admissible in court in California. Does knowing this make me "ridiculous"? Sorry you think so.

LE has a pretty good idea who did it but evidence is lacking.

This case is a classic example of how a victim's family is able to put pressure on LE to pursue an investigation and employ resources beyond what they may have otherwise been inclined to use. How much is appropriate? If it was my child, there would be no limit, but ultimately a line has to be drawn. There are other parents whose children have been murdered and LE had an obligation to them as well. Resources must be applied where they can do the most good.

If it were my child, I might feel otherwise, but it isn't so I get to play play the Grown Up and say "sometimes things don't work out". If that seems "cruel", again, Sorry.

Unfortunately, sometimes LE and the family become adversaries and it can get ugly.

You are being a bit harsh and personal. FYI, I am not SLO Law Enforcement and I have no personal stake in this case except that I want justice done; same as everyone else.

A "positive response" by a cadaver dog is not legally admissible in court in California. Does knowing this make me "ridiculous"? Sorry you think so.

LE has a pretty good idea who did it but evidence is lacking.

This case is a classic example of how a victim's family is able to put pressure on LE to pursue an investigation and employ resources beyond what they may have otherwise been inclined to use. How much is appropriate? If it was my child, there would be no limit, but ultimately a line has to be drawn. There are other parents whose children have been murdered and LE had an obligation to them as well. Resources must be applied where they can do the most good.

If it were my child, I might feel otherwise, but it isn't so I get to play play the Grown Up and say "sometimes things don't work out". If that seems "cruel", again, Sorry.

Unfortunately, sometimes LE and the family become adversaries and it can get ugly.

I disagree. Justice will never be done until Paul admits he was involved in the case. I believe that he disposed of her body somewhere and police must have an idea where. I am so glad her parents keep hounding the SLO police. I hope they keep hounding SLO police every single day until Kristin's dead body is found. LE should be pressured to investigate and bring justice to every murder case in town. It's terrible to assume that since there are so many murders that some of them will just never be solved. It's like saying "Eh well just another dead person, we can't do anything about it, time to forget it and move on to the next dead body." How terrible is that? Hire more officers if there aren't enough to investigate every death and disappearance.

I believe that [Paul Flores] disposed of her body somewhere and police must have an idea where.
He may have disposed of her body, or his father may have disposed of it for him. Most people assume her body is under concrete on his parents' property, and it probably is, but the police may not know any more than the public at this point.

I am just jumping in here with out reading any of the prior threads, but I found an interesting comment from a facebook person at the end of this article. They stated the fact that Scott Peterson (Lacy Peterson's killer husband) was a Junior at the same college, same time as Kristin Smart.

That's a bit of a crazy coincidence!

http://www.ksby.com/story/29119580/ksby-investigates-kristin-smart-disappearance

CabinFever: that's true about Scott Peterson. Small world, huh? After he killed Laci, there was some discussion re: whether he could've hurt Kristin as well, but I truly don't think so. Scott killed Laci because he didn't want a baby, didn't want to be married to her anymore. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who kills at random.

P. Flores was the last person to see Kristin, and had a reputation of creepy behavior that preceded him. This article from 2006 talks about how he was perceived by his fellow students at Cal Poly (page 3). It's also a good recap of the case: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun/18/local/me-kristin18/3

CabinFever: that's true about Scott Peterson. Small world, huh? After he killed Laci, there was some discussion re: whether he could've hurt Kristin as well, but I truly don't think so. Scott killed Laci because he didn't want a baby, didn't want to be married to her anymore. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who kills at random.

P. Flores was the last person to see Kristin, and had a reputation of creepy behavior that preceded him. This article from 2006 talks about how he was perceived by his fellow students at Cal Poly (page 3). It's also a good recap of the case: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun/18/local/me-kristin18/3

THanks for the article.

It's really a shame, that after all of this time, that Flores' conscience hasn't gotten the best of him (or his parents'). Kristin's family deserves to know the truth and have closure.

While I've always thought P.F. did it, I do have to wonder: If his reputation was really as bad as the article suggests, why would anyone who saw him with Kristin in a compromised state actually LET him walk her back to her dorm all by himself?

I agree that Scott Peterson is in no way related to this. The fact that he was enrolled in the same college at the same time is just a really creepy coincidence. He had to live somewhere, he had to go to college somewhere, and it's really hard to keep from being in the same age group as a whole bunch of other people unless you're 120. :)

Thanks for the article.

It's really a shame, that after all of this time, that Flores' conscience hasn't gotten the best of him (or his parents'). Kristin's family deserves to know the truth and have closure.
I read in that article that prosecutors offered Flores a six-year sentence for involuntary manslaughter in exchange for his cooperation. I think they should have offered him an even lighter sentence if he led them to her body and if the evidence supported an accidental-death scenario. It may well be that she died of alcohol poisoning or from aspirating her own vomit, in which case Flores's crime was concealing the death, not causing it.

On the other hand, maybe he raped her while she was passed out and killed her deliberately after she threatened to bring charges.

I can't decide how likely I think the dumpster scenario is. I think it's just as likely he would have backed his pick-up truck up to his dorm room window if that was feasible to do.

If she'd died from alcohol complications, he could have just called authorities like most people would. There would have been virtually no chance he would have been charged with anything.

I guess it could be argued that he was just that worried about his(apparently already poor) reputation if word got out that she was with him when she died.

While I've always thought P.F. did it, I do have to wonder: If his reputation was really as bad as the article suggests, why would anyone who saw him with Kristin in a compromised state actually LET him walk her back to her dorm all by himself?

That has always bothered me. The girl who was walking with Kristin and Paul thought his behavior was odd and a little creepy — he asked her for a kiss before she split off from them to go to her dorm, for goodness sake (who does that?) — but she left Kristin alone with him anyway. I wish she would've walked Kristin all the way to her room, even though it was a bit out of her way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB