CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes parks don't communicate well. this summer I was camping high up at 5,000 ft. hiked one day and come back to the site to see a mobile bear trap parked on the site next to me with crime scene tape all around it. it was a rather unsettling feeling. the trap had rotting food place on one end.

Depending on the weather/temperature, TB may not have "zipped up".meaning keeping some of flaps to mesh windows unzipped to allow for better cooling circulation, or in the case of infants small children, for the olfactory factor. This would provide a shooter to see into the Tent as a peeping tom. An inexpensive headlamp set on red would do the trick. It's sort of creepy to think about. It sort of comes with the territory of camping, although there is an unwritten camper's rule that you never mess with some one else's site. My main worry is bears,not people, but I comfort myself knowing, if I were to make a meal for Mr. Bear, at least I would die doing something I loved.

That tent looks really tight to me, though. In fact, I was very surprised that the fly was full on even though I don't believe rain was in the forecast. The lower hem of the fly wasn't even staked even a few inches from the tent to keep fresh air coming in. In warm weather, you'd generally do that even when mildly raining.

It must have been really muggy in that tent.

Of course, a light sky (lit up both by the city and because it was midsummer) may have kept the kids awake, so a tight pitch would have minimized light intrusion.

The likelihood of dew might persuade a seasoned camper to cover the whole tent with the fly. However, I'm not sure whether dew is a factor in CA summers.

There was some really important reason why that tent was sealed so tight. It caught my attention right away. I wouldn't do it that way myself under those conditions, so it stood out.

Maybe the victim was afraid...

Last edited:
That tent looks really tight to me, though. In fact, I was very surprised that the fly was full on even though I don't believe rain was in the forecast. The lower hem of the fly wasn't even staked even a few inches from the tent to keep fresh air coming in. In warm weather, you'd generally do that even when raining.

Of course, a light sky (lit up both by the city and because it was midsummer) may have kept the kids awake, so a tight pitch would have minimized light intrusion.

Afraid of what? Some humidity? The city lights? You must mean more than that.

I'm a solo tent camper, and this is my worst fear. Because you are totally defenseless. Same with hiking. It's why I choose state parks with security, campground host, a ranger. The time of the attacks is interesting. You can usually rely on some campers staying up in the wee hours playing pinochle with some Seagrams and a pack of smokes or pouch of Red Man nearby. On the other hand, some are up at the crack of dawn, frying that bacon, boiling the coffee, and lacing up the boots. So the shooter had to time things exactly right to achieve witnessless. I suspect it was a local yokel.

Thank goodness, incidents like this are very rare, considering the number of campers every year.

Some testimony to that factoid...

I have only ever had 2 incidents (in many hundreds of nights camping).

One was kids who got into my site while I was out. A cop came right away and evicted their families. No harm was done.

The second happened in pitch darkness in a national park, when I was finally relaxing after spending 2 hours rigging my picnic table tarp. It was raining. A man came through the bushes (not protocol!) and asked, "Where's your husband?" Silent expletive on my part. "Where's your husband?" Yowza. This was scary. I was by myself. I asked him what he wanted. He needed a man. I tried again.... It turned out, he had never been camping before, never put up the tent he'd borrowed, it was pouring rain, the instructions had dissolved, and he didn't bring a flashlight. He needed a man to help him.
My response? "No problem. I put up tents for a living." It was the orneriest tent I've ever put up—it had rooms, and compartments, and nooks, and lofts, and a fly that looked like a beanie on top of a tent (verging on useless)...—but never mind. Boy, was he shocked!

He had never seen a headlamp before.....

He outfitted himself the next day with appropriate camping gear.

I had to tell him that protocol dictated that you never enter someone's site uninvited, and you always enter from the front. I had never really thought about it before: it's just the way it is.

Other campers gave him instruction, too.

People are exceptionally observant of camping protocol and respect for other people's sites. It's extraordinary really.

I didn't interview him for an article so I'm not sure why I would say that as it would not be truthful. I posted about my first-hand experience at the park on an internet discussion forum.

The park super as well as the LASD person said that they've talked to lots of people who've been concerned about the shooting. Everyone was happy to talk to us, just as they've been with many people who've inquired about the shooting. I commend them for this, even though I also wish they'd put some kind of advisory up in the park as this situation is far more concerning than ticks or rattlesnakes. We didn't hear anything that would be considered confidential at all and more to the point, we weren't asking questions about details of the crime. Our interest was public safety in the park in light of recent incidents so that's what we discussed.

Thank you very much for doing this. It's interesting information.

Why this particular site/tent, if it was a random act?
Why were 2 shots fired, instead of 1? And why are the shots fired from very different angles?
If the perp walked into campground, where was his car parked?

Why this particular site/tent, if it was a random act?
Why were 2 shots fired, instead of 1? And why are the shots fired from very different angles?
If the perp walked into campground, where was his car parked?

Witnesses reported 4-6 shots fired.

There is no information about the angles from which shots were fired. LE has not released any information. If you have a source for your claim, it would be helpful if you shared it here.

(You've said before that you don't feel you need to do research to comment here, but it does help to know the basics about an incident before you post.)

The shooter could have parked anywhere along Las Virgenes Rd or the Waycross turn-off or on Las Virgenes Canyon Rd across the street near the Hindu Temple. It takes about 3 minutes to access the campground on foot from any of those locations. This is all very obvious on Google Maps or even on the campground map which has been linked to numerous times on this thread.

The second happened in pitch darkness in a national park, when I was finally relaxing after spending 2 hours rigging my picnic table tarp. It was raining. A man came through the bushes (not protocol!) and asked, "Where's your husband?"

Those are neat stories. I am also amazed on how few problems there are in state and national parks.

As a side note, I can see myself doing what the man did. Not coming through the bushes, or approaching with out being waved in, but immediately asking to speak to the husband.

If I can avoid it, I don't generally initiate conversations with married women unless the husband is present. Likewise, I will ask to speak to her husband first about requests etc . I don't follow this to the same level as say, Orthodox Jews, but I also don't seek out alot of contact with unaccompanied married women either. I presume women to be married unless I know otherwise.

Anyways, I never thought of how this could un nerve somebody. Now, I clearly see that it can in certain situations.

Witnesses reported 4-6 shots fired.

There is no information about the angles from which shots were fired. LE has not released any information. If you have a source for your claim, it would be helpful if you shared it here.

(You've said before that you don't feel you need to do research to comment here, but it does help to know the basics about an incident before you post.)

The shooter could have parked anywhere along Las Virgenes Rd or the Waycross turn-off or on Las Virgenes Canyon Rd across the street near the Hindu Temple. It takes about 3 minutes to access the campground on foot from any of those locations. This is all very obvious on Google Maps or even on the campground map which has been linked to numerous times on this thread.
My source on "2 shots fired" was an early TVnews report out of LA. The reporter stated there were 2 shots into the tent, one from the top and one from the side of the tent.

For those who are local, I'd ask if the campground is still closed? Has a re-opening been discussed? Have you noticed an increase in police presence? Are the adjacent camp areas also closed?

It appears to be closed indefinitely.

Campgrounds at Malibu Creek State Park are closed until further notice due to an ongoing investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. To ensure public safety, all camping reservations for the park have been cancelled until the campground reopens. Reservation holders are being contacted and refunds will be provided. Day-use areas at the park will remain open. California State Parks apologizes for the inconvenience. However, the safety of our park visitors is our top priority. California State Parks issued a statement on the incident on Monday, June 25.

Malibu Creek SP

There was some really important reason why that tent was sealed so tight. It caught my attention right away. I wouldn't do it that way myself under those conditions, so it stood out.

Those photos are from after LE was on scene for several hours. How do we know it wasn't LE that closed up all the zips and tightened the lines?

In general, you can be pretty lax about your tent setup in SoCal. You can usually be 100% certain it's not going to rain (at most times of year - when it's going to rain, you get the heck out of the campground before it floods). In many places, insects/mosquitos aren't an issue, although there's water sources in the park so you might have them in a wet year. You don't necessarily hurry to patch up holes in your tent or maybe you just stick a piece of tape on it. Dew isn't much of a problem so you might not keep up with sealing your seams. Compared to other places, hazards are few.

I agree with all this. I've done lots of solo camping, in a tent and in my car and I have a list of safe places I'll seek out for overnight stops. A serviced campground is definitely one of them. Camping with others, I'm more into backcountry where you don't hear other people's noise.

And the timing - 4.45 am is not necessarily the dead zone in a campground. There's usually some group planning to see sunrise on the lookout point or someone up to make coffee before hitting the trails or going climbing or fishing or whatever. Some people go to bed early when they camp and are up at dawn - this is part of their camp routine. But I guess no one was up yet on that Friday morning - and the shooter had the confidence to know he could walk in an fire away.
I've thought the same, and makes me inclined to think a person didn't just walk in, do this, and leave. They were there long enough to know no one was awake to see them.

That tent looks really tight to me, though. In fact, I was very surprised that the fly was full on even though I don't believe rain was in the forecast. The lower hem of the fly wasn't even staked even a few inches from the tent to keep fresh air coming in. In warm weather, you'd generally do that even when mildly raining.

The likelihood of dew might persuade a seasoned camper to cover the whole tent with the fly. However, I'm not sure whether dew is a factor in CA summers.

California has been insanely dry this year - and the last few years, for the most part - I would think the humidity would be next to nothing, FWIW.

I'm inclined to say he was less likely "afraid," as he was cautious. You have your 2 toddler aged kids with you, so you're likely going to be a little more cautious and protective than you would be if it were just adults.

We nearly always put up the fly and have it closed at night for privacy reasons, so for instance I can change without worrying about who's peeking. If it's very hot we might roll up the flaps but I don't think we've ever left it off completely.

Tristan was not only the nicest, most caring person, look at some of the research he was working on. He was trying to cure cancer.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...ontributions/38887106_Tristan_T_Beaudette/amp

Hi GB and Gary,
So sorry for your loss! I can't imagine what you, Erica and the girls, and the rest of Tristan's family, his friends, and colleagues are going through! It was tough enough to lose both of my parents (in their 80s, but 1 unexpectedly) this year. I can't imagine my grief if it had been a family member in the prime of their life who had been murdered!

Anyway....if you are still here, I'd like to please ask some questions if you don't mind.

We were previously looking at some stills from news videos of Tristan's tent, trying to visualize the bullet holes that his brother-in-law had apparently mentioned. There are some on this website with law enforcement and/or ballistics experience (not me, however...)
Re:
Murdered Scientist Tristan Beaudette’s Brother Offers Theory On Tragic Shooting
Investigators Stumped In Scientist's Mysterious Killing At Calabasas Campground
Scientist Fatally Shot While Camping With His Daughters

A) Has Scott described to you first hand what he witnessed when he entered Tristan's tent? I'm sure it's very hard to have to think about this, but anything you can share may be helpful.

1) Regarding the gunshots and the holes Scott saw in the tent:
- how many were there?
- where exactly were they located?
- were they big (ie, could at least 1 of the holes have been a confluence of holes caused my multiple gunshots)?

2) What position (sorry) was Tristan in when Scott found him?

It was initially reported that Tristan was shot in the chest, as though the head wound was missed. I didn't even think paramedics had been called to the scene (a fellow camper informed us) as they are unlikely to miss a head wound. And a missed head wound may (?)mean a smaller caliber weapon (from what I understand).

3) Did the girls (so sorry) say anything specific to Scott about what happened when he entered the tent?

I know they are very young, but I'm curious as to whether the shooter may have made any sort of contact with Tristan before they fired.

4) Did Scott hear the gunshots or did the girls' crying/screaming (sorry again) wake him up?

Was your family influenced by the LASD or park police to think this was a random shooting?
It's OK if you think it was random, I'm not judging! I think it was probably random too, and likely related to the previous shootings in the park.
The reason I'm asking is that it appears the LASD and park police prematurely, and without full information, spoke with the media about Tristan being shot in the chest. And I'm wondering if when they spoke with Scott they may have led him to a conclusion that Tristan's brother may then have repeated. Just in case it isn't random....

B) Did Tristan have a conversation (phone call, text messages) with Erica while at the campground? Did he mention anything specific about the campground? ie, comments about the site, bathrooms, etc.
I 'm asking this just in case someone working at the campground (a seasonal maintenance worker or other staff) might be the shooter.
I had made an earlier post about the possibility that a worker's incorrect negative perception could have possibly led to certain campers having been targeted. (ie, if someone accidentally missed a trash can, or if a young child peed on the floor in the bathroom, etc).

C) Just in case Tristan's shooting wasn't random I'd like to ask the following (and it's OK if you would prefer not to answer, or are unable to answer):

1) Regarding his new job, did Tristan accept a position for a pharmaceutical company or was it an academic appointment (or a mix)?
-Large company, mid-size, small company?
-Start up company?
As a cancer survivor I can tell you I really appreciate the work that people like Tristan do!!

2) Was Tristan recruited for the position or did he apply?

3) Did Tristan apply for any other jobs? Was he offered another position(s)?

The reason I'm asking is that just in case Tristan's murder wasn't random, there could potentially be a motive related to his work. Especially, perhaps, if Tristan's successful work with one pharmaceutical company might essentially lead to great financial loss for another company (for example, a small company whose main focus is curing cancer, etc).
(I'm not talking about any kind of "Big Pharma" conspiracy stuff.)

My condolences to your family! And thank you for any information you choose to share :)

I agree with all this. I've done lots of solo camping, in a tent and in my car and I have a list of safe places I'll seek out for overnight stops. A serviced campground is definitely one of them. Camping with others, I'm more into backcountry where you don't hear other people's noise.

And the timing - 4.45 am is not necessarily the dead zone in a campground. There's usually some group planning to see sunrise on the lookout point or someone up to make coffee before hitting the trails or going climbing or fishing or whatever. Some people go to bed early when they camp and are up at dawn - this is part of their camp routine. But I guess no one was up yet on that Friday morning - and the shooter had the confidence to know he could walk in an fire away.

On June 22 dawn in Malibu was 5:15 a.m. Sunrise was 5:42. So shots heard at 4:45ish came while it was still as completely dark as it was ever going to be on that date, night owls would be most likely to have turned in, but dawn risers/sunrise observers wouldn't be up just yet and twilight wouldn't have begun. I agree with Jim G that the "witnessless" factor and maximum possible darkness were key to any strategy on the shooter's part, and indicate knowledge of local daylight and darkness on the third-longest day of the year. That doesn't imply that the shooter is local however as all this info pulls up with a simple time/date/location search.

(edited to remove duplicated text, and to correct handle of referenced WS poster)

Last edited:
On June 22 dawn in Malibu was 5:15 a.m. Sunrise was 5:42. So shots heard at 4:45ish came while it was still as completely dark as it was ever going to be on that date, night owls would be most likely to have turned in, but dawn risers/sunrise observers wouldn't be up just yet and twilight wouldn't have begun. I agree with Jim G that the "witnessless" factor and maximum possible darkness were key to any strategy on the shooter's part, and indicate knowledge of local daylight and darkness on the third-longest day of the year. That doesn't imply that the shooter is local however as all this info pulls up with a simple time/date/location search.

(edited to remove duplicated text, and to correct handle of referenced WS poster)
I just wanted to chime in regarding the time. As I understand it according to the reports from camper roadtripper the shots were heared at 4:27. He reported that he checked his cell phone right when the shots woke him up (referring to his posts earlier in this thread). So the 4:45 time is most likely the time LE received the 911 call (or possibly when they arrived at the scene..but I tend to believe it would be the 911 call. Just want to make sure we are using the latest information we have regarding the actual times etc. :)

4.30a-4.45a isn't really that early in that area. It might be dark (the roads there are well-lit) but it was a Friday morning and the commute starts early in SoCal. Las Virgenes Road goes from the 101 Freeway to the PCH, Mulholland runs east-west across the ridges and connects to other thoroughfares.

Everyone is looking for the least-stressful route to work. At tech companies in Santa Monica or Playa, people adjust their hours to very odd times to avoid peak commuter hell. You'll find people who will go in at 3.30a if it means they can be out in the early afternoon because it has a very direct impact on your quality of life.

People get up at that hour to run or workout or, depending on tides, surf. I'm a horse person and in that area, there are a lot of small private horse properties at which people tend to be early risers.

The Starbucks in Calabasas, 3.8 miles away from the campground, opens at 4.30a. The Starbucks at Cross Creek, on PCH just south of Las Virgenes, also opens at 4.30a.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7