Identified! CA - Laurel Canyon, WhtFem 358UFCA, 20-23, Nov'69 - Reet Jurvetson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/04/27/l...1969-near-manson-killings-was-montreal-woman/

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Los Angeles police have identified the body of a woman found stabbed 150 times in 1969 near the site of the Manson family killings as a 19-year-old from Montreal, People magazine reported Wednesday.

Police have identified the woman as Reet Jurvetson, who moved to Los Angeles from Montreal the year she was killed, according to People.

Los Angeles police Detective Luis Rivera told the magazine that investigators can’t rule out that the Manson family was involved in the killing.

Los Angeles police Det. Luis Rivera told the magazine that investigators can't rule out that the Manson family was involved in the killing. He said the best lead police have is a man known as "John," whom Jurvetson met in Toronto before flying to Los Angeles to see him in the summer of 1969

Jurvetson's body was found Nov. 16, 1969, by a birdwatcher in dense brush off Mulholland Drive. She had been stabbed 150 times and didn't have identification.

"It was personal," Rivera told People. "It was a maniac ... or love gone wrong."
After going unidentified for years, Jurvetson eventually became known as Jane Doe No. 59. The location and timing of her killing, just a few miles away from several Manson family murders, has long fueled speculation that Jurvetson's case was connected.

Police are working to solve the murder, with Rivera saying, "No one deserves what happened to her."

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-jane-doe-manson-killings-identified-20160427-story.html

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/murder-v...n-family-killings-was-from-montreal-1.2876748
rbbm
image.jpg
Police said they used DNA to identify Jurvetson after her sister recognized a photo posted of the young woman's body online.

The sister, Anne Jurvetson, told People that the "free-spirited and happy" teen went to Los Angeles after meeting and becoming smitten with "John."

Anne Jurvetson said her sister sent her family a postcard saying she had found an apartment and was happy but that they never heard from her again after that. Her parents never reported her missing because "they thought that she was just living her life somewhere," Anne Jurvetson said.

Eventually, she said she came to realize that her sister was probably dead.

"It is such a sad, helpless kind of feeling to always question, to never know," she said. "After all these years, we are faced with hard facts. My little sister was savagely killed."

Some believe that Marina Habe was a victim of the Zodiac Killer. Others think that she was murdered by members of the Manson Family, possibly by Tex Watson. Marina's body was found in an area where "Sherry Doe" would be found.

Here is a news story about the murder of Marina Habe - a case which remains unsolved.

--------------------------------------
Chicago Tribune

Purse Leads Police to Co-Ed's Body - Strangers Seen By Mother

Hollywood, Cal. Jan 1 (1969)

Marina Elizabeth Habe, 17, co-ed daughter of author Hans Habe and actress Eloise Hardt, was found slain this afternoon in a ravine off Mulholland Drive, a few miles west of her home.

Her body was found a little more than two days after she was abducted from her West Hollywood home as her mother watched from the front window.

She had been stabbed a number of times. No murder weapon was found, police said.

Detectives indicated they had clews to the identity of her killers.

Find Girl's Purse

Police found the body after a sightseeing couple found the slain girl's purse on the road. A search of the area, a desolate section at least a half mile from the nearest home, was made by police on foot. Miss Habe's body was found two hours later.

She was lying on her back, fully clothed, under heavy brush, police said. An autopsy was performed, and police sought to learn if she had been sexually assulted.

She was last seen alive when she left a friend's house at 3:15 am Monday. Her mother said she was awakened at 3:35 by the sound of a loud auto exhaust and went to the front window. Her daughter's auto was in the driveway. Parked alongside was a black sedan and between the autos stood a man.

Stranger Shouts "Go!"

The girl's mother said the black car backed out of the driveway and the strange shouted "Go!" to the driver before getting into the car, which sped west.

Miss Hardt said that she did not see her daughter at this time.

The girl's father, author of "Christopher and his Father", "The Mission", and "A Thousand Shall Fall", reportedly was on his way here from his home in Zurich, Switzerland.

The girl's mother, divorced from Habe and remarried, has appeared in several movies and television shows. Her most recent film was "Games" with Simone Signoret.

FBI is Informed

The Federal Bureau of Investigation was informed immediately after the abduction, but did not actively participate in the search for the co-ed.

Miss Habe, 113 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes, was on vacation from the University of Hawaii. She drove her car Sunday afternoon to the Sunset Boulevard home of John Hornburg, 22.

Hornburg told police they met two other couples in a cafe. She left Hornburg's home at 3:15 am in her own car to return home. A second purse, containing a small amount of money was found in her small foreign sports car left in the driveway of her home.

Miss Habe was graduated from University High School in West Los Angeles in May.

Friends Since Childhood

According to her family, she and Hornburg were not romantically involved, but had been friends since childhood. It was said that she had been dating another.

Habe, 57, is an Austrian who laid aside a career as a journalist to fight the Nazis in World War Two, first with the 21st Infantry of foreign volunteers in the French Army, and after the fall of France, with the American Army.
He won numerous combat decorations and wrote a book about his war experiences, "A Thousand Shall Fall".

He formerly edited the Vienna Newspaper "Der Morgen" and covered the League of Nations before World War II.

Bumping this post as a name (J) jumped out at me. Wondering if Reet had made a connection with some of these people due to her skills as a seamstress?
Perhaps she hoped to work in film and there, encountered her killer, maybe the same person/s responsible for Marina Habe's murder?
speculation, imo.

So glad her name is back <3 What an absolutely radiant young woman. I noticed as I was reading the article that her and I are the same age (19). Makes it all the more horrible to me for some reason. I hope her killer is brought to justice soon. The possible Manson family connection is certainly interesting.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/04/27/l...1969-near-manson-killings-was-montreal-woman/
CPT114336994_hd-780x1024.jpg

MONTREAL &#8211; The sister of a Montreal woman identified as the person found with 150 stab wounds in 1969 near the site of the Manson family killings says she hopes leads will now emerge to help solve the slaying.

Anne Jurvetson says in a statement that Reet Jurvetson was 19 when she went to Los Angeles in 1969 and that their parents assumed she would eventually resurface.

Anne, 73, says they grieved her disappearance for many years but never filed a report.
rbbm
snip>
But Rivera tells The Canadian Press there is nothing firm to link the slaying to the notorious clan for now.

He says authorities are hopeful of reigniting the 47-year-old case and generating new leads

I'm so glad she has her name back, but this blows my mind. She was never going to be ID'd because no one had reported her. We could have combed NamUs and the doenetwork until the cows came home and never would have found her. I understand why the family didn't, I'm not judging here. Things were just different back then, we didn't have the same level of contact as we do today, and they thought she was living her life and didn't question it when they didn't hear from her again. How do we reach families like this with loved ones they believe are just somewhere else without hearing from them again? We need a PSA or something.
What a beautiful young woman. RIP, Reet. So happy you can go home now.

PEOPLE exclusively reveals in this week's issue that Jane Doe #59 is Reet Jurvetson, who was born in Sweden, grew up in Montreal and was 19 when she died.

http://www.people.com/article/charles-manson-victim-jane-doe-59-identified-reet-jurvetson

o be

Edited to apologize for posting this link after someone else already had. The newest posts were not showing when I clicked on the thread; maybe I was viewing a cached version.

Thanks for posting link. Wonder if anyone named John or Jean, ever reported her missing, or has tried to look for her himself, or even also gone missing- perhaps murdered too?
From the link..

Police learned that Reet flew to L.A. in the summer of 1969 to visit a man named John, or Jean, with the French pronunciation, she met in a Canadian coffee shop. "She was smitten by him," says Rivera.

He is the best lead we have," he says, adding: "No one deserves what happened to her. Someone might be out there who is responsible and it is our job to find out who it is and bring them to justice if we can."

http://globalnews.ca/news/2665139/w...icle&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

reet-jurvetson_2.jpg
Anne explained her sister was the youngest in the family, and Reet was born in Sweden after the family fled Estonia as refugees in 1944 during the Second World War. The family made their way to Montreal in 1951 when Reet was a year old.

&#8220;She was deeply loved by both family and friends,&#8221; Anne said in the statement.

After graduating high school, Reet moved to Toronto to live with her grandmother after she landed a job with Canada Post.

&#8220;During her teenage years, Reet developed a taste for adventure and freedom, all the while being naive and trusting of others,&#8221; Anne said.
&#8220;I am horrified to think of how terribly frightened and alone she must have felt as she died,&#8221; Anne said.

Anyone with information related to Reet&#8217;s stay in California is asked to write or call Detective Luis Rivera of the Los Angeles Police Department.

I'm so glad she has her name back, but this blows my mind. She was never going to be ID'd because no one had reported her. We could have combed NamUs and the doenetwork until the cows came home and never would have found her. I understand why the family didn't, I'm not judging here. Things were just different back then, we didn't have the same level of contact as we do today, and they thought she was living her life and didn't question it when they didn't hear from her again. How do we reach families like this with loved ones they believe are just somewhere else without hearing from them again? We need a PSA or something.
What a beautiful young woman. RIP, Reet. So happy you can go home now.

I have been thinking about how do we reach people who have a loved one they haven't heard from but have never been reported missing...sadly I think it makes up a large portion of our unidentifieds. I would love to see a campaign similar to the "it's 8pm, do you know where your kids are?" Type of thing. "It's been 20 years since you last spoke with your brother, do you know where he is and that he is ok?" (I'm sure someone can come up with something better)

Jane Doe #59 found murdered Nov. 16, 1969 in LA County on Mulholland Drive
finally identified, as Reet Jurvetson.

She had been stabbed 150 times.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/jane ... d-38700800

Now, I was thinking; could it be serial killer Rodney Alcala who killed Reet Jurvetson? ( until recently identifyed named Jane Doe #59)
In my opinion the "Bikini girl" and Reet Jurvetson look very simlar.

The guy Reet Jurvetson went to LA to meet in the summer of 1969, he called himself "John"
Rodney Alcala used the aliases John Berger and John Burger in 1969

She went to LA to meet "John"
Rodney Alcala had lived in LA for many years.

Here is Rodney Alcalas photos of "the flowered bikini girl",
could that be Reet Jurvetson ? (until recently identifyed named Jane Doe #59)

10ekkxv.jpg

alcalanypd-(16).jpg

1357799989_9532_2.jpg

Her 4 photos of Reet Jurvetson (until recently identifyed named Jane Doe #59):

reet-jurvetson.jpg

reet-jurvetson-manson.jpg

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/...ler/img6030jpg.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3555147.146177486...g_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/reet-jurvetson.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebsDaughter
Back