CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they actually jack-hammer out that concrete patio to look underneath it?

Also, how far away is the family's cabin (?) where the earring was found? That is a huge key to this case IMO

That has always bothered me. The girl who was walking with Kristin and Paul thought his behavior was odd and a little creepy — he asked her for a kiss before she split off from them to go to her dorm, for goodness sake (who does that?) — but she left Kristin alone with him anyway. I wish she would've walked Kristin all the way to her room, even though it was a bit out of her way.

Yeah, something isn't adding up about that.

Possibilities I see are:

1.) Since P.F. seems practically certain to have been present as Kristin died, and maybe even contributed to it(probably, as I see it), maybe people are doing all they can in the aftermath to make him look as "creepy" and "potentially criminal" as possible - the, "Oh, I saw it coming all along!" approach.

2.) He really was that bad, but nobody took his behavior seriously(despite there apparently being years and years of it for them to witness) until he ended up being the last person to see Kristin alive.

I'm thinking it's #1.

If it's anything else, I would think that any possible way to get her back to her dorm that didn't involve him would have been preferable.

P. Flores was the last person to see Kristin, and had a reputation of creepy behavior that preceded him. This article from 2006 talks about how he was perceived by his fellow students at Cal Poly (page 3). It's also a good recap of the case: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun/18/local/me-kristin18/3

Wow, that was such a mean article (page 3). I'm assuming that while people thought he was creepy; he was more like an innocent loser or something and not dangerous.

I don't know about him being innocent, but that article paints a picture of him that is absolutely ridiculous.

Forgive me if this is a dead end, but does anyone how closely Paul Flores' roommate was looked at? All I've been able to find is that he was interviewed as a witness and alleged that Flores joked made off-color jokes about Kristin in the aftermath of her disappearance. It occurs to me that perhaps we have a situation similar to the Martha Moxley murder in which police zeroed in immediately on the guy last seen with the victim (in Martha's case, Tommy Skakel) only to solve the case years later by tying someone close to the chief suspect. If the roommate had a car, I'd certainly want to be sure I could rule him out before developing tunnel vision.

"Where is Kristin Smart? 19 years later, Cal Poly student still missing"

*This is the first in a continuing series about Kristin Smart’s disappearance.*

http://mustangnews.net/where-is-kristin-smart-19-years-later-cal-poly-student-still-missing/

The FBI provided a document to the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office in June of 2000, which included some of the details in the case. In the report, FBI Special Agent John Schafer wrote, “Based on the information in this affidavit, Kristin Smart is deceased and either died in Paul Flores’ dormitory room or was placed there for an unknown period of time … Paul Flores is responsible for or has direct knowledge of Kristin Smart’s disappearance and/or death.”

Smart-2-FOR-WEB.jpg

More snips:

KSBY Investigates: Kristin Smart disappearance
By Amanda Starrantino
Posted: May 20, 2015 8:10 PM CST
Updated: May 20, 2015 9:10 PM CST

Snipped:

Kristin would have been 38-years old on the 19th anniversary of her disappearance. Her family, friends, and investigators hope to mark no more anniversaries with her case unsolved.

Her parents live on the joy their two children give them and the strength that comes from the hope of one person coming forward with the information that will bring their daughter home.

KSBY-TV has repeatedly tried to reach Paul Flores and his attorney for comment. They have not responded to our requests.

Again, Flores has said in the past he had nothing to do with Kristin's disappearance and pleaded the Fifth Amendment in any questioning regarding her case.

http://www.ksby.com/story/29119580/ksby-investigates-kristin-smart-disappearance

What about the theory that taking her body off site so close to dawn , too risky?
I didn't know a cart had went missing the same night ?
The dumpster theory i can imagine tho.

"Where’s Kristin Smart? Part two: The investigation"

http://mustangnews.net/wheres-kristin-smart-part-two-the-investigation/

During a courtroom appearance for one of his DUIs, a reporter approached the Flores family in the Torrance Courthouse cafeteria. According to the Los Angeles Times, the Flores family refused to even speak to the reporter. Instead, Susan Flores retrieved a stack of small papers from her purse with the following lines printed on them:

“A long time ago we chose to”
“Handle our legal matters in a”
“Court of Law”
“Not in the”
“Media Court of Public Opinion.”

Murphy believes Flores will never confess. Denise, however, has hope one of the Flores family members will eventually talk.

Article talks about the roommate as well and what Flores said to him:

While Flores would not talk with authorities about what happened to Kristin Smart, he did allegedly joke about her disappearance with his roommate.

A San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Detective interviewed Derrick Tse, Flores’ roommate on July 12, 1996. Tse told investigators he asked Flores about Kristin’s disappearance. Flores joked in response, saying, “Yeah, she’s at my house eating lunch with my mom.”

This case reminds me very much of the Tracy Ocasio case. It's nearly impossible to look past the last person who saw them alive. In both instances I believe the victims were pressured into something sexual in which they resisted, with fatal consequences.

Bumping

Kristin Smart disappearance: How we can help solve the case

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/10/16/3857536/kristin-smart-missing-memory.html

Over the years, in a combination of situation and circumstance, evidence to fully link Flores with the disappearance of Kristin Smart has remained just out of reach.

District Attorney Dan Dow (full disclosure: I have done work for District Attorney Dan Dow in the past) and Sheriff Ian Parkinson each has brought in the most experienced investigators available to continue to examine the open case. Evidence continues to be gathered, and as new information becomes available, they will continue to build a compelling case with one outcome in mind: conviction.

It’s important to note this distinction — the goal is not to just indict a suspect in the death or disappearance of Kristen, but to indict the suspect with enough evidence to get a conviction from a judge and jury.

Did they actually jack-hammer out that concrete patio to look underneath it?

Also, how far away is the family's cabin (?) where the earring was found? That is a huge key to this case IMO

I remember seeing this on the news. I believe they did and found nothing. Im not sure about the earring, but I believe they lost it and cant use it as evidence.

Apparently, at the time of the disappearance, Flores' mothers house was undergoing work in the backyard. The area behind her house was dug up and within a week, a cement patio was poured.

A search warrant was served and the the patio was tested with ground penetrating radar. There was some sort of "anomaly" under the cement that could have been a body. Law Enforcement (I believe SLO County Sheriff's Dept) tried to get a warrant to jackhammer the patio. A judge would not sign off on it.

After that, there was a stepped up campaign to Villainize Flores's mother Susan. There was what amounted to a "whispering campaign" against her that promoted the claim that she had helped Paul bury Kristin where the patio was about to be poured. Susan finally relented and allowed the patio to be dug up. There was nothing there.

At the time of the initial investigation an investigator found an earring near the driveway of a rental property the Flores family owned. From what I understand, no positive identification could be made by any of Kristin's friends or family that it belonged to her. ( I believe it was a plain gold ring that was very popular at the time). Somehow it got misplaced and never found its way into the evidence locker. It had no evidentiary value but it's loss contributed to the commentary that portrayed the investigation as sloppy and haphazard.

Overall, considerable resources were devoted to this investigation; far more than most missing person cases but SLO SD has received considerable criticism for its handling of the case. It is frustrating to have a "strong suspect" right from the start yet not be able to make the case.

The real problem was jurisdictional. The University police had jurisdiction of the missing person report and they were not equipped to handle a major felony. The real problem was that the disappearance occurred the weekend after the last class but a week before the university closed for the summer. It was not uncommon for a student to sneak off for a short vacation before returning home for the summer. The University police did not take it seriously at first.

Caption I found online while searching for information about this case

Paul Flores purchased a home at ********. Kristin has been missing over 15 years - she was last seen with Flores - he lawyers up - takes the 5th and goes on with his life.
Meanwhile Kristin's mom....well.....you know.....
Watch video of Kristin's case at www.KristinSmart.com. It aired on Lifetime TV July 18th, 2011.

Did something happen to Kristin's mom?

Parents of Kristin Smart release statement on 20th anniversary of her disappearance

Facebook Page for San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office

May 25, 1996, the day our daughter Kristin’s life was taken. A college freshman at Cal Poly, she walked home with others from an off campus party, never to be seen again. It seems impossible that twenty years later our journey continues and we are still searching and praying for the recovery of our beautiful daughter.

Our family is eternally grateful and thankful beyond measure for the outreach and support of so many in the community and beyond who have shared their hearts, time and energy to keep Kristin’s memory, story and quest for justice alive. The twenty-year journey to bring Kristin home has been more difficult than anything we could have ever imagined. It is only through your support that our HOPES are still alive.

The fight and quest will not end until she is home, but our family has made the decision that it is time to move forward and focus our efforts on honoring and celebrating Kristin’s life.

She was a girl with dreams and visions for the future. We plan to find a way for them to live on. Plans to publicly honor and celebrate her memory and visions during the coming year will be forthcoming.

In that light, our faith and trust to bring Kristin home and prosecute the person responsible continues to lie with Sheriff Parkinson and his department. We are grateful for their unwavering commitment to our family and their efforts to recover our daughter. We are grateful for those who have come forward and continue to encourage those who may hold a piece of the puzzle to contact the Sheriff’s Office. You can make a difference.

Anticipating this twenty-year mark continues to be a difficult and stressful time for our family. In that light, we are choosing to observe this anniversary privately and will be out of town and communication and will not be taking requests for media interviews.

Thank you for understanding and honoring our request to observe this moment in time privately and for your unwavering support of our family as we continue on this journey to bring our Kristin home.

Stan and Denise Smart and family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member