GUILTY CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard to believe this was 2005 when the family spoke to Scott.

Laci was murdered December 24, 2002 (aged 27)
Conner was murdered December 24, 2002
(age 34 weeks gestation)
MOO
Quoting my post here…
Conner would be coming up on his 20th birthday if born,instead of died, at 34 weeks. Scott murdered his own precious child.
Laci should be baking,gifting, planning Christmas dinner & dreaming of grandchildren.
I wish this was over.
Cause I thought it was over. Poor Sharon.

MOO

Nov. 28, 2022
Scott Peterson was scheduled to go to San Mateo Superior Court on Friday, and learn during a hearing that was to be broadcast live on television, whether his murder convictions would be overturned.

But the hearing was vacated Monday in an order by Judge Anne-Christine Massullo. The order said she will instead issue a written ruling only. The order also vacated her previous order to transfer Peterson from prison to the San Mateo County jail so he could be present for the hearing. Instead, he will remain in prison and await word from his attorneys.

The ruling gave no explanation for her decision to vacate the hearing, which was scheduled earlier this month. Nor did it say when the written ruling would be issued, other than that it will be before the Dec. 16 deadline.
Well that's a really good sign. He's not getting the media circus and attention that he wanted.

I think this is a good ruling, it costs a lot to bring a defendant to court for a hearing, I wonder if anything can be read into her decision to not have the hearing and just to issue the ruling, I think it would be a bigger impact if she vacates his conviction,
Some of the talking heads, and his attorneys opined that the judge needed more time to write her decision. Don't know if that's true - she's had months to do it. Her decision is now due on Dec. 16 at the latest.

Some of the talking heads, and his attorneys opined that the judge needed more time to write her decision. Don't know if that's true - she's had months to do it. Her decision is now due on Dec. 16 at the latest.

I read (some where) that she will make her decision between Dec. 6 thru the 16th. So hopefully next week some time!
And you are right @LaborDayRN - he is where he should be!

Looks like they had a hearing today.

Dec. 14, 2022
Scott Peterson — and the rest of the world — could find out whether he will get a new murder trial on the eve of the 20th anniversary of when authorities believe he killed his 8-months-pregnant wife.
[.....]
Whether a juror lied to get on the panel that convicted him is at the heart of his current appeal. After a lengthy hearing, Judge Anne-Christine Massullo said she would decide by this Friday — Dec. 16 — whether to order a new trial or keep him in prison for life.

But last week, the judge scheduled a conference for Wednesday to discuss unspecified legal issues, and also suspended the time she had previously announced for rendering her ruling. The clock for the decision effectively stopped on Dec. 8.
[.....]
If the issues are resolved Wednesday, the clock for her to make a trial decision would resume ticking. Massullo could announce a new trial date on Wednesday, stick to the original Dec. 16 target, or announce a date as far out as Dec. 23. This was according to Stanislaus County District Attorney Birgit Fladager, in an exit interview with me as she prepares to leave office.

Wednesday, December 14th:
*Judge’s Hearing (on retrial) (@ am PT) – CA – Laci Denise Peterson (27) & Connor (unborn) (missing Dec. 24, 2002, Modesto; found April 13, 2003 in the San Francisco Bay) - *Scott Lee Peterson (30 @ time of crime/31/now 50) convicted & found guilty (11/12/04) of 1st degree murder (Laci) & 2nd degree murder(son) & sentenced (3/16/05) to death by lethal injection.
His case is currently on automatic appeal to the Supreme Court of California. Sits on San Quentin's death row. Calif. Supreme Court denied a new trial in the guilt phase but reversed the death penalty sentence for Stanislaus County. Also the San Mateo Superior Court will now consider whether there was jury misconduct. Stanislaus County district attorney’s office said it won’t seek the death penalty if there is a new trial.
Re-Sentencing Hearing on 12/8/21. Peterson was moved to San Mateo County jail on 11/29/21 for sentencing hearing. Ordered Peterson to serve life in prison without the possibility of parole for the 1st degree murder of Laci & a concurrent sentence of 15 years to life for the 2nd degree murder of Conner. Peterson was transferred from San Quentin State Prison (~10/21/22) to Mule Creek State Prison.
Court info from 5/14/20 thru 11/3/22 reference post #402 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-scott-petersons-penalty-phase.548783/page-21

11/28/22 Update: Peterson was scheduled to go to San Mateo Superior Court on Friday, 12/2/22, but the hearing was vacated Monday in an order by Judge Anne-Christine Massullo. The order said she will instead issue a written ruling only. The order also vacated her previous order to transfer Peterson from prison to the San Mateo County jail so he could be present for the hearing. Instead, he will remain in prison & await word from his attorneys. The ruling gave no explanation for her decision to vacate the hearing, which was scheduled earlier this month. Nor did it say when the written ruling would be issued, other than that it will be before the 12/16/22 deadline.
12/14/22 Update: Judge Anne-Christine Massulo scheduled a conference for Wednesday, 12/14/22 to discuss unspecified legal issues & also suspended the time she had previously announced for rendering her ruling. The clock for the decision effectively stopped on Dec. 8, 2022. If the issues are resolved Wednesday, the clock for her to make a trial decision would resume ticking. Massullo could announce a new trial date on Wednesday, stick to the original Dec. 16 target, or announce a date as far out as Dec. 23. This was according to Stanislaus County District Attorney Birgit Fladager.

From what I understand, this court appearance was to remove identifying information (I think an SSN) from a witness on the defense's witness list in their documents. That's it. That's caused this entire reset of the judge's timeline for when she is required to reach a decision on whether Peterson deserves a new trial. The deadline to announce that decision is now indefinite.

Dec. 14, 2022

Scott Peterson, the man convicted of killing his wife and unborn child nearly 20 years ago, appeared virtually Wednesday after the judge noticed a clerical error and temporarily suspended her decision over whether Peterson would be granted a new trial.
[.....]
"In preparing the decision in this matter, which is not final, and reviewing the record again, it came to my attention that a rule of court has been violated," Massullo said in court Wednesday. During the hearing, Massullo specified that court filings, which would eventually be unsealed, included an unredacted Social Security number and a driver's license number.

Massullo ordered that attorneys meet by Thursday morning to determine how to correct the exhibit, then explain how they would do so and ensure there were no further errors within the filings. The jurist further said she would state by Friday whether the issue was fixed.
[.....]
t was unclear immediately following Wednesday's hearing when Massullo was expected to release her decision regarding a new trial.

I happened upon a program about this case-- hadn't seen this particular program before. There was a lot of commenting from defense attorneys, media, family of Scott Peterson and snippets of the trial. One snippet was disturbing to me: Following the jury giving Scott a sentence of death, the jurors came out and were interviewed. I was shocked: Rochelle Nice (strawberry shortcake) was very vocal about saying he was guilty and she said some other things I cannot recall but I was shocked: one of the other jurors was also very vocal, saying very nasty things about Scott Peterson. I thought these jurors were really extremely inappropriate. These days by the way, Rochelle Nice looks like a middle class suburban woman, unlike the young woman with screaming pink-red hair with a very big and loud mouth.

After watching that I was thinking he could get another trial.

I believe he is guilty- his family talks about the neighbors across the street and burgulars---and how Scott was framed- blah blah blah. If there was any other evidence in support of Scott Peterson, it would have been up to Mark
Geragos to have brought it up at the time of trial. He didn't because he knew
all that talk about burgulars and others having committed this crime was a crock and would not stand up in a court of law.

Whenver we get the Judge's opinion, I hope the conviction stands.

I happened upon a program about this case-- hadn't seen this particular program before. There was a lot of commenting from defense attorneys, media, family of Scott Peterson and snippets of the trial. One snippet was disturbing to me: Following the jury giving Scott a sentence of death, the jurors came out and were interviewed. I was shocked: Rochelle Nice (strawberry shortcake) was very vocal about saying he was guilty and she said some other things I cannot recall but I was shocked: one of the other jurors was also very vocal, saying very nasty things about Scott Peterson. I thought these jurors were really extremely inappropriate. These days by the way, Rochelle Nice looks like a middle class suburban woman, unlike the young woman with screaming pink-red hair with a very big and loud mouth.

After watching that I was thinking he could get another trial.

I believe he is guilty- his family talks about the neighbors across the street and burgulars---and how Scott was framed- blah blah blah. If there was any other evidence in support of Scott Peterson, it would have been up to Mark
Geragos to have brought it up at the time of trial. He didn't because he knew
all that talk about burgulars and others having committed this crime was a crock and would not stand up in a court of law.

Whenver we get the Judge's opinion, I hope the conviction stands.
Just curious as to what you found wrong about the juror interview. If it was done after the fact they are allowed to discuss the opinion that they reached.

Lately it seems like there have been so many reversals of high profile convictions (Ross Harris, Tex McIver, and the guy who killed his wife with anti-freeze his name escapes me) this one would’ve been too much! These were all mammoth cases. What an incredible waste of resources if they had to retry this one esp when he’s guilty af! There is no question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member