Identified! CA - Laurel Canyon, WhtFem 358UFCA, 20-23, Nov'69 - Reet Jurvetson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's the official statement from her sister Anne: https://sites.google.com/site/reetjurvetsonsfamilymemorial/
Her roots were in Estonia, first ever President of Estonia Konstantin Päts was her great-uncle. I heard there are some mentions of Reet in a book about his grandfather Voldemar Päts (brother of Konstantin Päts).

Such a sad and unexpected story for me as a fellow Estonian. Rest easy, girl.

None of Manson's victims were single females so what made anyone think she was one of his? Was there some chance she was in his cult?

Very happy to see another Doe has her named back. So thankful her friend found the listing. I hope you're able to rest a little easier Reet.

This article says that Jean bore a likeness to rock star Jim Morrison

Jurvetson was a popular figure from Westhill's Class of 67, who attended the Estonian church on Marcil Ave, where she made many friends who raved about her many talents, as she scored straight As without studying much. She was also a gifted illustrator and seamstress.
"She was funny, she loved practical jokes and was a dynamic person," her longtime friend Ilmi Siimann told Coolopolis.
Jurvetson dreamed of going to California and said she might hitch-hike there, a common practice at the time. Friends talked her out of it, citing its dangers.
She went to Toronto where she stayed with her grandmother while modeling part time and working at the post office.
Eventually she saved enough money to fly to Los Angeles where she stayed with her boyfriend Jean, who she had met at Cafe Prag on Bishop Street.
Jean bore a likeness to rock star Jim Morrison, who Jurvetson greatly admired.
Little else is known about Jean or another friend also named Jean, at whose place the two stayed for two weeks.
Los Angeles Cold Case Squad Detective Luis Rivera has visited Montreal in an attempt to locate people who might be able to identify the two Jeans.
One tip has it that longtime Old Montreal street musician Paul "Gypsy" Robert was acquainted with the two and might be able to provide the last names of Jean and Jean.

I filled out the Doe Net case update form, gave them all of the links here

Link to additional case information: (if applicable)
Link 1: http://www.people.com/article/murder-victim-family-sorrow-manson-reet-jurvetson
Link 2: https://sites.google.com/site/reetjurvetsonsfamilymemorial/
Link 3: http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/sister-...ar-manson-killings-hoping-for-leads-1.2876772
Link 4: http://www.mansonblog.com/

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...stabbed-150-times-in-1969-was-montrealer.html
We’re hoping ‘Jean’ will shed some light’

The Star spoke with Det. Luis Rivera, the lead LAPD investigator still working to solve the 46-year-old mystery of Montrealer Reet Jurvetson’s murder in November 1969. What follows is a condensed and edited version of that conversation:

Star: So, what are you looking for?

Rivera: What we’re interested in right now mostly is anyone with information or anyone who knows her or knew who she was coming to Los Angeles to see. We’re interested in anyone who knew a friend of hers named ‘John’ or ‘Jean.’

Star: Was he French-Canadian?

He was from Canada and she met him in Montreal.

Star: It’s obviously a pretty common name in Montreal

It’s like ‘John’ here in the United States, John Smith. But we’re working with the Canadian authorities and they’re trying to help us as much as they can. You can imagine with a first name it’s kind of hard.

Star: There has been talk about a links to the Manson murders. Do you have any reason to believe there is any link?

Not at this point. Back then, in 1969, right about the time of the body being found, that’s when things were happening with Manson. So that’s about the only thing . . . . We haven’t been able to link anyone in particular to this.

(N.B. The Associated Press reported that investigators had interviewed Charles Manson, 81, about Jurvetson’s death, but had not obtained any new information)

Star: You have no idea . . . ?

We have no idea who did it. We know who she is and now we’re trying to figure out who she was with in Los Angeles and maybe they’ll be able to help us.

Star: I imagine this investigation is a pretty difficult investigation, or have you solved the biggest problem in determining who she was?

I think that the biggest hurdle was trying to figure out who she was. But being that it was 40 years ago, the problem is that most of the people that were around back then have moved on, forgotten or passed away—things of this nature. The locations aren’t the same, where she was staying at in Los Angeles might have been changed, so those are the difficulties that we are up against. However, who knows what leads will come out of this? We’re hoping that this person ‘John’ or ‘Jean,’ if he hears the story or reads about it, maybe he’ll come forward and shed some light.

Star: You’ve been up to Montreal as part of your investigation. What assistance have you sought here? Is it just interviews with family members?

Yes, and the Montreal police department is also assisting us in trying to locate the possible person named ‘Jean.’ But again, with a first name it’s really hard to do. They’re there in case we develop anything else here. Then we can contact them and they will do the footwork for us in trying to locate this person if he’s there.
rbbm.

Hope this link is okay to post, will remove if not- but writer documented a number of the local garage bands in Montreal circa 1960's, including a gig in 1967 at WHill H.S. ( where victim attended)
Maybe he is familiar or knows/ remembers a " Jim Morrison" type named Jean? imo, speculation.
http://www.garagehangover.com/country/canada/quebec/montreal/

RIP Reet. May she rest in peace. How sad that she was never reported missing

Missing people were not popular back then, we didn't have social media, cell phones. It was harder to get a hold of anyone if you moved, especially to another country. The main thing is she is identified now. Someone looked.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

We're talking 1969 here. As I'm sure you're aware, there wasn't the same level of (instantaneous) contact back then as there is today.There was no social media, no internet, no missing person databases. We had telegrams, expensive long distance phone calls (even more so for someone to call internationally, as it would be in this case), and snail mail to keep in touch. It was not unusual for folks to go a long time without hearing from someone, especially if they were poor. She wasn't a runaway, nor did her family have any reason to suspect she was in any danger at the time, so why would they report her missing at the time she met her demise? She wasn't a missing person when she died, her family had just heard from her by postcard, so why would they even know to report her? Who knows if her picture even appeared in news reports in Canada at the time she was discovered?
I agree, after a year or two of not hearing from her, they maybe should/could have done something, like contacted some friends or other relatives to ask if they'd heard from her. After doing that, and finding out that no one had, they should have attempted to report her missing. I say attempted because the next step would have been to convince Canadian or US officials that she was even missing, and their attempts to find her could be thwarted right there, because technically, Reet wasn't missing, hers was a voluntary departure. There's no guarantee that if they had reported her missing during the 70s, 80s and 90s that they would have even been able to make a match. Their window of opportunity was right when she died, at which time they had no reason so suspect she'd met with foul play, or any time after the advent of the internet and the widespread use of DNA matching. Maybe my logic is flawed here, but I cannot find fault with how the family handled this case, except to say instead of finding her in 2016, they may have been able to find her 10 or 15 years ago, at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really have to wonder if the Manson Family connection was a red herring all along. It's more likely Reet was murdered by someone else, be it "Jean/John" or some other random creep. Being such a beautiful woman, she must have attracted alot of attention. Add in the claims that she was trusting and naïve, and you have a recipe for disaster.

When I was her age, I moved from a medium sized town to a large city. I was very pretty and trusting as well, and I would smile and talk to just about anyone who approached me. I remember within the first month after I arrived in the city, I received constant attention from men. One of the most bizarre incidents involved a random man proposing marriage to me on the bus, saying he was a from a wealthy Middle Eastern family (I can't remember which country). Another man on the bus walked over to us and told me to stay away from him. When I got off the bus, the man that had proposed marriage followed me, and I practically ran towards the building I worked in. Thankfully it was broad daylight and many people were around.

Another day shortly after that, a stranger that introduced himself to me as an artist asked if I wanted to go have coffee with him at a cafe. I agreed because I was an artist as well, and the man seemed intriguing. While we were having coffee, another man walked up to me and introduced himself as a photographer. He asked if I would be interested in modelling for him and gave me his phone number. After he walked away, the guy I was having coffee with warned me of the dangers of posing for a photographer that I didn't know. The coffee guy started to act creepy, so I made an excuse to leave. I had stupidly given the coffee guy my phone number, and for months after our encounter, he would ring my phone off the hook multiple times a day.

These incidents are only a few that occurred shortly after I arrived in the city. I quickly wizened up, learning to avoid making eye contact with strangers, and not giving out my phone number (duh!). This was the late 90's, so I was well aware of the dangers out there. A woman my age living in the 60's may have not been so aware, unfortunately.

None of Manson's victims were single females so what made anyone think she was one of his? Was there some chance she was in his cult?

iirc there was another very similar murder close by to that area and I think they got that killer. What made them originally think she was a Manson victim was the fact that she looked like one of the Manson family members by the name of Sheryl or Sherry. But they found that girl alive and well. That and she was found fairly close to some known Manson murders.

All the info is to the best of my horrible memory

Somebody must remember renting out an apt. to a pretty young woman from Montreal and her " Jim Morrison " like boyfriend Jean, imo.
Where is he, did he ever search for Reet, or did he go missing when Reet did?
Wonder if there are any uid males found in the same area?
speculation, imo.

http://fox8.com/2016/04/28/charles-...lice-work-to-solve-mystery-of-jane-doe-no-59/
&#8220;In hindsight, I realize that this is a lack of discernment,&#8221; Anne Jurvetson wrote. &#8220;But sadly, we did not know how to find someone on the other side of the continent, in another country, if that was even where she still was. North America is a big place! The fact remains, we were terribly perplexed and we grieved her disappearance for many long years.&#8221;

Looking for John

Conrado said the investigation continues.

She and Det. Luis Rivera are looking for a man named &#8220;John&#8221; or &#8220;Jean.&#8221; He knew Reet Jurvetson in Montreal before he moved to Los Angeles.

&#8220;We don&#8217;t know who he is. We&#8217;re still asking anyone that may have known a friend who was a friend of either or both of them that knew the reason why she may have come to the U.S. to visit him,&#8221;
Conrado said.
rbbm

Reet doesn't look like Alcala's bikini girl to me. The underside of the eyes don't match up.

Glad to see this one is resolved.

Reet doesn't look like Alcala's bikini girl to me. The underside of the eyes don't match up.

Glad to see this one is resolved.

I don't understand what you mean by your statement ? could you please explain?

Here is another photo of Reet Jurvetson where she, in my opinion, looks even more like the bikini girl:

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/polopoly...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

And of interest is that Rodney Alcala used the alias "John" and he did look like Jim Morrison, both things said about the guy Rett was supposed to go visit in Los Angeles:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5e/b1/74/5eb17459bbe190e11416155d2bbeb360.jpg

Did RODNEY ALCALA kill Reet Jurvetson? Is she "the bikini girl" among the photos found in Alcala's storage unit?

Reet Jurvetson met "John" in 1969 at "Cafe Prag" at 1433 Rue Bishop, Montréal, Canada.

In September 25, 1968 Rodney James Alcala lived at De Longpre Avenue in West Hollywood, CA

ALCALA'S adress was located ca 3 miles (11 minutes drive) from the location where the body
of Reet Jurvetson was found, Nov 19, 1969
, in the bushes near Mulholland Drive
and Skyline Drive in Los Angeles.

(RAs Sept 25, 1969 victim, Tali Shapiro, lived at Chateau Marmont hotel
8221 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA)

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...odney-Alcala-The-Mother-of-All-Serial-Killers

In the video, About the Alcala case, at 6:39 :
Steve Hodel says - "All kinds of rumors, he's gone to Mexico, he's gone to Canada, he's gone to Europe"

Did RODNEY ALCALA kill Reet Jurvetson? Is she "the bikini girl" among the photos found in Alcala's storage unit?

Reet Jurvetson met "John" in 1969 at "Cafe Prag" at 1433 Rue Bishop, Montréal, Canada.

In September 25, 1968 Rodney James Alcala lived at De Longpre Avenue in West Hollywood, CA

ALCALA'S adress was located ca 3 miles (11 minutes drive) from the location where the body
of Reet Jurvetson was found, Nov 19, 1969
, in the bushes near Mulholland Drive
and Skyline Drive in Los Angeles.

(RAs Sept 25, 1969 victim, Tali Shapiro, lived at Chateau Marmont hotel
8221 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA)

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...odney-Alcala-The-Mother-of-All-Serial-Killers

In the video, About the Alcala case, at 6:39 :
Steve Hodel says - "All kinds of rumors, he's gone to Mexico, he's gone to Canada, he's gone to Europe"

Maybe time to have another look at Alcala - wonder if anybody remembers meeting him in Montreal, or working for or with him?
New York is not that far from Montreal or New Hampshire, also his real middle name is the French "Jacques"
Also interesting is his connection with Roman Polanski..

After leaving the Army, Alcala graduated from the UCLA School of Fine Arts and later studied film under Roman Polanski at New York University.[11

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala

In 1977, after his second release from prison, Alcala's Los Angeles parole officer took the unusual step of permitting a repeat offender&#8212;and known flight risk&#8212;to travel to New York City. NYPD cold-case investigators now believe that a week after arriving in Manhattan, Alcala killed Ellen Jane Hover, 23, daughter of the owner of Ciro&#8217;s, a popular Hollywood nightclub and goddaughter of Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr.[25] Her remains were found buried on the grounds of the Rockefeller Estate in Westchester County.[22]

In 1978 Alcala worked for a short time at the Los Angeles Times as a typesetter, and was interviewed by members of the Hillside Strangler task force as part of their investigation of known sex offenders. Although Alcala was ruled out as the Hillside Strangler, he was arrested and served a brief sentence for marijuana possession.[26]

During this period Alcala convinced hundreds of young men and women that he was a professional fashion photographer, and photographed them for his "portfolio

Year of event Event, victim name indicates date of crime Offense; offender status/location Alias/note
1961-64 U.S. Army
1968 Graduated from UCLA
1968 Tali Shapiro Rape, attempted murder; Pled guilty to assault, 1971/California
1968-71 Fugitive, student NYU Film School, camp counselor New York, New Hampshire John Berger, John Burger

I don't understand what you mean by your statement ? could you please explain?

Here is another photo of Reet Jurvetson where she, in my opinion, looks even more like the bikini girl:

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/polopoly...e.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

In earlier pictures posted and in the picture you link to above, Reet's eyes to me look set into her skull to a fair degree with a bit of wrinkle under her eye. Bikini Girl's eyes are very prominent. They are not bulging, but they are definitely not sunken into her face.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back