GUILTY CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It occurred to me today that he wants attention. Mule Creek prison lacks the bay view of San Quentin. That's probably why this Project Innocence business came up now. He's brainstorming ways to get attention.

Fair point. Appreciate this perspective. In response, I would say that let's say he slipped up in what he told Investigators - it doesn't change the fact that when asked where he went fishing, he was honest as to approximately where he was and I think even the most unintelligent criminal, would not tell Investigators they were fishing in the same area or same location/approx area where they disposed of a body. That makes 0 sense to me.
Unless you're arrogant enough to think that you won't get caught...

Unless you're arrogant enough to think that you won't get caught...
@LinasK VERY fair point. We have certainly seen our fair share of narcissistic, egotistical, arrogant killers before especially with how they interact with law enforcement before they are "caught" (BTK, Zodiac, Son of Sam, etc) - it is not impossible for Scott Peterson to be THAT confident that he would not get caught that he wouldn't care to say if he was fishing in the same area. I don't know if I personally can see that given Scott's other interactions with the police (cooperating, not cooperating) but again, you raise a fair argument.

See, here's the thing........ There are those of us that followed Laci going missing from the very start. We followed everything as it happened. When I say that I am 1000% certain that they have the right person sitting in prison convicted of the murder of Laci, I'm not basing it on one or two things........ it is the culmination of everything that he or did not do. He did the deed and he needs to pay for what he did. I just wish to he11 that he'd crawl back under that rock and stay there. Sorry, not sorry..........
With respect, I have also followed this case from the beginning. I was 20 years old when Laci was first reported missing and it is this case that actually drew out my fascination for True Crime. While my friends were doing normal 20 year old things, I was following this case - reading everything I could - watching everything I could - researching everything I could, etc. It sounds like you are saying that some of us "don't know as much as you do" and I don't think thats fair. Yes, there is an abundance of information but just because we are focusing on a few pieces of that information at a time, and some of that information being key pieces, doesn't mean that is all we know or all we are basing our opinion on.

I just wanted to clarify that

With respect, I have also followed this case from the beginning. I was 20 years old when Laci was first reported missing and it is this case that actually drew out my fascination for True Crime. While my friends were doing normal 20 year old things, I was following this case - reading everything I could - watching everything I could - researching everything I could, etc. It sounds like you are saying that some of us "don't know as much as you do" and I don't think thats fair. Yes, there is an abundance of information but just because we are focusing on a few pieces of that information at a time, and some of that information being key pieces, doesn't mean that is all we know or all we are basing our opinion on.

I just wanted to clarify that
Laci's case is what brought me to Websleuths, and the fact that I live in the SF Bay Area. Scott probably drove near my house on his way to dump Laci's body.

Following criminal cases and murder cases, it is apparent IMO that things often do not make sense. And there is no merit to trying to understand another’s motives or actions. I am often told it is a ‘fool’s errand’. IMO this convicted murderer is exactly where he should be based on the evidence and trial.

In answer to the specific question this was posted on August 24, 2024. And in my estimation nothing has changed from that. MOO

Post in thread 'CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002 #2'
GUILTY - CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002 #2

Laci's case is what brought me to Websleuths, and the fact that I live in the SF Bay Area. Scott probably drove near my house on his way to dump Laci's body.

*The transcripts for Scott's trial are available because a team of people pooled together and purchased them, sometimes costing hundreds of dollars for each day in court. They then spent hundreds of hours re-formatting them so they could be posted on the internet.

To those at PWC-SII.com who coordinated this project and to all the participants who gave their time and money, we thank you. Without the court transcripts, we would just be a family trying to convince you of what we heard in court, but thanks to you, people can read it for themselves.

What’s interesting here with respect to the transcripts is the claim by Peterson and his supporters that they had to go through this big painstaking process to do the court transcripts but it has been noted on the record during the appeals process that the state gave defense the trial transcripts already (which is normal and part of the appeals process) and that the defense is using their own that doesn’t match the record. The state has to point this out to the court because the Petersons have once again decided to run their own parallel investigation that they want the public to believe came from the authorities themselves. Gee, I wonder why they’d do that. State doesn’t go into a lot of detail regarding what precisely is inconsistent by they do state the defense transcripts don’t match the record and that defense has been sent the transcripts again.

Last edited:
Don’t you think the “Innocence Project” has to have some pretty convincing reasons and evidence to think that Scott is innocent? They are not likely to take a case of someone who is guilty.

Don’t you think the “Innocence Project” has to have some pretty convincing reasons and evidence to think that Scott is innocent? They are not likely to take a case of someone who is guilty.
Not really.
They just might want to hitch their wagon to a "star" client for notoriety.
Remember - this is the Los Angeles Innocence Project, not affiliated with the Innocence Project.

Not really.
They just might want to hitch their wagon to a "star" client for notoriety.
Remember - this is the Los Angeles Innocence Project, not affiliated with the Innocence Project.
They Innocence Project and the LA Innocence Project are both members of the Innocence Project. They are independent organizations but not unaffiliated.

They Innocence Project and the LA Innocence Project are both members of the Innocence Project. They are independent organizations but not unaffiliated.
Regarding the question of "why is the Innocence Project funding this if they don't believe Scott is innocent?" The answer is that the Innocence Project is not funding Scott's newest attempt to escape prison.

I don't see any mention of the LA Innocence Project at the Innocence Project website. Same with LA Project, there's no mention of the National NY office. I don't see an affiliation other than use of a similar name, and even that isn't entirely similar.

I'm curious - who is funding the LA Innocencela Innocence Project office?

This is the Innocence Project website.

This is LA Innocence Project

Attachments

• 1726805185829.png
    1726805185829.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
Thank you.
Independent of the Innocence Project.
The Innocence Project themselves even released a statement clarifying the LA Innocence Project is ‘wholly independent’. They don’t want to be within a mile of this mess.

The Innocence Project put out a statement specifically addressing this, it is on their website . They are crystal clear that they have nothing to do with the Scott Peterson case and they have nothing to do with The LA Innocence Project.

If it only takes inserting Innocence Project into a law office’s name to make them a supposed subsidiary of THE Innocence Project then it would be extremely easy for anyone to deceptively employ such a title in order to boost their credibility by piggybacking off of the work done by the famous, national Innocence Project without them having to demonstrate that their own offices are credible or competent.

Additionally, if the Innocence Project is so trustworthy that even taking on a case is in itself evidence of innocence what does it mean when they feel compelled to release a statement making it clear they have absolutely nothing to do with a case? That’s the folly of trying to argue this particular point as a piece of evidence in Scott’s favor, it cuts both ways.

Even if the Innocence Project had been involved and worked with LA Innocence Project that still doesn’t automatically mean that Peterson must be innocent or that there must be credible evidence that this new appellate team has that will raise doubts about his guilt and perhaps lead to his exoneration. The Innocence Project is not infallible and it is as capable of making mistakes as any other organization is.

A particularly notorious example: Northwestern University’s Innocence Project managed to free death row inmate Anthony Porter in large part by framing another man named Alstory Simon for the double homicide Porter had been convicted of and sentenced to death for. Simon was sentenced to 37 years in prison. He served 15 years of that sentence before he was exonerated. It was also falsely alleged that Porter had been tortured by police when he had not. The overreaching of the team that exonerated him ultimately hurt his civil suit against the state for his conviction and wrongful imprisonment. A jury refused to award him anything. By contrast, Alstory Simon was able to receive compensation for what was done to him when his case settled before ever making it to trial. The evidence that Simon was innocent and had been completely railroaded was way stronger than it ever was for Porter. Things might have gone differently had Porter’s defense not been so blatantly dishonest in their efforts to free him.

Once again though, even if we set aside the most egregious errors made by Innocence Project (and it’s actual affiliates) the fact remains that nearly half of the cases that the Innocence Project takes on end with confirmation of guilt/proves the prosecutions theory of the case. This is information that the Innocence Project itself has previously volunteered.

I really cannot stress enough just how misleading the Scott Peterson specials defending him are. They make blatant misrepresentations and are shielded from sufficient degrees of scrutiny because they are produced and aired on networks that people trust to some extent to fact check what they’re putting out. One of my fears with respect to this case specifically is that people on both sides get their own entertainment confused with reality. A brutal irony in all of this is that the media that Scott Peterson and his supporters and skeptics invoke to discredit his conviction is arguably being used by them to work in favor of his defense now.

It is especially disturbing to me to see LAIP being given a tremendous benefit of the doubt that they have not earned yet (and in fact they have done several things in their very short lifetime that diminishes their credibility rather than enhances it but for the sake of not writing a whole novel here in the comments I will refrain from saying more about that right now unless otherwise asked to elaborate on this). They make sensationalist claims that mirror exactly what Scott Peterson and his supporters have said from the very beginning even though they still have nothing to back up what they’re alleging and the cases appellate failures have done a thorough and excellent job of countering Scott Peterson’s narrative over and over again. Their evidence is not new. If people took the time to really read the writs, the motions, the oppositions, and the court decisions in full with an open mind they would know better but they don’t do that and so here we all are arguing the same points 20 years after the case was tried and Peterson was found guilty.

Last edited:
Don’t you think the “Innocence Project” has to have some pretty convincing reasons and evidence to think that Scott is innocent?
Not really.
They are not likely to take a case of someone who is guilty.
About half of the time, the GUILT is affirmed. The IP does not always prove Innocence. IMO

Ah ha...maybe this has something to do with it: '

Janey Peterson Became an Attorney to Fight For Scott and Focus on Wrongful Convictions​

To fight for Scott, Janey Peterson decided to become a lawyer. She joined California Western School of Law in 2019 and graduated from the institution with a Doctor of Law degree in 2022. She also served as a clinical intern at the California Innocence Project between August 2020 and July 2021. (This sentence bolded by me for emphasis.)

Link (not sure I ever heard of this media source though): Janey Peterson: Where is Scott Peterson’s Sister-in-Law Now?

Ah ha...maybe this has something to do with it: '

Janey Peterson Became an Attorney to Fight For Scott and Focus on Wrongful Convictions​

To fight for Scott, Janey Peterson decided to become a lawyer. She joined California Western School of Law in 2019 and graduated from the institution with a Doctor of Law degree in 2022. She also served as a clinical intern at the California Innocence Project between August 2020 and July 2021. (This sentence bolded by me for emphasis.)

Link (not sure I ever heard of this media source though): Janey Peterson: Where is Scott Peterson’s Sister-in-Law Now?
Emphasis on Intern, not Appelate Lawyer.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdinthehand
Back