Identified! CA - L.A. Griffith Park, WhtFem 725UFCA, 20-28, @Picnic Table, Jun'68 Cheryl McMillan

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just figured out which actress this woman reminds me of, I was thinking Connie Stevens, but no, it's Tuesday Weld:

fuq2k3.jpg

Name Tuesday Weld
Age 66
Height 5' 4" (163 cm)
Eye Color Green
Hair Color Blonde
Date of Birth August 27, 1943
Birthplace New York City, New York
Star Sign Virgo
Nationality United States
Occupation Actress

They looks so much alike to me I think she could have played her double if needed, though she was a tad shorter.

Tuesday was making this movie in 1968, it was released in October by 20th Century Fox, though it says it was filmed in MA. Below a link to a photo of her in 1968.

http://www.pseudopodium.org/kokonino/weld.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Poison_(film)

Probably nothing, but I sure do think they look alike.

Yes, she's very pretty and that was a very popular look at the time. I seem to recall Weld making a bunch of bikini movies -- or somebody who looked a lot like her, anyway.

If the movie came out in October of 1968, it was probably being filmed in 1967, more likely earlier. Production times were long, even for movies of low production quality.

In looking for an article about a dead body turning up in Griffith Park in June of 68, I can't find one. However, it does look like the film Candy was indeed being filmed at that time as there was an article int he LA Times about it on June 9, 1968. Here's the little snippet.

Candy

Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) - Los Angeles, Calif.
Date: Jun 9, 1968
Start Page: A34
Pages: 4
Text Word Count: 3673

Abstract (Document Summary)

Ewa Aulin, the 17-year-old Swedish ex-Miss Teen International, lay on her back across the strings of an open grand piano. Miss Aulin wore a remarkably skimpy slip and comprehensive bright pink body make-up.

I wrote to the LA Coroner's office to see if we can get a COD and a TOD. Will share if I get any info back.

This is quite a long-shot but thought I'd suggest it, just in case.

Mary Ann Switalski
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2277dfil.html

She disappeared in 1963, under strange circumstances, but it was believed she was headed toward California.

At the time of her disappearance she was within the height and weight range of this particular UID & it is possible she remained that height and weight for 5 years. (I'm the same height now at 37 that I was at 16.)

Her eyes are listed as being hazel which can look brown some circumstances.

Her hair is listed as blonde but looks dark in the photo provided.
The photo is of poor quality though.

This is quite a long-shot but thought I'd suggest it, just in case.

Mary Ann Switalski
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2277dfil.html

She disappeared in 1963, under strange circumstances, but it was believed she was headed toward California.

At the time of her disappearance she was within the height and weight range of this particular UID & it is possible she remained that height and weight for 5 years. (I'm the same height now at 37 that I was at 16.)

Her eyes are listed as being hazel which can look brown some circumstances.

Her hair is listed as blonde but looks dark in the photo provided.
The photo is of poor quality though.

from your CP link: It is believed that Mary Ann may have joined a magazine door-to-door sales group that was headed to California.
The husband and wife owners of the sales organization gave conflicting statements. The wife stated that Mary Ann left with the sales group and the husband stated that Mary Ann never left Chicago.

OMG, go here and read the #5 Girl With Dark Curly Hair & Blue Shirt - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

someone on the NG pictures of Alcala was talking about the same scenario around the same time. Who were these people?

from your CP link: It is believed that Mary Ann may have joined a magazine door-to-door sales group that was headed to California.
The husband and wife owners of the sales organization gave conflicting statements. The wife stated that Mary Ann left with the sales group and the husband stated that Mary Ann never left Chicago.

OMG, go here and read the #5 Girl With Dark Curly Hair & Blue Shirt - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

someone on the NG pictures of Alcala was talking about the same scenario around the same time. Who were these people?

That was the part of the report that caused me the most second-guessing about whether I should even suggest this girl.
There's definitely something hinky about the conflicting statements of the husband and wife. I wish there was more information available on this sales group!

Hi

I have a speculation about the girl at the park bench in Griffith park. "Missadventure ?? "

The movie that was being filmed at the time "Good Grief It's Candy" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062776/

stared a 23 year old sweedish actress , an ex miss sweeden ?
She got good reviews for Good Grief It's Candy (1968) but at the age of 23, she felt that movies wasn't anything for her.

MV5BMzYyNzYyMjUyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODczOTcxMQ@@._V1._CR0,0,333,333_SS90_.jpg

I was wondering if maybe she( miss bikini jane doe) was a cast member of this film ? as a standin for candy ?
Do records still exist about what was being filmed in the shooting schedule for this film on the day this bikini miss was found ? Beach scene that day ?
Another angle , are there any records of salaries to employees at the studio, especially any salary money that was not cashed by employees who might have disapeared ?

It's a long shot that such records still exist. The movie was a low grade item mentioning the girl in the movie experimenting with drugs , mixtures of drugs , who knows maybe she was administered some of the real stuff and od in the park , her head droping to the park pinic table and causing the bruise on her head.

just some speculation .. miss bikini and Ewa

ce0db322-af63-4c20-9292-cdd17059cb75.jpg
ewa3.jpg

ewaringo.jpg
Ewa and a costar in the movie .... Dare I ask what that body language is saying ? vs the script oh well I digress ...

Hi

ewaringo.jpg

Ewa and a costar in the movie .... Dare I ask what that body language is saying ? vs the script oh well I digress ...

I'm sure that most of us don't need to be told, but in case some of the younger members don't recognize the co-star, its Ringo Starr of the Beatles.

BTW, welcome to Websleuths, GeoStar. That is interesting and possibly useful info.

Carlk, maybe you can re-do your image to show this girl with the brown hair she was born with? Would that be too much work? I tried to do it in a program I had and it looked terrible. I keep thinking this girl hasn't been identified because everyone is looking for a runaway blond, when she would have been a brunette. Just wondering. :)

Back when I was a young woman, it was not uncommon to buy an antique wedding ring to wear if you had a job that put you in a situation where guys would hit on you a lot. It was especially effective against middle-aged married men. If she had a bikini-girl type of job, she might have needed defense :p.

In the sixties it would also have been common to wear a wedding ring and pretend to be married if you wanted to share a hotel room with a man. Not every hotel manager would take issue with an unmarried couple, but it was a risk easily avoided with a ring and giving the same surname. Maybe she was anticipating her "husband" joining her?

Carlk, maybe you can re-do your image to show this girl with the brown hair she was born with? Would that be too much work? I tried to do it in a program I had and it looked terrible. I keep thinking this girl hasn't been identified because everyone is looking for a runaway blond, when she would have been a brunette. Just wondering. :)

It is quite a bit of work to try to draw her hair freehand using photo editing software, but if you can find an image of someone with a hairstyle like you want, either PM me a link, or send me a jpg file (you have my e-mail address), and I can overlay it.

I just saw Madeline Babcock in today's Charley updates and realized that she looks quite a bit like GPJD. Gaia227 brought her up earlier in this thread (last November), but the posts didn't get much follow-up discussion. Obviously, Madeline, like GPJD, is a brunette bleach-blonde.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/babcock_madeline.html

babcock_madeline.jpg
babcock_madeline4.jpg
babcock_madeline3.jpg
babcock_madeline5.jpg

ce0db322-af63-4c20-9292-cdd17059cb75.jpg

Her DLC (11-Jun-68) was a few days after GPJD's death, but it could be explained as maybe the DLC was a case of mistaken memory (although the Charley Project narrative seems to be pretty clear about the time and date that she was spoken to by telephone, and the approximate date (Mid July '68) that she was reported missing.

GPJD is a few inches taller than Madeline's reported height. And she is a bit older than GPJD's estimated age range. Neither of them are too far off though.

On GPJD's ring was inscribed "CB to EJ 9-4-20 18K". Could the "B" in "CB" stand for Babcock? That is her married surname, so perhaps her husband inherited it from his mother, and then gave it to her as sort of a family heirloom. In that scenario, CB would be his father's initials, and EJ would be his mother's, and the date would be their wedding date.

Madeline's Charley page says that she wore her hair with bangs to cover a bump on the right side of her forehead. In GPJD's PM photo she has bangs hanging over the right side of her forehead. - But she does have what appears to be a bump on the left side of her forehead. (GeoStar alluded to it in post #90)

WARNING - Postmortem photo at link:
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2548619530045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

She has a lot of identifyable medical conditions, but the LA County Website is very thin on any physical characteristics info regarding this UID (or for that matter, any UID on their site).

A couple of other minor things that caught my attention about Madeline Babcock.

(1) She was from Venice, CA (i.e., a beach community). This would be consistent with the bikini that she was wearing.

(2) She is shown in her brunette photo wearing a white pullover coat. The UID was also wearing a white coat over her bikini.

(3) Madeline's Charley narrative indicates that she "planned to have a friend drive her to her mother's residence the following day, which was located approximately 20 miles from Babcock's Venice apartment". Griffith park is about 20 miles from Venice (See map at link below).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...33054&sspn=0.330938,0.523224&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11

(4) Madeline apparently cleaned out her Venice Apartment before she disappeared. That would be consistent with the UID checking into the motel in Hollywood.

(5) Madeline was said to have broken her nose prior to her disappearance. In the postmortem photo, the bridge of UID's nose appears assymetrical. (This may just be an illusion created by shadows though).

According to Madeline's sister's website (http://members.fortunecity.com/maggyw/story.htm) those dates are fuzzy. She doesn't seem to remember more precisely than a weekend in June. And it seems more than possible that Madeline was already dead when the sister's narrative starts.

I dunno. It looks close but it doesn't quite fit. The nose doesn't look quite right to me, either. But it's too close not to submit.

At the Web site Madeline Basbcock's sister has for her, there is a page of photos--some too old to be useful, but several were taken close to the time of her disappearance. They tend to be grainy, but the resemblance still appears pretty good. Might it be worth contacting the sister to see if she is willing to view the post-mortem photos of this JD?

At the Web site Madeline Basbcock's sister has for her, there is a page of photos--some too old to be useful, but several were taken close to the time of her disappearance. They tend to be grainy, but the resemblance still appears pretty good. Might it be worth contacting the sister to see if she is willing to view the post-mortem photos of this JD?

Her sister has a Zabasearch online form addressed to Madeline, requesting that "If you are my missing sister please contact me". She created the online Zabasearch form in March 08.

I sent a message to her, and requested that she contact me regarding an unidentified woman who died in Jun 68, and whose appearance and circumstances fit reasonably well to Madeline.

Yes,I too brought her up in post #65. Madeline wore her bangs to cover a slight bump on her forehead, and the JD to me appears to have a bump on her forehead, though it seems to be on the opposite side. Hope you get an answer!

I just spoke with Liz Napoles, who is the primary cold case investigator for the LA County Coroner. She says that she found in the case file that Madeline had been submitted as a possible match, but she couldn't find anything to indicate that she had been ruled-out. But since the case file was fairly large, there might be something regarding a rule-out buried in the case file.

She did say that the lead was not being actively pursued, and she seemed genuinely interested in the additional information that I had.

She mentioned that a new law was passed to have the postmortem photos removed from the website. This is why we can't see the images anymore, and she admitted that it makes the job of identifying these persons much more complicated.

I asked her to please let me know if there is any information on this UID regarding rule-out listings, which identifiers (i.e., DNA, Dental, or fingerprints) are available, or additional physical details that would aid in her identification. She said that she would be glad to do so, and asked that I call back if I get any additional info on Madeline that would help the investigation.

BTW, she is the contact person for all Los Angeles County UID cold cases. She just started on her position in that capacity today. My impression is that she is friendly and enthusiastic. I am glad to see this, because from what I had heard, LA County was not a tipster-friendly jurisdiction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKP
Back