GUILTY CA - Lawrence 'Larry' King, 15, fatally shot at Oxnard school, 12 Feb 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow - you introduce so many things that cannot be proven, but because you say it you must be right. WHERE has it been posted the Brandon and his friends had been taunting and abusing Larry?

Where does it say that? In the exact same article which you quoted. From the same link:

"But others said Brandon would use his physical prowess to intimidate others.
Connie Laurence said her son has known Brandon since the second grade, and over the years she saw him alternatively be charming and a bully. 'Brandon picked on what was different", she said.
Hailey Day, 13, said she regularly heard Brandon calling Larry derogatory names the week before the shooting."

WHERE has it been posted the Brandon and his friends had been taunting and abusing Larry?

Where HASN'T it said that. Virtually every article I've read says that Brandon had been taunting him.

From http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/feb/24/it-doesnt-make-sense/:
Hailey Day, 13, said she regularly heard Brandon calling Larry derogatory names the week before the shooting.

From http://venturacountystar.com/news/2008/feb/16/slain-teen-remembered-as-fun-quirky-at-rainbow/:
Students have said King was teased because he was gay. Some classmates also reported a confrontation between the two boys in the days before the shooting.

"The fact that he (King) was being harassed........"

From http://news.aol.com/story/_a/boys-killing-labeled-a-hate-crime/20080223141909990001:
In recent weeks, the victim, Lawrence King, 15, had said publicly that he was gay, classmates said, enduring harassment from a group of schoolmates, including the 14-year-old boy charged in his death.

Snowbird, you are correct, he is 14, i was mistaken in my post. However 14, 15 years old, that's still a child in my book.

Justche and Snowbird you are both asking to hear the other side of a story from a dead boy who cannot speak and the altercation prior.

Justche i think it is way out of line for you to claim that Nova has an agenda; as you may as well claim i do also since i stick up for all victims, etc.

"Students have said King was teased because he was gay. Some classmates also reported a confrontation between the two boys in the days before the shooting."

"State Sen. Sheila Kuehl, D-Santa Monica, whose district includes the 1,168-student Oxnard school, wrote a bill that took effect Jan. 1 and prohibits discrimination in the classroom based on gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
"The fact that he (King) was being harassed indicated to me there was a larger danger looming for him," Kuehl said."
http://venturacountystar.com/news/2008/feb/16/slain-teen-remembered-as-fun-quirky-at-rainbow/

Does that help clear the altercation up a bit for you two? I would like to think that the law would not be pursuing it as a hate crime if they had no evidence it was not a hate crime. Obviously they are privy to information we don't have, that give them reason to pursue it as a hate crime.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Court records show that his father, Bill McInerney, has had brushes with the law in recent years.

In 2000, he pleaded no contest to disturbing the peace in July, and a few months later to a single count of domestic abuse. McInerney was given 10 days in jail and 36 months' probation for the abuse conviction, records show.

In 2002, he pleaded guilty to drunk driving and being an unlicensed driver. He served five days in jail and was fined."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-oxnard15feb15,0,7663055.story?page=2

I missed this before on page 2 of a link i posted. Seems to show a little about Brandon's home life. I come from an abused home, did i shoot anyone? Not that it gives him an excuse, his behavior is unexcusable and murder is unacceptable.

No, it doesn't clear up the issue. I would also like to hear young McInerney's SIDE of the matter. He is the accused but we have NOT heard from him. We have only heard his accusers. Does that clear up my meaning ?

My grand daughter is in middle school and NO ONE is allowed to wear high heeled boots to school whether they are male or female. I highly doubt that is within any school code. Also I will still say a 14 year old SHOULD NOT be charged as an adult. Unfortunately he is a white student/person and there will be NO marches to get his ruling lowered to juvenile court which in my opinion is a really sad state in this country. :banghead:

No, it doesn't clear up the issue. I would also like to hear young McInerney's SIDE of the matter. He is the accused but we have NOT heard from him. We have only heard his accusers. Does that clear up my meaning ?

My grand daughter is in middle school and NO ONE is allowed to wear high heeled boots to school whether they are male or female. I highly doubt that is within any school code. Also I will still say a 14 year old SHOULD NOT be charged as an adult. Unfortunately he is a white student/person and there will be NO marches to get his ruling lowered to juvenile court which in my opinion is a really sad state in this country. :banghead:

I don't know if there will be marches, but you can bet the defense attorney will move to transfer the venue to juvenile court. (To my knowledge, the race of the shooter is not at issue.)

We don't know yet how that issue will be resolved. But you may have noticed that even the head of the local gay legal society opposes trying McInerney as an adult. So it's a little early to declare this yet another example of how difficult it is to be white and heterosexual in this country.

We are at least mature enough to talk this out, however heated it may get.

Brandon and Larry did not have these skills yet. I think this comes down to one insecure boy against another, and sadly one thought a gunshot would settle the problem.

This happens way too often in our schools for all kinds of reasons. We need to find a way to help our children understand that violence will not resolve anything.

We are at least mature enough to talk this out, however heated it may get.

Brandon and Larry did not have these skills yet. I think this comes down to one insecure boy against another, and sadly one thought a gunshot would settle the problem.

This happens way too often in our schools for all kinds of reasons. We need to find a way to help our children understand that violence will not resolve anything.

Well put and exactly right, Taximom, except that as far as we know, Larry himself did not resort to violence. But he may have unknowingly acted out in ways that served to escalate the conflict rather than resolve it. Much as we might expect of any 15-year-old.

As for Brandon, nothing we've seen convinces me he did anything but imitate the homophobia and poor conflict-resolution skills he had learned from others. Of course, I don't know him. But on paper, he seems like a prime candidate for rehabilitation. If so, I hope a judge will have the political courage to send him back to juvenile court.

Both of these boys' lives are ruined (one is dead, the other will be locked up for a very very long time).
Both of these boys' had terrible situations at home.
Both were outspoken in their own way. Brandon "who wouldn't back down in a confrontation" and would use his physical "prowess to intimidate others";
Larry who was his own person in a self assured, and self defensive, yet refused to change despite being a minority in the majority of his peers at his school.

Both of these boys had a lot of pride (and at their young ages were good at hiding their insecurities through their pride).
Brandon was secure in his physical prowess, Larry was secure in his sexuality.

Being that both of these boys had a great amount of "pride" in their own different ways, it is like a clash of the titans or something.. It seems almost as if they would be perfect rivals. Both did what they wanted to do, not caring what others thought.

From article:

"There are a lot of rumors," said Brandon's friend Jessica, who never saw any arguments between the two. "No one knows what was going through his head. No one really knows for sure."
The day of the shooting, Larry seemed upset, friends said. He had come to school looking different. Gone were the boots and makeup. He wore regular tennis shoes and had his hair gelled and carefully combed to the side, said seventh-grader Laura Gilchrist.
"I said, Dude, what's wrong?'" Matthew said. "He said, Nothing.'"
http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/feb/24/it-doesnt-make-sense/

Something must have really scared Larry for him to change from what he normally wore, scared him very much that he couldn't be himself. Since he was very strongly his own person, i am wondering how many children may have instigated this murder between the two boys. Children, being kids may have been trying to instigate a fight, instead it was a murder.

"In the days before the shooting, Brandon was hanging out around Silver Strand with his friends, doing what they always did: sitting on the jetty, hanging around the taco stand.
Brandon's friend Lauren said the rumors about Larry "hitting on" Brandon were heating up. Kids were joking that Brandon must be gay if Larry was acting that way toward him."
http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/feb/24/it-doesnt-make-sense/

Given the fact that Larry was scared enough to not even wear his normal attire to school and dress it down a notch, Brandon should have left it at that. Given Brandon's bullying nature, and we also don't know how much he may have internalized his anger over the years, he blew up, shot and killed Larry to "prove his masculinity". Children are often insecure in school, and for Brandon, it really bothered him that people would think "he would be gay if Larry was acting that way towards him". The normal thing for Brandon to have done was just shrug it off. To pursue the situation as he did, makes himself look more insecure, yet a 14 year old child most likely will not realize that at that age.
Brandon killed Larry to "prove" he wasn't gay; and because Larry was gay. If Larry had been straight, then he would not have been a threat to Brandon since then he wouldn't risk the rumor of being called gay himself. I think this was instigated by other children spurring him on with rumors.
I do wonder where Brandon was able to get the gun.

Both of these boys' lives are ruined....

Great post, MeoW! Great summary based on what we know thus far.

Just a thought: Wouldn't it be a wonderful if using a gun on an unarmed person were considered so cowardly (as, indeed, it is) that a kid like Brandon would never even think of defending his "honor" with a firearm?!

http://www.wikio.com/us/crime/attempted_murder/lawrence_king

A collection of links on the subject.

And may I ask why I should care what Brandon's home life was like and if that home life was a reason for his shooting Larry? We don't sit around and say, for example, what was Scott Peterson's home life like as a child and then try to use that childhood as an excuse for what he did. One can examine a killer's childhood for clues as to what made them the way they are, but it shouldn't be used to excuse their crimes.

And by the time one is Brandon's age, a person should know that shooting someone point blank in the back of the head, for whatever reason, is wrong.

Great post, MeoW! Great summary based on what we know thus far.

Just a thought: Wouldn't it be a wonderful if using a gun on an unarmed person were considered so cowardly (as, indeed, it is) that a kid like Brandon would never even think of defending his "honor" with a firearm?!

Thank you, Nova.
It certainly says a lot that Brandon decided on the firearm method of defending his "honor". It would have been easier with a fist fight, yet children nowadays sometimes don't think of that anymore, unfortunately. Brandon took it to the extreme.

http://www.wikio.com/us/crime/attempted_murder/lawrence_king

A collection of links on the subject.

And may I ask why I should care what Brandon's home life was like and if that home life was a reason for his shooting Larry? We don't sit around and say, for example, what was Scott Peterson's home life like as a child and then try to use that childhood as an excuse for what he did. One can examine a killer's childhood for clues as to what made them the way they are, but it shouldn't be used to excuse their crimes.

And by the time one is Brandon's age, a person should know that shooting someone point blank in the back of the head, for whatever reason, is wrong.

Anne, welcome to Websleuths! :)

In this case being that Brandon is still a child, it is important to look into his home life. Sure he knows that what he did is wrong, yet many children don't always think about the consequences of their actions. If were a different case, yet still involving a child who committed an act of violence, we would want to look into the home life. Since many children don't resort to such violence, it's important to know where it is stemming from, so their background is important.

Anne, maybe I'm in the minority, but I always wonder what someone's background or family life was like when crimes are committed. A lot of us did talk about Scott Peterson's family life and early childhood. I think there were a number of things that led him to being the person he turned out to be. The choices he made were his own, of course.

I think the same will be found with the killer here. Brandon saw violence, apparently, in his own home as a way to handle certain situations.

This doesn't excuse the crime at all, but I believe it can help us understand why...sometimes.

Anne, maybe I'm in the minority, but I always wonder what someone's background or family life was like when crimes are committed. A lot of us did talk about Scott Peterson's family life and early childhood. I think there were a number of things that led him to being the person he turned out to be. The choices he made were his own, of course.

I think the same will be found with the killer here. Brandon saw violence, apparently, in his own home as a way to handle certain situations.

This doesn't excuse the crime at all, but I believe it can help us understand why...sometimes.

I agree. I always want to understand human behavior. That doesn't mean I necessarily excuse it.

I just heard about this case from a video clip of Ellen Degeneres talking about it. How sad and senseless! My prayers for Larry's friends and family. It's my belief that God is loving Larry now - just as he is, because that's how God created him. Rest in peace, Larry.

<snipped>
He was very brave, at such a young age, to dress how he felt and deal with ridicule that he did.
There seems to be a lot of children across the country coming together against intolerance of those who are different. At least Larry will not go unforgotten; he had a short life, and clearly suffered, yet hopefully his memory living on will make a difference and help promote tolerance if not acceptance among our youth.
:clap: :clap: So well said, MeoW!!

This year's National Day of Silence is being held in honor of Larry.

Lance Bass: 'It's time for me to stand up'

Lance Bass doesn't want others to stay silent as he did.
corner_wire_BL.gif

So he's made a public service announcement for the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN). The spot, which is being distributed virally Friday, debuts in advance of the 11th annual National Day of Silence on April 25, when students take a vow of silence to protest bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools.

[snip]

"Everyday, thousands of students are silenced. They're silenced by fear, they're silenced for being who they are. ... They're brothers, they're sisters, they're gay, they're straight, they're you, they're me."

Bass, who recently completed a stint in the Broadway musical "Hairspray" and released a memoir, said the PSA is meant to honor Lawrence King -- a 15-year-old student was shot and killed in February in Oxnard, California, by a younger boy because he arrived at school in feminine attire.

More at link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/18/people.lance.bass.ap/index.html

For more on the Day of Silence: http://www.dayofsilence.org

To view the PSA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5eUz6iT9s

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro