GUILTY CA - Leila Fowler, 8, murdered, 12yo charged, Valley Springs, 27 Apr 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it Crystal who was taken by surprise? Or Priscilla? I never know who the media is referring to when they say mom, stepmom, etc.

I never know either and I really wish the media would be more respectful in that sense. Priscilla is the grieving mother and she should be recognized as such without confusion. To be honest, the fact that the stepmom hosted a discussion of Priscilla on her FB page really changed my view of her and the father. I imagine that I'm not alone in feeling that way and that could also have something to do with the current regrets about donating.

I never know either and I really wish the media would be more respectful in that sense. Priscilla is the grieving mother and she should be recognized as such without confusion. To be honest, the fact that the stepmom hosted a discussion of Priscilla on her FB page really changed my view of her and the father. I imagine that I'm not alone in feeling that way and that could also have something to do with the current regrets about donating.

Yep. That completely changed my opinion as well. I understand she's grieving and people can lash out when hurting but its just incomprehensible to me to publicly shame the bio mother of the child who was murdered. I mean really, if this is not the time to come together for the remaining children than what is? It's difficult for me to not judge something like that.

Not to mention that with the cost of burials, cemetery plots, etc. it is very unlikely that enough money was raised to even cover those costs, let alone enough left over to apply to the defense.

If they are really really concerned, they could make an arrangement with the funeral home and family to pay the funeral home directly and not give the money to the family to disperse. Family could advise them of the amount needed to pay funeral home for instance, then they could go write the funeral home a check. If any monies are left, they could be applied for a headstone.

IIRC, it was reported with a link i believe, upthread, that a donor covered LF's funeral expenses.

But I can imagine other needs for money besides IF's defense: The cost of staying elsewhere during the investigation (even if staying at relative's, there's food, gas, etc), possible leave of absence without pay from job or jobs, and the cost of moving- i can only imagine never, ever wanting to go back to that house again.

Yep. That completely changed my opinion as well. I understand she's grieving and people can lash out when hurting but its just incomprehensible to me to publicly shame the bio mother of the child who was murdered. I mean really, if this is not the time to come together for the remaining children than what is? It's difficult for me to not judge something like that.

IMO it is just unbelievably cruel to go that route. You don't have to sing the other parent's praises but damn, hosting a classless public discussion of them says more about you than them.

I grew up with parents that remarried often and never missed an opportunity to trash the ex. That kind of behavior creates such a toxic environment for a child. It is hard not to judge that level of poor parenting.

I agree with hopeful one just creepy. Esp the photos of him with his head on his dad's chest there is just something so off with that picture. Not just the photo but the actions; the look on his face. Disturbing to me.

I think he looks scared or guilty as well. I think that alone is a good thing in that he may not be a budding sociopath. There are several pictures of him laying his head on his father or brother. He is young but from what I have read people who cannot feel empathy and therefore guilt or remorse demonstrate this behavior early on. It just makes the whole case more compelling as to why this happened. I think maybe I want him to be one because thinking he just got angry and did that is worse in my opinion.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

From what I've read, people donated thinking the money would go to the other children, or to help with funeral costs for Leila. I would want my money back, if I felt it was going to be used with something I disagree with. You see, people want to know their money is being used for the other children, or for her burial. I see nothing wrong with objecting to their money being used otherwise. I don't think it's tacky. I think what is tacky, is taking money donated for the welfare of the innocent children, and using it for the implicated child. (I'm not syaing they would do that, but I understand the fear and objection.)

If they truly believe he murdered her, why on earth would they want their money used to possibly defend him?

Then they should have made their donations conditional. Again, it is simply MOO and yours differs. That is okey dokey. I just feel, given the circumstances, it was obvious or should have been that this could be the outcome so to act shocked or second guess their charitable donation seems sort of silly.

again, just MOO

After hearing about this the day it was first reported I backed off. I'm my head I kept saying someone else saw this person so my instinct must be wrong but I could not really shake it off. Now seeing the picture of this boy his eyes remind me of the eyes of the boy who killed Jessica Ridgeway.

Quite possible a public defender will end up being assigned anyway...not many families can afford a pricey defense for a murder charge. Not sure what the guidelines are in CA or if special consideration given to youths charged with a crime, or the finances of this family.

I imagine anyone would say they were shocked by the arrest of a child for the murder of another child, even if they harbored suspicions...it is shocking.

I hope this boy has adequate counsel because as gitana1 pointed out, unless he is put through an intensive program and that's if he is found guilty of the charges, his outlook is bleak.

I still dont understand the timeline, fwiw. As of my last reading either the 12 year old called 911 or his parents did, and how did dad get home before the first responders got there? Dad cradled his dying child, correct?

I hope this boy has adequate counsel because as gitana1 pointed out, unless he is put through an intensive program and that's if he is found guilty of the charges, his outlook is bleak.

I still dont understand the timeline, fwiw. As of my last reading either the 12 year old called 911 or his parents did, and how did dad get home before the first responders got there? Dad cradled his dying child, correct?

I mentioned this in an earlier post but not certain this is what happened:

He called the parents first, they were either on their way home or close to it. Then I think I read the father called 911, whether before he got home or after he got home. But the impression I got was that he called the parents on a cell phone and they were maybe in the car already done with the game. Again, not sure but that's the impression.

Alex Savidge ‏@AlexSavidge 2m KTVU
Sheriff Sgt tells me #LeilaFowler parents want to make public statement following arrest of her 12 yr old brother, possibly in next few days

I mentioned this in an earlier post but not certain this is what happened:

He called the parents first, they were either on their way home or close to it. Then I think I read the father called 911, whether before he got home or after he got home. But the impression I got was that he called the parents on a cell phone and they were maybe in the car already done with the game. Again, not sure but that's the impression.

I seem to remember it like this:

1.). Boy calls parents
2.) Parents call 911
3.). 911 calls boy and speaks to boy

Neither 911 call have been released-neither the inbound nor the outbound. I am hoping they at least release the call from the dad, but can understand not releasing the call to the boy.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Fowlers in terms of community support. They seem to have am awful lot of support from this on FB. There have been numerous statements of undying support for the family by those who do seem closest to them. Which is a good thing as they will surely need it! (this was AFTER the arrest BTW)

I don't buy that this was a run of the mill sibling disagreement, like over the TV or video games, etc. Sadly, the theory that he may have been abusing L. & she threatened to tell makes a lot of sense to me.
I also don't buy that this 12yo is in any way, a 'regular/normal/average' kid. A child doesn't suddenly snap & violently stab a sibling 21 times. Siblings fight & maybe hit or kick each other, pull hair, or push. Not only did the 12yo have to somehow obtain a knife (walk to the kitchen?), he had to stab her over 20 times. Not once did he come to his senses? Not once did he stop to think? He could have stabbed her a couple of times, come to his senses, & stopped. She might have lived. Stabbing someone 21 times takes time & physical effort. L. would have been screaming & fighting for her life.
21 times. I have no sympathy for this 12yo. I have huge doubts whether evil of this magnitude, of juvenile age or not, can be rehabilitated.
RIP, little L. I can't imagine the suffering you went through. :(

Patty Guerra ‏@pattyguerra 32s Modesto Bee
BREAKING: The family of Leila Fowler will make a statement to the media at 3:30 p.m. in Calaveras County.

Patty Guerra ‏@pattyguerra 32s Modesto Bee
BREAKING: The family of Leila Fowler will make a statement to the media at 3:30 p.m. in Calaveras County.

That sounds like they will be SAYING something to the media (like in the form of a press conference) asking of just issuing a statement through a representative.

Leila Fowler Family Press Conference Scheduled
MEDIA RELEASE

Release Date: 05/13/13
Release Number: 18

Leila Fowler Family Press Conference Scheduled

(Valley Springs, CA) The parents of Leila Fowler have requested to make a prepared statement to the media and to the residents of Calaveras County. A press conference will be held May 14, 2013 at 3:30 p.m. The location of the conference will be the Valley Springs Sheriff’s Substation, located at 200 Highway 12, Valley Springs, CA.

https://local.nixle.com/calaveras-county-sheriffs-office/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member