GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what we haven't heard is probably telling. That was an early-on article, and seems now that the article either had it wrong or that that particular neighbor's sighting has now been debunked as being relevant. Latest reports say they're focusing on the family--meaning, as I read the article, they're focusing on the witness report by the only one they believe saw the culprit.

Only one news station is saying they're focusing on the family - ABC 7 as you quoted - that I've seen. Have you seen any other news stations say that? TIA.

ABC 7 is the same news station that yesterday said there would be an update from LE, and LE said they were cancelling all daily briefs and there would be no update.

Not a reliable news station IMO.

I believe LE has ruled out burglary or robbery as intent/motive, though. There is no evidence of break-in or anything having been taken. (Links upthread.) Also, 21 stab wounds is not something a robber does; if he did it because she witnessed his being there, he'd likely have stabbed the brother as well. Surely an intruder would know she wouldn't be there all alone in the house, and would have gone searching out the babysitter if a foiled robbery attempt so enraged him or caused him to want to eliminate witnesses.

Yes, you are singing my song fwiw. Robbery doesnt appear to have been the motive for sure. That is quite a leap to go from robbery to slaughter. :(

I thought maybe the reason there was someone in the home that didnt raise alarms is because there was a certain comfort with it from having been in it before. I genuinely believe that if it was someone targeting little angel, they believed this was an empty house other than her. If the weapon was from inside of the home, the intruder was carrying it when he encountered Leila.. dont you think?

Forgive me if I'm confused but hadn't the parents been gone almost 3 hrs by the time the son called them ? That would be a mighty long wait for the perp, right?

Yeah, that's true. I guess I didn't think about the time frame. Is it possible though that he was there for some time, maybe not in the house but going through the garage, looking for stolen goods or something to steal himself? How old were her stab wounds and where did the brother first notice the perp? In the house, or coming from the house? I'm just supposing here - nothing in this case seems to make sense because they are keeping their cards close.

Forgive me if I'm confused but hadn't the parents been gone almost 3 hrs by the time the son called them ? That would be a mighty long wait for the perp, right?

No telling; haven't yet seen a link that they'd been gone three hours...

I don't think it should be assumed that a robber wouldn't do this.
No motive REALLY makes sense in this case. She was 8 years old.

People in this community don't always lock their doors.
If someone breaks into an unlocked house, there wouldn't be forced entry.

Someone may have assumed the whole family left together.
If someone is high and breaks in looking for something to steal...
Could have been looking around the house, checking out electronics and stuff.

Then encounters Leila and panics... killing her.
If you have just KILLED a little girl you probably are going to forget about robbing the place.
Probably aren't going to be thinking about checking the house for other people either.

We don't have proof HE saw the brother just that the brother saw him.

It could be a lot like Heather Dawn Church.
He killed her and then took her body with him to hide the evidence.
Her brother was asleep and unharmed.

This is kind of where my mind is right now. Either the perp was after something that they perceived was taken FROM him or he was simply set to rob the place, based on current tenants or old tenants. He could have been in that house for a while before finding Leila, or she finding him. If the brother was outside then...

It could have even been someone at the ball game giving the go-ahead that the family was at the ballpark and the 'coast was clear' so to speak.

Why would the FBI take the TV if the locals hadn't? That is what puzzles me. Evidently the locals didn't deem it as evidence worthy. FBI knew of other tests that could be run?

I don't know why but I feel LE is close to something. Maybe it is the break in routine. First daily PC's then say they have something helpful, then suddenly nothing. I think they are becoming protective of what they have.

Yes, you are singing my song fwiw. Robbery doesnt appear to have been the motive for sure. That is quite a leap to go from robbery to slaughter. :(

I thought maybe the reason there was someone in the home that didnt raise alarms is because there was a certain comfort with it from having been in it before. I genuinely believe that if it was someone targeting little angel, they believed this was an empty house other than her. If the weapon was from inside of the home, the intruder was carrying it when he encountered Leila.. dont you think?

BBM, and well-put: botched robbery doesn't usually seem to lead to this sort of raw slaughter.

Not sure if killer assumed Leila was alone when she was killed. (Most 8 year olds aren't home alone, are they?) If killer was an intruder/burglar, then seems these would be the scenarios:

1) intruder is lying in wait, sees family leave house, goes in. Likely through a doorway, as by several accts, people didn't lock their doors/windows in this neighborhood. But maybe through a window, possibly even a bedroom one.

But:

• If Leila was killed in her bedroom (not ever stated, but I'm leaning that way due to the fact that a twin mattress was hauled out for evidence), then this doesn't make sense to me. Why was there no account of screaming by Leila, either before or during attack? If intruder saw her, she at some point saw him. Was her mouth taped? Did a burglar come armed with duct tape in case he wanted to commit a brutal murder? Did he sneak up on her unawares while she was sleeping? (at noon?)

•Seems an intruder intent on burglary would likely hit the TV or electronics room, first (main living area) if he thought the house was empty. My sister was burgled and they load up the TVs and electronics near the point-of-entry door for easier loading into a getaway vehicle. But unless the boy was also in his bedroom at 12 noon, why wouldn't he have seen or heard him prior to or during Leila's murder? The house is not that big.

OR, 2) Killer did not lie in wait and/or did not know family had gone:

•If the killer were a more polished intruder/burglar, OR had not seen the family drive off to the LL game, he might have first scoped out the house to make double-sure it was empty. But if he encountered Leila along the way, wouldn't she have screamed? If not upon seeing him, at least while she's being stabbed 21 times? Again, why no accounts of screaming?

Only one news station is saying they're focusing on the family - ABC 7 as you quoted - that I've seen. Have you seen any other news stations say that? TIA.

ABC 7 is the same news station that yesterday said there would be an update from LE, and LE said they were cancelling all daily briefs and there would be no update.

Not a reliable news station IMO.

While I think the headline was a little overstated (?), I think the article was accurate enough in that it pointed out that the 'family' they were focusing on was the one witness they still deemed important--as opposed to witnesses they once had considered. And they are indeed focusing more now on the homestead. So I'm not so sure ABC is trying to say someone in the family is guilty, but simply that the investigation's focus is closer to home, now--as opposed to the broader scope for clue-searching they used to have.

JMO and :cow: etc.

911 calls weren't released, to my knowledge.

Here's a little timeline:

9-12 Family has LL game to attend (whose?). Probably up early.

12ish Parents @ game; 12yo calls parents

12ish “nghbr” reports seeing dad with bloody shirt at edge of her driveway asking, “Did you see anything?” *Not sure if this is same nghbr who later recants...

12:15 Parents call 911

12:18ish LE dispatcher calls12 yo; girl has ‘serious’ injuries

12:30ish Parents arr home; Leila “rushed” to hospital still alive; arrives at 12:55

1:01 PM Leila pronounced dead

Here is where I saw it. I trust POM's timeline :)

Oh sorry, I saw somewhere that the game was from 9 to 12 . It might have not been MSM. Sorry if it's not true.

Well, it might be true. Just haven't read the game time anywhere. :) When our kids were in youth sports, games went on all day at intervals at the local parks. But without knowing more, just don't know whether they went to a scheduled noon game, or were there at the end of the session at noon.

WOAH WOAH WOAH. The parents arrived at the home BEFORE the authorities?

That's the one thing I haven't been able to pin down. No mention is made of whether or not parents arrived home prior to authorities or after. Just don't know, but if you find the info, be sure to let us know!

The only account that would make me think parents were there before she got taken to the hospital was that the dad was seen in the bloody t-shirt by a neighbor (and NOT the one who was discredited).

ETA: "-ish" on my timeline means estimated time, or a loosely given time stated in MSM. The times in the timeline without the 'ish' have been documented by MSM (however reliable that may be, lol).

I was wondering about the neighbor saying that BF had blood on him (linked and quoted by others previously).

Unless I missed something, we've seen no reports as to whether or not the brother had blood on him. If he tried to help his sister, I presume he would have gotten bloody. Is it possible that his father then hugged him after arriving home, and that's where the blood on Dad came from?

:cow:

Has it been stated what the make & model # of the TV are? Reason I'm asking is bc some tvs are like stand alone comps, such as a smart tv...therefore could hold some sort of tech mem. Also, some TVs have DVD players built in, therefore there could have been a DVD left in it. This is just pure speculation as I literally have no idea what kind of TV they have, fwiw...

Is there a minimum age in CA for a minor person to legally be able to babysit?

I believe LE has ruled out burglary or robbery as intent/motive, though. There is no evidence of break-in or anything having been taken. (Links upthread.) Also, 21 stab wounds is not something a robber does; if he did it because she witnessed his being there, he'd likely have stabbed the brother as well. Surely an intruder would know she wouldn't be there all alone in the house, and would have gone searching out the babysitter if a foiled robbery attempt so enraged him or caused him to want to eliminate witnesses.

BBM - You never know:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/nyregion/07slay.html?ref=petitfamily&_r=0

"They were both serial burglars with drug habits, having racked up numerous convictions for stealing car keys and pocketbooks.

This time, they took something far more precious.

The men, the authorities say, had already strangled Dr. Petit’s wife, Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, and in short order would also kill the couple’s two daughters, Hayley, 17, and Michaela, 11. The elder suspect, Steven J. Hayes, 44, had poured gasoline on the girls and their mother, according to a lawyer and a law enforcement official involved in the case, in hopes of concealing DNA evidence of sexual assault. He had raped Ms. Hawke-Petit, and his partner, Joshua Komisarjevsky, 26, had sexually assaulted Michaela."

I remember people thinking the dad did it-that there was no way he could have escaped when the others lived.

Is there a minimum age in CA for a minor person to legally be able to babysit?

I do not believe that California has an actual law that I can find, but generally speaking, 12 and up can babysit, depending upon the circumstances. I think, in this case, it appears as though it would be quite acceptable for a 12 year old to be home alone during the day with an 8 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot