Identified! CA - L.A. Griffith Park, WhtFem 725UFCA, 20-28, @Picnic Table, Jun'68 Cheryl McMillan

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nice thorough letter, Carl. I hope he takes it seriously.

Hollywood Land Motel
10730 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, California, 91604

This is the address I get when I google the old motel she stayed at. If this is correct it's not there anymore. Something is under construction there on the google earth pictures. Here's what the drive is from that location to Griffith Park:

CA-134 E
10.3 mi 18 mins
35 mins in traffic

10730 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604

1. Head northwest on Ventura Blvd
79 ft
2. Turn right to merge onto US-101 S
3.0 mi
3. Take exit 9A toward Vine St
0.3 mi
4. Merge onto S Hollywood Fwy
0.1 mi
5. Continue onto Franklin Ave
0.9 mi
6. Turn left at N Western Ave
0.2 mi
7. N Western Ave turns slightly right and becomes Los Feliz Blvd
1.0 mi
8. Turn left at N Vermont Ave
0.7 mi
9. Turn right at Vista Del Valle Dr
66 ft
10. Continue onto Commonwealth Canyon Dr
0.2 mi
11. Turn left
102 ft

Los Angeles, CA 90027

I found this googling the Hollywoodland Motel: It's an exceprt of a Memoir by Catherine James, called Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit. (Actually might be a good read). I can't tell what year this is supposed to be, but it may be the 60's, as the info says she went to Greenwich village in the 60's.

""Hollywoodland motel, a desolate-looking shabby dive overlooking the freeway in Studio City"

Billylee, the Pirates did have ball girls, or "Pirettes," but this 1978 article says they dressed more conservatively than other teams' ball girls. The two girls in the photos are wearing modest t-shirts and jeans. I'm not sure when the team first used ball girls or if their attire was always the same, but the article says the Pirettes program was a few years old. The Pirettes were disbanded in 1985.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAIBAJ&dq=pirates ball girls&pg=5220,6374342

ETA: This photo caption suggests the ball girls debuted in 1975:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...IBAJ&dq=pittsburgh ball girls&pg=4408,2397084

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/babcock_madeline.html

This girl has been brought up before. It says she has a slight swelling on her forehead. When enlarged, the picture of the jane doe at the coroner site shows a slight swelling on the forehead, but it's on the left. Is it possible that this photo is mirror imaged?

Edit addition: Or that the side of the head which was the swelling was on was reported wrong in the autopsy?

This girl has been brought up before. It says she has a slight swelling on her forehead. When enlarged, the picture of the jane doe at the coroner site shows a slight swelling on the forehead, but it's on the left. Is it possible that this photo is mirror imaged?

If the photo was mirror-imaged, the writing on the placard in front of her would be mirrored.

Edit addition: Or that the side of the head which was the swelling was on was reported wrong in the autopsy?

Babcock had four kids and repeated spinal procdures; you'd think those would have been mentioned in the UID's report.

Not that it should be surprising that many young women would aspire to look like Marilyn Monroe at that time -- but -- it's just that this one has such a similar look to her, and even in death is still very beautiful -- there is just something so puzzling here; the timing -- this is not about a conspiracy, this is about investigation and determining whether there are, in fact, any dots to be connected

An older woman of my acquaintance who used to be a model and actress tells me that in the sixties, the Hollywoodland Motel was where many aspiring actresses and other low-budget movie wannabes stayed while they were waiting for their "big break." She stayed there herself for a while, but she didn't recognize the UID.

Not that it should be surprising that many young women would aspire to look like Marilyn Monroe at that time -- but -- it's just that this one has such a similar look to her, and even in death is still very beautiful -- there is just something so puzzling here; the timing -- this is not about a conspiracy, this is about investigation and determining whether there are, in fact, any dots to be connected

I probably should have left out the comment about Marilyn Monroe / Kennedy conspiracy theories.

It might have given the impression that I was ascribing that sentiment onto others on this board, and that was not my intent.

This is from a 1988 article from the LA Times about a murderer who went on a killing spree at Universal Stuidos, that has nothing to do with this case, but for those of us who don't know LA, it says the following about it:

he checked into the Hollywood Land Motel near Universal Studios and may have slept for a few hours.

And I guess this is a picture of the place here:

http://www.apopkapostcardshoppe.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=10750

Hollywood Land Motel
Map
10730 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, California 91604-3540
(818) 760-8737

So Carbuff is probably right, if it's that close to Universal Studios, maybe she was trying out for some part or maybe she was an extra in some beach movie or tv show. Maybe that's why she had the bikini on? But how and why was she in Griffith Park? That's quite a ways from where she was staying? There was nothing going on there that day that I can find.

You, know I was looking at the JD photo again and those are VERY dark eyebrows for a blond person, and it doesn't look like makeup. I truly think this gal was a bleach-blond all the way and if we're looking for a runaway from prior years, I think we should be thinking brunette.

So Carbuff is probably right, if it's that close to Universal Studios, maybe she was trying out for some part or maybe she was an extra in some beach movie or tv show. Maybe that's why she had the bikini on? But how and why was she in Griffith Park? That's quite a ways from where she was staying? There was nothing going on there that day that I can find.

Disney, Warner Bros, NBC, and Universal all have studio lots in that immediate area. I worked for Disney until early last year on the 31st floor of the tower on the corner of Alameda and Maple and I could see the whole area for miles around, including all of the studios and the north side of Griffith Park. The park is not that far from the motel or from the studios.

You, know I was looking at the JD photo again and those are VERY dark eyebrows for a blond person, and it doesn't look like makeup. I truly think this gal was a bleach-blond all the way and if we're looking for a runaway from prior years, I think we should be thinking brunette.

It does on the LA Coroner website say that she was a bleached blonde.

Duh, it does say that, what can I say, I'm blond! LOL

The google maps directions say it's 10 miles and 18 minutes away from the park, is that not right?

The google maps directions say it's 10 miles and 18 minutes away from the park, is that not right?

I am thinking based on the comment that it was near Zoo Drive that she was probably in the North side of the park. I don't think that Mt. Hollywood drive exists anymore.

I figured that out after I posted the Google map from the Ambassador Hotel to the Greek Theatre.

The deceased looks like she's about 20ish -- I wonder if she was an extra on a film -- or -- was trying out for a part, and ran into trouble. Also if she wasn't into prostitution as a means to support herself. I'm sorry, I may have missed it, but did the coroner make any mention about the cause of her death being an overdose? Perhaps she was someone's lover, she od'd -- and he dropped her off there. Somehow I don't think she was from California, because I feel like if that was the case, she would have been identfied (?)

To expand on my previous comments, the LA Coroner website says that she was found on Zoo Drive and Mt. Hollywood Drive.

According to Google Maps, there is no Mt. Hollywood Drive. The name might have changed, or it no longer exists. But Zoo Drive bends around the Northeast side of Griffith Park. At its closest point to the Hollywoodland Motel, Zoo Drive is less than five miles from the motel (See map at link below). That route is flanked by the four major studio lots.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...118.33083&sspn=0.082683,0.130806&ie=UTF8&z=13

At its closest point to the Ambassador Hotel, Zoo Drive is about 7 1/2 miles From the Ambassador Hotel (See Map at link below).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...35,-118.273315&spn=0.165373,0.261612&t=h&z=12

To expand on my previous comments, the LA Coroner website says that she was found on Zoo Drive and Mt. Hollywood Drive.

According to Google Maps, there is no Mt. Hollywood Drive. The name might have changed, or it no longer exists. But Zoo Drive bends around the Northeast side of Griffith Park. At its closest point to the Hollywoodland Motel, Zoo Drive is less than five miles from the motel (See map at link below). That route is flanked by the four major studio lots.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...118.33083&sspn=0.082683,0.130806&ie=UTF8&z=13

At its closest point to the Ambassador Hotel, Zoo Drive is about 7 1/2 miles From the Ambassador Hotel (See Map at link below).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...35,-118.273315&spn=0.165373,0.261612&t=h&z=12

According to LA Trails, Mt. Hollywood Drive is closed to cars:

"MT HOLLYWOOD DRIVE - Length: 3 miles; Elevation Change: 600 ft
A paved road, closed to cars, crossing over the top of Griffith Park. It connects Griffith Park Drive on the north with Vermont Canyon near the observatory on the south.
Trailhead: Vermont Canyon Drive near the observatory, and Griffith Park Drive between the zoo and Forest Lawn."

http://www.latrails.com/hike/gp.html

If you zoom in at the end of Griffith Park Drive, you can see it and follow it. I don't see that it connects directly to Zoo Drive; however, it might have when she was found. It looks pretty close to Mt. Sinai cemetery.

This is just a wild guess, but I wonder if she was trying out for this part. This film was released in December of 1968. She looks very similar to the actress who ended up with the part, and you'll see Roger Ebert make reference to the Marilyn Monroe look in his review here:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19681226/REVIEWS/812260301/1023

I never saw this movie, it was considered very risque for its time back then. It was released by Cinerama Releasing, who was just a distributor, I believe the movie would have been either a MGM or Warner Bros. movie. I've tried to find out where it was filmed (locations) and exactly when. But I'm not having much luck. If I had time, I'd just watch the whole movie to find out where it was filmed in the credits, while looking for our doe in the extras also.
(Maybe later :)) Anyway just a possibility. Clips of the movie are available on Youtube.

Okay at the end of the clip I watched it says American Broadcasting Companies, looks like Seymour Films? I can't read that small print. Anyone know which lot was ABC back then?

This is just a wild guess, but I wonder if she was trying out for this part. This film was released in December of 1968. She looks very similar to the actress who ended up with the part, and you'll see Roger Ebert make reference to the Marilyn Monroe look in his review here:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19681226/REVIEWS/812260301/1023

I never saw this movie, it was considered very risque for its time back then. It was released by Cinerama Releasing, who was just a distributor, I believe the movie would have been either a MGM or Warner Bros. movie. I've tried to find out where it was filmed (locations) and exactly when. But I'm not having much luck. If I had time, I'd just watch the whole movie to find out where it was filmed in the credits, while looking for our doe in the extras also.
(Maybe later :)) Anyway just a possibility. Clips of the movie are available on Youtube.

Okay at the end of the clip I watched it says American Broadcasting Companies, looks like Seymour Films? I can't read that small print. Anyone know which lot was ABC back then?

ABC has been closely affiliated with Disney since 1953, long before the two companies merged in 1996. If it was an ABC production, it probably was on the Disney lot.

And BTW, of the four studios, Disney is the closest to Zoo Drive in Griffith Park. Easily within walking distance. And if you look at it on Google Earth, it is the ABC building that is across the street on Riverside Drive between the Disney lot and Griffith Park. I don't know how long the ABC building has been there.

ETA: The ABC building was built in 1998. I don't know if it replaced a previous building, or whether the ABC Headquarters were at a different location in 1968.

I'm still wondering why the COD isn't listed anywhere. You'd think it would say "apparent drug overdose" or something. For all we know it could have been a heart attack or brain aneurysm.
Personally, I don't think she committed suicide, I think she would have gone back to her room if that was her intention. I doubt she walked to the park all the way from her room. They found no abandoned car. By looking at the maps, it looks to me like someone must have taken her to that location, so who was it, where are they? It may have indeed been an accidental OD but I seriously doubt she was alone. Why isn't this treated as asuspicious death? No newspaper articles about her body being found. (I know the newspaper was full of something else that day, but still.) This sort of thing always makes me think cover-up. Probably just my suspicious nature, but it doesn't make sense to me....so many unanswered questions. I've seen LE give more attention to unidentified street people, which this woman obviously was not. So what do you guys think gives?

I just figured out which actress this woman reminds me of, I was thinking Connie Stevens, but no, it's Tuesday Weld:

fuq2k3.jpg

Name Tuesday Weld
Age 66
Height 5' 4" (163 cm)
Eye Color Green
Hair Color Blonde
Date of Birth August 27, 1943
Birthplace New York City, New York
Star Sign Virgo
Nationality United States
Occupation Actress

They looks so much alike to me I think she could have played her double if needed, though she was a tad shorter.

Tuesday was making this movie in 1968, it was released in October by 20th Century Fox, though it says it was filmed in MA. Below a link to a photo of her in 1968.

http://www.pseudopodium.org/kokonino/weld.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Poison_(film)

Probably nothing, but I sure do think they look alike.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back