GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't talk to the media if it's none of the public's business. Don't open a memorial fund if it's none of the public's business. Don't have a candlelight vigil with 1000 people. Don't have LE giving daily press conferences. Don't have LE allowing the media to come to a daily question and answer session. Don't interrupt regularly scheduled programming to give a press conference with no new developments. Don't make a case into a national story if you don't want people across the country asking questions.

As far as I could tell, the victim's family has said very little. Often times the public will show a humbling display of compassion and ask "can we help? what can we do". If the public wants to help or share in your mourning, do you REALLY consider that an open invitation to ask nosy questions like "where do you work" or "how big is your house"?

As for the rest of your statements -- I'm stunned. Are you suggesting that LE shouldn't do it's job? Sometimes LE must engage the press (because of an overwhelming interest in the case -- or to actively put information out in to the public domain and request assistance). Are you suggesting that if LE engages the media at all that it opens the victim and family up to what could lead to a public witch hunt?

Respectfully, Can we please stop the bickering and return the focus to Leila and finding her killer?

Roflmao!

2008 and only 10 post? I just looked at the post count.

Ok so he's not new,.. But he's kinda new at posting... Sooooo...

Glad you're posting!

Long story. I'll tell you about it some day.

If my child were found alive ...I honestly don't know how I'd feel. I think Shawn Hornbeck deserved privacy. As the media didn't help him to be recovered. If. My child was found thanks to the media... I would think, I'd appreciate it so much and be so thankful I wouldn't care what the news bites were.

If my child was dead... Nothing else would matter to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the man know what he was looking for when he saw the vehicle, if the media did not help? :waitasec:

If the media had NOT covered Ben's disappearance, Shawn and Ben would not have been found.

The media DID help. :twocents:

(Though I don't think who finds the victim has anything to do with whether the victim deserves privacy.)

As far as I could tell, the victim's family has said very little. Often times the public will show a humbling display of compassion and ask "can we help? what can we do". If the public wants to help or share in your mourning, do you REALLY consider that an open invitation to ask nosy questions like "where do you work" or "how big is your house"?

As for the rest of your statements -- I'm stunned. Are you suggesting that LE shouldn't do it's job? Sometimes LE must engage the press (because of an overwhelming interest in the case -- or to actively put information out in to the public domain and request assistance). Are you suggesting that if LE engages the media at all that it opens the victim and family up to what could lead to a public witch hunt?

By making a local story into a national media event, the police are opening themselves up to all questions. Why have daily media question-and-answer session if you don't want the media asking questions?

Effective immediately and until further notice, the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office will hold daily informal press briefings/question and answer sessions at the Valley Springs Sheriff’s substation at 1:30 pm.

What would be wrong about the media asking at the briefing...how many points of entrance are there on the house?

The occupation of parents in most cases comes out in the first few days. I never thought it was such a noisy question to ask.

There should be a press conference 1:30 PM, that's in 10 minutes right?

Anyone have a link to where we can see it?

By making a local story into a national media event, the police are opening themselves up to all questions. Why have daily media question-and-answer session if you don't want the media asking questions?

What would be wrong about the media asking at the briefing...how many points of entrance are there on the house?

The occupation of parents in most cases comes out in the first few days. I never thought it was such a noisy question to ask.

I agree-those are all pertinent questions that the media can and does ask at the briefings. Then LE lets them know if they will or will not comment.

I think what the dicsussion has been about was in reference to the media digging into the private lives of the family, i.e. talking to neighbors, friends, relatives, following the family, etc...in order to uncover information (or at time "dirt") on people.

So I don't see this really as bickering, just a respectful debate as to what information is necessary for the public to know in this case at this time and what tactics can and should be used by the media.

I think we can all definitely agree on one thing. Our hearts are all broken for this little girl and her family.

Presser in 2 minutes:

FOX40 News ‏@FOX40 2m

Calaveras Co officials will be updating the #LeilaFowler death investigation in 5 minutes, watch live on any device @ http://FOX40.com/Live

I agree-those are all pertinent questions that the media can and does ask at the briefings. Then LE lets them know if they will or will not comment.

I think what the dicsussion has been about was in reference to the media digging into the private lives of the family, i.e. talking to neighbors, friends, relatives, following the family, etc...in order to uncover information (or at time "dirt") on people.

So I don't see this really as bickering, just a respectful debate as to what information is necessary for the public to know in this case at this time and what tactics can and should be used by the media.

I think we can all definitely agree on one thing. Our hearts are all broken for this little girl and her family.

None of the questions I asked in my original post were trying to get dirt on the family. It's not like I am asking for the media to find out whether the 12-year-old ever got in trouble at school or what his grades were. Or to find out what the previous 911 calls to the house were about. The occupation of the parents...That is something that comes out in every case by this time. Wanting to know what time the family left for the game...whether this was a weekly routine...where Leila was before this happened (Maybe someone saw her) is not a witch hunt against the parents.

Does anyone know if the other man at the vigil was the father's brother? He had his arms around J***** and the 12 year old in many pics.
Would it be possible the neighbor thought she saw the father that day at noon covered in blood, when it was someone else?
The uncle and father seem to be close height....
Also if a child sees an intruder from their house, i would think it makes more sense that if they thought they might know the intruder (who was disguised maybe?) they would follow him a little and call dad or mom.
As opposed to phoning 911 asap.

Also, to take in consideration a 12 year old could do this (there's been cases of younger)
However they usually lack the ability to "cover up" after their crimes.
Does a 12 year old's mind go far enough to plot when and where and how to rid of the knives and possible clothing? If that were to be the case.
The majority of 12 year olds that do get arrested for murder, usually get arrested very quickly as they don't know how to perfect crimes at all.
Also it has been known that it is very hard for children to keep a lie.

Here is a great link for photos of the vigil and the family:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs....=501009999&Ref=PH&Presentation=desktop#img-21

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs....=501009999&Ref=PH&Presentation=desktop#img-14

There are several different pages that show the family.
In one picture, it seems J has his hand gripping the hair of the 12 year old's head (this is photo 19 of 33 (page 4 of 6 in pictures)

The main family pics are on pages 2-4. The uncle and J seem to be touching the 12 year old, possibly to "stabilize?" him. I'm assuming he's medicated, they said he's in shock.
The older daughter looks just like the mother.

My prayers for the family...

DNA evidence takes about 2 weeks to process...still waiting for it to come back

How close are you to an arrest?

I feel we are getting closer and closer every day...We have to rely now on physical evidence, DNA, prints...

How did the man know what he was looking for when he saw the vehicle, if the media did not help? :waitasec:

If the media had NOT covered Ben's disappearance, Shawn and Ben would not have been found.

The media DID help. :twocents:

(Though I don't think who finds the victim has anything to do with whether the victim deserves privacy.)

You're absolutely correct. I was wrong. I take back everything I said in that circumstance posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the sheriff said something like: "It's likely he's from Calaveras County, but it's also likely he's not" or something like that. It doesn't sound like they have narrowed it down much to me.

Has the 12-year-old sat down with a sketch artist?

We're working on that...Part of our investigation.

I feel like if the suspect, even if he was in the area, would not be a danger

(I think....very hard to hear...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads