CA CA - Los Angeles, WhtMale 30-45, UP3713, cyanide suicide in hotel room, Oct'93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
[QUOTE="Tired Professor, post: 17072799, member: 268299] But if so, why are we not seeing a missing person’s report? This makes me think that maybe he’s foreign. I get that the report could have been lost, but being foreign might also explain why anyone close to him has yet to locate him.

Yes being foreign is an option but let’s be honest, it’s far more frequent for us to hear that reports were lost, or never taken down by police despite family efforts.And so many MP reports aren’t in Namus.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and you very likely are correct. Like I said I get that the report might have been lost, but I just have a feeling this guy might be foreign. Just a gut feeling for some reason…

Although if he were foreign, I’m guessing the desk clerk might have mentioned that they detected an accent when he checked in.

Welcome to Webslueths. I completely agree with you and also feel he was likely “well off” or at least middle class. This case seems solvable. I can’t help but think that there is/was a BMW sitting abandoned somewhere (quite likely at an airport) or maybe it was abandoned in the care of someone? But if so, why are we not seeing a missing person’s report? This makes me think that maybe he’s foreign. I get that the report could have been lost, but being foreign might also explain why anyone close to him has yet to locate him.

Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes, in my opinion he was "well off too" and this case seems solvable if the man is not foreign, although who knows, with a lot of cold cases being solved now maybe we have the technology for a lot nowadays, that is great!

Your statement of the BMW makes a lot of sense, although some people (sadly) don't care enough to make it because of their relationship to the person or they simply assume they are likely fine. He might have rented that BMW to travel around California if he had been foreign, or even if he was not foreign he could have rented the car, but maybe using "Paul Deering" too or maybe another fake name, or maybe the BMW was actually his.

Him being foreign actually makes sense, because maybe he left family behind that is actually looking for him, but maybe they did not know he was going to the US, or maybe they did but they have no way of contacting the US to look for him. I might be reaching here.

I decided to check what destinations LAX Airport has on the Wikipedia page (Although I should have possibly looked into the official website), and I am basing myself off into what I said about him "Looking" Eastern European or Mediterranean. We are assuming he either was leaving back home or he came to the US through that airport from some of these destinations.

It appears that they have flights for Tel Aviv (Israel, Mediterranean, although he does not strike me as having jewish ancestry) Madrid (Spain, Mediterranean, although he has more of a "slavic" look, but I can see how he could be from here) Warsaw, Chopin (Poland, Eastern European, I really see this) Zurich (Switzerland, more like Central Europe but it can be a lead) Frankfurt and Munich (Germany, more like Central Europe but it can also be a lead) and Instanbul (Turkey, far off and I highly doubt it, but it can lead us somewhere)

If he were to be foreign, I would say he more likely came from these areas.

Although if he were foreign, I’m guessing the desk clerk might have mentioned that they detected an accent when he checked in.

Yes that is probably true, although maybe the clerk was too busy to actually pick up on how the man spoke like or he spoke very good english or maybe english was his native language. Although the interaction with the clerk could have some significance (Was he distressed? Nervous? What was his voice like? Did he say anything out of the ordinary?), but maybe the interaction was not that significant or the clerk might not remember at all.

Hello again, whilst looking at NamUs, I found this missing man from Texas (I am very sorry if he has been submitted before), assuming the theory of him being foreign or wealthy is off:

Lawrence Edward Wells III:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Lawrence Edward Wells III – The Charley Project

On the signature that one of the users submitted, believing he rewrote "Deering" to cover up his real last name, we can see a "W" and a lowercase "E". All credits go to @Tired Professor

F85D422D-57D2-49B7-9AFB-EFF31DC425D6.jpeg

"Wells" would be a fit for what we could see here.

Lawrence also fits the criteria, our UID being 30-50 years old (Lawrence would have turned 30 on June of 1993), UID is 5'9, Lawrence is 5'8 to 5'9, they both have brown hair and blue eyes, the weight is off because Lawrence is 140 pounds while our UID is 182 pounds, although he could have gained (But that is a lot of weight to gain in a year). The jaw is also very similar to the UID's and if I had to pick someone if the UID were to be alive I would pick Lawrence. Although, it does not mention if Lawrence is married or not.

I really hope I am not that far off.

9084_58289.jpg LAX_Hotel_John_Doe_001c.jpg

Last edited:
Hello again, whilst looking at NamUs, I found this missing man from Texas (I am very sorry if he has been submitted before), assuming the theory of him being foreign or wealthy is off:

Lawrence Edward Wells III:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Lawrence Edward Wells III – The Charley Project

On the signature that one of the users submitted, believing he rewrote "Deering" to cover up his real last name, we can see a "W" and a lowercase "E". All credits go to @Tired Professor

View attachment 312714

"Wells" would be a fit for what we could see here.

Lawrence also fits the criteria, our UID being 30-50 years old (Lawrence would have turned 30 on June of 1993), UID is 5'9, Lawrence is 5'8 to 5'9, they both have brown hair and blue eyes, the weight is off because Lawrence is 140 pounds while our UID is 182 pounds, although he could have gained (But that is a lot of weight to gain in a year). The jaw is also very similar to the UID's and if I had to pick someone if the UID were to be alive I would pick Lawrence. Although, it does not mention if Lawrence is married or not.

I really hope I am not that far off.

View attachment 312719 View attachment 312720

I don't think you far off at all. At least you took the time to have a real good look at both of them. The stats fit very good and thanks for pointing that out. My only concern is the story. Lawrence was probably killed by the person(s) who owned him money.

I don't think you far off at all. At least you took the time to have a real good look at both of them. The stats fit very good and thanks for pointing that out. My only concern is the story. Lawrence was probably killed by the person(s) who owned him money.

Thank you for your kindness. Yes that is more than likely I noticed, it really seemed like he planned to come back now that you point that out, but who knows what went through his head and what was happening in his life :/

The weight is actually not off (NamUs gives Lawrence's weight as up to 175 lbs) but if you read Lawrence's thread here on WS, there was even a known suspect in his murder, it just wasn't proven...

There was? Oh no, what happened to the suspect? Why wasn't it ever proven? If the evidence goes to the suspect then I really wonder what could have happened.

There was? Oh no, what happened to the suspect? Why wasn't it ever proven? If the evidence goes to the suspect then I really wonder what could have happened.

On Lawrence's thread, there is an article quoted that it's suspected he was murdered in a dispute over money and that the suspect went on the run. :(

If that information wasn't out there, I'd be for submitting this potential match; you did good sleuthing in finding it honestly. It's circumstances and location that don't match, IMO. (ETA: Not that I have really looked into it myself, though.)

Lawrence's thread is really short, only 14 posts, so a fast read:
TX - TX - Lawrence Wells, 29, Houston, 28 Sept 1992

On Lawrence's thread, there is an article quoted that it's suspected he was murdered in a dispute over money and that the suspect went on the run. :(

If that information wasn't out there, I'd be for submitting this potential match; you did good sleuthing in finding it honestly. It's circumstances and location that don't match, IMO. (ETA: Not that I have really looked into it myself, though.)

Lawrence's thread is really short, only 14 posts, so a fast read:
TX - TX - Lawrence Wells, 29, Houston, 28 Sept 1992

Thanks for the link to Lawrence's thread.

What a selfish reason to murder a poor soul, people can be horrible. If the suspect is out on the run then I really hope he gets held accounatble.

Thank you for the compliment, and yes the story does not match, but who knows, a lot can happen in a year.

Gregory Lee Bolin
  • gregory_lee_bolin_1.jpg
  • gregory_lee_bolin_2.jpg
  • gregory_lee_bolin_3.jpg
    • Missing Since 03/01/2009
    • Missing From Lavaca, Arkansas
    • Classification Endangered Missing
    • Date of Birth 08/15/1978 (40)
    • Age 30 years old
    • Height and Weight 5'9 - 5'11, 155 pounds
    • Medical Conditions Bolin may have been suicidal at the time of his disappearance.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, brown eyes. Bolin has tattoos on both arms, right shoulder and upper left arm. His nickname is Greg.
    Details of Disappearance
    Bolin was last seen when his sister dropped him off at a male cousin's residence in the in the 1500 block of Utah Ranch Road in Lavaca, Arkansas on March 1, 2009. His pickup truck, a blue older model Chevrolet, was parked there when his sister dropped him off between 1:00 and 1:30 a.m. At approximately the same time, Bolin's cousin woke up and heard a vehicle engine.

Bolin has never been heard from again. After his disappearance, his pickup truck was found in Mudtown Bottoms, near the Arkansas River; it had a flat tire and Bolin's personal belongings were inside.

Bolin had been staying with various friends and relatives in the area at the time of his disappearance. He had a painting job on March 2, but failed to show up for it. Prior to his disappearance, Bolin's cousin had accused him of working as a police informant, but the two had made peace. At the time he went missing, Bolin had an outstanding felony warrant for his arrest. The circumstances of his disappearance are unclear and his case remains unsolved.
  • AR - AR - Gregory Lee Bolin, 30, Lavaca, 1 Mar 2009

Gregory Lee Bolin
  • gregory_lee_bolin_1.jpg
  • gregory_lee_bolin_2.jpg
  • gregory_lee_bolin_3.jpg
    • Missing Since 03/01/2009
    • Missing From Lavaca, Arkansas
    • Date of Birth 08/15/1978 (40)
    • Age 30 years old
    • Height and Weight 5'9 - 5'11, 155 pounds
    • Medical Conditions Bolin may have been suicidal at the time of his disappearance.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, brown eyes. Bolin has tattoos on both arms, right shoulder and upper left arm. His nickname is Greg.
    Details of Disappearance
    Bolin was last seen when his sister dropped him off at a male cousin's residence in the in the 1500 block of Utah Ranch Road in Lavaca, Arkansas on March 1, 2009. His pickup truck, a blue older model Chevrolet, was parked there when his sister dropped him off between 1:00 and 1:30 a.m. At approximately the same time, Bolin's cousin woke up and heard a vehicle engine.

Bolin has never been heard from again. After his disappearance, his pickup truck was found in Mudtown Bottoms, near the Arkansas River; it had a flat tire and Bolin's personal belongings were inside.

Bolin had been staying with various friends and relatives in the area at the time of his disappearance. He had a painting job on March 2, but failed to show up for it. Prior to his disappearance, Bolin's cousin had accused him of working as a police informant, but the two had made peace. At the time he went missing, Bolin had an outstanding felony warrant for his arrest. The circumstances of his disappearance are unclear and his case remains unsolved.
  • AR - AR - Gregory Lee Bolin, 30, Lavaca, 1 Mar 2009
Our doe was found in 1993. This guy went missing in 2009.

Our doe was found in 1993. This guy went missing in 2009.
Wrong thread. I apologize… this is the one I should have posted but the age is off:
  • krafft_john.jpg
    upload_2022-1-31_9-11-3.jpeg
Krafft, circa 1992

• Missing Since 11/02/1992
  • Missing From Hutchinson, Kansas
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 20 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'11 - 6'0, 165 - 175 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Krafft may have been suicidal at the time of his disappearance.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Krafft's nickname is Duke.
Details of Disappearance
Krafft was last seen in Hutchinson, Kansas on November 2, 1992. He was supposed to meet his mother for dinner that evening, but he never arrived and has never been heard from again.

Krafft graduated Hutchinson High School in 1990 and enrolled in the University of Kansas (KU), but he became involved with drugs and alcohol while in college and dropped out after only a couple of months. He took a job in a restaurant and enrolled in Hutchinson Community College, then went to live with an uncle in Virginia, then returned to Kansas and re-enrolled in KU.

On the day of his disappearance, Krafft's mother told him he could not stay in her home as long as he continued to abuse alcohol and drugs. They made plans to meet that night for dinner, then parted ways. They never saw each other again.

Krafft's red 1986 Kawasaki motorcycle with the Kansas license plate number CCK09 disappeared with him. There was a report that U.S. Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) agents stopped him on his motorcycle at the Mexican border, but this has not been confirmed.

Krafft's mother had him declared legally dead in 1999. His case remains unsolved.
John Lee Krafft III – The Charley Project
MISSING IN KANSAS: John Krafft, III
4937DMKS - John Lee Krafft III

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member