CA CA - Lynn Connes, 20, Berkeley, 20 May 1976

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know how to link but information about the Berkeley Barb can be found on Wikipedia and also on berkeleybarb.net. On the latter website, they have digitalized info. I'm going to look through it. My data has been slowed so it may take a while.
I had not heard of this paper! I will look through it as well.

Oh, good! At this moment I'm trying to navigate the April/May '76 personals archives since Lynn disappeared in May ( that's correct, isn't it?). As I'm writing this, I realize that it would probably be wise to look up personals prior to April , too. If she advertised, who knows how long she advertised before disapppearing.

Oh, good! At this moment I'm trying to navigate the April/May '76 personals archives since Lynn disappeared in May ( that's correct, isn't it?). As I'm writing this, I realize that it would probably be wise to look up personals prior to April , too. If she advertised, who knows how long she advertised before disapppearing.
Yes! I've started with the week prior to her disappearance and am working backwards.

Yes! I've started with the week prior to her disappearance and am working backwards.
That sounds like the best way to do it. I was trying to work forwards from April. Lol. I actually haven't been able to access the personals. I'm trying to figure out how to do it.

There are a few local Berkeley newspapers that I wanted to try but kept running into needing a subscription to GeneologyBank or whatever database was holding them. It's also possible that Lynn's ad is somewhere on microfilm, still undigitized.

Would one have to go to the library to look at the microfilm if it's not digitalized? Pardon the naive question.

My God.

Is Lynn the girl in yellow????

Hmmm...

For comparison. Cropped, because his photos...just...yuck. I'm wondering if the photo of Lynn is a senior yearbook, and a few years old?

View attachment 226740 View attachment 226741 View attachment 226742

OMG I just got chills when I saw this. It really does look like her! If only someone (like that waitress?) could confirm what Lynn might've been wearing that day.

Hmmm....it seems Naso had a weird obsession with double initials.

Ly(nn) Co(nn)es

I wonder if Lynn used her full name in her ad?

I didn't understand the "double initials" thing. Did Naso actually use these initials somewhere?

Hi, StarrChance,
So glad you found this article! I agree with Beekarina that Lynn altered her name to "Lynore" when she advertised. This poor sweetheart. Maybe she was hoping and dreaming of a successful modeling career in which she'd be known by that pretty name.

@JSolt1210 Naso had several victims with names following a "double initial" pattern, like Carmen Colon, Pamela Parsons, etc. and he was suspected at one time of being responsible for the Alphabet Murders in NY as well.

OMG I just got chills when I saw this. It really does look like her! If only someone (like that waitress?) could confirm what Lynn might've been wearing that day.

I didn't understand the "double initials" thing. Did Naso actually use these initials somewhere?

Hi, JSolt1210, according to Charley Project, Lynn was wearing a black shirt, black pants and a tan colored scarf.
The double initials subject was in regard to the fact that a significant number of Naso' s known victims' names had double initials.

From NamUs
Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Black top, black bell bottom pants, tan scarf.

Jewelry
Silver ring with an etched design

Naso had a “thing”for stockings and legs,from the little I have just read about him and I’m assuming a model would willingly change clothes.

The double letter thing was more the capital letter of first and last name matching, again just reading about him.

The Berkeley Barb was was known in that era as an Underground Paper. It focused on counter-cultural issues of Berkeley at the time. It also had a “ lively” want ad section that that catered to interests that might be commonplace on the internet today but would off limits in most newspapers. An offer to do “ modeling” would be right up their alley. It would be unlikely for anyone to use there full name on the ad however.

@JSolt1210 Naso had several victims with names following a "double initial" pattern, like Carmen Colon, Pamela Parsons, etc. and he was suspected at one time of being responsible for the Alphabet Murders in NY as well.

Hi, JSolt1210, according to Charley Project, Lynn was wearing a black shirt, black pants and a tan colored scarf.
The double initials subject was in regard to the fact that a significant number of Naso' s known victims' names had double initials.

From NamUs
Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Black top, black bell bottom pants, tan scarf.

Jewelry
Silver ring with an etched design

Naso had a “thing”for stockings and legs,from the little I have just read about him and I’m assuming a model would willingly change clothes.

The double letter thing was more the capital letter of first and last name matching, again just reading about him.

Thank you so much to you all for the clarification. I guess I imagined that maybe Naso had made a list of the initials of the women he had encountered, but I see now where I misread.

I wonder: if Naso had placed the ad, and she answered it with the name "Lynore," then maybe he just planned to have sex with her. From the website linked above, the one with the pictures, it seems like he had sexual encounters with some girls without harming them. But perhaps when he asked for her full name and noticed the double letters, that set him off?

Also, could he have brought a change of clothes with him, or had one at his "studio" as part of his modeling ruse? If the girl in yellow is Lynn, she had to have changed her clothes at some point from what she was last seen wearing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merythe
Back